Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 31st 2010, 2:47 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by J.J
June & John in our 60's
From Lincs & Norfolk UK
In Raleigh NC since 1992
Naturalized USC's
Going back June 16 2010,
Closed on house last Friday -anti-climatic 15 mins, just us and lawyer.
Brought 1 cat, taking a replacement back with us.

Currently tired of packing boxes (24 so far). Sometimes we look at the stack and think yeh, a nice tidy minimized collection of our treasures, sometimes we think heck, lets toss it all and re-start totally. DH struggled today with letting go of his handtools and fishing tackle. He ended up keeping some, ditching some.

Married 33 yrs, no other family in US, we have no kids, DH has a couple grown kids from previous marriage but they removed themselves from his life. We both have Bro's and extended family in UK.
Hello J J. We emigrated to Oz from Cranwell in Lincolnshire. Both children born in Lincoln. OH's mum was Mayor of Great Yarmouth and that was where we got married. I just love Norfolk. Yarmouth is a bit tired and scruffy now but out in the countryside is so beautiful. Now back to those packing boxes - wish it was me.

My background. Born in Portsmouth, 1951, moved to Austria in 1953 (Dad in British Army) moved to Germany in 1954. Boarding School in Newbury. 1964 Dad posted back to N. Ireland. Joined the RAF, posted to Hereford, met OH, posted to Waddington, Lincs. Emigrated to Perth 1976. OH in RAAF so lived in Malaysia for 3 years and posted throughout Aust. Now 'settled' in Canberra. Both children are married and live here. 3 little grandchildren. Nowhere in Aust seems like home or feels like home. I can honestly say I have seen the length and breadth of this country and no amount of smarmy advertising can entice me to want to live my golden years out here. Can't wait to go home on hols in August. I know I will miss the family here, the question is 'how much will they miss me' - probably for about 30mins Good luck to all the dear friends out there who are achieving their dreams it just inspires me so much. Anna in Malta, you are just one dynamo - simply brilliant Barb I know I am probably going to eat my words once I say goodbye to the little ones, I'm sort of prepared for it, at least I know I can log on and talk to someone who understands the heartbreak of it all.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Hello J J. We emigrated to Oz from Cranwell in Lincolnshire. Both children born in Lincoln. OH's mum was Mayor of Great Yarmouth and that was where we got married. I just love Norfolk. Yarmouth is a bit tired and scruffy now but out in the countryside is so beautiful. Now back to those packing boxes - wish it was me.

My background. Born in Portsmouth, 1951, moved to Austria in 1953 (Dad in British Army) moved to Germany in 1954. Boarding School in Newbury. 1964 Dad posted back to N. Ireland. Joined the RAF, posted to Hereford, met OH, posted to Waddington, Lincs. Emigrated to Perth 1976. OH in RAAF so lived in Malaysia for 3 years and posted throughout Aust. Now 'settled' in Canberra. Both children are married and live here. 3 little grandchildren. Nowhere in Aust seems like home or feels like home. I can honestly say I have seen the length and breadth of this country and no amount of smarmy advertising can entice me to want to live my golden years out here. Can't wait to go home on hols in August. I know I will miss the family here, the question is 'how much will they miss me' - probably for about 30mins Good luck to all the dear friends out there who are achieving their dreams it just inspires me so much. Anna in Malta, you are just one dynamo - simply brilliant Barb I know I am probably going to eat my words once I say goodbye to the little ones, I'm sort of prepared for it, at least I know I can log on and talk to someone who understands the heartbreak of it all.
This is truly amazing!! I am loving reading all these backgrounds, aren't we just an awesome bunch of people?? Going back a few hundred years, we would have been the ones on the covered wagons, doing the trail blazing......and in the future we are the ones forming settlements on Mars and other planets!!!: Where do you think our adventurous genes come from?? I know mine are from my parents, and I hopeI have passed them down to my children Or are we just all restless spirits who can't make up our minds about anything??

So do I have this right - we have JJ and Lazy being the next ones to return home??? How exciting!!! yes, scary too, but don't think about that part. Everything worth doing has an element of fear in it, c'est la vie.

Barb/Beedubya, you are just not meant to find a job jet, you are meant to enjoy your children/grandchildren now - people are more important than work!
Old May 31st 2010, 6:49 pm
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Magistrate /Val ,55 years old. Born and lived in Preston ,Lancs most of my life,moved to Florida in 95 ,returned last year due to ill health,no regrets ,living in Devon ,my partner of of 18 years took a long time to find but has been my rock thru very hard times.
Old May 31st 2010, 7:03 pm
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thanks Honeybun.
Gosh I had no idea we had two Barbara's posting, I always think Barb is Beedubya...

Perth WA, stupid me thought for a moment that WA was the State of Washington, the same initials. I'm all squared away now, at least with you. Hahahahahaa...
Trouble is that we are both Barb and both in Oz.
Divorced
2 children (one here and one left in UK)
3 grandchildren - all here
Lived in Malta whilst married to marine
Going back to UK but unknown when

Barb - honeybun
Old May 31st 2010, 8:04 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
QUOTE]

Thought it was just me that keeps getting everyone mixed up. LOL
Calle
(Trish, that is 55, born in Plymouth, went with family to Florida at 5, came home to UK 5 years ago. Now live in Alsager, Cheshire.)

Hi Calle, so interesting to see you had been out of the UK since you were 5, similar to me, I was 7 when my parents dragged of to to darkest Africa! How did you feel finally returning to UK at the age of 50? Were you able to find work easily? I am 54 and planing to return this year and terrified that I will struggle to find a job. I am a PA at corporate level and I see plenty of jobs advertised but that does'nt mean a thing, especially with having no UK experience. This is probably my biggest concern, otherwise I cant WAIT!! [/QUOTE]

Hi WAWA,
Upon returning, it was a true mixture of some things never change even to my memories as a small child. on the other hand, it was a bit overwhelming as some things were completely foreign to me! I came through it by way of many tears and even more laughter. You have to allow yourself that. Oh, and you have to allow yourself that time to become comfortable and familiar with your surroundings and your culture. It's part of the package, but well worth it. It did take a while (a year) for me to find work, but thats only because I thought I could do it on my own. As soon as I went to a temp agency for help, I was in. Thats all it really takes. That first break. There are many many happy people of our age in the workplace, its just finding that break in the chain to push yourself in to it. You do have some good qualifications, so just go to several job centres and let them help you get into the work force.

calle (Trish), Cheshire
Old May 31st 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

I like Tea - Helen
61 years old
Divorced after 30 years of marriage !
3 children - son 29 single, daughter & husband returning after working in UK for 5 years with 2 children, youngest daughter living in London has UK boyfriend
Lived in Brisbane since 1974 and wanted to go back since 1981
Have visited UK many times since and never wanted to come back.
Find it very hard living here doesn't fit with my personal belief system and values.
Still working full time and hope to retire in next two years.
Hope to return to UK and live but have reservations about leaving children.
Old May 31st 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mrs Sully..... When you go back in August take a good look at what you are missing and decide if you can live without it for the rest of your life. There will come a day when travel will not be easy, just like when the children where small and it was hard so it is when we get older. Husbands or even you might get sick and then it all becomes way too complicated. You have the opportunity when you go back in August to make plans make your OH realize that his is what YOU want. I have know so many friends from the UK who wanted to return but just left it too late and got passed the age of being able to make the move.

I was thinking about what I had written previously and have to add that when I married my husband who is an American made sure that I knew he could not stay in the UK his job was in the US. I was young and foolish and thought love could conquer all but I soon learnt it could not fill the void of family and the place I loved. Once I had agreed to come back to the US the second time that was it.
I think in a way we are or those over 50 have been brought up to do what our OH says. My Mother was always very much into boys and I had to wait on my brothers. So it was programed into me. I felt it was wrong not to. Nowadays young women are much more independent and do what they want. I know my son had the chance of a job and his wife would not move away from her Mum. Times have changed in someways thats good.
I will say again and I know from personal experience it you dont make the move back to the UK before you reach 65 it just becomes almost impossible expecially if your OH is older than you. Sickness becomes your live- in and unwelcome guest. I am torn not because of my children they have flown the coup and just get in touch when they either need help or get a guilty twinge but because I see my dear husband getting sicker and I know a move at present would not be possible.
I have many days when it just hard to smile or think good thoughts the depression hits you in the pit of your tummy. But then I look around and think there are people much worse of than me.

Hello Trottytrue

I'm a little slow in commenting on this post, it was on my mind and I was thinking, This board moves so fast.

Again I think you make some excellent points, trying your hardest to inform people about how an illness will stop them from doing almost everything, People really need to listen to your wise words of wisdom because I for one know you speak the truth, I hate to constantly bring up the subject of my parents, I don't want everyone to be scared, not everyone will be ill, but still they need to think what will happen if they do become ill, its happens so quick some times.

You are right there is always someone worse off than us, still we know what's bothering us and it would be nice to sort out that problem, Depression is awful, been there done that so to speak, whenever I get down I try to convince myself that nothing has really changed, its all about perception, of course some problems are almost impossible to solve, I did say almost.

Its nice to see you comment about your husband and that you knew he couldn't stay in the UK, I think many men and women in love would make the same decision that you made, so don't blame yourself, I think most of us have some regrets, People don't see the negatives coming at them, we know there are many people who find the fantasy come to an end once it becomes real life.

I've never fit in, not that I'm an oddball, I still after 34 years feel like I am a guest in this country, so rarely do I say what is bothering me, I try to be nice and understanding of all people and don't want to hurt their feelings, only on the Internet do I open up and then maybe I'm still a bit reserved, This thread of this forum is just the greatest thing, and I thank you.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed at all the responses of personal details today, its very interesting to see we have more under 50 than I thought and good for them, I wish I could be 30 a few more times in my life, I don't blame some members for holding back on some details, this is the internet so you do have to be careful, this info is here to stay.

Fishnchips ... almost called myself "fish out of water"

Real name Phil, Just call me Fish, that's Ok with me.

I'm 54, born on the Notts/Derbyshire border and also lived in South Yorkshire.

Moved to Wyoming in 76 and Oregon in 94.

Married 30 yrs to a terrific Brit. No kids

Hope to return some day, I think about it Every day, there is something about the UK that just feels right to me, Yes I suffer with the Grass is Greener syndrome, and Yes I know the UK isnt perfect in every way, still it feels right, its a place I love.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Id like to hear comments from people on this thread that left the USA for the UK.

Id like to know info as regards healthcare here and UK, essentially was the healthcare issue on your mind daily when living in the USA, could you afford healthcare Insurance? and now you live in the UK how does it feel? any daily worries about healthcare, or is it a no brainer?... complaints are welcome too...

I just feel like its on my mind here every day and a constant never ending worry.

Thanks...
Old May 31st 2010, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Name....Taffy Duck (Quack! Quack!)
Born.....North Wales
Age....57
Male
Married to a Canadian girl for 34 wonderful years
Lived in Ontario for 34 years
Homesickness...34 years
No children
Returning for good 3rd quarter 2011
Visit family every year sometimes twice
Next visit June 3rd for 3 weeks

So by the time I get back it'll take a couple of days to catch up on this great thread..he! he!

Cheers....Taffy
Old May 31st 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Name....Taffy Duck (Quack! Quack!)
Born.....North Wales
Age....57
Male
Married to a Canadian girl for 34 wonderful years
Lived in Ontario for 34 years
Homesickness...34 years
No children
Returning for good 3rd quarter 2011
Visit family every year sometimes twice
Next visit June 3rd for 3 weeks

So by the time I get back it'll take a couple of days to catch up on this great thread..he! he!

Cheers....Taffy
BON VOYAGE!!!
Old May 31st 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8603263]Id like to hear comments from people on this thread that left the USA for the UK.

Id like to know info as regards healthcare here and UK, essentially was the healthcare issue on your mind daily when living in the USA, could you afford healthcare Insurance? and now you live in the UK how does it feel? any daily worries about healthcare, or is it a no brainer?... complaints are welcome too...

I just feel like its on my mind here every day and a constant never ending worry.

I know I am not in the UK, but I feel like I am kinda sorta, and Malta does have a reciprocal agreement with the UK regarding health care. So I do feel qualified to comment.

I lived in the USA for 26 years. Only for the first 11 years was I covered under my husband's health insurance, then we divorced and, being self employed, I had none at all for the last 15 years - except briefly for almost one year when I had a full time job. My worry during that year was just as great as the other years. Every single day and most moments of every day I was anxious about not getting sick. Partly because of that, I changed my diet. (Also for ethical reasons). I began to, and still do see food as my medicine. Since leaving the US, I have shed the worry 99 per cent. I now feel a huge sense of relief that I am not going to go bankrupt, that I will be taken care of, should I have an ailment or emergency that requires medical treatment. My spending habits have changed. I no longer tell myself, no, you can't buy this or that, you may need that money in case you get sick. Of course, at the moment I say don't spend because you don't have a job LOL. But that is a huge difference, I have hope of finding work and with it money, in the US there was no hope. Fish, I understand EXACTLY what you mean. It just didn't make any logical sense for me at all to remain in a country which wasn't going to take care of me if I got sick without first taking everything financially away from me, with or without insurance, when, as a British Citizen, I had access to a system which provides for its people and thinks it is a RIGHT that everyone of its citizens is entitled to free health care. I said I am 99 per cent worry free. the other 1 per cent comes from old habits. Now though it has more to do with not wanting to know if I might have something wrong with me that keeps me from going to the doctor or getting any kind of check up!!! I'm working on that fear!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:02 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I've loved reading about everyone over the last few pages of this thread.

I'm 47 and have been in New York for 12 years.

I'm from a small village between Leeds and York. Moved to Canada (Toronto) with my husband's job when I was 24 (He's also British). We lived right downtown. I loved it but the winters were too cold for me. Then I got a job offer in the US and we moved again, first to Connecticut before settling just outside Manhattan. I loved it here too until homesickness began to set in over the last few years. New York is amazing and I have nothing bad to say about it. I just changed.

We have no kids. We are animal lovers and have 4 cats, but two of them have chronic illnesses and might not survive the stress of the journey so we can't move back just now. I could never leave them. My husband isn't homesick at all, but he's willing to think about a move. We plan to go back in September to have a look around. If we do move back, it will be a few years from now, so we're just at the planning stage.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jun 1st 2010 at 12:05 am.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Best of Luck Chris, only a few days left and you will be home, I hope you enjoy yourself and settle down well, who knows we may pass in the street never knowing, but thats Life. Take Care.

Thank you for the good wishes. Yes i am Christine. You never know we might meet up one day we are from the same area.

I am Chris/Christine 54 my husband is Pete 58
Married for 36 years, he is my best friend
2 children 1 in USA 1 in Southern Ireland
4 grandchildren
Mother 89 on friday MIL 87 both in UK
Living in Florida until tomorrow then going back to Nottinghamshire UK
Then onto to Ireland on 12th June for an extended holiday.

Chris
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

My update on Malta. Did I tell you I have put in to be a volunteer at the new hospital here in Malta? My training (4 days) begins 6 July. Some of it does overlap with the TEFL course I shall be doing (end June for 4 weeks). I also may be volunteering for the EU (English Union) to either go into the schools and play English games with the kindergartners, or chat with adults who are learning English, just general conversation. It is not difficult to find volunteer work here on Malta. Barb/Beedubya, have you thought about that in Aus? I know there is no money involved, but it is like setting up a network with contacts and may lead to a paid job in that field or valuable info on jobs elsewhere. Just a thought for you, that is why I am doing it, apart from wanting to help others.
This morning I did have another interview for a paying job though. This one as a part-time receptionist at a 3 star hotel around the corner from me. Get this, they pay 4 euros an hour!!!!! Welcome to a negative to living in Malta!!! Salaries are ridiculously low. Minimum wage here is 4.65 euros in retail and wholsale, not sure how else that works. Anyway, this wasn't an interview, this was - as I am finding in Malta - a session of casual chitchat and laughter: My interviewer laughing about my leaving a big country (USA) and coming back into a 'cage' (a small island) and me trying not to laugh out loud when he told me I would need 6 to 8 weeks of training, having had no experience in a hotel before Though before that, when I was called for the interview, I was politely asked if I did want to come, as I was 'overqualified' At the end of the chat, he told me I had a 'great personality and would be an asset to have around'. And he would have to figure out when someone might be available to help me as I couldn't be on the desk on my own without training In other words, 'we'll get back to you'!!! OK, so what is it with these Maltese men??? And what is it about me that seems to attract them - my blonde hair, or my height (5 10 which is so much taller than they are!!)??? No, he didn't come on to me, but he might as well of, that's how it felt!!! I already had my new Maltese guide/friend call me this morning telling me his friend, whom I met briefly the other week, is interested in me and would like my phone number!!! I had to laugh and say politely, no thanks. This is my first experience of living in a Mediterranean country, and I must confess, it is a definite boost to one's self esteem!!!! Barb/Beedubya - come live with me here!!!

So, the problem remains: How to fit in volunteer work, part-time paid work and still have fun around Malta?!!! I felt so drained after this 'interview' (not from it but from thinking about it and getting nervous beforehand) I had to go therapy shopping and buy a jacket on sale!!!! Yes, I do need it, I still find it cooler here than back in Charleston - at night anyway - and I only came here with 3 suitcases, not my full walk in closet I had in the US!!! All you females going home, don't leave any of your clothes behind like I did. You just know you will have to replace them!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.