Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:10 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by J.J
Today we had our first Garage Sale, didn't put out everything, will need some stuff over the next few weeks as we run on automatic to house closing day. We sold some stuff, still have a lot left, planning another sale 2 or 3 weeks before we leave, putting our prices cheap, if it makes even $1 that's a dollar we didn't have. What doesn't sell goes to Charity or the tip. We still own the house but right now with pictures gone from walls, food stocks running low, it no longer feels like home, just a temp lodging for the remaining time in the US.
And we're right behind you ... our first Garage Sale will be this upcoming Saturday. My ad in the local newspaper says "EARLY BIRDS PAY DOUBLE"

Two of my girlfriends/neighbors came over on Friday and each have given me their lists of what furniture they want to buy - I would say almost half of what furniture I am selling will be going to them!

Today my plan is to start marking the small stuff and organizing them into empty bins for quick, easy set-up on Saturday morning.

We, too, have now started removing pictures from the walls, etc., and you are so right - it feels very different now.

Although our house is on the market for sale, my husband and I are now discussing the option of renting it out. Didn't really want to go that route, but are very apprehensive that it is going to sell between now and July. Not sure what we'll eventually decide but it's certainly nice to have options.

Off to put the kettle on and start marking prices on my teacups and books.

Denise
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hi Rodney

How are you doing hope you are taking care of yourself. I'm still hoping we might fly into Gatwick on the same day and say a quick hello before we go on our way.
Look after yourself and do what the doctors tell you.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Well I may not be able to leave on the 2nd of June like I thought so we probably wont be able to say hi to each other in passing at the airport, reason is that I thought I would be back at work already, but my condition seems slow in healing, its very frustrating, the other day I almost begged my Doc to give me a work note to return to work but he said that I am not ready yet --- too soon, and my boss at work wont let me go back until I can show him a return to work note, but the note that the Doc gave me originally is for May 10 returning to work so it looks like I will have to wait till then, but I know the Doc is only doing this for my own good,
You see I cant even start getting everything done and out the way until I can get around town, I have already made myself a big list of everything that I need to take care of, and when I do get started I will just cross each thing off one at a time,
Oh boy this IS such a huge move isn't it, like JJ said there are 3 stages that we go through before we leave, and I guess I am also on the 2nd stage acceptance and working through it, cant wait to get to the 3rd stage --- Done, now lets get on with the rest of our lives.
Rodney.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Agreed, looked at from a distance the whole concept of a move is very daunting, but take it step by step, make a list of the headlines, start on things you can do now (such as Fish n Chips avoiding not buying stuff), research / prepping the house for sale, a bit of decorating here and there, as you get busy with starting to get things off the list then it all just progresses - allow yourselves time to work through it all. As you reach each big step, then is the time to think of and put in all the small details under the heading.

Remember to smile and enjoy life, see what pleasure events you can fit in during this time, stuff that when u are back in UK you may say "I wish I'd done..... before I left"

This is a massive journey, a big commitment in moving back, and it takes a strong will, but easy does it.

Today we had our first Garage Sale, didn't put out everything, will need some stuff over the next few weeks as we run on automatic to house closing day. We sold some stuff, still have a lot left, planning another sale 2 or 3 weeks before we leave, putting our prices cheap, if it makes even $1 that's a dollar we didn't have. What doesn't sell goes to Charity or the tip.
We still own the house but right now with pictures gone from walls, food stocks running low, it no longer feels like home, just a temp lodging for the remaining time in the US.
We are in the middle phase of Change, Phase I is the "I'll never be able to do this", II is acceptance and working through it, III is the "Done, now lets get on with the rest of our lives."

Best wishes and peace to all those dealing with the events of moving back.

Anna, re Ryanair !!- did you have to pay 1 pound to use the plane's toilet ? Yikes. McDonalds should start an airline, their loo's are always available to anyone (in the US at least) , customer or not.
Hi J,J, well you certainly put everything in the right perspective, bang on target with everything you said, well done, I liked the 3 phase,s,
take care,
Rodney.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
You are probable correct in your assumption that it will be a slog, but you have your children, family and each other, remember that when things get you down. You are coming back at the the best time of the year, the land is beautiful and mother nature is in all her glory back in your homeland. Take the time to enjoy being home and good luck in your home and job hunting. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

I think if you are doing this when you are older it is more difficult, you have this driving need to get it all done before something happens to you or your other half, health wise, sometimes I feel that I am climbing up a very slippery slop with ill fitting wellies on.
Yes Ed your right in saying that if we are doing this when we are older its more difficult, you have this driving need to get it all done before something happens,
I wish you all the best, just soldier on like you always do, the right Job I feel will come along soon for you where you will be happy, on one of your earlier posts you said that you are paying 300 pounds a month just on transportation back & forth to work, WOW that is a lot of money Peigi,
Anyway you always continue to be a (GIANT) inspiration to everyone, especially myself, cause when I think of all that you have been through since you have been back in Scotland and you still have a house to sell in Canada before your Hubby and dogs can come over, and all this you have done on your own in UK,
and each day has been a struggle but you just keep on trucking, your like the midas batteries that never ware out, remember the Ad on TV years ago,

So you see when I look at what you have acomplished over there, and all your problems, --- and then I think of my situation where I have a home to go straight back to and living with my Mum, and that I dont need to be looking for a Job cause I will be retired when I start my new life over there,
Not to mention free bus passes and all the rest like free prescriptions too, and all this just makes my move so tiny to yours,
So you really make this whole thing for me so much easier, cause whenever I get depressed and think like I do sometimes ---- how am I going to pull this thing off, --- all I have to do then is remember you and what you are going through and it makes me think how so very lucky I am,
Good luck and thanks,
Rodney.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
As a matter of fact, my Visa arrived Thursday (via the British Consulate in New York).

I applied online on March 9; had biometrics taken on March 15; FedEx'd supporting documentation on March 26, which was received on March 31; the Easter bank holiday week-end occurred; and I received the Visa on April 22, so about 15 working days from start to finish. We did not use an expeditor.

This was a UK Settlement Visa based on married > 4 years and living outside the UK so we didn't have the onus of having to prove a bona fide marriage but we did, of course, have to prove everything else that was required.

Cost $965 plus $12 postage = $977.

Denise
So glad Denise that your spouse visa came through alright for you, WOW thats expensive Huh, thats about $300 more then my U.S. citizenship cost for the application fee,
Well you and Hubby take care, when are you leaving?
Rodney.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
As a matter of fact, my Visa arrived Thursday (via the British Consulate in New York).

I applied online on March 9; had biometrics taken on March 15; FedEx'd supporting documentation on March 26, which was received on March 31; the Easter bank holiday week-end occurred; and I received the Visa on April 22, so about 15 working days from start to finish. We did not use an expeditor.

This was a UK Settlement Visa based on married > 4 years and living outside the UK so we didn't have the onus of having to prove a bona fide marriage but we did, of course, have to prove everything else that was required.

Cost $965 plus $12 postage = $977.

Denise

So glad that your visa came through, have stupid question, what is biometrics?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:01 am
DDL

Thanks everyone.

Rodney, we're hoping to be gone by mid-July. As of yet we don't have jobs to go to (or accommodation, but we're looking and will stay with my mother-in-love for awhile if we need to) but we'd like to get out of here this summer to give us some good weather over there to do our job/house hunting.

Easterndawn, "biometrics" is the government's fancy word for "fingerprinting" and there is no such thing as a stupid question! xxx
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
So glad that your visa came through, have stupid question, what is biometrics?
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...336.html#easy3
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Denise--but GOOD GRIEF!! that's quite a price!! Still, I suppose the right to settlement is a valuable thing....

Thanks for the info
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hi Everyone! I am a 54 year-old Geordie planning to return to her roots. I have lived all over the world, Africa, Middle East and now I am currently in Toronto, and have lived here for 5 years. Its nice, but not where I want to spend my golden years - its time to leave.

I have spent this lovely (wet) Sunday reading all these posts and following your stories since last September, and now I feel as though I know you all! It has been such a relief to hear and read of all you lovely people in the same boat as myself! Its the uncertainty really, but because of you folks, I know that moving back home is THE RIGHT THING TO DO! I have no-one in Canada, and all my friends and family are in UK, my children are in the UAE and there is no reason at all that, even at my age, I should not follow this overwhelming desire to return to my birthplace.

My husband is Canadian but of European origin and has had to be won over, he realizes the move will be stressful, but now happy to give it a go. I have promised him that I will do all the research and hard work. Its been on my mind for two years now. During this time we have been paying attention to new purchases and only buying essentials, nothing electrical, knowing that we would have to get rid of it eventually. Now we have started to purge and selling off what we can. What a fantastic feeling it is! Hopefully the plan will be for me to go first, in a few months, stay with friends while I search for a job, and then organize the settlement visa for my hubby. Its exciting and I am so looking forward to it.

I may have lots of questions nearer the time, and need some support. I am really happy to have found this forum! Its been just the motivation I needed!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Wawa! I too think this forum is a blessing for those of us who may have thought we were along with our struggles, our uncertainties, our being torn between places.

We are definitely not alone, here is a whole bunch of people who understand, as others outside the situation cannot!

No-one else can understand the pull of home, which seems to become stronger in many of us as we grow older.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DDL/Denise, I notice you said you are hoping to get to England in the summer so as to have "good weather" for your house hunting.......I hope you are not banking on the weather!!! Are you sure you know enough about England???!!!!

I jest of course, I know you lived there for a while...but let's face it, even the summer weather is unreliable. Actually, I love the changeability of English weather.....I love how it can go from rain to sun to rain to cloud to rainbow and more, all in less than an hour!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

BritGurl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
I've been living in the USA for the last 20yrs as I married an American and came out here to live. I was born and raised in the UK for 36yrs of my life and now in my mid 50's are looking to be nearer to my sons and grand-kids who live in London. Our plan was to return back to the UK in a few yrs time but now I am really worried after reading this article from the Daily Mail today.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-seekers.html

I've not become an American Citizen but hold a green card with residence status for that very reason that one day I would return home......Now I am not so sure. My question is has anyone else had to deal with this kind of situation after being out of the country for 20 or more yrs?
We own our own business and a house which we would put up for sale when the time came but in this recession we have seen a decline in house sales and business sales and at present could not meet our dept ratio so if we sold up now we would have more debt than assets.
Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this article really touched a nerve with me in this present economic climate?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:41 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by between two worlds
DDL/Denise, I notice you said you are hoping to get to England in the summer so as to have "good weather" for your house hunting.......I hope you are not banking on the weather!!! Are you sure you know enough about England???!!!! I jest of course, I know you lived there for a while...but let's face it, even the summer weather is unreliable. Actually, I love the changeability of English weather.....I love how it can go from rain to sun to rain to cloud to rainbow and more, all in less than an hour!
I like it too, and am one of those weird ones who LOVES grey, overcast, rainy days.

I lived in the Aleutian Islands for 3 years where there was hardly ever any sun and never had any problems with it at all, while many people on the island ended up having to go home because of SADD.

I am originally from the burbs of Chicago (left there in my early 20s) and have spent the last 30+ years here in Charleston, SC where I absolutely abhor the heat and humidity. And I'm not really a "beach" person either, so I'm ready to get back to England.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thank you, Denise--but GOOD GRIEF!! that's quite a price!!
Yes it is and to add insult to injury (as we say) when I return and take the Life in the UK test (as soon as possible) which will give me ILR, it's going to cost even more dosh!! Wish I could have gotten over there to take the test before I applied for my Visa from over here, but financially we just couldn't swing it. Alas.

It really annoys me that so many people still think one can just move to another country at will. They have no idea about the time/expense/red-tape nightmare the whole thing can be!

End of rant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.