Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by between two worlds
ED, so glad to see you here again--so sorry about all you have been through--though after all the ghastliness it must have been a good day when you finally got offered two positions at once.

Sounds as if hotel was a wise choice, do hope it works out well for you, and the time flies by.

I forgot to say earlier that I love Anna's posts from Malta, tho if she isn't careful this thread will change to "We were moving back to the UK but now we're all off to Malta instead." !!!

All that Mediterranean stuff reminds me of when I lived in Italy....

And yet....it's the Uk that still appeals...that deep-seated pull of the roots. As we on this forum can testify, the yearning only seems to get worse as one grows older, rather than fading as others expect....

Tina/53/from Glos/now in Pennsylvania USA
That is just too funny, Tina! Of course that is exactly what I did, I was all set to move back to the UK, but didn't know where exactly as I have no friends/family there any more apart from my half sister who lives near cold, cold, cold Middlesbrough - and I knew this thin skinned body of mine would NOT survive the climate there!! Then Malta was suggested to me. I knew nothing at all about it, so I researched on line, and the more I read, the more I saw it as a possibility! In a lot of ways it felt comforting to me to come here as this island is so much smaller than Great Britain, therefore the choice of where exactly to live was not a problem. The climate also is near to perfect (for now!), which makes the acclimation to a another country after 22 years in hot and humid South Carolina so much easier for me. Actually, I did feel just a little chilly yesterday, it was very windy and cloudy and I was only wearing one thin, long sleeved layer of clothing. I almost got blown away eating my picnic lunch in Valletta! Tina, you can probably relate to the Mediterranean climate - whereabouts in Italy did you live? I have always loved everything about Italy, and when I used to sit and day dream of where I really would like to live, Italy was my first choice. I pictured myself as the woman in 'Under the Tuscan Sun'!!
I can't say I don't miss England. I have a slight pang of longing every time someone on here mentions bluebells, village life, etc. But then I remind myself of all the rainy, cold days that I would probably be spending indoors shivering next to the radiator - and my thoughts quickly turn back to the Mediterranean! I do think that, at the moment, life is easier and less costly for me here in Malta, and, if it doesn't prove to be my new long term home, it is certainly making a wonderful transition country for me!! So my thanks have to go to the person who suggested it to me - an internet friend in Germany, who was supposed to be visiting me in a couple of weeks for the first time, but we had an online 'argument', and he has now cancelled his trip and may no longer be in my life. After 10 months of communication it seems we didn't understand each other as well as we thought we did. I am sad about losing his friendship, but that is a whole other story (my life would definitely make a great soap opera!!), and this thread is for cheering people up - not making them more down!!!
Tina, where are you in Pennyslvania? I lived in Wilmington Delaware for four years and loved Amish country!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mrs Sully and Quoll we should start up a baby club. My 3 Grandchild is due in August. We are not needed inlaws are busy with all that and extended family. Last baby when we got to the hospital there was so many people in the room we could not get in. Thats OK makes it easier for me to leave. Her Mother gets really bent out of shape if they dont spend every holiday with them.

Anna waiting for another update on Malta its like a breath of fresh air from this gloomy New Hampshire. Do you know I could be dead for a month and no one would notice, well my OH would I can take a walk up the road and no one speaks even if they are in their garden. Now my daughter lives in another town about 30 mins from us but totallly different, very friendly but then thats a much older neighbourhood.

Saturday I am having a garage sale. Was going up into the attic today but it was way to hot so I will do it tomorrow. I have some books and pictures and a large box of stamps but I am not putting them in the sale will look for somewhere else to sell them. I did think of Ebay but that would take too much time and way to much trouble.

Mrs Sully.. I actually thought how lucky you where to have bluebells around you till you said you dont have them. Shows how much I know about Canberra. Last time I saw bluebells in vast numbers was in Delamere Forest, not far from where we lived in Sandbach.
I know what you mean about being dead and nobody noticing. I used to think about that often in the US. I am sure many of us unfortunately have that thought as we get older.

So here is my update on Malta. Yesterday I spent in Valletta again. I always forget that this is the capital city and am surprised to see so many people walking through it. It is a mostly pedestrianized city, with old city bastions surrounding it, filled with narrow and very steep streets leading down to the harbour. It truly is a fascinating place, always something new to discover. But yesterday had the most people (tourists and Maltese) walking down the main street that I have ever seen! They were like a herd of cattle being driven through the old West of the USA! Wo betide anyone who tried to go 'against' the flow. Which of course I did, being the typical salmon swimming upstream! In July and August it will apparently be full mainly with passionate Italians!! That was all about 10 in the morning, peak shopping time here. After lunch it all died down, siesta time!! You really do have to be the early bird in Malta, up and at 'em at 7 am. Makes sense to escape the heat with no air conditioning here. Very civilized if you ask me, more in tune with nature, but, although I have always woken up with the sun, I am not so good at getting dressed and out quite that early! Give me another month! I did accomplish a lot yesterday. I had my first hair cut here! Cost me 8 euros for a trim (I have long hair and am scared stiff the hairdresser will cut off too much!), so that was all I had - no wash. But she did a good job and I would go back to her. Phew, what a relief! (Women on here can relate no doubt!). Then I went to Strait Street. This street has an infamous past for being Malta's equivalent of a red light district. Also called The Gut, it was frequented by the many sailors on shore leave. But no more. And I can understand why. Strait street is one of the steepest, with many stairs (which made it easier for the Knights of St John to climb in their heavy armour). Can you imagine the prostitutes trying to attract customers as they manouvered their way up and down in their high heels! So why was I there???? To get passport photos for jobs from the printing shop! After that I set off for the Department of Citizenship to get my application form for ordinary residency. You are supposed to become a resident if you are staying in Malta for longer than 3 months. That seems to be in question though, some say it is not necessary and will no longer be in effect next year. But just in case, I have the form! How they can tell how long you have been here if they don't stamp your passport when you arrive beats me. I also bought more coat hangers (needed after my therapy shopping trips!) and some butterscotch sweets from M & S! Then home in time for siesta!!!

Gotta run now and find my ear plugs!! The building next door to me is being renovated and they are now on the inside drilling work Malta is under constant reconstruction, built on limestone and very, very old!.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:43 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
If only, in Weston Creek! Still, there are a few Bradford pears and Claret Ash still with their autumn garb ... not really the same though is it
Not quite the same MS but they are beautiful trees in Autumn. We will just have to keep dreaming...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:49 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
I know what you mean about being dead and nobody noticing. I used to think about that often in the US. I am sure many of us unfortunately have that thought as we get older.

So here is my update on Malta. Yesterday I spent in Valletta again. I always forget that this is the capital city and am surprised to see so many people walking through it. It is a mostly pedestrianized city, with old city bastions surrounding it, filled with narrow and very steep streets leading down to the harbour. It truly is a fascinating place, always something new to discover. But yesterday had the most people (tourists and Maltese) walking down the main street that I have ever seen! They were like a herd of cattle being driven through the old West of the USA! Wo betide anyone who tried to go 'against' the flow. Which of course I did, being the typical salmon swimming upstream! In July and August it will apparently be full mainly with passionate Italians!! That was all about 10 in the morning, peak shopping time here. After lunch it all died down, siesta time!! You really do have to be the early bird in Malta, up and at 'em at 7 am. Makes sense to escape the heat with no air conditioning here. Very civilized if you ask me, more in tune with nature, but, although I have always woken up with the sun, I am not so good at getting dressed and out quite that early! Give me another month! I did accomplish a lot yesterday. I had my first hair cut here! Cost me 8 euros for a trim (I have long hair and am scared stiff the hairdresser will cut off too much!), so that was all I had - no wash. But she did a good job and I would go back to her. Phew, what a relief! (Women on here can relate no doubt!). Then I went to Strait Street. This street has an infamous past for being Malta's equivalent of a red light district. Also called The Gut, it was frequented by the many sailors on shore leave. But no more. And I can understand why. Strait street is one of the steepest, with many stairs (which made it easier for the Knights of St John to climb in their heavy armour). Can you imagine the prostitutes trying to attract customers as they manouvered their way up and down in their high heels! So why was I there???? To get passport photos for jobs from the printing shop! After that I set off for the Department of Citizenship to get my application form for ordinary residency. You are supposed to become a resident if you are staying in Malta for longer than 3 months. That seems to be in question though, some say it is not necessary and will no longer be in effect next year. But just in case, I have the form! How they can tell how long you have been here if they don't stamp your passport when you arrive beats me. I also bought more coat hangers (needed after my therapy shopping trips!) and some butterscotch sweets from M & S! Then home in time for siesta!!!

Gotta run now and find my ear plugs!! The building next door to me is being renovated and they are now on the inside drilling work Malta is under constant reconstruction, built on limestone and very, very old!.
Anna you really could give Bill Bryson a run for his money. You really must write a book. Thank you for taking the time to write and entertain us all. I love that whole siesta idea, why they never thought of it in Aust I will never know. Although when I think back to my time in Brisbane I think some of my work colleagues were half asleep most of the time anyway. Doesn't 'siesta' sound so much nicer that 'nanna nap' - On that note time to put my feet up
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:53 pm
mrs sully

At the risk of embarrassing the lovely Quoll, I thought I would let you know we caught up for a cuppa. Yes, she is just as she sounds online - simply gorgeous. It was a good day today She even inspired me to go forth and seek out the outfit for the MIL's wedding. I decided on bright pink to go with my windswept and exotic look
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
At the risk of embarrassing the lovely Quoll, I thought I would let you know we caught up for a cuppa. Yes, she is just as she sounds online - simply gorgeous. It was a good day today She even inspired me to go forth and seek out the outfit for the MIL's wedding. I decided on bright pink to go with my windswept and exotic look
Oh, we want pictures!!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

AES1: I have the form! How they can tell how long you have been here if they don't stamp your passport when you arrive beats me. quote

Good Morning, Yes, I was wondering the same thing as when i came to UK my passport is not stamped anywhere, perhaps someone can elaborate.

Well, tomorrow is first day at work, I will be making more than I was a Craig Tara and can have all my meals there for free, so that will make saving a lot easier and it is fulltime and not seasonal. The Hotel has was just bought over in March and they have some big plans to make improvements. It was built in 1865 and is located next to the railway station. The inside is wonderful, high ceilings and great features. It is great to be able to get in on the start of a project and being able to make your own mark, rather than coming in and trying to take over from someone. We will see what happens.

A friend of my old landlady has a flat with a balcony that looks over the river, it is a truly lovely flat, her and her husband are there until they find a new house as their old one sold faster than they thought it would. The flat actually belongs to her mom who is in a personal care home with Altseimers. They will be moving out around September, October and they have asked me to take over the flat for the same rent that I pay here. They know that I have a lease that is not up until November but have said they don't want to rent it to anyone else. Although my present flat is lovely inside, the area is not the best as it used to be a council estate and has not been maintained very well.

My next project, beside getting my husband and dogs over, is to get a small car, although public transportation is great over here, I would like to be able to go when I want to go and stop where I want to stop. It is great for going from one town to the other but not so good for going sightseeing and can get quite expensive. I havent really looked at anything yet, as I did not want to get into anything until I had permanent fulltime employment. Still, I will wait for a few months before getting serious about looking.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
AES1: I have the form! How they can tell how long you have been here if they don't stamp your passport when you arrive beats me. quote

Good Morning, Yes, I was wondering the same thing as when i came to UK my passport is not stamped anywhere, perhaps someone can elaborate.

Well, tomorrow is first day at work, I will be making more than I was a Craig Tara and can have all my meals there for free, so that will make saving a lot easier and it is fulltime and not seasonal. The Hotel has was just bought over in March and they have some big plans to make improvements. It was built in 1865 and is located next to the railway station. The inside is wonderful, high ceilings and great features. It is great to be able to get in on the start of a project and being able to make your own mark, rather than coming in and trying to take over from someone. We will see what happens.

A friend of my old landlady has a flat with a balcony that looks over the river, it is a truly lovely flat, her and her husband are there until they find a new house as their old one sold faster than they thought it would. The flat actually belongs to her mom who is in a personal care home with Altseimers. They will be moving out around September, October and they have asked me to take over the flat for the same rent that I pay here. They know that I have a lease that is not up until November but have said they don't want to rent it to anyone else. Although my present flat is lovely inside, the area is not the best as it used to be a council estate and has not been maintained very well.

My next project, beside getting my husband and dogs over, is to get a small car, although public transportation is great over here, I would like to be able to go when I want to go and stop where I want to stop. It is great for going from one town to the other but not so good for going sightseeing and can get quite expensive. I havent really looked at anything yet, as I did not want to get into anything until I had permanent fulltime employment. Still, I will wait for a few months before getting serious about looking.
Amazing ED!!!! See, how everything is falling into place for you now - a new job and soon a new place, which both sound perfect for you. Like I always say, yin and yang, sometimes we have to go through a few hardships, and often more than we think we can handle at the time, to come out the other side in brilliant sunshine where everything is like on the Teletubbies!! (Hate to say, I loved that programme for preschoolers, the laughing sun gets me every time and I see myself as Laa-Laa of course!!!!)

Congrats again!!!! Downhill all the way now, you will soon have hubby and pets with you!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ed, I'm so happy that things have turned around for you, and I'm glad you have taken that position in the Hotel, Craig Tara already showed their true colors, its time to move on an hopefully this place will have some quality caring management.

The free meals sounds great, that will save you some cash, lets hope they are tasty, I sure do wish you well with this new job.

Your Old landlady sounds like a gem, the flat offer sounds just about perfect to me, it shows how there are some good people left in this world, people that truly care, what a good friend she is.

Having a car makes sense to me, do you have any idea what you are looking for? Id guess something small and reliable, here's my 2 pence, if I was looking for a car for me and my wife Id look at a Toyota Corolla, or the smaller Yaris or maybe a Nissan Micra, possibly automatic, even though they are harder to find, there is also a Toyota Yaris Verso wagon which might be handy with you having dogs, Ive had good luck with the japanesse cars and thats the only reason I mention them...

The Brits have some kind of insurance rating system, the higher the number the more expensive it is to insure, smaller cars are rated with low numbers, its just a rough guide from what I understand but certainly something you should consider, I'm sure someone on this board from the UK will be able to help you with that when the time comes.

I do wish you well, I think about you, your husband and dogs often, I look forward to the day when your husband and dogs arrive and reunite with you in the UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Ed, I'm so happy that things have turned around for you, and I'm glad you have taken that position in the Hotel, Craig Tara already showed their true colors, its time to move on an hopefully this place will have some quality caring management.

The free meals sounds great, that will save you some cash, lets hope they are tasty, I sure do wish you well with this new job.

Your Old landlady sounds like a gem, the flat offer sounds just about perfect to me, it shows how there are some good people left in this world, people that truly care, what a good friend she is.

Having a car makes sense to me, do you have any idea what you are looking for? Id guess something small and reliable, here's my 2 pence, if I was looking for a car for me and my wife Id look at a Toyota Corolla, or the smaller Yaris or maybe a Nissan Micra, possibly automatic, even though they are harder to find, there is also a Toyota Yaris Verso wagon which might be handy with you having dogs, Ive had good luck with the japanesse cars and thats the only reason I mention them...

The Brits have some kind of insurance rating system, the higher the number the more expensive it is to insure, smaller cars are rated with low numbers, its just a rough guide from what I understand but certainly something you should consider, I'm sure someone on this board from the UK will be able to help you with that when the time comes.

I do wish you well, I think about you, your husband and dogs often, I look forward to the day when your husband and dogs arrive and reunite with you in the UK.
Hi was thinking a Yaris, we have a Kia back in Canada but it does seem that automatics are more expensive here, funny as it is almost the exact opposite there. I have driven both so that is not a big problem, would like to find somewhere that would allow me to make payments. Will have to wait and see.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Lestagirl would love to .
American man I spoke of earlier in on/off relationship lives in Keene, NH. I thought it was quite a nice little town, though not much going on to be honest, but that weather is a shocker!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 2nd 2010 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=aes1;8603529]
Id like to hear comments from people on this thread that left the USA for the UK.

Id like to know info as regards healthcare here and UK, essentially was the healthcare issue on your mind daily when living in the USA, could you afford healthcare Insurance? and now you live in the UK how does it feel? any daily worries about healthcare, or is it a no brainer?... complaints are welcome too...

I just feel like its on my mind here every day and a constant never ending worry.

I know I am not in the UK, but I feel like I am kinda sorta, and Malta does have a reciprocal agreement with the UK regarding health care. So I do feel qualified to comment.

I lived in the USA for 26 years. Only for the first 11 years was I covered under my husband's health insurance, then we divorced and, being self employed, I had none at all for the last 15 years - except briefly for almost one year when I had a full time job. My worry during that year was just as great as the other years. Every single day and most moments of every day I was anxious about not getting sick. Partly because of that, I changed my diet. (Also for ethical reasons). I began to, and still do see food as my medicine. Since leaving the US, I have shed the worry 99 per cent. I now feel a huge sense of relief that I am not going to go bankrupt, that I will be taken care of, should I have an ailment or emergency that requires medical treatment. My spending habits have changed. I no longer tell myself, no, you can't buy this or that, you may need that money in case you get sick. Of course, at the moment I say don't spend because you don't have a job LOL. But that is a huge difference, I have hope of finding work and with it money, in the US there was no hope. Fish, I understand EXACTLY what you mean. It just didn't make any logical sense for me at all to remain in a country which wasn't going to take care of me if I got sick without first taking everything financially away from me, with or without insurance, when, as a British Citizen, I had access to a system which provides for its people and thinks it is a RIGHT that everyone of its citizens is entitled to free health care. I said I am 99 per cent worry free. the other 1 per cent comes from old habits. Now though it has more to do with not wanting to know if I might have something wrong with me that keeps me from going to the doctor or getting any kind of check up!!! I'm working on that fear!!
Anna, Thanks for your reply on this issue, its a constant bother for me, Its nice that you are 99% worry free, If you had fell ill while not insured it may have bankrupted you, Now you only have to worry about your health and not the financial worry that goes along with getting sick in America, sometimes I wonder if its just me that worries about this stuff. Thanks again and continued good health.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just loving Anna Bryson and her travels in Malta.....

And I am so happy for Peigi, first the job, now a lovely new flat coming up in the future.....

It makes me so connected to you all who come on this BE forum.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:59 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all.
Just spent a while reading back through the last few pages.

Peigi, I am so happy that things are working out the way they are. The feelings you spoke of when you lost your job rang a bell with me because a few years ago I was 'let go' of a job I had spent quite a few years at, for no other reason than they couldn't afford me anymore and found someone cheaper to do the work.
I don't blame them at all, for a business you have to do what's right for the company, but I had never been laid off, or let go from a job and took it as a personal slight. I had a huge panic attack about not being able to get another job and the loneliness you spoke of, I really felt that too.

Although my circumstances were different, the feelings were very similar. I had never in my life not felt 'useful'. The feelings that 'everyone' else was employed and I wasn't was awful.

But you had the added stress of being treated badly and unfairly. I was more upset at losing an income and the dent in my pride for being let go.

BUT at least everything is falling into place now for you. I am genuinely very happy for you. It proves that 'everything happens for a reason'. Now you have a place to live and full time employment. Those are two of my biggest worries/fears when I go back to England at the end of the year.

Anna- I deliberately make a point of coming here just to read your updates. They really are wonderful. Malta would never have entered my head and certainly not as a place to live for any length of time. But through you I feel like I am there! Keep those updates coming, I love reading about your picnic lunches and the things you see on you daily trips. It will almost be a shame when you are working full time because you won't be out and about exploring as much.

Trottytrue, I wonder if you had any idea when you started this thread how much it would take on a life of it's own?!

For me just the FACT that there are so many others around the world who are my age and wanting to go back to England and fear the same things I fear is a huge help. The worst thing in the world is feeling like you are alone and nobody understands you.

This forum is better than any therapy session. Not that I have been to therapy, but I imagine it wouldn't be half so much fun, nor half so entertaining, full of life or 'real' as the stories on here.

For myself, I am on my last week at work. I have just had an email from my ex husband who has heard that I am leaving to go to Hong Kong for 6 months. He, like most people is completely at a loss to understand how I can be apart from my husband for so long.
He is also jealous of the fact that I am doing this alone. His own marriage is not good, he himself told me that. But he is scared of being alone so is staying where he is right now until he can 'decide' what he wants to do.
His wife who is American doesn't want to go back to England. He doesn't want to stay in America.
He and I met up when we were both in England visiting our daughter. It was very interesting to see how much he claims to be independent, but how he is terrified of being alone.

He thinks my husband and I are crazy for agreeing to be apart for a few months while I do what I NEED to do. And maybe he's right. But the one thing my husband and I do is communicate and I think our marriage is stronger even though we will be apart for goodness knows how long. You can be living in the same house but be miles apart emotionally and mentally. Like the ex and I were.

Well, I am rambling. Words just start coming into your head when you get on here!

Keep posting everyone. I love reading ALL of the posts. Thanks to everyone who contributes with their own stories. It helps so very much.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by callé
We had good insurance through my husbands job, but it came at the cost of 700.dollars out of his check every month!! Then you still had the co-pay. My husband had a kidney stone once and also caught salmonella once and each time the bills just kept coming from the hospital, for the 20% not covered by insurance. my husband also was in an accident once with my two youngest. The rescue came and took them to hospital to be examined, but then they billed us for it!. My older son, when he passed 18 and no longer fell under our insurance and didnt yet have any of his own....started having back pain. He was just shifted out of emergency rooms with muscle relaxers as he wasnt insured. Thankfully, one dr on a return visit from us, had mercy and went ahead and ordered a scan. Cancer...which my son survived after chemo, but had it not been caught at that moment, he wouldnt have as it already began to spread. We were still even turned away from a chemo treament one day as social security hadnt cleared paper work for medicaid to help out. It was a living night mare and I was terrified that my son would not be treated. It was so much red tape to get through and I felt that his bedside care suffered as he was not insured, but still I am thankful that they finally agreed to treat him at all.
Ok, since being here....my husband has had his gall bladder removed and also had carpal tunnel operation. Excellent treatment by very kind staff, no questions. (and he's american). My son signed up with local GP when he arrived, and the dr immediately sent him for scan just to make sure all was clear. he had repeated scans for a few years and now has been cleared as cured. Very good care. he now has a deteriorating hip due to chemo and drs are monitoring him for eventual replacement. My daughter has had a baby here and no problems...good care.
I fortunately, have not been ill, but I feel very secure here that if I did, I would get prompt and proper care...no cost.
For my part, I would say that the NHS doesnt get near the credit they deserve!!

Hello Calle and thanks for your reply.

Yours is a perfect example on how we in America can get stuck, can you imagine the reverse happening, moving from the UK to Usa with those pre-existing problems, there's even a chance your Husband would have been refused healthcare insurance or in some cases the job, I know some companies refuse to hire people with sick family members as the premiums are outrageous for them.

I'm glad all went well with your son and medicaid stepped in even if it was a day late, I'm sure that 24 hours was full of Additional Stress, and 24 hours could make all the difference in some cases, it makes no sense that kids of 18 cant be covered, we all know they cant afford it and many aren't even working (In college) so why not cover them under the parents plans.

Our premiums have just gone up to $750 per month and our plan has changed, our previous plan is no longer available, that means it went up $100 per month plus our coverage most likely got worse, its all in the small print, we have 30% deductable plus other co-pays, and this is for medical only, no dental included... we were on a 80/20 plan like you but the premiums got too high for us 5 years ago...

We got a bill for over $400 today, it was for my wifes mamaogram, its supposed to be covered under our plan but they refused payment, my wife called he HMO and after 30 minutes they figured out that they had transposed her birthdate and that had kicked out and refused the payment... amazing... I wonder how many others they should pay but DONT!...

I'm so glad the NHS is taking care of you, some of my in laws complain but they have no idea how we live here, where one prescription can costs hundreds per month even with insurance, My sister in law is in constant need of some prescriptions and gets a full year of prescriptions for £100, not a bad deal at all.

I wish you well, and thanks again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.