Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hightide, Congrats on the sale of your home, 10 days and full asking price is amazing, Ive been trying to sell my parents home for a year now, its difficult in this area, prices are still dropping, and for sale signs pop up almost everyday... after Ive sold my parents home I have to sell mine, this seems like a never ending chore, even so good luck to you, it has to give us hope.
Thank you very much F n C. I certainly hope things speed up for you and send you tons of good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl

I was only asked 5 questions....
What ocean is on the east coast of america......
Name one state that borders Canada
When was the Constitution written
What is Freedom of religion
At what agemust men register for service
Whole thing was over in 15 minutes.
You got away Easy, Id hate others to think that was a typical test, I had about ten questions, many were history questions, my worst subject, all answers were in the 100 questions you mentioned earlier.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:30 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a few people have brought up the subject of driving tests in the UK, I know when I took my test back in 73-74 the waiting list was 3-4 months long, is it the same these days? I mention this so people retuning on an American licence can understand its not like the DMV in the USA, where you walk in and take your test on an instant.
I don't know about the waiting list but I do know that if you arrive here on an American license you first of all have to get find a provisional license. You apply for it online, then the DVLA will send you a form (took about a week for me), you then complete the form and send it to Swansea with some photo ID which, for most people, is going to be their passport. Then you wait for your provisional license to arrive. In my case, it took a little over a week. You will receive a photocard license and a paper counterpart.

Next you will then have to find an insurance company who will insure you. The premium will be high but will drop back down once you get your permanent license.

Before you can take the practical driving test, you will have to pass a theory test AND a hazard perception test (both computerized tests).

For those of you who have been gone a long time, the practical test has changed over the years and there are a few things about it that are changing again in October 2010.

Oh yes - of course it goes without saying that ALL the above costs money!

Everything you always wanted to know about passing your UK driving exam but were afraid to ask ..... can be found here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/index.htm

I suppose the rules might be different for you Brits who are returning to the UK after years of living abroad but I don't know about that!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:38 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

You got away Easy, Id hate others to think that was a typical test, I had about ten questions, many were history questions, my worst subject, all answers were in the 100 questions you mentioned earlier.

The "Life in the UK Test" I had to take/pass in order to get my UK residency (it is also the same test used for UK Citizenship) was a computerized test of 24 questions. I think you can miss up to 7 questions.

I studied for months and months (reading the study guide and taking online practice tests) beforehand and I found it a very difficult test! There were lots of percentages to know, etc. (But I did pass.)

Try it yourself! http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:39 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Charley, Spooks is a great show, it was shown in the USA as MI-5, I'm not sure if we can still get it here.

PBS is re-airing MI-5, from the beginning, in Canada and US starting on Thursday, 30 Sept 2010.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

We are following the following Brit productions. Midsummer Murders,
MI 5, Inspector Lewis, Doyle? and Inspector Morse.

The actor for Inspector Morse died unfortunately.

Yay, for British productions.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:10 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
We are following the following Brit productions. Midsummer Murders,
MI 5, Inspector Lewis, Doyle? and Inspector Morse.

The actor for Inspector Morse died unfortunately.

Yay, for British productions.

Love most of the brit mysteries too. If you haven't already seen it try tracking down "Foyle's War" with the wonderful Michael Kitchen. It is a mystery set in homeland England during WWII. Still miss John Thaw (Morse) and also enjoyed him in Kavanagh QC. Also love Midsomer Murders, even although the body count is pretty high in those quaint villages. OH and I always have a bet on what the count will be.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
The "Life in the UK Test" I had to take/pass in order to get my UK residency (it is also the same test used for UK Citizenship) was a computerized test of 24 questions. I think you can miss up to 7 questions.

I studied for months and months (reading the study guide and taking online practice tests) beforehand and I found it a very difficult test! There were lots of percentages to know, etc. (But I did pass.)

Try it yourself! http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1
I got 70% first try, I passed I can be a Brit!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
PBS is re-airing MI-5, from the beginning, in Canada and US starting on Thursday, 30 Sept 2010.
Booo I've seen all those I want new stuff!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Booo I've seen all those I want new stuff!
I agree.....some like Keeping Up Appearances we almost know by heart. I can't stand to watch it anymore but my American husband still gets a kick out of it......go figure??????
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK you started it.

I don't like BBC America especially that dumb show Top Gear.

Love Rowan Atkinson but never understood 'Black Adder'

Never understood the Holy Grail?

I could watch A Fish Called Wander over and over again.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Love most of the brit mysteries too. If you haven't already seen it try tracking down "Foyle's War" with the wonderful Michael Kitchen. It is a mystery set in homeland England during WWII. Still miss John Thaw (Morse) and also enjoyed him in Kavanagh QC. Also love Midsomer Murders, even although the body count is pretty high in those quaint villages. OH and I always have a bet on what the count will be.
I also liked it and I would like to get the DVD.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

In arizona on PBS we get a great show called "New Tricks". It's very British and wonderful. I had huge school project due today and am cramming it in now as I watched the show last night as don't ever like to miss an episdoe! . check it out if it's in your area..
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi all my firends......well firstly PASSED MY CITIZENSHIP inteview yesterday, easy peasy....all that worry for nothing.
Really tired as i had a horrible flight etc that i wll tell all about tomorrow,
BUT wanted to say arrived heathrow at 11.30 a.m and so far have had
One Galaxy
One bag cheese and onion crisps
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie
2 slices hovis brown bread with corned beef and branston and very soon I am having a very large glass of wine.

First impressions, lots and lots of Cars.....and it was peeing down at heathrow when I landed, am I happy? you bet your life I am....
Had to laugh saw the ladies looking pissed off with heavy shopping bags from Iceland, walking.........never see anyone walking with bags where i live in USA.
Hey charleygirl,
I told you It would be easy,
Congrats on passing the USC test, hi (Yank)
Glad you arrived in UK safely,
Cant wait to hear all your news, keep posting wont you,
Rodney.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:43 am

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I got 70% first try, I passed I can be a Brit!
Pheww 87% I was worried though. Good if you think you have forgotten some things. Why can't my Birthday be a public holiday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.