Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi all my firends......well firstly PASSED MY CITIZENSHIP inteview yesterday, easy peasy....all that worry for nothing.
Really tired as i had a horrible flight etc that i wll tell all about tomorrow,
BUT wanted to say arrived heathrow at 11.30 a.m and so far have had
One Galaxy
One bag cheese and onion crisps
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie
2 slices hovis brown bread with corned beef and branston and very soon I am having a very large glass of wine.

First impressions, lots and lots of Cars.....and it was peeing down at heathrow when I landed, am I happy? you bet your life I am....
Had to laugh saw the ladies looking pissed off with heavy shopping bags from Iceland, walking.........never see anyone walking with bags where i live in USA.
Congratulations, on passing your citizen test. It has being doing the same thing here weather wise actually some areas of Northern Ayrshire had very bad flooding last night. Oh, my goodness, did you have a picnic in the middle of Heathrow:rofl, glad to hear you landed okay, sorry to hear you had horrible flight though. Have a wonderful evening, and enjoy the wine
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Well thought I'd post on this thread after spending many months reading it even though I am still 2 years shy of 50 - but many of my experiences/issues are definitely the same as most.

I came here just shy of 22 years ago now and feel the time is right to return home as I really don't want to grow old and retire here in the US. I am single so have no ties - except friendships - in the US and all my family are in England. My parents are getting older and my nieces and nephews are no longer kids or babies and I'd like to spend quality time with them - especially my parents.

So that being said I have just spent the past 6 months having my kitchen upgraded in my condo as well as new hardwood floors put in and am about - like within the next 48 hours - to put it on the market. I am hoping to sell it within 3-4 months but know there is a likelihood it could be longer but I have noticed more properties being sold in the downtown Jersey City area in the past month or so - so fingers crossed I can move it fairly quickly.

Now I have the apartment in shape I need to get round to getting rid of stuff - the sooner I start the less I will have to get rid of when I sell my place - as well as determining what I what to take home with me. It's amazing what one can accumulate over 20+ years!!

So congrats to all those who have made it back and good luck to all of those (including) me who are hoping to get back soon and looking forwards to both reading about peoples progress and giving updates on my own!!
Welcome aboard, glad to hear that your plans are under way and now the clearing away of all the stuff you never really needed in the first place
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all my firends......well firstly PASSED MY CITIZENSHIP inteview yesterday, easy peasy....all that worry for nothing.
One Galaxy
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie
2 slices hovis brown bread with corned beef and branston and very soon I am having a very large glass of wine.

First impressions, lots and lots of Cars.....and it was peeing down at heathrow when I landed, am I happy? you bet your life I am....
Had to laugh saw the ladies looking pissed off with heavy shopping bags from Iceland, walking.........never see anyone walking with bags where i live in USA.
Were those ladies coming from Iceland, the country, or Iceland the shop?

http://www.iceland.co.uk/page/view/our_food_grocery

I Googled scotch egg and the closest I have eaten is the boiled egg in a meat pie.

I was concerned about you taking the citizenship test. The test must have changed a lot since 1959. I thought it was difficult and didn't know a lot of the answers.

I had to Google the Cherry Bakewell. I remember them and I loved them.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 23rd 2010 at 10:09 am. Reason: add/ change.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:07 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

One Galaxy
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie

CONGRATULATIONS on passing your test! Will you be attending the swearing-in ceremony (whenever that will be)?

And WELCOME [back] to England! Yes, not a very good day in London weather-wise today. In fact, we were going to go to Kempton Market but changed our mind as there wouldn't be much going on there with the rain.

Doesn't all that food taste WONDERFUL after missing it for so long? We're still working our way through it all!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:11 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm sure someone has found this out and they could enlighten me over the tax situation in the UK. Is our US Social Security taxed in the UK?
I think it is taxed in the US technically if you make a lot of money.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...105254,00.html
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:28 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

charleygirl, so glad you're home! We only have a day left now, but we've eaten our way through England while we were here:

- fish n chips
- cheese and onion pasties
- full English breakfasts (veggie)
- Lakeland ice cream
- Galaxy chocolate bars
- Quavers

The list goes on. We'll need to diet for a month to lose the weight!

Fish n Chips asked about my husband and how he likes it ... he hasn't given me a definitive answer but he's very positive. Kendal is such a wonderful, warm place that he has really taken to it. He's now talking about coming back soon, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Had a lovely day today driving through the Lakes - we had four seasons in one day and enjoyed them all. Amazing skies and light. Brits don't know what they have. Tonight we got together for beer and pizza with some old friends. Tomorrow we're driving to Manchester for dinner with a different group of old friends. Life is good here and I'll be very sad to leave.

Enjoy your stay charleygirl!!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
What do you think of my suggestion..........for those selling property, have you though about including the furniture in your listing?

Just a thought. It might do the trick in selling fast.
Good idea! I sold a house in Virginia, on behalf of my brother's estate, with furniture in place - I staged the house like a demo house in a subdivision. Buyers were from another country and had no furniture - they bought it all!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Congratulations, on passing your citizen test. It has being doing the same thing here weather wise actually some areas of Northern Ayrshire had very bad flooding last night. Oh, my goodness, did you have a picnic in the middle of Heathrow:rofl, glad to hear you landed okay, sorry to hear you had horrible flight though. Have a wonderful evening, and enjoy the wine
congrats, yea we worry about it, till the test comes along then it's like, that was it!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

One Galaxy
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie

Congratulations on passing the citizenship test. That is a welcome relief for you. Please - don't post anything about your flight for the next two days - I fly out tomorrow and HATE, as in HATE, flying. And I check in with this site every evening.... thanks in advance. Rosie
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Congratulations on passing the citizenship test. That is a welcome relief for you. Please - don't post anything about your flight for the next two days - I fly out tomorrow and HATE, as in HATE, flying. And I check in with this site every evening.... thanks in advance. Rosie
I already know because she posted on another site. Basically they wouldn't let her on her flight because they gave away her seat. (late connection)
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Even though you HATE flying I'm sure you will have a great flight all the way, just close your eyes and think of England Bon Voyage. Elizabeth
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

for a smooth and super fast flight and you'll be there before you know it. Maybe a little adult beverage with the in flight movie will help?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

One Galaxy
One Cherry Bakewell.
One scotch egg
One mini pork pie

How Odd! Charleygirl, No need to do that with Iceland. Spend £25 on the Phone or internet, and they deliver free, so I am led to understand. Don
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boodles
Even though you HATE flying I'm sure you will have a great flight all the way, just close your eyes and think of England Bon Voyage. Elizabeth
Too funny! I am looking forward to meeting you one day - soon, I hope! And thanks to the peson who posted the real reason for the flight being horrid - bad enough, but not what I was thinking - a great relief to me!!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
for a smooth and super fast flight and you'll be there before you know it. Maybe a little adult beverage with the in flight movie will help?
Will do the adult beverage thing! My daughter suggested I did a few of those to tide me over....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.