Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Rodney,
Where approximately do you live in Las Vegas? I use to live in Henderson and my daughter lives there now. My son lives in the SW LV on Russell Road.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Denise,

How do you have a car in London? Don't you have to pay the congestion charge?

I think you are too young to qualify for FREE bus and tube benefits?

Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mummy in the foothills;8868990]
Originally Posted by jasper123

I just looked at the bed bath and beyond site and it has nice luggage sets too.
Hi Mummy,
I just looked at the bedbathandbeyond site and I found the very same case as I bought at Walmart, but BBAB lists there price for my case at $149.99
But I payed only $79 for mine which is the same case,
Mine is the 29inch Spinner lite in there red collection, from American Tourister,
Wow what a difference in the price at the two stores, I know now that I got a very good deal at Walmart,
I completely packed one case last night with half the stuff Im takeing with me (you know a dummy run) and then zipped it up and weighed it and it came to 49 pounds and the free limit on virgin is 50 pounds, ---- so I think I will keep my two cases from Walmart,
Take care Mummy and thank you,
Rodney.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:07 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Denise, How do you have a car in London? Don't you have to pay the congestion charge?
We are in Greater London, near Heathrow. Depending upon the situation, sometimes we'll tube into London (Hatton Cross station is very convenient for us) but other times Tony doesn't mind driving in. But we don't usually drive in until the week-end when there's no congestion charge.

I think you are too young to qualify for FREE bus and tube benefits?
Yes, I'm only 56 so we purchased Oyster cards that can be automatically topped-up online. Very convenient.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,
Where approximately do you live in Las Vegas? I use to live in Henderson and my daughter lives there now. My son lives in the SW LV on Russell Road.
Hi Cheers,
I live in a nice apartment complex at the lakes, Desert Inn and Fort Apache, on the far west side of Town, Ive been here for 12 years same address, I like the apartments cause they are spacious and each unit has there own separate remote control Garage, and its a nice quite safe neighborhood,
Henderson is where my friends used to live before they walked away from there 3 bedroom house and moved to Seattle Wa,
Take care Cheers,
I have to get ready for my night shift Job now,
Rodney.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
OK, this a BIG SHOUT OUT TO ISLANDWOMAN, the next of US to be getting on the plane to go home....By the way, which airline and route are you using?. We, your family here on BritExpat, want to be with you every step of the way; asking you not to forget us when you get home and let us know how everythng is working out for you. Three days and counting. Elizabeth
I am answering the SHOUT! Today I mailed 2 large Flat Rate boxes - large is a subjective term, the USPS calls them large, I don't! $56 each. And an M bag with books and printed material - another $84+. So that is taken care of - all I have to do tomorrow is finish packing the third suitcase - need to use the compression bags in that one - taking spare compression bags 'just in case' - I was a Girl Guide for many years, and still practice 'be prepared'...

By the way, if you use the M bag, not all post offices are aware they even exist, and many mail clerks do not know how to process them, so here goes: (I was not told this so had to take care of this at the post office counter today. Grrrr...) Make sure you only have printed material or CDs/DVDs relevant to what is in printed format. Then wrap or seal the contents in small boxes or large plastic bags - divide the books etc. into workable units, such as 6 or 7 books together in a plastic bag/box. Seal them securely, just like you would seal a parcel going on its own through the mail. Label each unit with the same address and return information as on the main bag. This is in case the bag rips open (horrors!) and the contents fall out, then the post office can redirect accordingly. Makes sense, I just did not think of that part of the process. The label for an M bag is a large swing tag that the post office gives you, which has a space for your return address and the address to which the bag is being sent. It also needs a green customs form, which the post office cancels and adheres to the swing tag. Then you coughs up your money and Bob's your uncle - away go your books.

I am flying out on US Air on Friday, from Minneapolis at 4pm, going to Philadelphia where I get the next flight to Heathrow, leaving Philly at 9 pm. So it will be a night flight, and I will be a jaded mess for the following two days. But hey, at least the flying will be over and I will be on British soil once again. I will recover in time.

I will keep up on here as best I am able once I get to the UK - I do not know what I will find for Internet connection at my friend's house, so I will have to wait and see.

Keep posting! And keep packing, Rodney!

A word to DDL - I will be staying in Ealing, so we will not be too far away from each other, at least as the crow flies. When I get a bit settled, I will send you a private message and see if we can link up.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I recommend going on Google Street View and looking around Tenby in South Wales. To me it is a Welsh secret.
Well! Cheers, Don't forget to mention, Lovely SAUNDERSFOOT> Even nicer than Tenby, if a little hilly. (Do have alook at Google Street View!) don
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well! Cheers, Don't forget to mention, Lovely SAUNDERSFOOT> Even nicer than Tenby, if a little hilly. (Do have alook at Google Street View!) don
Did that. Looks nice. Thank you for the heads up!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Hightide,
Congratulations indeed in selling your house, I bet you feel over the moon now dont you, ---- well thats a huge hurdle that you have Jumped, now on to getting your partners resident visa, sorry dont know anything about that though, but Don and others seem to have a lot of answers for you on that,
It looks like that It wont be too long now before you both will be happily living in UK, I seem to remember from your previous postings that you are planning first on going back home for a visit first to look around different parts of UK at buying a suitable bed & breakfast business,
I cant remember where in the UK you said you were originally born but I think if I was looking for a B&B I would love to live in either Devon or Cornwall or even Somerset, or somewhere in Wales, I have been to all these places very often as a kid growing up in UK, Love em all, especially the south of Wales,
Pembroke Dock was my Fathers birth place and where he was raised, his Mother was Welsh,
So Good luck on everything,
take care,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney,
Thank you for the Congratulations Yes am very excited here and can finally envision being back there.
My home was Teignmouth in Devon. just 7 miles up the coast from Torquay. My sister and brother in law still live there in the house my grandparents bought in 1920. My Mum & Dad lived there too as well as my great grandparents for a while. It would be great to find a place in that area but would be happy anywhere in the West Country. Also love Bournemouth and have looked at several different areas in Wales including Pembrokeshire where we have found several nice looking places. You seem to be able to get a lot more for your money in Wales.

Well time is counting down for your return home. You sound like you have everything under control. You will be home for Christmas which will be wonderful. We maybe there but it won't be the final move as that will most likely happen early in the New Year.

All the best, David
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

I recommend going on Google Street View and looking around Tenby in South Wales. To me it is a Welsh secret.
I checked out several places in that area tonight. love it !
Thanks for the tip.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did that. Looks nice. Thank you for the heads up!
Ditto !
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:27 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Our first trip up with bureaucracy and I feel like a naughty kid;

We have wheely bins here for trash (don't like em much, they look unsightly in gaggles standing outside houses all week - to the extent we put a gate in the back wall so that we can keep them out of sight)

Anyway, black for trash, green for recycle.
The recycle operators sort through each wheely bin to check what you got in there is 'permitted', I seen them open pizza boxes to look for contents. Today ours wasn't emptied and there was a pretty weather proof (un-recyclable) tag attached to advise us we had inappropriately put glass bottles in the recycle bin - . Friendly neighbor tells us oh no, glass in bin is not allowed, we have to take it by car to the special glass recycling centers on the other side of townso I have to use fuel to add to road congestion just to do the right thing with my couple of nicely washed jam jars
Oh well, into the trash bin they go
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
Our first trip up with bureaucracy and I feel like a naughty kid;

We have wheely bins here for trash (don't like em much, they look unsightly in gaggles standing outside houses all week - to the extent we put a gate in the back wall so that we can keep them out of sight)

Anyway, black for trash, green for recycle.
The recycle operators sort through each wheely bin to check what you got in there is 'permitted', I seen them open pizza boxes to look for contents. Today ours wasn't emptied and there was a pretty weather proof (un-recyclable) tag attached to advise us we had inappropriately put glass bottles in the recycle bin - . Friendly neighbor tells us oh no, glass in bin is not allowed, we have to take it by car to the special glass recycling centers on the other side of townso I have to use fuel to add to road congestion just to do the right thing with my couple of nicely washed jam jars
Oh well, into the trash bin they go
Where I lived at one time, Lousy folks, used to go for a walk late at night, and stick them in someone else's bin. There you go.....
Crusade in the local paper, for a Glass deposit sited in your locality. Don
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:13 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Where I lived at one time, Lousy folks, used to go for a walk late at night, and stick them in someone else's bin. There you go.....

Crusade in the local paper, for a Glass deposit sited in your locality.
Don
would make more sense that they collected glass, if they cant pick up then I certainly have more to do than campaign, I'll just trash the glass and to heck with it, maybe do the right thing later when life settles to 'normal'
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.J
would make more sense that they collected glass, if they cant pick up then I certainly have more to do than campaign, I'll just trash the glass and to heck with it, maybe do the right thing later when life settles to 'normal'
Yes JJ thats what I would do just trash the glass, even here now in the US I notice that we are getting more greener every year here too, My friend owns a house here and in his neighbourhood every house was given by the city two very large wheely bins, one green for the recyclable trash and one black for the regular trash, he keeps them hidden away in his garage until trash pick up day then he Just wheels them out front of house,
In apartment complexes though we just have these wacking big old dumpsters scattered around and we Just chuck (ALL) trash in them, no sorting,
Take care over there,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.