Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish, & everyone
Well this is how I see it, my life in the US has been good, and people have been good to me on the most part, this has been my home for a lot of years,
and I know I will miss a lot of things here,
But Its my time to go back home now to where I began my life, and to spend my remaining years in UK, theres not a single doubt in my mind that this is what I want to do,
But all of us on here who have made up our minds to go back home for good,
we all have been here for a good number of years, a lot of us like me way over half our lives, and we all have acumilated a lot of stuff over the years,
some stuff that we absolutely love and cant think of parting with,
Well for those people then they will either have to try and fit everything in several suitcases, and if the stuff is too big or theres just so much stuff that you need to take back then shipping is the awnser,

But me well Im divorced, I only have little old me so its a lot easier, and less stuff acumilated,
But the way I look at it is I just want to get rid of most of my things /sale/give away/ whatever, and only take the smaller things that are precious to me, I have lots of them, (but Im leaving the US for good and so I wont feel that Im starting a new life if I take most of the stuff with me from this old life)
And the feeling you have when you have finally got rid of most of your possessions and (declutered) is just wonderful, you feel lighter in your mind, and everything your whole life now just seems so much more simple,

Ive donated so far 15 big 30 gallon garbage bags of stuff to charity, almost finished sorting, got everything I need to take with me all in one place,
Last night on way home from work I bought two large suitcases at walmart, real nice ones good quality and strong, and the wheels are real sturdy too, (very important) with plenty of extra pockets outside, $79 each, today is one of my days off and Im going to have a dummy practice packing run and pack everything that Im takeing with me in the two cases and I shall see how I go,
It looks like it should all go in the two cases though, including 6 nice heavy warm jackets & all the other clothes, all my pictures and all the family pics too I have taken out of the frames and have put them all in big brown envelopes, I can reframe them when I get home, just buy a bunch of frames over there,
I have put all my cd,s (240) of them plus the labels in a nice small compact cd carrying case that will not take hardly any room up in my suitcase, I just chucked away the empty plastic cd cases,
And all my smaller things that I must take with me I am wrapping them all in bubble wrap so they wont break, suitcases go through a lot of abuse on the journey,
And when I buy my laptop that will go into my carry on bag,

So to everyone out there who are packing or just getting things sorted, the very best of British Luck to you all,
Take care,
And I hope everyones hopes and dreams come true,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, One thing I would advise is when you buy new suitcases to make sure they are the lightest you can purchase before you pack them, makes a huge difference when you get to the check in desk. There are some inexpensive and very durable ones out there which are very light. Also small things can be wrapped in socks and put into shoes, it will help protect them. I brought a porcelain set of Ann of Green Gables figurines and they arrived intact no problems at all.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Sep 20th 2010 at 6:14 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Well, that was one year that went by at the speed of light, I can hardly believe it!! So, Peigi, looking back, would you have done anything differently and, if so, what? Elizabeth
Yes, I would have done a few things differently. I would of left in the spring and not in the fall as jobs seem to be much easier to find then and I would have been more realistic in when I thought my husband and dogs would be able to join me. Some of the things that have been difficult are things that would have probable have happened anyways and there is nothing I could off done to prepare myself for or avoid them. The big thing is we should of moved when we sold our business and house five years previously and not invested the money in a ponsy financial scheme. We would have been able to move with enough money to purchase a small B&B somewhere in the UK and life would have been much different. But I believe that your life journey is as it is for a reason, it is just sometimes the reason is difficult for us to see.
So those who are waiting to move until you have more money, my advice is don't, as you get older the times when you can say I will do that better next time become less and less and you realize that this might be last time to be happy and content. Yes, it will be difficult, but the rewards will be much and yes you will have to compromise along the way but they will bring you more rewards than what you have lost.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Sep 20th 2010 at 6:17 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello J.J.
Wow over three months already since you have been back, It dont seem that long, I myself thank you for your honesty, It sounds like you have had as you say a few ups & downs to say the least,
one thing that stuck out in your post for me at least was --- (a rash of signs in shops advises there employees have a right to work without abuse from customers,)
Yes I understand your disappointment in customer service over there, employees seem to have a completely opposite approach to customers then the US, I have found that to be the case every time I have gone back home for a short holiday,
We notice it more cause we are used to the American customer service which is second to none,
But when you have been over there all your life and not lived anywhere else then those people are just used to what they have always known, so its Just normal for them ---- and so customer service will always be the same,
I remember the last time I was home for a 3 week holiday 4 years ago I had to go to the corner convenient shop, and I needed to buy a can of shaving foam and some more blades, I bought a few more things, there were 7 Items altogether and the shop assistant a girl about 18 scanned them all and told me the price and I paid in cash, ---- and there my stuff just sat there on the counter for about a minute, I was looking at her and she just was looking at the other customers behind me, and then she looked at me again with this totally uninterested look on her face --- and said well what are you waiting for?
I was astonished at her rude comment and I just said --- well a bag to put this stuff in would be very nice, --- she could see that I had nothing to put them in, she probably expected me to just try and stuff them in the pockets of my blue jeans,
So with that she just chucked a small paper bag on the counter and that was it, so I just stuffed the 7 Items in the bag and said to her have you ever thought of changing your line of work cause I think your attitude really stinks,
And maybe you would be more suited to a factory Job where you dont have to deal with customers, because you give me the impression that you dont like people too much,
But thankfully Its not really too wide spread, I think it all depends on where you live and what kind of business it is, Pub service is always good I think,
Supermarkets are good too I think in general over there, and If you go out and buy your weekly fish & chips to take home then those people are normally very friendly too,
I hope everything from now on goes very well for you J.J. Take good care and (please keep posting) you are living our dream --- but you are actually living it now, we see through you and all our other friends who are already over there Like Ed/Pegie DDL/Denise, charleygirl and Islandwoman getting ready to go in a few days, and there are so many more but --- sorry all ---my memory is failing me right now, and also people like Bluenose123 who is a long time resident Englishperson, he gives us all still over here a lot of advice and wisdom,
Rodney.
Rodney, I found the same thing when purchasing items in stores but I finally realized that they are actually trying to encourage the customers to bring their own bags. Still it should be done with a nicer attitude, I personally have had only a couple of those type of assistants most I have run into have gone out of their way to be friendly and accomidating. Mind you I think they think I am a tourist as I speak with a Canadian accent
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cigi

We have most things almost ready for a move back in say 12 months but our furry friends are very important to us and it's difficult, nay almost impossible, to figure out what to do for the best.

Mick.
I know what you mean - we have the same plan (to wait until they pass away) but not because of the lack of space. They're indoor cats anyway so other than missing their home, they wouldn't know any different. But I worry about the stress of the travel and all the upheaval and what it would do to them. They don't understand the way we do, and it must be terrifying to be put in a cage and shipped on a long flight (or if we take the QM, on a long boat ride).

I have tried to keep up while I'm here but haven't had much time. Just wanted to update everyone on all things UK while I'm here and you're all over there. Just random thoughts and impressions:

- I have yet to run across anyone in a shop or bar who isn't lovely and friendly. Last night we had a chat with the lady running quiz night in the pub. These little conversations spring up everywhere - I never chat to strangers in the US.

- It has been a mix of sun and clouds but I had forgotten about the wonderful light here. When you look at the hills around here, there are patches where the sun is coming through the clouds and it's just breathtaking. We don't get that where we are because it's always either sunny or cloudy. No real inbetween.

- Kirkby Lonsdale might be the most scenic little town in the world!

- Fish n chips and a wonderful cup of tea for lunch yesterday in Skipton

- Kendal Brewery Arts Center (http://www.breweryarts.co.uk/) is a wonderful place. For me, all the art classes, plays, exhibits and concerts are reason enough to choose this as our home if we come here - and that's before I even talk about the wonderful bar they have filled with interesting people and good conversation.

- People keep going on about how much England has changed and I don't see it yet. Sure it's more multicultural (a good thing in my opinion) and definitely there is a lot more sophistication in terms of food shops, restaurants etc., but other than that, it's all very familiar.

- Kendal is a ghost town after 6pm - all the stores are closed and we're not used to that.

- Have yet to be mugged or stabbed ;-)

We're off today to drive by some properties in our price range and see how they appear. Plus we might drive to Lake Windermere, which is only a few miles away.

Wish you were all here!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

PS: Just after I wrote that, we got into a conversation with our neighbor. She was lovely and after we finished talking, I realized that's more than I've spoken to my neighbors in NY ever (in 12 years!!)
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Such lovely readig first thing in the morning.........Rodney your post about going home 2 pages back brought tears to my eyes.......
sally you put a huge smile on my face.........I have not been home for more than 2 weeks at a time for 13 years apart from one summer and I have always been looking for the changes, not found them and I find everyone friendly in the stores too, but then i am a chatting person and talk to everyone.....I think what you put out there comes back to you.
I am so excited and have butterflies in my tummy!

About the possessions thing........3 years ago my mum, 85 at the time, lost everything in a fire, her flat was burnt to the ground...it changed the way I look at "stuff" . I have been so ruthless in my decluttering. I thought to myself here is this lady who lost every thing and yet she still gets up everyday in her newly built place and life is good for her, sure she missed her things for a while, one day when i was over there soon after the fire, it was raining ( er what a surprise)I asked for an umbrella, didnt have one, lost in the fire, the thing she missed the most and was most upset about, her rosary beads my dad had bought her. And so since then I have changed, we are all just thankful she survived.
Good luck to everyone in their plans.
And I have some prices for shipping extra boxes some where that I got from HSG and will post them later, in between packing!

Last edited by charleygirl; Sep 20th 2010 at 11:40 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I have not been home for more than 2 weeks at a time for 13 years apart from one summer and I have always been looking for the changes, not found them and I find everyone friendly in the stores too, but then i am a chatting person and talk to everyone.....I think what you put out there comes back to you.
I am so excited and have butterflies in my tummy!
Hi Charleygirl,

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK for your USC test tomorrow and for your flight so shortly thereafter. Will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best for your time there, catching up with your mam and family. Your kids will all be fine at home so try not to stress too much, a little responsibility and independence will do them no harm, and they are just a telephone call away.
Once you get settled in that aircraft seat, take a deep breath and have a glass of wine for us all!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:15 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Quote snipped for brevity

This is a bit of a stumbling block for us.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, our cat Wilson has just passed away. We have two other cats who are indoor/outdoor and are used to having a free rein to wander around the open spaces of our locality. Our plan originally was to move back to the UK in say 5 to 8 years and perhaps the cats may not be around then. But, what if we were to take the plunge and return back to the UK sooner rather than later meaning that the cats would come with us?
What a traumatic experience it would be for them moving from the wide open spaces of Oklahoma to a tiny terraced cottage on a back street in the North of England? I wonder if they would cope with the change?

We have most things almost ready for a move back in say 12 months but our furry friends are very important to us and it's difficult, nay almost impossible, to figure out what to do for the best.

Mick.
Hiya Mick,

we have three cats, our cat and my other son's two cats. They all adjusted well and they are extremely happy with the garden. They love the size of the birds here, real entertainment for them!! We havent had any problem with them. We kept them indoors for the first month- month and a half- then left the door open so they could go ou or come in at will. They love it!! Just make sure you start the passport program, so they wont have to be separated from you.
Oh, really, really sorry about your other cat. I lost one of mine just 1 month before we came over. She was 18 so she would have had a rough time of the trip, but I still was heartbroken over it.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Celtic thats good Info...

My friend went British Airways Seattle to UK non stop.
Thanks, I've done it twice already. If your friend travelled on BA directly into the UK, her pet would have had to be in the air-conditioned hold. I have a lot of dog show friends here in the US who go to Crufts with dogs each year and thy fly to Paris or somewhere in Europe and do th channel route.
Leaving for Adelaide to judge a dog show in two weeks. Can't wait to experience OZ as I know many on this list live there. We will also spend a week in Sydney. However my long term goal is returning to Northern Ireland permanently and after 38 years in the US. I am fascinated by all the new returnees experiences (also very envious) and it gives me the courage to start making plans.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:22 am
Just Joined

ES1943 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member, located in Cincinnati, Ohio. I just recently discovered this great web site and have been printing off all the valuable information for my "Return to the UK Binder." I was born in Lancashire (Radcliffe) and emigrated to the Washington, DC area in 1963. I've been dithering over returning to the UK for years and I think it's time I make up my mind.

I really don't want to return to the Radcliffe/Bolton/Greater Manchester area - I'd like to be nearer the water and I'm thinking of the Morecambe/Lancaster area. My best friend lives near Bolton and that's about an hour on the train away and I have a friend in Carnforth which is about 30 minutes away. I have family in Derbyshire but I think I want to stay in the North. (I actually like cold damp weather!)

If any returnees have settled in the North I would love to hear about your feelings about the area you've chosen.

Thanks!

Elaine
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Rodney, One thing I would advise is when you buy new suitcases to make sure they are the lightest you can purchase before you pack them, makes a huge difference when you get to the check in desk. There are some inexpensive and very durable ones out there which are very light. Also small things can be wrapped in socks and put into shoes, it will help protect them. I brought a porcelain set of Ann of Green Gables figurines and they arrived intact no problems at all.
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the advice on the lightweight luggage, when I bought my two from Walmart a couple of days ago I didn't realise till I got home that they are quite heavy just empty, so Im going to return them and get my money back and look around somewhere else for light as possible cases,
And also that what you said about putting small breakable things in socks and then putting them in the shoes for protection, that is a great Idea, and I have porcelain sets of figurines too,
You see how helpful little things like that are, sometimes we would not have thought of it ourselves,
Thanks again and good luck again on the medical at work, by the way when do you have to take the medical?
Rodney.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
- Kirkby Lonsdale might be the most scenic little town in the world!
-
We're off today to drive by some properties in our price range and see how they appear. Plus we might drive to Lake Windermere, which is only a few miles away.

Wish you were all here!
Where are you looking? I want to follow you on Rightmove.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:56 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by cheers
Where are you looking? I want to follow you on Rightmove.
Today we looked in Kendal itself and tomorrow we plan to go out into the surrounding villages to look at what our money would buy there (Staveley, Levens, Crook etc). So far so good - I feel much more positive here than I did about the houses I have seen in the States. I know now that this is where I want to be. Not a doubt in my mind.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:04 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Quote snipped for brevity

Mick.
We feel we did the right thing in coming back when we were ready and not trying to do what might be best for our cat - although we were concerned of the consequent effect upon him.
He has always been an outdoor loving cat in NC USA, and had never even been in kennels, but despite the kennels and flight cargo and more kennels and confinement in the caravan with us and then more confinement in the final house he stayed as normal towards us as ever - although he discovered that howling in an empty room amplified his complaints of being confined - and drove us nuts at times..

One thing that was important to him, his carrier that he came over in had been introduced to him a few weeks before we traveled and so he was familiar with it. Back here, we kept the carrier open and available to him in the kennels and then in our accommodations and he used it quite a lot as a familiar place to hunker down and get away from it all. We feel it comforted him as a stable part of his before life. he uses it less now.

He was not a fan of toys back there, preferring the live attractions, but we gave him a few different new toys here and he became attracted to a couple of them. We also were sure to give him playtime twice a day so that he got attention amongst the disruptions.

He's now been free to come and go for 3 days, First day he was gone for a worrying 15 hrs, 2nd day him came back a couple times, now the 3rd day and he comes back every couple hours just as he did 'back there'. We feel, with relief, that he has settled in quite well.
And this was our experience too with the UK cat that we took to US 18 yrs ago.

Last edited by J.J; Sep 21st 2010 at 10:16 am.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:21 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Further to the rude shop assistant experiences, they are a minority, most are pleasant enough.
Stores have return policies but our experience is that returnees are not greeted with much enthusiasm and the manager has to be called to counter sign the chitty. They do reluctantly accept things back, broken or just unsuitable, the policy works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.