Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Sorry to jump in here but your manager is an a###hole and deserves payback for the way they are treating you and the other staff.
It is against employment laws not to pay staff when pay is due, and totally illegal not to provide payslips. The working time directive prohibits working an excessive number of hours per week (averaged over a number of weeks), I think it's 45 hours or therabouts.
As Fish and Chips 56 has already said, get yourself get the Citizens Advice Bureau they will advise you of exactly what rights you have and what action you need to take. I think you might have to request your payslip in writing and there could be a time limit on it but the CAB will know for definate.
If you raise a valid complaint and are fired you can take them to an industrial tribunal, similarly if you are being bullied and have evidence to support that you can walk away and have them done for what is called constructive dismissal. Document everything and get along to the CAB.
Thanks for the wishes and the advice
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Sorry to jump in here but your manager is an a###hole and deserves payback for the way they are treating you and the other staff.
It is against employment laws not to pay staff when pay is due, and totally illegal not to provide payslips. The working time directive prohibits working an excessive number of hours per week (averaged over a number of weeks), I think it's 45 hours or therabouts.
As Fish and Chips 56 has already said, get yourself get the Citizens Advice Bureau they will advise you of exactly what rights you have and what action you need to take. I think you might have to request your payslip in writing and there could be a time limit on it but the CAB will know for definate.
If you raise a valid complaint and are fired you can take them to an industrial tribunal, similarly if you are being bullied and have evidence to support that you can walk away and have them done for what is called constructive dismissal. Document everything and get along to the CAB.
I totally agree also go by the Jobcentre plus and tell them about not being paid etc, see what can be done on that end. They stick you all on benefits to tide you all over till you find something else.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boodles
Hello there Trottytrue, I'm still hanging around and check in every day to see how people are getting on, thank you for remembering me. I'm a really quiet critter, which is why I don't contribute very much to the discussion, I suppose... and we have no actual plans to go home, only dreams.

Our situation is much more simple than others, we only have ourselves to consider, no children, no ties, no house to sell, no pets etc, and if my husband was a UKC we would be on a plane tomorrow, but, as he is a Canadian, I have to sponsor him and we will have to prove that we have sufficient funds to live on before the UK immigration will issue him a visa. That is where we have problems. It looks insurmountable...I feel like I am at a huge sheer cliff face and looking up can only say, How the blooming bejabbers are we going to climb that!!! Also, as neither of us have any family or friends in the UK, we do not have anywhere to stay and trying to rent from here, having to pay out 6 months rent in advance, not knowing if or when a visa would be forthcoming, is not doable.

But, even having said all that, the past year or so we have been slowly getting rid of everything we don't need. There is an SPCA thriftstore not far from us and we have been taking stuff in almost every week, they raise between $3000/$4000 a month for all the little pooches and assorted critters, it makes both of us feel good, as we love dogs and have had them in the past. This weekend they (the SPCA) came and collected our dining room table and chairs, we never used them anyway. All our cupboards have been cleaned out and only the barest of necessary items have been kept, I am down to a dozen books, after having owned hundreds, all donated to local libraries and reading groups; I think books should be read, not sit on shelves gathering dust and as I am not likely to re-read them it is nice to know that someone is enjoying them. Piles of old sheets and towels have been taken to the SPCA hospital so creatures in need can have a little comfort from them.

So, as you can see, can not see a way of being able to go, but, planning to go anyway, I have great faith in God and the Universe, something will come along and we will be ready. My hopes and dreams, connect to all those of you who have the same desire...TO GO HOME. Elizabeth

Elizabeth i do feel for you and your situation. I know it might seem impossible at times but i do believe in positive thinking.If you believe it can happen it will, it just might take a little longer than you would like. There are so many already come back who at some stage thought it was not possible and now they are here. Don't ever give up on your hopes and dreams and it will happen, i will be praying for you too.

Chris
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Hi Rodney not long now until you are home with your mum, hope all your plans are coming together and theres not too much stress along the way.

Chris
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Peigi/ED I'm so sorry things are not working out hopefully your next position will be the right one. You know what they say third time lucky. I'm thinking of you and hope things work out you deserve it.

Take care Chris
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

I do still wonder if there is something we can all do that are already back to help the people with no family or friends at home. Someone once said about a halfway house type place just until people got established. If i win the lottery anytime soon i think that's what i would like to do.

Chris
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
So Rodney you will be arriving in the UK on the lst Novemeber which is All Saints Day. Very appropriate........ You wont be going anywhere if you dont get to that garage

Boodles....Its so easy to forget people on forums they seem to pass like ships in the night but I think its nice to keep up to date in case people need a little moral boost. I liked to say it was because I was up to date on everyone but its because I went back to the start of the thread to bookmark all the good sites that people had mentioned and then I started to see all the names of those who had posted and their sometimes sad and heartfelt stories. A great many of us on here have had difficult times but I think we all have that desire to finish what we started. I hope you fulfill your dreams
The website below gives all the information on Visas for anyone else wondering if Boodles situation is the same as yours.

www.ukvisas.gov.uk

ED....You have really had some bad luck I would say to hold back rent from them but your place is probably rent free with your job. Citizens Advice bureau sounds like a good place to start. Heard anything about the other jobs you applied for.

HighSpeedGrandma...Sounds like you are having a lovely time. Your boobs story had me laughing. How about shoes in Hong Kong do they cater to larger feet and yes keep posting we need to hear how you are doing and coping with the new life although you seem to be doing great at the moment.
Hi trottytrue,
I am leaving Vegas on November 30th and arriving at Gatwick December 1st is that all saints day? I dont have a UK calender,
I still cant seem to get the motivation to get to the garage sorting and chucking but I now have given myself a time limit to have the garage completely cleaned out by the end of this month, I should start it soon cause Its quite cool now in Vegas today only 102f but by next week its going to be 110 to 112 from then on
Rodney.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi trottytrue,
I am leaving Vegas on November 30th and arriving at Gatwick December 1st is that all saints day? I dont have a UK calender,
I still cant seem to get the motivation to get to the garage sorting and chucking but I now have given myself a time limit to have the garage completely cleaned out by the end of this month, I should start it soon cause Its quite cool now in Vegas today only 102f but by next week its going to be 110 to 112 from then on
Rodney.
All Saints Day is November 1st, my birthday! Good luck with the garage sorting - 102F seems really hot to me - I am up on Lake Superior at themoment - in the 70s.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hi Rodney not long now until you are home with your mum, hope all your plans are coming together and theres not too much stress along the way.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I am geting more excited with every day that passes as the date comes nearer,
My Mum told me that she is going by coach to the cotswolds with friends from her club, she left Portsmouth this Tuesday so she is there right now having a wonderful time no doubt, she has been there once before and says she loves it there, Its just for a few days but it will be a nice break for her,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rodney misread your date of leaving thought it was September 30th. Stop delaying your clean up you will ending panicking and throw things out you may want to keep.
First get into the garage and go though everything and make piles, keep, throw out, give to charity and not sure. Then go back a few days later and go through again. By the end of the week you will have those things which really mean something to you in the keep pile. Then you have to pack them in boxes and call the salvation army to come do a pick up and take the rest to the dump......Or have a garage sale

Islandwoman120...You share my sons birthday.1st November.....Good day to be born....
Old Aug 12th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Elizabeth i do feel for you and your situation. I know it might seem impossible at times but i do believe in positive thinking.If you believe it can happen it will, it just might take a little longer than you would like. There are so many already come back who at some stage thought it was not possible and now they are here. Don't ever give up on your hopes and dreams and it will happen, i will be praying for you too.

Chris
Thank you Chris, every pray, every good thought, goes a long way in sustaining my hopes and dreams, I appreciate yours; and, add my best wishes for your continued health and happiness. Elizabeth.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I think it would be either Devon, The Dales, the Cotswolds or actually anywhere other than a very large city/town where I could find a good pernament job and a nice little place to live.
Yes, the Cotswolds would be my dream spot. Perhaps you should really change your career and write a TV script based on your experiences at that hotel, I'm sure it would be more compelling than Fawlty Towers (one of my favorite all time shows) your script would be just as funny and have the added ingredients of shady owners from the East, eminent financial collapse, disappearing cooks, aggravated unpaid employees, etc. That series could run for years. Elizabeth
Old Aug 13th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Boodles...Thankyou for the information on the Visa glad to know I dont need one but did realize that my husband will need one. Not sure how this is all going to work out it does get complicated.
We got news from the vet that our dog failed her Titre test. She does not have enough antibodies in her blood stream it suppose to be anything higher than a 5 but hers was a 3.5. The vet suggested she gets a booster but as she has to have her second rabies shot in September I said we should wait doesnt seem like we will be going anywhere soon.
I took my frustrations out on the kitchen floor and gave it a good clean. Not much else you can do. I read and do my embroidery and that keeps me from thinking to much. The garden has now past its best. This time of year is always not and nasty and everthing tends to droop or be past its best. Its a very short season in New England.

PC. Maccallum.. how come you ended up in Ireland?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/britnews.htm

The above is a good website for newpapers from all over the country.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
All Saints Day is November 1st, my birthday! Good luck with the garage sorting - 102F seems really hot to me - I am up on Lake Superior at themoment - in the 70s.
Island woman,
I would love to be on Lake Superior ---- 70,s Wow that just sounds so nice,
Where is that --- what State is that in?
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.