Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Thanks, Between Two Worlds and wawa for the good wishes, someday I hope to have some good news to reports, I am sure people must be getting fed up listening to my woes, I am certainly tired of hearing myself say them.
But onwards and upwards as they say
ED you will, when one door shuts another one opens, you will see!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

ED..I am going to be weeding at the top of the driveway where I buried St.Joseph While I am on my knee's I shall be saying a prayer for all of us wanting to sell our houses and while I am at it I shall put a good word in for you. Lets hope it works Have a wonderful weekend and re-charge those batteries.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to say before that St Joseph worked for us!

Buried him in the back yard upside down, said the prayers (omitting the threatening-sounding bits some prayers include) and got an offer the next day!

Ok to be fair we buried him after someone came to see the house and seemed interested....but still. Amazing!

Tina
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well, I finally had enough today and quit, it me get my wages etc.
I will try enjoy this weekend off, my first in almost 3 months so will take a bus to one of the little seaside towns close to where I live and enjoy the view figure who I am and where I want to be.
Hello ED, Sorry for not being in touch - but having to fend for myself, while Tim is doing the Massage Course. Been also studying furniture prices, at various online outlets in Shropshire, and found a good ''Charity shop'', with only quality S/H items. So will check them out first. (Sue Ryder foundation).
I was so sorry to hear, of the appalling way you were treated, by the Manager, and the no payment. I always believe, that retribution, is for folks like that. - there has to be - the Good Lord, watches over these things. Do regroup, pick yourself up, dust yourself off - and there we go. Wish we were there- Tim is such a good Buddhist, always doing merit- We would take you by the arm, and give you some relaxation. Thinking of you - love Don xx
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

ED so sorry to hear that this job has gone pear shaped but it definitely sounds like you are better out of it and hopefully someone will support you in getting what you are owed.

I am sure not all hotels are like this - my son worked in a really good one in Cambridge for a while (hard work but a nice place) so I do hope you can pick up something soon.

To everyone else, it is so good to hear of your planning and work towards your goal. Some of you have even inspired me to declutter .... just in case!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:49 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Oh E.D., so sorry to hear all the problems. You did the right thing quitting as they dont deserve any more of your time. Do go to the jobs centre as I believe you can claim job seekers whilst you look for something else. I still believe every thing for a reason and if you are still considering a new area, this would be a good time to look into it. As Don says, Shropshire is lovely and also Cheshire, which if you are on the east cheshire side , there are still loads of job opportunities in S-O-T as a lot of distribution warehouses are located there. Its not exactly what you are looking for, but may be a more secure beginning to what could lead to finding what you really want. Just ring me if you ever want a little tour around this area.
Keep the faith and things will work out. and prayers for you.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Oh E.D., so sorry to hear all the problems. You did the right thing quitting as they dont deserve any more of your time. Do go to the jobs centre as I believe you can claim job seekers whilst you look for something else. I still believe every thing for a reason and if you are still considering a new area, this would be a good time to look into it. As Don says, Shropshire is lovely and also Cheshire, which if you are on the east cheshire side , there are still loads of job opportunities in S-O-T as a lot of distribution warehouses are located there. Its not exactly what you are looking for, but may be a more secure beginning to what could lead to finding what you really want. Just ring me if you ever want a little tour around this area.
Keep the faith and things will work out. and prayers for you.
Hi all, just a quick check in to let you know I am still very much alive and avidly read your posts........

Peigi/ED hope things come up trumps for you real soon.

Barb
Old Aug 14th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Boodles...Thankyou for the information on the Visa glad to know I dont need one but did realize that my husband will need one. Not sure how this is all going to work out it does get complicated.
We got news from the vet that our dog failed her Titre test. She does not have enough antibodies in her blood stream it suppose to be anything higher than a 5 but hers was a 3.5. The vet suggested she gets a booster but as she has to have her second rabies shot in September I said we should wait doesnt seem like we will be going anywhere soon.
I took my frustrations out on the kitchen floor and gave it a good clean. Not much else you can do. I read and do my embroidery and that keeps me from thinking to much. The garden has now past its best. This time of year is always not and nasty and everthing tends to droop or be past its best. Its a very short season in New England.

PC. Maccallum.. how come you ended up in Ireland?
Ireland is where our son and his family live. We always said this was our ideal place for all of us to live. It's how the UK used to be years ago it's like going back in time, we love it here, always have. I can go outside when i'm here unlike Florida. That climate never did suit me and never will. I lost 2 stone while living in Usa but now i'm beginning to put some back on, i feel so much healthier, we love being outdoors. We are living in a forest we just walk out the door and go walking. Not everyones idea of fun but we love it. The down side is you have to travel to the shops and not a lot of choice.

Chris
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Ireland is where our son and his family live. We always said this was our ideal place for all of us to live. It's how the UK used to be years ago it's like going back in time, we love it here, always have. I can go outside when i'm here unlike Florida. That climate never did suit me and never will. I lost 2 stone while living in Usa but now i'm beginning to put some back on, i feel so much healthier, we love being outdoors. We are living in a forest we just walk out the door and go walking. Not everyones idea of fun but we love it. The down side is you have to travel to the shops and not a lot of choice.

Chris

Sounds wonderful to me... Good for you...
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Not been here for 2 days and now two pages on......ED so so sorry about the job, its one thing hanging on if you think there maybe a turn round but sorry rube biatch of a manager you did the right thing, good vibes going you way.
Thinking of everyone in this thread who want to get home...hoping for you all.

My girls are 18 tomorrow......wow can not believe it they were just turning 5 when we arrived, Oh gosh so sad really.....anyway must keep a stiff upper lip and be strong.......
6 weeks from now I will be with my mum for the start of 8 wonderful weeks.......can hardly contain myself....

Keep strong everyone HSG I laughed so hard at your post, er no chance of problem for me like that

had my fingerprints done on Wed. so one step closer to my citizenship.
Good on ya charleygirl,
Fingerprints done ---- so it wont be long now before your interview, good luck and dont forget that the questions are real easy, they really want you to pass,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by charleygirl
My girls are 18 tomorrow......wow can not believe it they were just turning 5 when we arrived, Oh gosh so sad really.....anyway must keep a stiff upper lip and be strong.......
6 weeks from now I will be with my mum for the start of 8 wonderful weeks.......can hardly contain myself....

Keep strong everyone HSG I laughed so hard at your post, er no chance of problem for me like that

had my fingerprints done on Wed. so one step closer to my citizenship.
Hi Charleygirl, hope the twins birthday celebrations went well! Time is going to fly and soon you will be sitting on that aircraft heading home to your mum. I suppose treating yourself to the QM2 would be pushing your luck a bit? Regarding your US citizenship, is there an age limit there? I know once you are 54 in Canada you dont have to write the test! Whoopie. Not that I am insinuating you are of THAT age. I have already been waiting a year and no word from them. Its painfuly slow here. Cant imagine what the holdup is
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi Charleygirl, hope the twins birthday celebrations went well! Time is going to fly and soon you will be sitting on that aircraft heading home to your mum. I suppose treating yourself to the QM2 would be pushing your luck a bit? Regarding your US citizenship, is there an age limit there? I know once you are 54 in Canada you dont have to write the test! Whoopie. Not that I am insinuating you are of THAT age. I have already been waiting a year and no word from them. Its painfuly slow here. Cant imagine what the holdup is
A Year??? Id be writing or calling, that seems like an awful long time... Good Luck to you on that...

I know these people can be hard to deal with especally on the phone, For some stupid reason they hire people who speak Very Poor English... Its Frustrating...
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8777961]A Year??? Id be writing or calling, that seems like an awful long time... Good Luck to you on that...

I know these people can be hard to deal with especally on the phone, For some stupid reason they hire people who speak Very Poor English... Its Frustrating...[/QUOTE]

Oh I know, Fish. I detest the system and the bureaucrats! I have called in on a few occasions, and I am told the application has been sent to my local office. Its just frustrating, as you say, as there is nothing you can do I am at their mercy
Old Aug 15th 2010, 2:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite ever was during our green card process. For some reason I can't remember we had to go to an office in Connecticut and wait in line with hundreds of other people. The counters had only 3 people working, so we were there for hours and hours. It was Valentine's Day and there was one clerk - a middle-aged lady who obviously hated her job with a passion - who was spending her time sticking little Valentine's stickers onto her glass window (hearts, cupids etc.)

She'd serve one person, then stop to peel off and stick on another little heart. And she did it so painfully s-l-o-w-l-y that I was ready to kill her. It took about 5 minutes each time. My husband kept telling me to calm down because one wrong word and your paperwork mysteriously gets lost. Gah! I still get mad thinking about that stupid woman!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wawa
QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8777961]A Year??? Id be writing or calling, that seems like an awful long time... Good Luck to you on that...

I know these people can be hard to deal with especally on the phone, For some stupid reason they hire people who speak Very Poor English... Its Frustrating...
Oh I know, Fish. I detest the system and the bureaucrats! I have called in on a few occasions, and I am told the application has been sent to my local office. Its just frustrating, as you say, as there is nothing you can do I am at their mercy [/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Boy I had the run around too, My fingerprints had to be redone many different times, each time Id expect everything was OK only to find out months later the prints were no good, had been destoyed, plus now they were sending me somewhere else to get them redone.

I called the local INS office only to be transferred to California, then I had to try understand the twang or jabber coming from someone that just got off the boat from China or some other place.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Aug 15th 2010 at 3:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.