Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:21 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I have a question about the boxes you sent, can you tell me who you sent them with and do you remember how much they cost, you know just an average per pound even something like that. I have some things that if I make it back i want to take but no enough to send in a container or anything.
We sent 10 boxes from the US to the UK. We bought the boxes at Wal-Mart (18x18x19) and sent them via US mail. The average price - roughly - was around $150/box. We sent back clothing, shoes, coats, handbags, etc. and 3-4 of those boxes were filled with decorative items, Christmas ornaments, and all the other general misc. items we wanted to bring. Most of the boxes only took a little over a week to get here and there was no damage whatsoever.

We also sent over one smallish box of books, and these were sent via US mail as well, utilizing the M-Bag, which you can read about on the USPS website: http://www.usps.com/

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bluenose123;8784101]Thanks Cheers, I do enjoy my wine, and will drop you a few bottles off if and
when you return. The problem here is most families have more than one car
and parking space is at a premium. As soon as kids are old enough they think they are entitled to a set of wheels.
I am well aquainted with styles, as metal detecting is another of my hobbies,
but I have to bribe the farmers with my plonk.

Rodney, as you are a bonny lad of 65, you would not have been old enough
for National Service. Might well have changed your life. Best of luck in Pompey.

The one person who seems to have no luck at all is ED,as nobody should have to put up with the endless heartbreak she has enjured. I wonder if you
have considered going back to Canada? On the other hand, you might find it a little easier in the Lake District ,Cotswolds, or even further south.
I just hope you land on your feet ASAP.
It is now 1-15 am, so good night to you all.

Hello bluenose,
Yes I misunderstood the question, your right of course I missed the national service draft by a few years in England,
But when I emigrated to Australia at 19 I had to register for the draft for the Vietnam war that just started the year was 1965 But for the few years that I could have been called up into the army I was not, so I was rather thankful for that, it was a US war but OZ was dragged into it too,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
But when I emigrated to Australia at 19 I had to register for the draft for the Vietnam war that just started the year was 1965 But for the few years that I could have been called up into the army I was not, so I was rather thankful for that, it was a US war but OZ was dragged into it too,
Take care,
Rodney.
Wow, that's why I love this thread, you learn something every day! I had no idea that Australians were also involved in Vietnam. So glad you didn't have to go!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello cheers,
dont understand your comment sorry,
My comment was confusing I admit.
I was trying to say the DMV in Nevada takes a lot of patience because of how long it takes. Wait, wait, wait.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=charleygirl;8785681]Good Morning everyone, well I must be feeling a bit emotional because Denise, you post made tears well up in ..

Hi Charleygirl, lovely to hear from you and keeping fingers crossed the weeks will fly past and you get back to the uk for some me time relax and see how you feel when you have been there a while. We are still trying to get this car sorted, it has cost £400 to get it converted to meet uk standards, and yesterday we had to bring it for an IVA test to get the certificate to prove it does meet the standard. Well it was like something out of Faulty towers: We arrived the test was 45 mins late starting, the little man came over very humble and polite explaining why the test was being done, started test, then told us would we like to go for a walk as the next stage of the test would take approx 2 hours went outside was pouring rain blowing a gale so decided to wait in the office of the DVLNI oh after 45 minutes decided to go and see how things were getting on, well there was three or four men round the car with stings and god k nows what, the little man came running down to oh and asked had we another set of keys, as they had locked the keys in the car luckily we had, anyway the next thing my husband saw the little man take the car for a drive round the building when he saw my oh he got a bit embarrassed and said what a lovely car, so needless to say we passed I'm rally not sure if they knew what they were doing, they asked oh what weight the seat belts held: so that is that over now on to get it re registered, would I do it again, yes I still think it was worth bringing home as we would have had to buy one here and it would have cost a lot more in the long run, will let you know how competent the rest of the saga goes, have'nt found anywhere to live yet as the car is taking all our time, my daughter is in catering and has a new chip van, they have got a site at this years Rose of Tralee competition its a hugh international event here in Ireland, so I will be babysitting my grandkids and throughly spoiling them hopefully after that we will really concentrate on a HOME at last, cheers to you all and best wishes
Denise
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Morning everyone.......DDL thanks for the box info, that is what i was looking for. If er no let me say When I move back I wont have a lot of stuff so 10 boxes would be about right......I am prepared to leave all my furniture etc just want my personal stuff, I am taking an extra suitcase on my trip which by the way is 5 weeks from now i will be home.

Denise1 too funny about the car, I wanted to say something like sounded very Irish......not to offend anyone, my dad was Irish......haha bless them they probably did not know what was going on...how often would they have to deal with that, probably never before. Well thank goodness it is all done, only taken what 2 months or not quite....

Rodney GARAGE thats all I am saying.......
ED that is so nice then that you got to be friends with the lady, how is Hubby doing any showings of the house?

Take care everyone .......
I wonder how Anna and Grandma are doing.
Lazy good news that you are doing okay, did other half come back to Fl yet?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Charley... Im doing fine, Thanks for asking...

DDL, Ive read your posts, Wow you sound well, Im so happy for you that things are moving right along, OM2 Awesome, Wife and I would have enjoyed John Cleese, Big Fans.

dgjamison, Happy you got your imported car approved, Good For You. Vrooommmmm
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Morning everyone.......DDL thanks for the box info, that is what i was looking for. If er no let me say When I move back I wont have a lot of stuff so 10 boxes would be about right......I am prepared to leave all my furniture etc just want my personal stuff, I am taking an extra suitcase on my trip which by the way is 5 weeks from now i will be home.

Denise1 too funny about the car, I wanted to say something like sounded very Irish......not to offend anyone, my dad was Irish......haha bless them they probably did not know what was going on...how often would they have to deal with that, probably never before. Well thank goodness it is all done, only taken what 2 months or not quite....

Rodney GARAGE thats all I am saying.......
ED that is so nice then that you got to be friends with the lady, how is Hubby doing any showings of the house?

Take care everyone .......
I wonder how Anna and Grandma are doing.
Lazy good news that you are doing okay, did other half come back to Fl yet?
Hi Charleygirl, no offence said ourselves so very very Irish we always laugh at ourselves, thank goodness, it won't be long now until its your time, will be thinking of you, and wishing you well, have the kids or your oh said any more about your visit? I think it will be good for you to be with your mum for a while and just relax and take your time deciding whats best for you, I really hope it all works out, and you know the world is getting smaller and you might just get a surprise if you do move home, your kids just might come over and love it and try it as well One day at a time really good luck , now things are gradually coming together for us I am feeling so much more content and happy, we have decided to rent something for 6 months to see if we can settle here, and if not we will seriously look at france or spain, it has the weather and close to home to fly or drive/ferry, and as we are retired we can travel off peak when it is cheaper but we are hoping to settle here maybe just need to toughen up and learn to play in the wind and rain like everyone else here By the way we have girls coming over to compete in the Rose of Tralee from San Fransico, Chicago, New York, Miami, Washington (I think) and the Carolinas, as well as Sydney and Melbourne Australia Toronto, Vancouver, Leeds, London, and a lot of other parts of the UK its like a mini Miss World, is'nt that fantastic, the last time I was there they had the Morris Dancers over, it was fantastic, and the crowds of people I just could'nt believe how interntional it was Fantastic wish I could be there, you'll all have to come when you get home in the next few years and have a guinness or a Jamieson whiskey
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Charley... Im doing fine, Thanks for asking...

DDL, Ive read your posts, Wow you sound well, Im so happy for you that things are moving right along, OM2 Awesome, Wife and I would have enjoyed John Cleese, Big Fans.

dgjamison, Happy you got your imported car approved, Good For You. Vrooommmmm
Thanks fish it seems to be taking for ever, but at last seeing light at the end of the tunnel, then will concentrate on a home I am feeling so contented now, I can't relate to the person I was in Canada, I now realise I was so unhappy but afraid to admit it and the thought of sending our stuff back just 10 months after sending it out there was soul destroying, yes we are broke now but I am rich within myself and thank god my mental state is so much healthier, I still get shocked when I think of the person I became it is scary. It's just the feeling of belonging and as everyone else says the friendliness of people, even when I was waiting for my car yesterday, another lady came and sat beside me, we got talking, she had lived in Sweden for 3 years and she said it was such a culture shock, lovely country, but the people a bit stiff and certainly no conversation like we were having, and I thought it is exactly like that in Canada as well, I think Ireland and the Uk are unique in their natural happy state, i wonder is it because we are small islands and used to looking after each other, I know its changing and not always for the better, but there are still good honest people
who will go out of their way to help, so much more than what I experienced in Canada, where I once thought the customer service was next to none, when I went back the lack of service was unbelievable, sorry to go on but we have had so many people help us with the car, and giving us good advise but are not looking for payment I was amazed, everything cost in Canada, nothing was for free not even advise or a letter from the bank Again sorry for the rant but am just really realizing what I had missed and did'nt know it Denise
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Denise so happy to read this, I was worried about you for a little while there.
keep strong girl!

I got my pension forecast today, I have 27 years of contributions and only need 3 more years for a full pension of $97 a week.
I can purchase the contributions to make it up I think it was 124 pounds for one year, 109 pounds for another and not sure of the last, the letter went to my Mum in the UK. I will be old enough to retire at 61 years and 8 months.
So I am pleased with that.
I would like to work when i get home anyway, I will be 59 this year.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Thanks fish it seems to be taking for ever, but at last seeing light at the end of the tunnel, then will concentrate on a home I am feeling so contented now, I can't relate to the person I was in Canada, I now realise I was so unhappy but afraid to admit it and the thought of sending our stuff back just 10 months after sending it out there was soul destroying, yes we are broke now but I am rich within myself and thank god my mental state is so much healthier, I still get shocked when I think of the person I became it is scary. It's just the feeling of belonging and as everyone else says the friendliness of people, even when I was waiting for my car yesterday, another lady came and sat beside me, we got talking, she had lived in Sweden for 3 years and she said it was such a culture shock, lovely country, but the people a bit stiff and certainly no conversation like we were having, and I thought it is exactly like that in Canada as well, I think Ireland and the Uk are unique in their natural happy state, i wonder is it because we are small islands and used to looking after each other, I know its changing and not always for the better, but there are still good honest people
who will go out of their way to help, so much more than what I experienced in Canada, where I once thought the customer service was next to none, when I went back the lack of service was unbelievable, sorry to go on but we have had so many people help us with the car, and giving us good advise but are not looking for payment I was amazed, everything cost in Canada, nothing was for free not even advise or a letter from the bank Again sorry for the rant but am just really realizing what I had missed and did'nt know it Denise

Denise, That's truly amazing how you have found yourself and are happy and content again, Isn't it wonderful, I can really understand that, Being broke is a bummer but having purpose in life and happiness is priceless, I wonder if you would have gone back to Canada if you thought it would have cost such a lot financially, I just don't think you could see it as a possibility.

The Brit's and The Irish are Great people, No doubt about that, I'm British but have some Irish in me too, The Irish are some of the funniest people on earth, after living here for 15 years I was surprised to find out that some Americans of Irish decent thought the British and Irish hated each other, It blew me away, that's the power of the news media here, and lack of real understanding from this side of the pond.

If you are so content why are you considering France or Spain?
If you were to ask me, (and I know you aren't asking me), Id tell you to start enjoying the rain and stay put, why go to France or Spain just for the weather, I think the daily hassles of living in a Non English speaking country would far outweigh the weathers ups and downs, but that's me, don't get me wrong, the weather is a constant thorn in my side, it messes with my ability to earn a wage so I don't take this subject lightly, Id also be scared you would be repeating your Canadian experience, I realize you have to do what you've got to do, and we all have different wants and needs in that regard.
I wish you well...
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:02 am
Just Joined

lazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Charleygirl. No he hasn't returned to Florida yet. I am waiting as patiently as I can, wondering and hoping if I will be able to move into my apartment today. The solicitor is keeping me hanging waiting for the final bit of information from the council that was promised last night. Still haven't heard anything today but have paid my funds into the soliciors account yesterday ready for completion.
Have you ever wondered why solicitors won't make a phone call other than ones absolutely necessary or why they always send letters out that are received on Saturdays? Fingers crossed I will be able to move in today. It has been years since I last had a place to call my own.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
in Canada, where I once thought the customer service was next to none, when I went back the lack of service was unbelievable, Denise
Interesting that.
When I was in Banff, CN last year and we were at the checkout at a grocery supermarket the woman was rude, so from this you make me think this was not an exception. If I was treated that way locally in the US that person would be replaced.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Question Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
We sent 10 boxes from the US to the UK. We bought the boxes at Wal-Mart (18x18x19) and sent them via US mail. The average price - roughly - was around $150/box. We sent back clothing, shoes, coats, handbags, etc. and 3-4 of those boxes were filled with decorative items, Christmas ornaments, and all the other general misc. items we wanted to bring. Most of the boxes only took a little over a week to get here and there was no damage whatsoever.

We also sent over one smallish box of books, and these were sent via US mail as well, utilizing the M-Bag, which you can read about on the USPS website: http://www.usps.com/

Hope this helps!
I read your post and you got me curious about it. You could have gone back on QM2 Cunard with the unlimited baggage allowance? Lets see if those boxes cost you more than $1500 for the 11 boxes (10+1), plus the one way air fare, but the boat fare would have only been $899. The only thing is they say all your luggage has to fit in your stateroom, unlike before when it went down in the hold, but then again I think the stateroom/cabin are a lot bigger than when I came over in 1955 so maybe it could be done. I also wondered if the liners carry cars like they use to. Maybe a savings there. I think this could be a good tip for anyone going back to the UK permanently. Consider going back by ship to save money. The best fare is $899 and could be a lot lower. Ad to this as someone mentioned the border officials are lot more accommodating at Southampton than Heathrow. Maybe this could be a way for the future, go by ship like in the old days. I know being in a plane for 7 hours gets to me sometimes together with the bad service and charges for baggage. It use to be the other way around.
Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

American.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really niceAmerican.Irish is just really nice

Just jumping in here. Not British by birth but lived in Leeds over 20 years with Brit husband. Had to return to US to care for aging parents (now passed on) but then discovered I no longer had Indefinite Leave to Remain. Appalled at the hassle and cost of re-establishing. Got Irish citizenship through grandparents (born in Co. Tyrone). So about to retire (in 18 months possibly) and hope to move back based on Irish passport. Want to be settled somewhere before it's too late!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.