Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
I read your post and you got me curious about it. You could have gone back on QM2 Cunard with the unlimited baggage allowance? Lets see if those boxes cost you more than $1500 for the 11 boxes (10+1), plus the one way air fare, but the boat fare would have only been $899. The only thing is they say all your luggage has to fit in your stateroom, unlike before when it went down in the hold, but then again I think the stateroom/cabin are a lot bigger than when I came over in 1955 so maybe it could be done. I also wondered if the liners carry cars like they use to. Maybe a savings there. I think this could be a good tip for anyone going back to the UK permanently. Consider going back by ship to save money. The best fare is $899 and could be a lot lower. Ad to this as someone mentioned the border officials are lot more accommodating at Southampton than Heathrow. Maybe this could be a way for the future, go by ship like in the old days. I know being in a plane for 7 hours gets to me sometimes together with the bad service and charges for baggage. It use to be the other way around.
Cheers
Good points noted cheers, the only downside too much luggage on QM is having to cart it all off at the other end and put it in your Morris Minor
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Denise, That's truly amazing how you have found yourself and are happy and content again, Isn't it wonderful, I can really understand that, Being broke is a bummer but having purpose in life and happiness is priceless, I wonder if you would have gone back to Canada if you thought it would have cost such a lot financially, I just don't think you could see it as a possibility.

The Brit's and The Irish are Great people, No doubt about that, I'm British but have some Irish in me too, The Irish are some of the funniest people on earth, after living here for 15 years I was surprised to find out that some Americans of Irish decent thought the British and Irish hated each other, It blew me away, that's the power of the news media here, and lack of real understanding from this side of the pond.

If you are so content why are you considering France or Spain?
If you were to ask me, (and I know you aren't asking me), Id tell you to start enjoying the rain and stay put, why go to France or Spain just for the weather, I think the daily hassles of living in a Non English speaking country would far outweigh the weathers ups and downs, but that's me, don't get me wrong, the weather is a constant thorn in my side, it messes with my ability to earn a wage so I don't take this subject lightly, Id also be scared you would be repeating your Canadian experience, I realize you have to do what you've got to do, and we all have different wants and needs in that regard.
I wish you well...
Good post Fish,
Denise on the Spain or France thing, my Sister and her Husband moved from England to Spain a few years ago, it was my Brother in laws choice, my Sister wanted to stay in England, but anyway they sold there house in Portsmouth (which they owned outright) and bought a house in Spain, not quite sure where, they bought the house in Spain (outright) shipped all there furniture over to there new house,
Well it didn't work out at all, they lived in a place in Spain where the local people didn't speak much English and there were very few UK people living in that area,they never made any friends, My Sister was very unhappy, and My brother in laws health was getting quite bad,
after around two years they returned to England and had to rent a house there while there house in Spain was trying to be sold, (it took about another two years to sell there house in Spain, then with the proceeds of that bought a house in Plymouth where my Sister now lives with her Son in his 40,s
The point I think I am making Denise is if you do choose to leave UK for Spain or France I think it would be best to rent for a few years until you know for sure that is the place you want to settle in,
My brother in law got cancer and died shortly after returning to England, I think he was about 66,
The whole thing in Spain was an absolute nightmare for them, then after leaving there Spain House they had to ship all there furniture back to England again, a three bedroom house load of all the furniture they loved,
Anyway Denise whatever you eventually decide to do I hope you will be very happy, cause thats all any of us wants to be in the end ----- just HAPPY,
Rodney.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
My comment was confusing I admit.
I was trying to say the DMV in Nevada takes a lot of patience because of how long it takes. Wait, wait, wait.
Yes I agree Cheers the DMV here is pretty darn slow, but when I had to renew my drivers licence just a couple of months ago I was surprised that it had got a bit faster, the place was literally packed with people, it took about three hours or so from start to finish, this time I had to go in to the DMV physically cause they needed me to take an eye test which I passed waring my glasses,
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Morning everyone.......DDL thanks for the box info, that is what i was looking for. If er no let me say When I move back I wont have a lot of stuff so 10 boxes would be about right......I am prepared to leave all my furniture etc just want my personal stuff, I am taking an extra suitcase on my trip which by the way is 5 weeks from now i will be home.

Denise1 too funny about the car, I wanted to say something like sounded very Irish......not to offend anyone, my dad was Irish......haha bless them they probably did not know what was going on...how often would they have to deal with that, probably never before. Well thank goodness it is all done, only taken what 2 months or not quite....

Rodney GARAGE thats all I am saying.......
ED that is so nice then that you got to be friends with the lady, how is Hubby doing any showings of the house?

Take care everyone .......
I wonder how Anna and Grandma are doing.
Lazy good news that you are doing okay, did other half come back to Fl yet?
Charleygirl,
OK I am going to tackle the Garage next Monday in a few days from now, thanks for the nagging from you and others --- that is just what I need, I really mean it !!!
Will let you know how it goes,
Rodney.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Wawa
Good points noted cheers, the only downside too much luggage on QM is having to cart it all off at the other end and put it in your Morris Minor
I would use the Black cab or the 'One man and a White Van"
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fish and Rodney, thanks so much for your best wishes, and you are both right, as my husband and I talked more and still looking round we have decided we will definately stay home and go to France ans Spain on Holidays I never appreciated how genuinely friendly and helpful the people are still here, so it was worth the loss of my savings if it takes the wunderlust (spl) out of my system and I settle for good, how I envy contented people who are just happy with their lot. Just another little update on the car, I told you the whole palavour with the test centre, but we got our certificate saying it had passed, WELL: got a phone call yesterday from the manager to tell me in fact it had'nt passed, hand break was'nt working, so I would have to bring the cert back, and go through the test again I was in a state of disbelief I just went along with everything, brought the cert back, the guy was lovely and so apologetic, and he is going to try and get both the iva and mot done on the same day at no extra charge never heard of anyone having this trouble, but you know I said to my husband if this had happened in Canada I would have been so stressed out, here I just laughed about it. Also for anyone thinking of bring their car home, make sure you have lived out of the country for 12 months (or you will have to pay duty and tax) also make sure you bring proof you've live out of the country ie utility bill bank details, I had shredded mine and only kept the last few months so it was a nightmare, when I emiled my bank in Canada to see if they would email me a letter to state the date I opened my account, they were VERY nice telling me of course, just a little charge of $15 I told them their charges were stupid and to forget it, to get the machanical hand book for our car (which no longer comes with the casr when you buy it $195) the man at our MOT centre told me no way was he going to let us pay that, and he sorted out the answers we needed for the IVA test, no charge, my bank is sending me out copies of statements as we need new uk driving licences no charge the Chevrolet dealership gave us a letter for customs valuing our car, no charge, I just could not believe it, I am so delighted at the genuiness that I took for granted, so you all have this to look forward to, I have to say I found the Canadian government offices better organised than ours, but everything can't be perfect Yes Fish we lived in England in the 80's , and loved it and met some beautiful people, we loved the english countryside and most of all pubs!!!! the villages, and humour, we were there through some of the worst of the troubles and never found anything only friendliness, as a matter of fact we had an old war veteran as one of our regular customers Albert, had his own tankard kept at the pub, we used to talk all the time, and he told me stories of the war, I loved him, and I still think about him, I know he must of passed now, but their experiences what they lived through sometimes I think our youngones should be sent to a boot camp to live as they had too, and they were such gentlemen compared to today I have only respect for that whole generation, sorry again for the long posts, I love talking to you all Denise
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, well I just recieved my drivers licence through the post today, now, I have checked the codes on it and I am a little confused. I understood that I would only be alloed to use an automatic car until I passed a test of some sort. On my licence the codes are as follows, B, BE, B1, then under that are the letters fkp, I have checked the informational pamphlet that came with it and I am sure I must be overlooking something as according to that information there is no restriction, can someone please explain.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well looking at the License sight codes it says 106 means limited to automatic only, do you see that anywhere.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ns/DG_10022623

Actually though if you look at this though I think it depends on when you got your UK Licence.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ions/DG_180694

Last edited by charleygirl; Aug 21st 2010 at 11:32 am.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

RODNEY GARAGE........ its the weekend!!!!!!
Denise, laughed about your post, so they said it had passed only to get a call to say it hadnt, now was the car still with them then or had you left with it.........oh gosh too funny but as you say you can laugh about it now.

Fish good to hear you are hanging in here.
Trotty where are you.........
I hope all everyone is fine would love to hear if JJ are more settled.
Have a great weekend, declutterers get de cluttering......
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well I just recieved my drivers licence through the post today, now, I have checked the codes on it and I am a little confused. I understood that I would only be alloed to use an automatic car until I passed a test of some sort. On my licence the codes are as follows, B, BE, B1, then under that are the letters fkp, I have checked the informational pamphlet that came with it and I am sure I must be overlooking something as according to that information there is no restriction, can someone please explain.
Hi Peigi look for code 78 in col. 12 on back to the right of B...

cheers.....Taffy
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-ukfulldrivinglicence.png  
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Well looking at the License sight codes it says 106 means limited to automatic only, do you see that anywhere.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ns/DG_10022623

Actually though if you look at this though I think it depends on when you got your UK Licence.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ions/DG_180694
Nothing with that code on it and I just got my UK licence as was only a kid when I left in 1965.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hi Peigi look for code 78 in col. 12 on back to the right of B...

cheers.....Taffy
It does say in Column 12 78.90CDN, so does that mean not able to drive manual?
Cheers, Peigi
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
It does say in Column 12 78.90CDN, so does that mean not able to drive manual?
Cheers, Peigi
Hi Peigi

yes that means automatic only...sorry

Cheers....Taffy
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hi Peigi

yes that means automatic only...sorry

Cheers....Taffy
Oh well, thats enough excitment for one day, never mind at least I have my licence.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your license ED
Rodney are you in the garage yet? It's early and still cool outside, get out of bed and sort boxes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.