Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

rodney I dont really know you as I have not been around so long, but I can feel you are unhappy and wondering, you know something, you may go home and not feel right for a while, but you will be in a place you do belong. You can walk in the rain to the fish and chip shop, she can get a bus to town.... you can go grab a galaxy choc bar when ever you want. And most of all you will be with your mum, do you have other family there. I gather Portsmouth is a nice area.... well you know has its nice areas.
You are probably down because of the friendship that just ended, that is so sad.
Be strong Rodney!
ED oh sorry about your financial situtation, I know all about the what if's too, lived with them for 13 years.....I missed a golden opportunity 12 years ago when i was home visiting with just my 3 children, our home was empty as the renters had moved out, I sat in my dining room with my friend and said this is where I want to be, god only knows why i got back on the plane and came back here, within 3 years my husband had manipulated me into signing to sell our home....... what if.......
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Rodney,

I think the same thing about going home. Will I fit in again? But, I wonder if I ever did, seeing I had the wanderlust in me. I am a very private person that keeps a lot to herself and was never the typical Brit anyway. But, I do have some very close friends back home that I see everytime I am home. Cannot wait to 'fit' back in whatever that means. I think it just means feeling comfortable with where you are and the people you are with. Seeing I am quite a loner sometimes it doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I want to be there, so things will work out as they are supposed to. What's that saying - 'What's meant for you will not pass you by.' I have fretted for 2 years about moving home and how things will be, but I know that is where I am supposed to be, no matter who is negative about it (I have a family member that can make me feel really bad about myself and my decisions in 1 second flat...............got to ignore these comments, I need to remind myself).

As far as British friends here in the US, I have had them, but they all seem to go back home at one point or another. Most of my friends are Americans, but that being said most of them think I am crazy for wanting to go back to Scotland. A few think I should do what I want to do, but they will miss me. I wonder how many of them will keep in touch...that remains to be seen. If they are true friends, 4,000 miles should not make any difference. My best friend lives in New York (she is from Scotland), and we have been friends for over 25 years.......so it can be done if it is meant to be.

Rodney, I know that you are questioning things right now, with good reason. But, I wholeheartedly think that you will have a lovely time when you move home. Just ignore the negative people and enjoy your life, that is what I am choosing to do.
Seeing I am quite a loner sometimes it doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I want to be there, so things will work out as they are supposed to. What's that saying - 'What's meant for you will not pass you by.' That's exactly who I am and how I feel too!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Seeing I am quite a loner sometimes it doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I want to be there, so things will work out as they are supposed to. What's that saying - 'What's meant for you will not pass you by.' That's exactly who I am and how I feel too!
Good to know I'm not the only one

I really enjoy my own company, but I do enjoy the company of friends too. I'm quite happy that way. It's funny, because other people seem to be more bothered by the fact that I enjoy my own company and don't need others at times than I am - which I find weird If you can't enjoy your own company then what's the point
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
Thirded! 'Things' always work out...and if they don't always work out how we expect, we take what we've learned from our experience, open the next door of opportunity, and move foreward to our next great adventure.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppycat
Thirded! 'Things' always work out...and if they don't always work out how we expect, we take what we've learned from our experience, open the next door of opportunity, and move foreward to our next great adventure.
Well said
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:59 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I just came across this post on another forum and thought it was so appropriate to all of us here in this particular thread:

We are pilgrims on a journey, and companions on the road;
we are here to help each other walk the mile & bear the load.

--Richard Gillard

It's 11am and I am posting this from work.
Happy Monday, everyone!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
I just came across this post on another forum and thought it was so appropriate to all of us here in this particular thread:

We are pilgrims on a journey, and companions on the road;
we are here to help each other walk the mile & bear the load.

--Richard Gillard

It's 11am and I am posting this from work.
Happy Monday, everyone!
Lovely quote

Happy Monday
Old Jun 28th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Rod...

If I were you I would try to make up with your friend, you said it was something silly and so he may think so too, we all need friends and it seems a shame to let one go over something so small, lets face it who else can you give that big Telly to?

Once back in the UK it may take a while to fit in, find yourself a good local pub and you will have friends almost instantly, just being in on English ground makes me feel so good, knowing I'm where I belong.

Some of my in law's have been here for two weeks, as soon as they left we felt lonely, I understand that issue well too.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoy my own company, but I do enjoy the company of friends too. I'm quite happy that way. It's funny, because other people seem to be more bothered by the fact that I enjoy my own company and don't need others at times than I am - which I find weird If you can't enjoy your own company then what's the point
I guess in some ways I am a bit of a loner, never joined clubs or societies, and although I do enjoy a nightout with friends I enjoy being at home with a good book, or movie , a bowl of popcorn and a glass of ice cold beer. Even when my husband and I are together he can be in one room and I in another and we are enjoying whatever we are into a that time.

As my husband says I am just missing some one to nag, but then he also says I am the only woman he know that can nag from 5000 klm away
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Rod...

If I were you I would try to make up with your friend, you said it was something silly and so he may think so too, we all need friends and it seems a shame to let one go over something so small, lets face it who else can you give that big Telly to?

Once back in the UK it may take a while to fit in, find yourself a good local pub and you will have friends almost instantly, just being in on English ground makes me feel so good, knowing I'm where I belong.

Some of my in law's have been here for two weeks, as soon as they left we felt lonely, I understand that issue well too.
Hello Fish,
Thanks for the advice about my friend, but you see he suffers from post traumatic stress disorder, He was just leaving Vegas to go home to his parents for six weeks who live in New York city, they are both in there 90's and both have Alzhiemers,
Anyway we had aranged for me to live at his house for the 6 weeks and look after the house while he was away, well it was the evening before his flight the next day, we were out back in his garden and he was showing me how to water all the plants with the hose every night, and how to turn on and off the juccuzi every night to keep the water clean I think, well he suffers on an every day basis with high levals of stress but you see he hates flying and this was the night before his flight so of course his stress leval at that time was out of control,

While we were out in the garden and he was showing me how to do everything he came over as though he was ordering me around like he was not just asking me he was telling me, I took offense and I just said look I'm out of here, I will see you in the morning and I will be around as planned to take you to the airport, he then just said forget it --- get out of my house, and dont ever come around here again, he just went crazy so I just got into my car and drove away,

I cant see us being friends anymore, but he (was) a good friend though for the last 9 years, oh well thats life I suppose,

And Fish about when I go home that advice on find a nice local pub and I will meet friends easily, thats what I plan to do maybe I thought a night out once a week on my own, that will give Mum some space away from me once a week, I think we all need that,

But I have always been a loner, and I supose that has been why I have always found it hard to make friends, I enjoy my own company but I still need friends,
you know what worrys me when I go back home and when I try to meet people, I'm thinking that my accent alone will be enough to scare people off, how can I fit in with a weird accent like mine, its a bit of Oz/Canadian/American/and English all in one, I dont have an American accent but I also dont have an English one either,
At the moment I am trying to pronounce my words like we do in UK you know a little bit of practice maybe buy the time I get back I will talk just like a Pompey local,

Take care Fish,
Rodney.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Fish,
Thanks for the advice about my friend, but you see he suffers from post traumatic stress disorder, He was just leaving Vegas to go home to his parents for six weeks who live in New York city, they are both in there 90's and both have Alzhiemers,
Anyway we had aranged for me to live at his house for the 6 weeks and look after the house while he was away, well it was the evening before his flight the next day, we were out back in his garden and he was showing me how to water all the plants with the hose every night, and how to turn on and off the juccuzi every night to keep the water clean I think, well he suffers on an every day basis with high levals of stress but you see he hates flying and this was the night before his flight so of course his stress leval at that time was out of control,

While we were out in the garden and he was showing me how to do everything he came over as though he was ordering me around like he was not just asking me he was telling me, I took offense and I just said look I'm out of here, I will see you in the morning and I will be around as planned to take you to the airport, he then just said forget it --- get out of my house, and dont ever come around here again, he just went crazy so I just got into my car and drove away,

I cant see us being friends anymore, but he (was) a good friend though for the last 9 years, oh well thats life I suppose,

And Fish about when I go home that advice on find a nice local pub and I will meet friends easily, thats what I plan to do maybe I thought a night out once a week on my own, that will give Mum some space away from me once a week, I think we all need that,

But I have always been a loner, and I supose that has been why I have always found it hard to make friends, I enjoy my own company but I still need friends,
you know what worrys me when I go back home and when I try to meet people, I'm thinking that my accent alone will be enough to scare people off, how can I fit in with a weird accent like mine, its a bit of Oz/Canadian/American/and English all in one, I dont have an American accent but I also dont have an English one either,
At the moment I am trying to pronounce my words like we do in UK you know a little bit of practice maybe buy the time I get back I will talk just like a Pompey local,

Take care Fish,
Rodney.
How sad for you Rodney, perhaps he is more upset about you leaving him than has told you and this was his way of dealing with it. I wouldn't give up on the friendship yet, perhaps see him when he returns, at least once, if it goes well then that will be good and if it does not then you will not spend time wondering what if's.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney you are going to be fine, they will love your accent, do you know how many people are going to say Oh where are you from, then you will have such a great story to tell.
My UK friend that I chat to on AIM everyday keeps reminding me of English spellings. i.e Cheque and Tyres or is it Tires for us.... oh dear.......
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestagirl
rodney I dont really know you as I have not been around so long, but I can feel you are unhappy and wondering, you know something, you may go home and not feel right for a while, but you will be in a place you do belong. You can walk in the rain to the fish and chip shop, she can get a bus to town.... you can go grab a galaxy choc bar when ever you want. And most of all you will be with your mum, do you have other family there. I gather Portsmouth is a nice area.... well you know has its nice areas.
You are probably down because of the friendship that just ended, that is so sad.
Be strong Rodney!
ED oh sorry about your financial situtation, I know all about the what if's too, lived with them for 13 years.....I missed a golden opportunity 12 years ago when i was home visiting with just my 3 children, our home was empty as the renters had moved out, I sat in my dining room with my friend and said this is where I want to be, god only knows why i got back on the plane and came back here, within 3 years my husband had manipulated me into signing to sell our home....... what if.......
Hello Lestagirl,
Oh yes I am really looking forward to my walk up the top of my road to the fish & chip shop every Saturday ---- rain or dry I will be there at the shop getting me & Mums dinner,

I do have other Family in Portsmouth, my Nephew and his live together girl friend --- 10 years now together about time they got married Lol

Also one Aunt one year older then my Mum, (Sisters)
And one Uncle,

My Sister lives in Plymouth with my other Nephew, she moved away from Portsmouth a few years ago and sold her house there and bought one in Plymouth,

Also I have my Son, he lives in Portsmouth too who is 36 in August, I never took any part in raising him, his Mum and I broke up when he was just 6 months old and I moved over here, ---- but thankfully we do have a good relationship, and My Stepdaughter and I have a really great relationship so I will be seeing lots of her & family,

My Cousin Pam has been living in Italy just outside of Rome for the last 45 years, It would be real nice to visit her one day --- if I ever get an invite
Rodney.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Again, I agree entirely, also with you, Poppcat. We all need a balance between being on our own and being with others. I would say my balance is somewhere near 75 alone/25% with others. Each one of us is different. However, I find that never getting bored on my own has definitely helped me in life, especially now, moving to a country where I knew no one and nothing. And not really caring too much (only 25%) whether I make lots of social friends or not. In the USA I had a cat, Hopie, (excellent company), but I am finding I am really too busy here to even miss her. I just came back from my first day of TEFL (learning how to teach English as a foreign language). There are 12 of us in the group, I think I am the oldest by far!! Most are still students at school or college! I think it will be great fun though, except for the teaching practice (tests!) at the end Just less than 4 weeks away and I am already nervous!!! But I am certain whatever happens is supposed to, so why worry about it? The classes are late afternoon and in the mornings I am doing marketing work at the hotel (by the way, both places are literally just around the corner from me to walk). The job is proving to be so much fun. At the moment I am researching 3UA groups in the UK. There is a ton of stuff for us all back there when we retire! Next week I begin my training for volunteer work at the hospital, and after that training for volunteer work for helping Maltese speak better English. That will be four different hats to wear!!! But life is full of adventure, diversity, and having fun - after so many years of worry and stress, I am making the most of it! Whatever Malta has to offer me, bring it on!!! (With a little money at the same time would be nice please ).
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I guess in some ways I am a bit of a loner, never joined clubs or societies, and although I do enjoy a nightout with friends I enjoy being at home with a good book, or movie , a bowl of popcorn and a glass of ice cold beer. Even when my husband and I are together he can be in one room and I in another and we are enjoying whatever we are into a that time.

As my husband says I am just missing some one to nag, but then he also says I am the only woman he know that can nag from 5000 klm away

That's funny, ED, and just goes to show how much you love each other. He recognizes you might nag, but can make a joke of it!! I too need my space, and, having been married and divorced twice now, think my perfect relationship would be where my partner lives down the street from me! That way I don't have to come home to find he has made more of a mess, or put his stuff away and tidy up around him!!! We could share places and go to our own place if and when we wanted!!! Though I do like to have someone to fall asleep with and wake up with, I really don't need him during the night keeping me awake with his snoring

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.