Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

PS. Barb, that might be the trick though. If you can think of yourself as 'we' in your new country, instead of 'I' and 'they', it does become much easier to settle in and get a sense of belonging. If mentally though, you are always seeing yourself as an outsider, looking at this new life you are in through a window, then others will continually see you that way too and it gets harder and harder to 'feel' you are 'home', wherever that might be.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:38 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Hello All,
this is J.J reporting from Norfolk England.

Safe and sound and on the ground.

First impressions: green and lush countryside, horrific traffic with many reckless speeders, grimy city centers, clean McDonalds & BurgerKing with WiFi, disgustingly filthy rental we had lined up - I cried and DH nearly threw up, friendly neighbors, in town the drivers leaving parking lot hand over their unexpired ticket to cars just arriving.

We have some excitement at being back and feel it will turn out OK once we acclimate. And so the struggle to re-start our lives begins.

Should have:
1. brought more warm / waterproof clothes, it's rainy anorack weather, esp coming from 100 deg F in NC USA , the good side is there is low humidity here (ignoring the rain)
2. Bought an electronic luggage scale - our clockwork spring model broke during the final pack before driving to airport.
3. Lowered our expectations of what we would experience over here.

The process of moving over was successful.
We flew Virgin from Dulles, our nearest pet export gateway. I would not seek out Virgin for future flights, probably even avoid them. Expensively designer dressed attendants (English nationality) at check in immediately zoomed in on my 'within size roll-aboard' , weighed it, declared it 2 lbs over weight and playing to the crowd turned us out of line so as not to hold up real customers. We had to rejoin at the back after tossing some stuff
They also gave disapproving looks at our 3 check-in bags (paid for 1 extra) which we had expertly packed to within 2 lbs (one was 0.5 lbs less) less than Max.
People at Dulles on other airlines had larger carry-ons so it is Virgin rules.
Virgin plane had good selection self-select movies on seat back mounted screen, meals were mediocre, attendants drug out the ritual of pouring a free wine for every one that wanted, and got so slow that those at the back had finished meal before the drink cart arrived. Attendants were extremely tardy at coming round to collect trays after meal.. The overhead lights were late being turned off and early on at end, I felt more for convenience of attendants than for passengers.

Pet travel.
We had been worried, Charlie Cat had never been confined before.
On the 5 hr drive to airport he had settled in crate after intial complaints at being confined. Was a bit wild in hotel room at start but soon settled for a nights sleep, and next day on way to airport he settled quickly into crate.

Virgin Cargo check-in turned out to be multiple airline. When we arrived there was hearse unloading a adult coffin into cargo check-in. Pet check in was not the quiet hand over we had anticipated or been led to expect, but a extremely busy general shipping office. The paperwork took 45 mins to get through, but the friendly clerk knew her business and was efficient as multiple copying allowed. Charlie's traveling companion was one other cat. Don't know if it was deliberate to carry only cats that day, advise future travellers to ask when booking.
At Heathrow the pet transport vehicle did arrive as soon as plane stopped at gate.
After going through arrival we called Virgin Pet Rep who confirmed Charlie had arrived safely and was with Defra. We waited in the terminal until we got the call to go pick up (we then picked up our rental car and drove to Center.) The Defra center had a decent waiting room with couches, the Virgin Rep was there, greeted us, gave us an update and shortly we had all the paperwork in hand and then Charlie too, a bit spooked cos he's not used to being around many people, but otherwise OK. The staff seemed caring and we felt good about the way they handled Charlie and the process.
Paperwork was fine, we had followed Defra rules to the letter, and although we were stressed of the consequences of doing it wrong it all turned out OK.
Charlie is now in local Cattery until we get our accomadations worked out - again, he was initial nervous at this new experience, we checked on him a day later and her was more relaxed and settled.

OK , gotta go, more later when I get to the next McD's for free WiFi.connection

Board is too difficult to follow , if any specific questions please just IM me.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful news you arrived safely, so glad the cat arrived safely, was it the rental car that was filthy?
I hope everything works out well and when you get some sunshine all will be well!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Lestagirl

Wonderful news you arrived safely, so glad the cat arrived safely, was it the rental car that was filthy? I hope everything works out well and when you get some sunshine all will be well!
Wow....I would have returned to the rental desk and demanded another car! It wasn't Enterprise was it? I know that their rates are often pretty good, but I've seen them turn cars around quickly at some of their (franchised) locations without being cleaned inside properly.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful news you arrived safely, so glad the cat arrived safely, was it the rental car that was filthy?
I hope everything works out well and when you get some sunshine all will be well!
Originally Posted by Englishmum
Wow....I would have returned to the rental desk and demanded another car! It wasn't Enterprise was it? I know that their rates are often pretty good, but I've seen them turn cars around quickly at some of their (franchised) locations without being cleaned inside properly.
I'm sure JJ will be back soon to confirm - I could be wrong, but I read it that it was their rental accommodation that was filthy...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Chris (pcmaccallum)

Just glad you are home and safe, Enjoy your new Old/Life Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see J and J are back home and sorry about the rental property.

Good one Anna, I think I will digest your advice and see if I can't make some kind of "mantra" for myself.........
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good luck to Totty on her garage sale today I hope she does well, we just got back from one, Dd made out like a bandit, two packs of brand new crayons and a stack of books all for $1
Good luck Trotty, hope you made lots of money, and got rid of everything
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
HighSpeedGrandma... I got tired reading your post. I would have met myself coming backwords. But you seem to have done fine.

Lestergirl..Really did enjoy our meeting hope you are feeling better. Imagine us living so close to one another.

By the way Lestergirl is quite a looker, blonde with lovely eyes tall and slender. She will have no trouble when she gets home finding company. Thats if she wants it.

Babycham and an awful drink cherry B with cider. Wonder it didnt take the lining of my stomach. Pims and one of my favourites was snowball with vodka.Now I am reduced to a glass of white wine.
Aw totty what nice thing to say, well i almost fell of the chair when you said how old you were too, I would have said way younger not line on your face, lucky.
Good luck and if sally army wont pick up your stuff i will get my son to take it for you. Calling you tomorrow.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Me too I usually only ever go back for a week at a time but when I was there for 4 weeks two years ago it was just as I always remembered it..... few more polish people in the city but everything was as always was.

Us ladies in their 50s 60s what did you used todrink as a teenager,I thought I was it cos I drank babycham or cherry b...... remember those.
Bass for the boys.....
I tried to be sophisicated and impress my boyfriend so ordered a Vodka and OrangeI had seen this ordered on TV, I knew nothing else, well was I sick, and to this day I could never look at vodka and orange. It was the thick orange cordial they used to put into your drinks in those days ugh!!! after that it was snowballs, I think it was advocat and lemonade, again ugh, it probably tasted like custard it was so sweet
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

haha Oh yes well I thought Gin and tonic was rather posh so progressed from charry b to that, same here though, i thought I was hit in the head next day.
Oh those were the days!
Yes that orange cordial was like syrup.....
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:14 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

J. and J. - Great to hear from you two, but sorry about the snags. Hope things will even out sooner rather than later.

Must be great, though, just to be home. All that hard work on this side of the pond is now behind you!

Looking forward to the next installment of "Joan and John's Excellent Adventure" !!!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

haha Oh yes well I thought Gin and tonic was rather posh so progressed from charry b to that, same here though, i thought I was hit in the head next day.
Oh those were the days!
Yes that orange cordial was like syrup.....
even thinking about it now still makes my stomach do u turns, was it Elsie Tanner on Corrie that used to order it? I know it was one of those soaps, or maybe Crossroads remember Meg and the moving walls??? I loved it, rushed home from work to watch it, things were so much more simple then I think, and things where left to the imagination too!!! Remember Benny with the beeny hat, acted the stupid one, will we used to see him , at the golf course we used to play at in spain, he seemed friendly enough, although I never got to speak to him funny how you think of people being the person they play in a part
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J.J
Hello All,
this is J.J reporting from Norfolk England.

Safe and sound and on the ground.

First impressions: green and lush countryside, horrific traffic with many reckless speeders, grimy city centers, clean McDonalds & BurgerKing with WiFi, disgustingly filthy rental we had lined up - I cried and DH nearly threw up, friendly neighbors, in town the drivers leaving parking lot hand over their unexpired ticket to cars just arriving.

We have some excitement at being back and feel it will turn out OK once we acclimate. And so the struggle to re-start our lives begins.

Should have:
1. brought more warm / waterproof clothes, it's rainy anorack weather, esp coming from 100 deg F in NC USA , the good side is there is low humidity here (ignoring the rain)
2. Bought an electronic luggage scale - our clockwork spring model broke during the final pack before driving to airport.
3. Lowered our expectations of what we would experience over here.

The process of moving over was successful.
We flew Virgin from Dulles, our nearest pet export gateway. I would not seek out Virgin for future flights, probably even avoid them. Expensively designer dressed attendants (English nationality) at check in immediately zoomed in on my 'within size roll-aboard' , weighed it, declared it 2 lbs over weight and playing to the crowd turned us out of line so as not to hold up real customers. We had to rejoin at the back after tossing some stuff
They also gave disapproving looks at our 3 check-in bags (paid for 1 extra) which we had expertly packed to within 2 lbs (one was 0.5 lbs less) less than Max.
People at Dulles on other airlines had larger carry-ons so it is Virgin rules.
Virgin plane had good selection self-select movies on seat back mounted screen, meals were mediocre, attendants drug out the ritual of pouring a free wine for every one that wanted, and got so slow that those at the back had finished meal before the drink cart arrived. Attendants were extremely tardy at coming round to collect trays after meal.. The overhead lights were late being turned off and early on at end, I felt more for convenience of attendants than for passengers.

Pet travel.
We had been worried, Charlie Cat had never been confined before.
On the 5 hr drive to airport he had settled in crate after intial complaints at being confined. Was a bit wild in hotel room at start but soon settled for a nights sleep, and next day on way to airport he settled quickly into crate.

Virgin Cargo check-in turned out to be multiple airline. When we arrived there was hearse unloading a adult coffin into cargo check-in. Pet check in was not the quiet hand over we had anticipated or been led to expect, but a extremely busy general shipping office. The paperwork took 45 mins to get through, but the friendly clerk knew her business and was efficient as multiple copying allowed. Charlie's traveling companion was one other cat. Don't know if it was deliberate to carry only cats that day, advise future travellers to ask when booking.
At Heathrow the pet transport vehicle did arrive as soon as plane stopped at gate.
After going through arrival we called Virgin Pet Rep who confirmed Charlie had arrived safely and was with Defra. We waited in the terminal until we got the call to go pick up (we then picked up our rental car and drove to Center.) The Defra center had a decent waiting room with couches, the Virgin Rep was there, greeted us, gave us an update and shortly we had all the paperwork in hand and then Charlie too, a bit spooked cos he's not used to being around many people, but otherwise OK. The staff seemed caring and we felt good about the way they handled Charlie and the process.
Paperwork was fine, we had followed Defra rules to the letter, and although we were stressed of the consequences of doing it wrong it all turned out OK.
Charlie is now in local Cattery until we get our accomadations worked out - again, he was initial nervous at this new experience, we checked on him a day later and her was more relaxed and settled.

OK , gotta go, more later when I get to the next McD's for free WiFi.connection

Board is too difficult to follow , if any specific questions please just IM me.
So glad you are home and the journey behind you, hopefully things will get better from now on. Was really shocked at Virgins tardiness> I had always thought if I could afford it I would travel Virgin, you get this mental picture, from the ads I suppose that they are THE ariline to travel with You are the second person to tell me they have been dissatisfied with them. I met a lovely Scottish couple in Florida who had travelled with them and he too was unempressed but now it is behind you, you will find England a little overcrowded at the beginning after coming from such a vast country, but it is also cosy, and hopefully you will get used to it soon. Good luck and I look forward to you next installment
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
So glad you are home and the journey behind you, hopefully things will get better from now on. Was really shocked at Virgins tardiness> I had always thought if I could afford it I would travel Virgin, you get this mental picture, from the ads I suppose that they are THE ariline to travel with You are the second person to tell me they have been dissatisfied with them. I met a lovely Scottish couple in Florida who had travelled with them and he too was unempressed but now it is behind you, you will find England a little overcrowded at the beginning after coming from such a vast country, but it is also cosy, and hopefully you will get used to it soon. Good luck and I look forward to you next installment

Well, here's a 3rd to add!! My girlfriend and I dropped our other friend off at the airport a few weeks ago, she was flying Virgin to Heathrow. We were very impressed with the young check in lady who let our friend off with almost 5 kilo's over. (I was VERY impressed after my woes with overweight luggage in the past.) So off she goes on her way with my friend and I left behind saying all the way on our drive back home how impressed we were with Virgin and would definitely use them on our next trip home (she is Irish and due to go for a holiday in September to Dublin).

Well got an email from friend who flew with them a few days later - not good at all, here it is copied and pasted:

Well I'm here at last and although they say Fly Virgin Fabulous it was awful. Very small, no legroom at all, food the worst I've had but the in flight entertainment was fabulous!! so flight itself passed by quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.