Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Peigi, About 5 miles from my Home, down the main route to Whitchurch, Shropshire, there is a village where the Post Office, closed down, and the inhabitants, were so incensed, they got up a petition. They now have built, a new Village Hall/ Shop/Post Office, and it seems to be doing OK.
Whitchurch? I went on holiday there with the school when I was 10, both myself and Dh went, it was lovely countryside, for some reason I want to say the place was called White Rock. Is that a Village? Or maybe it was the name of the hostel place we stayed.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm here! My husband is having a nap but I can't drop off so I thought I'd let you all know how it's going. We arrived this morning - American Airlines to Manchester was so much worse than when I flew Virgin to London - small plane, no space, no individual entertainment just some awful Queen Latifah movie, no veggie meal even though we ordered one and then double-checked. But I didn't care because I was just excited to be coming home.

My brother picked us up and at first he got lost trying to find his way to the M6 so we drove around the edges of Stockport and Manchester for quite some time. I have to say, my excitement about being home started to wane at that point. Very drab areas, lots of ugly houses, people who all look tired and unhappy, too much traffic ... but as we finally got on our way, things brightened up and the further north we got, the better they got! We're staying in Kendal, which is a place I've never been to. Let me tell you - the minute we started the approach into town, I fell head over heels in love. This place is amazing. We followed a winding road down into town, past Georgian houses and honey-colored stone terraces, and as we got closer to town, we were looking down on a church spire, with tall green hills behind it.

We're renting an apartment in a building right on the river just 2 minutes walk from the town center and it's absolutely gorgeous. Everything you could want in a holiday home - I feel like a princess.

But the best thing has been the people - if I were casting actors to help me show my husband the best possible aspects of Britain, I couldn't have found better people We have struck up conversations everywhere today - with the guy in the off-license, the supermarket cashier who just came back from New York and loved it, the girl at the car rental place, who upgraded us to a better car just because she's a kind person, and even a random man walking his dog who was leaving the apartment building at the same time as we were.

We had a walk round town before we ran out of energy and my impression is of a pretty, warm, welcoming town with a busy arts scene. We're supposed to be exploring different places to live, but I think I've found where I want to be! I've fallen in love.
Hello Sally wonderful post, I too get that feeling on the drive back from Gatwick to my home town, but when I arrive at Portsmouth I always feel good, Probably I think because many parts of the city are much the same as I remember it when I was a kid growing up there, its the new blended with the old, but the main street going through the whole city all the way to Southsea and the beaches is the way I remember it, that makes me feel good,
and I just know that I am home,
Kendal where you are staying sounds lovely, I am so glad you like it there, and I am sure your hubby will too, I have put Kendal on my list of places that I want to visit along with the Cotswolds and other beautiful places in the UK,
And also I want one day to get on that old steam train and take that trip, someone mentioned it a while ago ---- its near Manchester, but I cant remember where now cause I forgot to write it down, does anyone remember?

Anyway Sally & Hubby have a wonderful time over there, Im Jealous but my time will come soon enough,
Keep posting,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Tired and unhappy people, I've seem them too, I think some Brits are always that way,
I seem to notice them when downtown on Saturday with heavy shopping bags, they just think everyone as a better life than them, little do they know how well they have got it.

Hello Fish you hit the nail right on the head with what you say, a lot of people are like that,
And then you have the ones who seem to be happy & cheerful all the time no matter what,
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Sally wonderful post, I too get that feeling on the drive back from Gatwick to my home town, but when I arrive at Portsmouth I always feel good, Probably I think because many parts of the city are much the same as I remember it when I was a kid growing up there, its the new blended with the old, but the main street going through the whole city all the way to Southsea and the beaches is the way I remember it, that makes me feel good,
and I just know that I am home,
Kendal where you are staying sounds lovely, I am so glad you like it there, and I am sure your hubby will too, I have put Kendal on my list of places that I want to visit along with the Cotswolds and other beautiful places in the UK,
And also I want one day to get on that old steam train and take that trip, someone mentioned it a while ago ---- its near Manchester, but I cant remember where now cause I forgot to write it down, does anyone remember?

Anyway Sally & Hubby have a wonderful time over there, Im Jealous but my time will come soon enough,
Keep posting,
Take care,
Rodney.
Rod, The Severn Valley Railway has been operating for the last 40 years
between Kidderminster and Bridgenorth ,and follows the banks of the River Severn through Worcestershire up to Shropshire. Mind, do not stick your head out of the window as it is easy to get a speck in your eye. Used to have an attic as my bedroom when I was a nipper, and would collect the names of the different loco's that passed over the viaduct a few hundred of yards away. binoculars were quite usefull. Oh, happy days,and that old viaduct is still there. Must have been a work of art when it was built.
Take care everyone.
Ray.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Rod, The Severn Valley Railway has been operating for the last 40 years
between Kidderminster and Bridgenorth ,and follows the banks of the River Severn through Worcestershire up to Shropshire. Mind, do not stick your head out of the window as it is easy to get a speck in your eye. Used to have an attic as my bedroom when I was a nipper, and would collect the names of the different loco's that passed over the viaduct a few hundred of yards away. binoculars were quite usefull. Oh, happy days,and that old viaduct is still there. Must have been a work of art when it was built.
Take care everyone.
Ray.
Hi Ray,
Yes thank you for that, and after I posted I remembered that I saved the site for the severn valley railway, Its near Birmingham though isn't it?
I must get on that train cause trains are my passion, have been since I was a nipper too, I used to also collect the names of the steam trains that used to pass through Portsmouth, Oh happy days is right on !!!!
Just love those steam trains when I was a Lad,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:03 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hi Ray,
Yes thank you for that, and after I posted I remembered that I saved the site for the severn valley railway, Its near Birmingham though isn't it?
I must get on that train cause trains are my passion, have been since I was a nipper too, I used to also collect the names of the steam trains that used to pass through Portsmouth, Oh happy days is right on !!!!
Just love those steam trains when I was a Lad,
Take care,
Rodney.

Rodney; you may also be interested in the "Bluebell Railway" which operates steam trains between east Sussex and west Sussex in lovely countryside. It's not as extensive as the steam trains operating in Worcestershire, but it wouldn't be as far to get to from Portsmouth. We took our kids when they were small and our son was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine! (They had a 'Thomas' train ride, not sure if they still have this but I didn't spot it on their official website.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...x_England.html

http://www.bluebell-railway.com/

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bl.../bluebell.html (The Pullman dining car seems nice!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebell_Railway
Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Tired and unhappy people, I've seem them too, I think some Brits are always that way,
I seem to notice them when downtown on Saturday with heavy shopping bags, they just think everyone as a better life than them, little do they know how well they have got it.

Hello Fish you hit the nail right on the head with what you say, a lot of people are like that,
And then you have the ones who seem to be happy & cheerful all the time no matter what,

Thats exactly right Rod, that's how I see it too...

If you love trains Rod you will love the British train service, the timing is great, very much on time, Ok so they arent the old trains, times change, Id love to travel up and down the UK by train, so many places to see.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peigi, About 5 miles from my Home, down the main route to Whitchurch, Shropshire, there is a village where the Post Office, closed down, and the inhabitants, were so incensed, they got up a petition. They now have built, a new Village Hall/ Shop/Post Office, and it seems to be doing OK.
Happy people happy lives. Second trip downtown........ever so friendly and happy people. Third impression...don't want to come back to Texas......wanna stay forever........now maybe forever!!!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Whitchurch? I went on holiday there with the school when I was 10, both myself and Dh went, it was lovely countryside, for some reason I want to say the place was called White Rock. Is that a Village? Or maybe it was the name of the hostel place we stayed.
Hello Mummy, Can find no place as a Village, but to the West of Whitchurch, is a large ''House/Hall'' called White Rock - it is black and white Timbered, with a Quadrange in its' Centre. Could that be in your memory? Do tell - if it is, I have news for you! don.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 2:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mummy, Can find no place as a Village, but to the West of Whitchurch, is a large ''House/Hall'' called White Rock - it is black and white Timbered, with a Quadrange in its' Centre. Could that be in your memory? Do tell - if it is, I have news for you! don.
No the place looked like a 1970's prefab building like some of the classrooms at school, big open plan kitchen living space and a hall with bathrooms, and rooms for the teachers and two dorms, one for girls one for boys. It may well have been in part of the grounds of a big hall, we did all kinds of walking and had a wonderful time. Defiantly called White Rock, even Dh remembers the name and his memory is terrible.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking in friends, only 3 days now........panicking just a little got lots to do, my head is spinning but soon be on that plane..........
I have my citizenship interview on Wednesday at 11 a.m........then fly from Boston to Montreal to London Heathrow that evening.........so I think will be here to say goodnight Tuesday and then if I get time I will post Wednesday after my citizen test..........
I am very excited and feel like a little girl waiting for Christmas............cant believe I am actually doing this.......8 weeks away OMG
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Just checking in friends, only 3 days now........panicking just a little got lots to do, my head is spinning but soon be on that plane..........
I have my citizenship interview on Wednesday at 11 a.m........then fly from Boston to Montreal to London Heathrow that evening.........so I think will be here to say goodnight Tuesday and then if I get time I will post Wednesday after my citizen test..........
I am very excited and feel like a little girl waiting for Christmas............cant believe I am actually doing this.......8 weeks away OMG
Good luck Charley Girl. Safe flight too - I am right behind you - leaving from Minneapolis - Philadelphia - Heathrow on Friday 24th. I am very jittery too - packing 24 years of life into 3 suitcases is a bit much. Once I get to the other side I will relax, this is the hard part.

All the best with the Citizenship test - the questions are fairly basic, especially if you have lived here a while. One more hurdle. But you end up with far more knowledge of US history than most native born US citizens. Rosie
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Best Wishes, safe journey, Charley Girl. Boo! Hoo! All right for you - I have to wait till my Wife proves she has no TB, before we can get there! love dontheturner
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Charleygirl and Islandwoman, hope your flights are relaxing. The weather should not be to bad when you arrive, although it is getting cooler in the evenings.

My husband and I were talking and saying that we are not looking forward to September 25th this year as it will be a year since I left then. Hopefully this time next year we will all be together.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Good luck Charley Girl. Safe flight too - I am right behind you - leaving from Minneapolis - Philadelphia - Heathrow on Friday 24th. I am very jittery too - packing 24 years of life into 3 suitcases is a bit much. Once I get to the other side I will relax, this is the hard part.

All the best with the Citizenship test - the questions are fairly basic, especially if you have lived here a while. One more hurdle. But you end up with far more knowledge of US history than most native born US citizens. Rosie

Wow Rosie, 24 years into three suitcases, I could never do that, I wish you well I really do, Enjoy yourself in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.