Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

DDL, I am so happy for you. I know the walk is scary and you have to start a new job which is always scary and they're not paying you fabulous wages and there are all kinds of obstacles and unknowns, but just think about this ... you arrived in the UK just 3 weeks ago as a 'foreigner' in the worst recession the country has known in 40 years, and you got yourself a job almost immediately!

How impressive is that?? It's like the stuff ED has accomplished ... amazing! Take time out from being a bit freaked out to just pat yourself on the back for a job well done. I know I just poured a glass of wine to toast you ... well, OK, I had poured the wine before I read your news, but still ... the thought is there
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
DDL, I am so happy for you. I know the walk is scary and you have to start a new job which is always scary and they're not paying you fabulous wages and there are all kinds of obstacles and unknowns, but just think about this ... you arrived in the UK just 3 weeks ago as a 'foreigner' in the worst recession the country has known in 40 years, and you got yourself a job almost immediately!

How impressive is that?? It's like the stuff ED has accomplished ... amazing! Take time out from being a bit freaked out to just pat yourself on the back for a job well done. I know I just poured a glass of wine to toast you ... well, OK, I had poured the wine before I read your news, but still ... the thought is there
Wowee! Sally - My thoughts exactly - Always think lucky - and you'll be lucky. Well spoken. dontheturner
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

fantastic news DDL!

That is amazing, a job in your field in such a short time, in this economy....

Best of luck with it!

The advice about the good walking shoes is so important, a walk is such an enjoyable thing, but only if one has the right shoes! You can always change into another pair once you get to work...

Tina
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Who heads back next? Is it islandwoman for good and Sallysimmons for a holiday? Looking forward to hearing their thoughts. Oh I WISH it was me! Good luck to you both!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done girls wow, I am so happy for you both, denise, I think you should go for it.......
congrats!!
ED will you be able to do both jobs, have you got to let the family soon if you will accept.

I leave for an 8 week trip in 12 days......... I am very excited.....going to be with my 88 year old mum, leaving behind my hubby to take care of 3 teenagers
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well guys: the law firm in Windsor has offered me the job! Tony and I were visiting Hampton Court Palace when I got the call. I have until Monday morning to give them my answer.

The pay was "between x and xx" and they offered me "x" so I'm not particularly thrilled with that but then again - even though I have years of experience as a Legal Secretary - I've not worked as a Legal Secretary in the UK before (well, I have, but it was only for a few weeks and then we moved to the US), so I suppose it's a fair offer.

Am truly concerned about the commute. Not so much the train ride (it's only a 14-minute journey) - but the walk to work. It's quite a walk. I'm not in the best shape (a bit overweight) but I know it will be good for me (as you rightly pointed out, Sally S.) so I think I should at least TRY, right? And for now, I won't think about what it will be like on rainy days and cold, snowy days.

Anyway, just wanted to share my news.
Congrats Denise, Take this job and run with it, Enjoy it and appreciate the fortune that has come your way, I'm thrilled for you, Gosh, loads of people would love to work in Windsor, its a wonderful place. AWESOME.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Am truly concerned about the commute. Not so much the train ride (it's only a 14-minute journey) - but the walk to work. It's quite a walk. I'm not in the best shape (a bit overweight) but I know it will be good for me (as you rightly pointed out, Sally S.) so I think I should at least TRY, right? And for now, I won't think about what it will be like on rainy days and cold, snowy days.

I am joining with all the others to wish you well and say congratulations on the job. As for walking: as someone else said, get good shoes - even sneakers will do, then change at the office. Years ago I was a Paralegal in Illinois, and used to have a whole array of shoes under my desk - wore sneakers to work, then changed according to my mood and my clothing color of the day!
Please do give us an idea of the road you will be working on so that we can 'follow' you on Google earth - we ARE living vicariously at the moment!

I will do my best to keep updating the forum once I am in England - unsure about Internet connections at the various homes I will be a visitor in until I am independently located, but will log in as and well.

All the best, Rosie
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well guys: the law firm in Windsor has offered me the job! Tony and I were visiting Hampton Court Palace when I got the call. I have until Monday morning to give them my answer.

The pay was "between x and xx" and they offered me "x" so I'm not particularly thrilled with that but then again - even though I have years of experience as a Legal Secretary - I've not worked as a Legal Secretary in the UK before (well, I have, but it was only for a few weeks and then we moved to the US), so I suppose it's a fair offer.

Congratulations Denise, , even if you decide not take the position just the fact that you have been offered is a huge moral booster. I do understand about the walk though especially if your like me and a bit overweight but what I did was buy a good pair of runners (trainers) and took my work shoes in a bag, made all the difference at the end of the day. Again how wonderful for you and Tony.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Well done girls wow, I am so happy for you both, denise, I think you should go for it.......
congrats!!
ED will you be able to do both jobs, have you got to let the family soon if you will accept.

I leave for an 8 week trip in 12 days......... I am very excited.....going to be with my 88 year old mum, leaving behind my hubby to take care of 3 teenagers
Yes, the job with the couple is evenings and weekends and the job that I interviewed for on Thursday in Monday through Friday 9-5, with busses running straight from where I would be working to where the elderlly couple live. I had hoped that I would hear form the Health Care Agency on Friday , but I know they were interviewing yesterday also, so hopefully early next week.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

OH VERY WELL DONE DENISE!!!!!

Get some good joggers and take your change of work shoes in your bag, after a few months you will be healthier and fitter and won't be overweight in the slightest!!

I don't come on here much now as I TRY TRY TRY to settle down here, it's been 5 months since I got back and am not really settled but this will have to do for now.

I DO love to read your updates, but my God they make me sooo sad - wishing I was there not here............
Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
OH VERY WELL DONE DENISE!!!!!

Get some good joggers and take your change of work shoes in your bag, after a few months you will be healthier and fitter and won't be overweight in the slightest!!

I don't come on here much now as I TRY TRY TRY to settle down here, it's been 5 months since I got back and am not really settled but this will have to do for now.

I DO love to read your updates, but my God they make me sooo sad - wishing I was there not here............
Oh Barb I feel your pain...been homesick myself for 35 years...just remember..
UK-OZ-UK-OZ-UK-OZ-(YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE)-----UK

cheers....Taffy
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL

CONGRATULATIONS that is great news.
I know it will all seems a bit overwhelming to start with but trust me after you have done it for a week or so it will all feel like old hat. You have done so well in such a short time, you must feel such pride in what you have already accomplished and this is just the beginning of the new chapter in your life, enjoy.

Chris
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Just came back from a wonderful day with an old friend from primary school. We went for a trip back to the old school, although the building is not longer there, the wall that surrounded it still is, it seemed so much taller before. We then went to the old Graveyard to see my Grandfather and Grandmothers grave, for many this might seem a little morose but for me it was so wonderful. For 45 years I did not have the opportunity to visit the grave of one of the most influential woman in my life. She lost her husband along with 28 other men in a mining accident, six months later she lost her only son at the age of 17 and then six months after that she lost my Aunt Helen at the age of 5. She provided for her remaining 4 children by herself and then for many years helped take care of her grandchildren. She was a strong woman who disciplined her grandchildren with strong hand and a loving heart and I feel that if I have even one of her attributes then I am very lucky.
We then went to visit a castle that once belonged to ancestors of my family on my fathers side and once again I was transported back to another time in my life when things were so very much simpler. I had forgotten the beauty of the countryside and the serenity and gracefulness of this stately home. The present owners have divided the house and the out buildings into several flats but it has been done in a architecturally sympathetic way, so that you cannot tell the new from the original.
We have made plans to get some of the old gang together and meet for a meal, can't wait, what a day!!

Last edited by Easterndawn; Sep 11th 2010 at 7:01 am.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Just came back from a wonderful day with an old friend from primary school. We went for a trip back to the old school, although the building is not longer there, the wall that surrounded it still is, it seemed so much taller before. We then went to the old Graveyard to see my Grandfather and Grandmothers grave, for many this might seem a little morose but for me it was so wonderful. For 45 years I did not have the opportunity to visit the grave of one of the most influential woman in my life. She lost her husband along with 28 other men in a mining accident, six months later she lost her only son at the age of 17 and then six months after that she lost my Aunt Helen at the age of 5. She provided for her remaining 4 children by herself and then for many years helped take care of her grandchildren. She was a strong woman who disciplined her grandchildren with strong hand and a loving heart and I feel that if I have even one of her attributes then I am very lucky.
We then went to visit a castle that once belonged to ancestors of my family on my fathers side and once again I was transported back to another time in my life when things were so very much simpler. I had forgotten the beauty of the countryside and the serenity and gracefulness of this stately home. The present owners have divided the house and the out buildings into several flats but it has been done in a architecturally sympathetic way, so that you cannot tell the new from the original.
We have made plans to get some of the old gang together and meet for a meal, can't wait, what a day!!
Lovely story - I have hopes to spend some time like that myself - going over old haunts and places with personal meaning. Please keep posting - with you and DDL it is like a daily diary of hope for the rest of us. Thanks in advance, Rosie
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
And on another note....

We spent this morning in Windsor Great Park watching the National Carriage Driving Championships (a week-end event but today was free entry), then went to Hampton Court Palace for the afternoon.

Tomorrow is Heritage Open Days where many English Heritage sites will be open for free. We're going to visit Red House, home of William Morris. I've wanted to go there for a long, long time. I'm a BIG fan of William Morris. On the way, we're going to eat at one of the few remaining traditional Pie & Mash shops in London, and when we finish up at Red House - since we'll be in that general area - we're going to Bluewater Mall.

Next week-end it's London Open House where, again, many local London sites (historic and otherwise) will be open for free. We're thinking of visiting Guildhall as it's always been on our "list" but to date, we've never gotten there. Lloyd's of London will also be open and that's one building I've been dying to tour. Lloyd's is one of those London buildings that you either love or hate. And I love it!!

Cramming it all in before I become a working woman again! They want me to start end of next week. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...scaredhair.gif

Temperatures have been very comfortable lately, 60s during the day, and I've noticed that some trees are beginning to shed their leaves...autumn is nigh. It's my favourite time of year, autumn.

Rodney, it's going to be just perfect here by the time you arrive in the UK.
Hi DDL/Denise,
Yeah right ---- Its gonna be just perfect there by the time I arrive ha ha ha
I remember November, thats the month that I have always gone home for short visits every 4 or 5 years for about three weeks holiday, and it is so cold & rainy & windy then but as I said before --- bring it on, Im ready for it,
Congratulations on the Job offer, well your thinking should you take it or not,
The money is not what you expected, but it will get better with raises later on, The big problem though is the commute right, now do I understand this correctly? first you have to hop on a train 14 minute ride, OK that drops you off at some point and then you have to walk to work the rest of the way, do I have that right?
Now how about buying a cheap bike, ride it to the train station, take it on the train (I think they allow you to do that over there) and then you have your bike to ride the rest of the way to work, much easier then walking and faster too, ---- but having said that me thinking of myself pedaling down the road in 40 mph winds & rain belting me in the face,
But whatever you decide Denise, the thing Is I suppose whether or not you think there are other opportunities out there, it is a very hard decision to make though when you only have a few days to make it,
But anyway I wish you the best of British,
Take care,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.