Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:14 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning, well I have been asked for a second interview this afternooon for the position that I interviewed for on Thursday. Hope this is a good sign, so wish me luck, here goes..........
That's brilliant news! Good luck with that!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:42 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I've accepted the position in Windsor and I start on Friday. SCARED TO DEATH Starting a new job anywhere is never easy, but this one - a new job in a new country - will be a mega-challenge for me. At 55 years old (I will be 56 years old tomorrow) I don't learn as fast as I used to!

Tony has to go to hospital on Thursday for a stress test. For at least 6 months now he's been having chest pains. At first we thought it was just stress related to the move, etc. - and it very well could be - but his Dad had a history of heart disease (had bypass surgery and 8 years later died very unexpectedly from a heart attack at age 69) so I'm very concerned about what this test might show. I hate the fact that he has the stress test late Thursday afternoon and then I have to go away to work on Friday morning.

Never a dull moment around here!

Saturday was Heritage Open Days (free entry to selected historical sites) so we visited Red House (home of William Morris). On the way there, we took a detour through London so we could have pie and mash and M. Manze, one of the few remaining traditional pie, mash and eel shops. The shop itself was like stepping back in time - brilliant - but sadly the food really was not that good.

Anyway, after Red House we went to the beautiful Bluewater Mall and walked around. Very nice place.

Yesterday we had Sunday Roast at a Harvester pub in Chertsey (I had the pork, Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, and apple chutney - £6.50). The Italian Grand Prix was on the telly so we enjoyed watching that whilst we ate. Afterwards, we drove out to Windsor again to check out the walk between the train station and the office (it was a beautiful day and Windsor was mobbed with people!), then we crossed over the footbridge into Eton and had a snoop along the High street.

Saturday night we watched Last Night of the Proms on BBC. I soooo wished I could have been at Royal Albert Hall or Hyde Park (we did Last Night at Hyde Park many years ago) but it was lovely watching it on telly...all those people waving their Union flags, singing "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory." Bloody fabulous.

Tomorrow's my birthday and I think we're going to do Kew Gardens and Kew Palace (and Queen Charlotte's Cottage). The last time we lived here (7 years ago), they were just beginning to restore Kew Palace so we're looking forward to seeing the end result. We are "big fans" of George III. Since it's my birthday, I'll probably also be able to talk Tony into taking me for Afternoon Tea at Maids of Honour (across from Kew Gardens) - it's one of my favourite tearooms.

Picked up the Sunday edition of The Times yesterday and it took me about 3 hours to get through it. FANTASTIC. I had forgotten what a proper newspaper was like.

Passed a floor refinishing shop the other day. The name of the business was "Jack the Stripper".

That's about all my news this morning. It's a bit cloudy but I do see the sun poking its head through the clouds. Temperatures for the last couple of weeks have been in the 60s during the day.

Sending best wishes from this side of the pond to you all!

Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, I've accepted the position in Windsor and I start on Friday. SCARED TO DEATH http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/redface.gif Starting a new job anywhere is never easy, but this one - a new job in a new country - will be a mega-challenge for me. At 55 years old (I will be 56 years old tomorrow) I don't learn as fast as I used to!

Tony has to go to hospital on Thursday for a stress test. For at least 6 months now he's been having chest pains. At first we thought it was just stress related to the move, etc. - and it very well could be - but his Dad had a history of heart disease (had bypass surgery and 8 years later died very unexpectedly from a heart attack at age 69) so I'm very concerned about what this test might show. I hate the fact that he has the stress test late Thursday afternoon and then I have to go away to work on Friday morning.

Saturday was Heritage Open Days (free entry to selected historical sites) so we visited Red House (home of William Morris). On the way there, we took a detour through London so we could have pie and mash and M. Manze, one of the few remaining traditional pie, mash and eel shops. The shop itself was like stepping back in time - brilliant - but sadly the food really was not that good.

Anyway, after Red House we went to the beautiful Bluewater Mall and walked around. Very nice place.

Yesterday we had Sunday Roast at a Harvester pub in Chertsey (I had the pork, Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, and apple chutney - £6.50). The Italian Grand Prix was on the telly so we enjoyed watching that whilst we ate. Afterwards, we drove out to Windsor again to check out the walk between the train station and the office (it was a beautiful day and Windsor was mobbed with people!), then we crossed over the footbridge into Eton and had a snoop along the High street.

Saturday night we watched Last Night of the Proms on BBC. I soooo wished I could have been at Royal Albert Hall or Hyde Park (we did Last Night at Hyde Park many years ago) but it was lovely watching it on telly...all those people waving their Union flags, singing "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory." Bloody fabulous.

Tomorrow's my birthday and I think we're going to do Kew Gardens and Kew Palace (and Queen Charlotte's Cottage). The last time we lived here (7 years ago), they were just beginning to restore Kew Palace so we're looking forward to seeing the end result. We are "big fans" of George III. Since it's my birthday, I'll probably also be able to talk Tony into taking me for Afternoon Tea at Maids of Honour (across from Kew Gardens) - it's one of my favourite tearooms.

Picked up the Sunday edition of The Times yesterday and it took me about 3 hours to get through it. FANTASTIC. I had forgotten what a proper newspaper was like.

Passed a floor refinishing shop the other day. The name of the business was "Jack the Stripper".

That's about all my news this morning. It's a bit cloudy but I do see the sun poking its head through the clouds. Temperatures for the last couple of weeks have been in the 60s during the day.

My very best wishes to you, in the start of your new job. Your husband, might well be told, that he has to take tablets for the rest of his life - and if so, like me, I obeyed the Consultant to the letter - I was then 52, Compulsorily Retired - that was in 1982 - have been round the world five times since then, had my 80th a month or two ago, and coming home from Thailand, in March next year - so good luck, to you both, and take care.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, I've accepted the position in Windsor and I start on Friday. SCARED TO DEATH http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/redface.gif Starting a new job anywhere is never easy, but this one - a new job in a new country - will be a mega-challenge for me. At 55 years old (I will be 56 years old tomorrow) I don't learn as fast as I used to!

Good Morning, I do hope the test results come back wih positive results for both of you. The silver lining is that you are in the Uk and so therefore any treatment is not going to bankrupt you. I will be thinking of you guys and wishing you good vibes.
I watched Last Night of the Proms also, and that is something on my list of things to do, to go to a live performance, it was wonderful wasn't it. I am glad you have decided to take the job and remember if it is not working out, you can be looking for another position. Much easier to get a position if you have been working here in the UK, even for a short time. I do envy you and Tony as you seem to be doing so many of the things that Bob and I would love to be doing together.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Good Morning, well I have been asked for a second interview this afternooon for the position that I interviewed for on Thursday. Hope this is a good sign, so wish me luck, here goes..........
I have my and everything else crossed again.

Good luck Chris
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
[F

Well, I've accepted the position.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Great to hear you are taking the job, you will be fine i'm sure.

Hopefully it's just the stress of the move that is causing Tony's chest pains. Good to hear he has the appointment so you can put your minds at rest.

Carry on having such a great time and sharing it with us.

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

:QUOTE=DDL;8844374]Well, I've accepted the position in Windsor and I start on Friday. SCARED TO DEATH http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/redface.gif Starting a new job anywhere is never easy, but this one - a new job in a new country - will be a mega-challenge for me. At 55 years old (I will be 56 years old tomorrow) I don't learn as fast as I used to!

[/QUOTE]
Hi Denise thanks for all the news and Happy Birthday...congrats on your job it'll be like driving on the other side of the road you'll soon get the hang of it. Good luck on Tony's test results..just to let you know they have come a long way in treating heart disease, 4 years ago at the age of 53 I had a heart attack they flew me to Toronto and put a stent in my main artery. The next day they kicked me out of hospital and said you are good to go your plumbing has been fixed, it's good that you are checking things out before an actual heart event could happen.So

Cheers...Taffy
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Trottytrue you amaze me, I love that you haven't given up and please don't, staying busy and looking forward with positive thoughts like you do is the only way to be, don't let depressing thoughts rent space in your head, (Thats good advice for everyone.)

Yes get that sign fixed, a leaning sign is a sign of a tired house, we don't want that, get it up straight as if it went on sale today.

I truly believe if you want something bad enough eventually you will get it, and I know you want it Bad.

Good Luck as always.
Trottytrue Just wishing you well too, the advice that Fish gave you was perfect, and you certainly deserve good things coming your way soon, good luck on the house,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ed,
All the best of British luck, this I really feel is it, third time lucky, dont get nervous on your interview just be yourself,
can hardly wait to read your next post,
Take care brave lady,
Rodney.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Good heavens, so much going on!

ED Peigi, BEST OF LUCK with the second interview, of course it's a marvellous sign and bodes very well...

DDL Denise, congratulations on the job, and on your courage--it IS scary, but you sound like such an upbeat and competent person, you will do fine! (especially with all that oxygen flowing through the system after your daily invigorating walk!! )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow!

And good luck to Tony with the stress test, indeed let us hope it was just the moving etc, but anyway, a good thing that he is getting it looked into.

Charleygirl leaving the 3 teenagers w hubby for 8 weeks...I do admire your guts in doing what you need to do for yourself, despite lack of support, and I do hope those 8 weeks in UK help you understand what is best for your life. Just a thought--perhaps teenagers might be interested in idea of college in UK, which altho more expensive than it used to be, is so much cheaper still than US?? Tho you do have to be resident for I think 3 years before you can get home student rates....an incentive for them to live w you in UK? (If you want them to, that is )

Trottytrue, lovely to hear from you, and your plans for the spring garden are so wise, leaving it nice for a buyer....and yes, do straighten the sign, I am sure St Joseph has nothing to do with its leaning, it's probably a mole or something, and he (a carpenter, after all!) wants you to get it straight again!

Rodney, you always have an encouraging word for everyone...how exciting that your own departure in November is suddenly not so far away....here in the northeast US there's an autumnal nip in the air now, tho not in Las Vegas I guess....but really it's not long now!

To all (too many wonderful people to name), good luck in packing, planning, or just dreaming and hoping!

Tina
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did not get the job I applied for, but, after interviewing me and checking out my qualifications they have made a position for me. I will officially be the Operation Manager of Scheduling for the South Side. I will also be responsible for interviewing and hiring support workers. They are looking at hiring RN's and have asked if I would be interested in assisting in the set up. The wages is higher than the other position as it will be in management. I am over the moon, as everyone said third time lucky, thanks everyone for the kind thoughts, now have to wait to call hubby. Oh, I start on Wednesday.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello DDL/Denise,
Oh boy your stories of the things you are doing in and around London I am just lapping them up, I love them,
I was hoping that you would take that Job in Windsor, so glad that you did, it is so natural to get nervous on your first day, but once that first day is over with you feel so relieved and comfortable, you will do fine, the people that offered you the Job have a lot of confidence in you otherwise they wouldn't have chose you,

I hope Tony,s appointment at the hospital returns good news,

And a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Denise

And the Sunday roast is one of Britons wonderful traditions that I have so missed all these years and I am looking forward to having a few of them when I return soon, My Mum told me a few weeks ago on the phone that she will start cooking the Sunday roast again when I return ----- that kind of shocked me, and I said thanks so much Mum and that would be wonderful but as long as you let me help you with all the preparation of the veggies & stuff,
she said of course we can do it together every Sunday,
But now and again I will take her to a Pub on a Sunday and I will treat us both to a nice roast, and a nice pint of beer
Take care Denise and keep those posts coming, by the way your posts remind me so much of Anna,s posts when she first arrived in Malta,
Rodney.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Well, I did not get the job I applied for, but, after interviewing me and checking out my qualifications they have made a position for me. I will officially be the Operation Manager of Scheduling for the South Side. I will also be responsible for interviewing and hiring support workers. They are looking at hiring RN's and have asked if I would be interested in assisting in the set up. The wages is higher than the other position as it will be in management. I am over the moon, as everyone said third time lucky, thanks everyone for the kind thoughts, now have to wait to call hubby. Oh, I start on Wednesday.
CONGRATULATIONS that is great news and well deserved, i am so pleased for you.

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tina, I hope you are fine, you say in your neck of the woods you can already feel that nip in the air, well thankfully here in Vegas the evenings have gone down to the 70,s but for the rest of this month the temps in day time are about 95 to 100, and then it gets much cooler next month,
Well I have survived my last summer in Vegas, PHEW !!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

How fantastic ED - the tide has finally turned - you deserve this break after all you have been through - I am really happy. Good Luck for Wed

DDL well done for taking the job, I was hoping you would - you will be great and probably able to teach 'em a few things . Yes, its a bit nerve racking but we are all rooting for you and ED. Hope hubby's tests dont turn up anything serious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.