Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:25 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hey everyone - here's a big to "J.J." (Joan & John) who will be leaving tomorrow, heading back home to the UK after - what was it - 18 years in the US or something like that.

CONGRATULATIONS and thank you for sharing with us all the details about your move. I for one found the information very helpful!

Best wishes!!!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hey everyone - here's a big to "J.J." (Joan & John) who will be leaving tomorrow, heading back home to the UK after - what was it - 18 years in the US or something like that.

CONGRATULATIONS and thank you for sharing with us all the details about your move. I for one found the information very helpful!

Best wishes!!!
Wanted to add my congratulations to J.J too. Good luck with the move

Boy, am I envious
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Wanted to add my congratulations to J.J too. Good luck with the move

Boy, am I envious
me too, I wanna go (is there a foot stamping icon here somewhere?)
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
me too, I wanna go (is there a foot stamping icon here somewhere?)
Don't know about the foot stamping icon, but we are a sad bunch, all wanting to go too

Seriously, if I don't leave by the end of this summer I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I want to be home so badly. I'm not unhappy here, but want to be home.

Wish I had a tardis with David Tennant in it
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Don't know about the foot stamping icon, but we are a sad bunch, all wanting to go too

Seriously, if I don't leave by the end of this summer I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I want to be home so badly. I'm not unhappy here, but want to be home.

Wish I had a tardis with David Tennant in it
Sorry, just caught this and had to comment!! If I had David Tennant to travel with me, I wouldn't care where he took me, in any world or galaxy!!!! Forget England!!! Yum, yum, yum!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:40 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aes1
Sorry, just caught this and had to comment!! If I had David Tennant to travel with me, I wouldn't care where he took me, in any world or galaxy!!!! Forget England!!! Yum, yum, yum!!!!
DITTO
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL

Best wishes!!!
Good luck and best wishes to you both you will have a great time at home, keep us informed of how you are doingI am hoping to book our flights for june 28th, the cheapest is with the cut price airline Canadian Affair, I travelled with them before, and I did not really like them, they really are strict with their weight of 20lbs and 5lbs hand luggage, my husband and I had one case of 10lbs hand luggage and they charged us $40 because it was one case and not 2 x 5lbs, thought that a bit rip off, and got no joy when I emailed customer service. I really liked Delta Airlines, we were allowed 50lbs each and loads of hand luggage but even out of buffalo it is very expensive so will probably have to go with the cut price one. I have found though when you pay for all the extras, like leg room, films, blanket ect: it really is'nt that much cheaper, anyone know any other airlines to try? thanks Denise
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Good luck and best wishes to you both you will have a great time at home, keep us informed of how you are doingI am hoping to book our flights for june 28th, the cheapest is with the cut price airline Canadian Affair, I travelled with them before, and I did not really like them, they really are strict with their weight of 20lbs and 5lbs hand luggage, my husband and I had one case of 10lbs hand luggage and they charged us $40 because it was one case and not 2 x 5lbs, thought that a bit rip off, and got no joy when I emailed customer service. I really liked Delta Airlines, we were allowed 50lbs each and loads of hand luggage but even out of buffalo it is very expensive so will probably have to go with the cut price one. I have found though when you pay for all the extras, like leg room, films, blanket ect: it really is'nt that much cheaper, anyone know any other airlines to try? thanks Denise
one day we will all be gone and there will NO more postings on this thread! Have to start a new one..50's & 60's are Back home and Happy
Denise try Icelandair, they have good one way fares, even though you have to go through Reykjavik, you get a good baggage allowance.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Yip! He's a yummy Scotsman, just my type. It wouldn't need to be Scotland either
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
one day we will all be gone and there will NO more postings on this thread! Have to start a new one..50's & 60's are Back home and Happy
Denise try Icelandair, they have good one way fares, even though you have to go through Reykjavik, you get a good baggage allowance.
Yes, I came with Icelandair, I had one very large suitcase, one medium, a carry-on, a 17"laptop in a bag, and a backpac. We thought that we would have to pay as we knew that I was overweight, and I was, but they waved it through, should of cost me probable another $200 or more. I came economy with higher class you get higher baggage allowance. I came Reykjavik, Copenhagen to Glasgow. When hubby comes, if we can afford it will only have one stop, and will go a higher class, found not a lot of leg room and I am only 5' 4". They did supply pillows and blankets at no cost even though it did say on their site they were only issued at no cost to higher class. From Copenhagen the flight was BM, great flight and a good meal at no cost but by that time I was not even sure if on right flight, or even right universe, left Halifax at 10:55pm arrived Glasgow at 4:20pm took 10 minutes to get from plane to meeting my friend, all the custom officer said was "Welcome Home". Cost of $399 one way.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Yes, I came with Icelandair, I had one very large suitcase, one medium, a carry-on, a 17"laptop in a bag, and a backpac. We thought that we would have to pay as we knew that I was overweight, and I was, but they waved it through, should of cost me probable another $200 or more. I came economy with higher class you get higher baggage allowance. I came Reykjavik, Copenhagen to Glasgow. When hubby comes, if we can afford it will only have one stop, and will go a higher class, found not a lot of leg room and I am only 5' 4". They did supply pillows and blankets at no cost even though it did say on their site they were only issued at no cost to higher class. From Copenhagen the flight was BM, great flight and a good meal at no cost but by that time I was not even sure if on right flight, or even right universe, left Halifax at 10:55pm arrived Glasgow at 4:20pm took 10 minutes to get from plane to meeting my friend, all the custom officer said was "Welcome Home". Cost of $399 one way.
Hi ED, What a good price! I plan to use them from Toronto when I GO with only one stop in Reykjavik to LHR. I hope your hubby gets to join you soon, its awful being apart. Am reading your progress with great interest - I am also in the hotel industry (in Toronto) and really enjoy it. Just wish I was there and not here Hang in there, you are inspirational to us all.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Best wishes!!!
Yep me too, have a really nice flight, Joan & John wish I was going with you --- but my date time will fly by and I will be heading back too, --- cant wait !!!!

Who is that Scotsman you are all talking about? is he a celebrity in UK?
Rodney.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
Hi ED, What a good price! I plan to use them from Toronto when I GO with only one stop in Reykjavik to LHR. I hope your hubby gets to join you soon, its awful being apart. Am reading your progress with great interest - I am also in the hotel industry (in Toronto) and really enjoy it. Just wish I was there and not here Hang in there, you are inspirational to us all.
Thanks WAWA, just getting by day to day, yes wish he was here with me also.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Best wishes!!!
Hope I'm not too late to wish J & J all the very best, safe trip, wonderful homecoming and do keep us updated.

BON VOYAGE!!

Barb
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bon Voyage, happy landings, and remember anything I can do to help let me know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.