Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I got a lump in my throat just thinking of the day that my dogs will be able to get to the point of getting the flea and tick meds as I will know that I will finally have them here in a couple of days. My husband tells me that my little Shitszu sits on the deck looking up the road every day waiting for me, and gets excited when someone comes up the drive and then just goes into her crate when she realizes it's not me. Good luck on the flight, take care and enjoy that moment when you realize you are finally home.
Peigi/Ed,
Wow I got a lump in my throat too in reading this post of yours,
Dogs are very inteligent animals, they have feelings just like us, they can be happy and contented or sad, they feel your love, and they truly love you unconditionaly and they always will,
And when you leave them they dont of course understand why your not there anymore, but they love you so much ----- and they never forget you,

And when you said your little one sits on the deck looking up the road every day waiting for you, and gets excited when someone comes up the drive and then just goes into her crate when she realizes its not you, ---- So she is sad right now, she's remembering you, and she misses you so much,
But just think how she will feel and you will feel when you and your hubby and your two Dogs --- the big one and the little one, both so cute, are finnaly all together again as one happy familly like you will be,

Time will fly by -- you will see, just keep your Job and work hard and the rest will fall into place, by the way I am so happy that you like your Job, looks like this is the one !!!
Take good care of your self Peigi,
Rodney.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone, well I have gone from doing nothing to working 109hrs in the past two weeks, finally got a day off yesterday, seemed that I had a million things to do and not enough time to do them. The weather here has been brilliant I think it really has only rained a couple of days in the past few weeks. Yesterday, as I walked to the high street walked past where the new flat that I will be moving to in November is, really is a lovely area, from the small balcony I will look directly onto the river which is just in front of the apartment. There is also a river walk just below the apartment, so lots of people walking their dogs and just enjoying the view. A few minutes from the door is a walking bridge across the river and withing 10 minutes you are in the middle of the high street. Seems that all I have done is move in the past year but I think this will be the one for a while, good area and good rent, ideal area for husband and dogs to come to.
I have half day off on Sunday so hoping that it will be sunny and warm, so that I can take a good book, a blanket and go to beach for the day, no cost and peaceful. I am still amazed that religeon still plays a huge part in UK society especially in Scotland and Ireland and this was really brought to the fore front on Saturday as it was the Orange Walk in Ayr, I was very surprised at the some of the comments of the employees. I guess growing up in Canada I was not exposed to these strong feelings about religeon and I am actually thankful for that as it does not make any difference to me, it is what is inside you and the person you are not the church that you attend.
Hi Peigi, hope you have a wonderful day off on Sunday. Sounds like you need one!! I hope to be like you very soon, gainfully employed, please God!

I grew up in Liverpool where we still have the Orange Lodge marching too, thankfully I am like you and consider that it's what inside a person that matters not which church you attend (or don't).

Barb
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:12 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Carole and welcome, prepare yourself for a BIG BIG read LOL!!! Ah yes ED at the holiday camp............and now.......nope I won't spoil it for you LOL!!

Highspeed Grandma - all the very best to you and please DO keep us updated with your Hong Kong stories, this thread truly is the best!!! We have our own little travel writers with new tales every few days.

Well I think I am on the home stretch on the job front, I have had a few more interviews and am now in the running for 4 jobs, I have a 2nd interview on Tuesday for the job I really want. So hopefully I will have some good news to share this week, then I can get a flat, get my stuff out of storage and get my life back on track, living here in Australia where I am supposed to be.

Barb
I've been thinking of you Barb, good luck with the job interview. I know it has been so hard for you. It was lovely to read your words 'where I am supposed to be' because you sound very much at peace with your decision. I'm still struggling with the whole children/grandchildren dilemma - now another little one due in January. It's hard and I long for the day when I know where I'm supposed to be because my heart is still in two places.

TT I was sorry to read your sad news and thank you for sharing your wisdom as always.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peigi, hope you have a wonderful day off on Sunday. Sounds like you need one!! I hope to be like you very soon, gainfully employed, please God!

I grew up in Liverpool where we still have the Orange Lodge marching too, thankfully I am like you and consider that it's what inside a person that matters not which church you attend (or don't).

Barb
My fingers, toes and anything else is crossed for you, I know what it is like to be out of work, so darn frustrating and equally demoralizing. It's the waiting and don't you hate the prospective employers who never let you know if you did or if you did not and why you did not.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:31 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

[QUOTE=dgjamison;8634646]
Originally Posted by jasper123

no Rodney traditionally the english breakfast dos'nt have potatoes, but we have what they call an Ulster fry, and it comes with potato bread and soda bread with our frys, I have never seen it served anywhere else in the world, not even the south of Ireland, it is very much an northern thing, I think there might be some scottish influence there, with the potato bread (potato cakes) my mother baked her own, soda and potato breads and it was georgous, she taught me how to bake them, I made some when we had an apartment, for a treat, my husband really enjoyed it, but I have forgotten how to bake the soda bread, it is not the same soda bread that you get in England. When we owned a little cafe, we used to get a lot of lorry drivers from england come in for breakfast, and buy the bread to take back as they could not get it in england, maybe if any of you get to the north of Ireland you can try it, but it must be a good cafe, some deep fry it all and it is awful, it should be done on a flat griddle, so not too soaked in grease lovely
Don't forget the Wheaten Farls, oh how I could eat an Ulster Fry right now. Saturday was always baking day for my mum and I think she was the busiest 'wee woman' in Lisburn. Sunday - big Ulster Fry - just bliss Must look out my recipes for Soda, Wheaten and Potato bread
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:35 pm
mrs sully

Originally Posted by J.J
Thanks to everyone for your best wishes in our travels home.
Tomorrow , Weds is flight date.

This morning the vet administered the flea and worm treatments and signed the final paperwork, then we drove the 300 or so miles up from Raleigh NC to near Dulles Washington DC as the gateway to fly our cat from with Virgin. We are now in an excellent Holiday Inn Express for the night using last of our airmiles, as is the rental car.
We had been concerned the worm treatment would give our cat the poops, but thankfully not and there were no accidents on the way here.

Bags are packed, boarding passes printed on the free hotel computer, extra check-in bag paid for online, we are now ready for free breakfast in the morning and then to check our cat in 5 hrs before the flight tomorrow evening with time then to return the car and get ourselves to the terminal.

Have dined on grocery store salad-bar salad and pizza in our room, we didn't want to leave cat alone but he now seems the most relaxed of the 3 of us.

We will be sure to post our travels once we get home and wired (McD's have free wireless over there too).
Will also be glad to try to answer any specific Q's anyone has about our whole journey to get home. IM's are welcome.

Take care everyone, we look forward to reading of your returns too.

Cheers,
Have a wonderful trip home. I found a lovely house online the other day at Hopton on Sea, you never know J J, you never know. All the very best
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:46 pm
mrs sully

Barb
Barb and Peigi, the 12th July will soon be here and that takes on a whole different meaning in N. Ireland. I remember watching the marches as a teenager and hearing the noisy Lambeg drums; of course things got very difficult during 'the troubles'. It was lovely to go back last year and see that sanity prevails and so does the Irish sense of humour. My sister and brother in law live up in the Highlands of Scotland - Dornoch. The church plays a very big role in their lives (just a wee bit dour for me) I would have to give up the G & T's. Still it brings a sense of community and they welcome visitors with open arms, oh another thing, the morning teas are just wonderful .
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Barb and Peigi, the 12th July will soon be here and that takes on a whole different meaning in N. Ireland. I remember watching the marches as a teenager and hearing the noisy Lambeg drums; of course things got very difficult during 'the troubles'. It was lovely to go back last year and see that sanity prevails and so does the Irish sense of humour. My sister and brother in law live up in the Highlands of Scotland - Dornoch. The church plays a very big role in their lives (just a wee bit dour for me) I would have to give up the G & T's. Still it brings a sense of community and they welcome visitors with open arms, oh another thing, the morning teas are just wonderful .
Ah yes the Glorious 12th with King Billy and his handmaidens marching throught the city with people lining the streets and waving their orange streamer/stick thingies a bit like American cheerleaders , I wanted sooo much as a kid to dress up and march with them (I am a Proddy/Protestant) but my mother wouldn't let us because of the "fights" and the pepper thrown around, probably a throwback to her childhood but not mine. All I saw was these kids all done up with their sticky out white dresses with frilly underskirts and white shoes and I just wanted to be one of them without thinking of any religious reasoning.

Liverpool is/was very sectarian back in the 60's, I got battered by my mother for going to a Cogger (Catholic) church back then. Thankfully times and attitudes have changed.

Barb

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 15th 2010 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
I've been thinking of you Barb, good luck with the job interview. I know it has been so hard for you. It was lovely to read your words 'where I am supposed to be' because you sound very much at peace with your decision. I'm still struggling with the whole children/grandchildren dilemma - now another little one due in January. It's hard and I long for the day when I know where I'm supposed to be because my heart is still in two places.

TT I was sorry to read your sad news and thank you for sharing your wisdom as always.
Well Mrs Sully, I am trying to come to terms with where I am now in my life, doesn't mean this is REALLY where I want to be but ho hum...........what can you do.........
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

My fingers, toes and anything else is crossed for you, I know what it is like to be out of work, so darn frustrating and equally demoralizing. It's the waiting and don't you hate the prospective employers who never let you know if you did or if you did not and why you did not.
Oh yes Peigi, my confidence has taken a bit of a battering I have to say and like you say the employers who don't even contact you to say well no you don't have the job and why are the worst, whatever happened to common courtesy?

YOU the prospective employee take the time, trouble and lets face it the money for petrol or train fares to go for these interviews, then you sit there and hear.................the sound of silence.............mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:33 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone, well I have gone from doing nothing to working 109hrs in the past two weeks, finally got a day off yesterday, seemed that I had a million things to do and not enough time to do them. The weather here has been brilliant I think it really has only rained a couple of days in the past few weeks. Yesterday, as I walked to the high street walked past where the new flat that I will be moving to in November is, really is a lovely area, from the small balcony I will look directly onto the river which is just in front of the apartment. There is also a river walk just below the apartment, so lots of people walking their dogs and just enjoying the view. A few minutes from the door is a walking bridge across the river and withing 10 minutes you are in the middle of the high street. Seems that all I have done is move in the past year but I think this will be the one for a while, good area and good rent, ideal area for husband and dogs to come to.
I have half day off on Sunday so hoping that it will be sunny and warm, so that I can take a good book, a blanket and go to beach for the day, no cost and peaceful. I am still amazed that religeon still plays a huge part in UK society especially in Scotland and Ireland and this was really brought to the fore front on Saturday as it was the Orange Walk in Ayr, I was very surprised at the some of the comments of the employees. I guess growing up in Canada I was not exposed to these strong feelings about religeon and I am actually thankful for that as it does not make any difference to me, it is what is inside you and the person you are not the church that you attend.

ED, it is definitely very strong in and around Glasgow. Based on religous beliefs, the rest of Scotland does not care which church/school/football team you go to or support. You might even be shocked to find that lots of churches are turned into pubs, nightclubs and casinos these days, particularly in Aberdeen.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
ED, it is definitely very strong in and around Glasgow. Based on religous beliefs, the rest of Scotland does not care which church/school/football team you go to or support. You might even be shocked to find that lots of churches are turned into pubs, nightclubs and casinos these days, particularly in Aberdeen.
Yes, there is a pub on the Sandgate Street known as the Free House, used to be a church haven't been inside yet but will when I get a little more solvent. I thought that the religious belief thing was of the past and that was why some of the things my employees were saying really surprised me. Even though my family was not Catholic, my husband is and as I have said it does not make a bit of difference to me. Told him the other day he would have to walk on one side of the road and me on the other when visiting some towns of Ireland, Scotland and England

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jun 16th 2010 at 12:52 am.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Even though my family was not Catholic my husband is and as I have said it does not make a bit of difference to me. Told him the other day he would have to walk on one side of the road and me on the other when in some of the town of Ireland and Scotland
And England...................
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi WAWA,
I used to work in the Bristol place hotel there in Toronto when I first emigrated to Canada in 1974 ---- in 1977 I started my life in US
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, that is so interesting - seems a really nice hotel, its at the airport, right? Are you still involved in hotels, is that why you are in Las Vegas? You have been out of UK for a long time, like me, but that does not stop the heart-wrenching pull that we all feel. Its time to go back
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Thanks to everyone for your best wishes in our travels home.
Tomorrow , Weds is flight date.

This morning the vet administered the flea and worm treatments and signed the final paperwork, then we drove the 300 or so miles up from Raleigh NC to near Dulles Washington DC as the gateway to fly our cat from with Virgin. We are now in an excellent Holiday Inn Express for the night using last of our airmiles, as is the rental car.
We had been concerned the worm treatment would give our cat the poops, but thankfully not and there were no accidents on the way here.

Bags are packed, boarding passes printed on the free hotel computer, extra check-in bag paid for online, we are now ready for free breakfast in the morning and then to check our cat in 5 hrs before the flight tomorrow evening with time then to return the car and get ourselves to the terminal.

Have dined on grocery store salad-bar salad and pizza in our room, we didn't want to leave cat alone but he now seems the most relaxed of the 3 of us.

We will be sure to post our travels once we get home and wired (McD's have free wireless over there too).
Will also be glad to try to answer any specific Q's anyone has about our whole journey to get home. IM's are welcome.

Take care everyone, we look forward to reading of your returns too.

Cheers,
How exciting! Good luck to you both, or should I say three

Looking forward to your updates when you get back home. I know that I will be looking for specifically the pet angle as to how that goes. I am taking my two cats back with me when I go, so would love to hear all the details about the check-in, flight, and how they deal with your cat at the other end. What airline are you flying with again?

Anyway, good luck, you lucky people

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.