Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Joan and John, Congratulations and Jubilations Have a safe flight and great times when you get home. Push over in that seat, make room for me, I keep getting on these flights but never getting off Have a Blackcurrant Tart on me Lots of best wishes and keep posting to let us know how things are going.

ED.. so glad you are doing well. Hubby will soon be with you and the dog

I felt quite sad today. Unpacked another 10 boxes and got rid of most. But sad to think that if all had gone well 3years ago all this junk would have be back in the UK with me. Not really junk, just dont feel I need it anymore.

Have to be careful when getting rid of stuff. I was putting a teapot in the garage sale. I looked at it and then decided to get on the internet and see how much its worth. Royal Copenhagen $450

UK to US to UK to US now awaiting the long journey home. 33years
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper.... I meant the practice cards so she can know all she needs to know.I am glad they came in handy I was going to chuck them out. Didnt mean my certificate. My hubby did ask me how do I now prove that I am an American Citizen, before I could just show my card. I didnt have an answer. I suppose they just type me into a computer and can find out. I hope. I suppose I could reduce the size of my certificate and keep that with me.
Trottytrue,
Thanks for explaining that to me,
Now about how can you prove you are a US citizen now, well when I went to my oath ceremony here in Vegas, ---- at the courthouse after the ceremony and takeing the oath & having our picture taken with the Judge & all, we were directed out of the court and along the corridor was a big long table where you could apply for your passport right there and then --- no hassle, they take your picture and you fill out the form and on the form they have the cost of the passport, but also there was a box you could tick if you also wanted a US passport card, and so I ticked the box, it was $20 extra for the card,
So about 10 days later I received my US passport and the passport card, the card has my picture on it and has all the details of the actual passport,

So you see the card is the same size as a debit card and you just keep it in your wallet and you can whip it out anytime anyone asks you for proof of citizenship, --- the card proves it,
I am sure you can still do it now if you wanted too, even though you have already got your passport, just phone the passport office and ask if you can get the US passport card,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
Hi ED, What a good price! I plan to use them from Toronto when I GO with only one stop in Reykjavik to LHR. I hope your hubby gets to join you soon, its awful being apart. Am reading your progress with great interest - I am also in the hotel industry (in Toronto) and really enjoy it. Just wish I was there and not here Hang in there, you are inspirational to us all.
Hi WAWA,
I used to work in the Bristol place hotel there in Toronto when I first emigrated to Canada in 1974 ---- in 1977 I started my life in US
Rodney.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yep me too, have a really nice flight, Joan & John wish I was going with you --- but my date time will fly by and I will be heading back too, --- cant wait !!!!

Who is that Scotsman you are all talking about? is he a celebrity in UK?
Rodney.
David Tennant was "Dr. Who" for many years in the UK. Great guy. There's a new Dr. Who now...
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and he looks like he has just come out of his diapers! Looks so young.. I am old - Jon Pertwee only Dr. Who in my books but that's my opinion..can't believe Daleks are still around..technology might have advanced but Daleks havent.. those were the days..
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the goodbyes to JJ, by now they are probably HOME, I hope they come and let us know how they are.

Totty shame about the boxes, I just was in my attic OMG, dont know where to start, but I suppose every little helps and got just three grocery store plastic bags of trash ......too hot to work up there.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Yes and he looks like he has just come out of his diapers! Looks so young.. I am old - Jon Pertwee only Dr. Who in my books but that's my opinion..can't believe Daleks are still around..technology might have advanced but Daleks havent.. those were the days..
Yes, he does look very young, but I like him. I always really liked Jon Pertwee too. The good old days
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:50 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Thanks to everyone for your best wishes in our travels home.
Tomorrow , Weds is flight date.

This morning the vet administered the flea and worm treatments and signed the final paperwork, then we drove the 300 or so miles up from Raleigh NC to near Dulles Washington DC as the gateway to fly our cat from with Virgin. We are now in an excellent Holiday Inn Express for the night using last of our airmiles, as is the rental car.
We had been concerned the worm treatment would give our cat the poops, but thankfully not and there were no accidents on the way here.

Bags are packed, boarding passes printed on the free hotel computer, extra check-in bag paid for online, we are now ready for free breakfast in the morning and then to check our cat in 5 hrs before the flight tomorrow evening with time then to return the car and get ourselves to the terminal.

Have dined on grocery store salad-bar salad and pizza in our room, we didn't want to leave cat alone but he now seems the most relaxed of the 3 of us.

We will be sure to post our travels once we get home and wired (McD's have free wireless over there too).
Will also be glad to try to answer any specific Q's anyone has about our whole journey to get home. IM's are welcome.

Take care everyone, we look forward to reading of your returns too.

Cheers,
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:00 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Good luck and best wishes to you both you will have a great time at home, keep us informed of how you are doingI am hoping to book our flights for june 28th, the cheapest is with the cut price airline Canadian Affair, I travelled with them before, and I did not really like them, they really are strict with their weight of 20lbs and 5lbs hand luggage, my husband and I had one case of 10lbs hand luggage and they charged us $40 because it was one case and not 2 x 5lbs, thought that a bit rip off, and got no joy when I emailed customer service. I really liked Delta Airlines, we were allowed 50lbs each and loads of hand luggage but even out of buffalo it is very expensive so will probably have to go with the cut price one. I have found though when you pay for all the extras, like leg room, films, blanket ect: it really is'nt that much cheaper, anyone know any other airlines to try? thanks Denise
Denise....I've already posted the link below on this thread....but now (amazingly!) there are more than 4000 posts here so no wonder you may have missed it!

Not to be confused with Icelandair, there is a budget airline called "Iceland Express". They are doing a seasonal service until the end of August from Newark, New Jersey and Winnipeg (YWG) to London Gatwick via Reykjavik.

http://www.icelandexpress.com/

The price of a one way flight from Winnipeg on 26th June is US$446 + tax $66 Total = $512

Flights from Newark, NJ to LGW are not operating on 26th June BUT if you leave on 28th June or 30th June a one way flight is just US$106 + tax of $92
Total = US$198
(Oddly enough, the one way flight on Tuesday 29th June is a whopping $552 and on 1st July $347.50 ...)

The baggage allowance is generous too: 30kg (66lbs) in the hold and up to 10kg (22lbs) hand baggage:

http://www.icelandexpress.com/flight..._category_id=9

If you can manage to book a cheap flight from Newark, it might be worth renting a car one way and dropping it off at Newark airport then taking your flight. It is do-able....we live 15 mins from Newark airport and have driven to/from Niagara Falls (Canadian side) in one day....although another time we did stop at a motel to break the journey.

The other similarly named airline, "Icelandair" operates from the North East departing from Toronto, Halifax, Boston and JFK via Reykjavik:

http://www.icelandair.com/ (They see to be more expensive than Iceland Express though!)

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone, well I have gone from doing nothing to working 109hrs in the past two weeks, finally got a day off yesterday, seemed that I had a million things to do and not enough time to do them. The weather here has been brilliant I think it really has only rained a couple of days in the past few weeks. Yesterday, as I walked to the high street walked past where the new flat that I will be moving to in November is, really is a lovely area, from the small balcony I will look directly onto the river which is just in front of the apartment. There is also a river walk just below the apartment, so lots of people walking their dogs and just enjoying the view. A few minutes from the door is a walking bridge across the river and withing 10 minutes you are in the middle of the high street. Seems that all I have done is move in the past year but I think this will be the one for a while, good area and good rent, ideal area for husband and dogs to come to.
I have half day off on Sunday so hoping that it will be sunny and warm, so that I can take a good book, a blanket and go to beach for the day, no cost and peaceful. I am still amazed that religeon still plays a huge part in UK society especially in Scotland and Ireland and this was really brought to the fore front on Saturday as it was the Orange Walk in Ayr, I was very surprised at the some of the comments of the employees. I guess growing up in Canada I was not exposed to these strong feelings about religeon and I am actually thankful for that as it does not make any difference to me, it is what is inside you and the person you are not the church that you attend.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Thanks to everyone for your best wishes in our travels home.
Tomorrow , Weds is flight date.

This morning the vet administered the flea and worm treatments and signed the final paperwork, then we drove the 300 or so miles up from Raleigh NC to near Dulles Washington DC as the gateway to fly our cat from with Virgin. We are now in an excellent Holiday Inn Express for the night using last of our airmiles, as is the rental car.
We had been concerned the worm treatment would give our cat the poops, but thankfully not and there were no accidents on the way here.

Bags are packed, boarding passes printed on the free hotel computer, extra check-in bag paid for online, we are now ready for free breakfast in the morning and then to check our cat in 5 hrs before the flight tomorrow evening with time then to return the car and get ourselves to the terminal.

Have dined on grocery store salad-bar salad and pizza in our room, we didn't want to leave cat alone but he now seems the most relaxed of the 3 of us.

We will be sure to post our travels once we get home and wired (McD's have free wireless over there too).
Will also be glad to try to answer any specific Q's anyone has about our whole journey to get home. IM's are welcome.

Take care everyone, we look forward to reading of your returns too.

Cheers,
I got a lump in my throat just thinking of the day that my dogs will be able to get to the point of getting the flea and tick meds as I will know that I will finally have them here in a couple of days. My husband tells me that my little Shitszu sits on the deck looking up the road every day waiting for me, and gets excited when someone comes up the drive and then just goes into her crate when she realizes it's not me. Good luck on the flight, take care and enjoy that moment when you realize you are finally home.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ed, so happy you are working, hope you are making it pay, future home sounds lovely, shitzu story is a heart breaker, it would tear me apart, I so much want your husband and dogs to join you soon.

Best Wishes Phil.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Ed, so happy you are working, hope you are making it pay, future home sounds lovely, shitzu story is a heart breaker, it would tear me apart, I so much want your husband and dogs to join you soon.

Best Wishes Phil.
Believe me Phil it is, I think it is because the night I left, they were in the car and they saw me leave and I just never came back. They don't understand why I am not there, if dogs can be a soul mate then my little girl is certainly mine.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
David Tennant was "Dr. Who" for many years in the UK. Great guy. There's a new Dr. Who now...
OH ----yes I used to watch Doctor who over there before I came over here, and that was an awful long time ago when John Pertwee was dr who,
Rodney.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
Yes fulwood I also think Jon Pertwee was the best Dr Who ---- but then again I havn't seen any other then him, so thats my shallow opinion only,
Looks like Dr who will go on for ever, whats it been now 40 or 50 years?

Now on the other hand I (HAVE) seen (ALL) of the James Bond Movies that have lasted also 50 years and I still think that Sean Connery was the best one, But Roger Moore was definatly a close second, --- I loved Roger Moore in Ivanhoe on TV when I was a KID teenager, and later as the Saint, I wanted to be just like the Saint charecter, you know how we are when we are young people, he portrayed to me a man that had a life full of excitment and adventure, and he was honest too, I liked that --- you know a good man,
And that little fast sports car he drove ---- out of this world,
But then again I also wished I was Indiana Jones too Talk about the ultimate Adventure Man (Harrison Ford) --- but his life was a little too dangerous for me
Take care,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.