Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well, I did not get the job I applied for, but, after interviewing me and checking out my qualifications they have made a position for me. I will officially be the Operation Manager of Scheduling for the South Side. I will also be responsible for interviewing and hiring support workers. They are looking at hiring RN's and have asked if I would be interested in assisting in the set up. The wages is higher than the other position as it will be in management. I am over the moon, as everyone said third time lucky, thanks everyone for the kind thoughts, now have to wait to call hubby. Oh, I start on Wednesday.
Ed/Pegie,

I knew it, I felt it so strongly that you would get this Job, oh a great big CONGRATULATIONS to you and well done,
And a better position and more money WOW thats great, you so deserve this break after all you have been through, you certainly know how to sell yourself on an interview dont you, now you deserve a nice strong drink,
Your Hubby is going to be so happy when you call him,
Take care Pegie,
Rodney.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did not get the job I applied for, but, after interviewing me and checking out my qualifications they have made a position for me. I will officially be the Operation Manager of Scheduling for the South Side. I will also be responsible for interviewing and hiring support workers. They are looking at hiring RN's and have asked if I would be interested in assisting in the set up. The wages is higher than the other position as it will be in management. I am over the moon, as everyone said third time lucky, thanks everyone for the kind thoughts, now have to wait to call hubby. Oh, I start on Wednesday.
WONDERFUL Eastern Dawn/Peigi!!!
Well done, that is fantastic--finally employers who seem to recognise and appreciate your skills and abilities!
Thanks so much for telling us right away!
Awesome

Tina
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Tina, I hope you are fine, you say in your neck of the woods you can already feel that nip in the air, well thankfully here in Vegas the evenings have gone down to the 70,s but for the rest of this month the temps in day time are about 95 to 100, and then it gets much cooler next month,
Well I have survived my last summer in Vegas, PHEW !!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney! I am fine.
Crikey, how you cope with those high temps I can't imagine....like most people who grew up in England, I used to long for heat and sun, but now I'm older I find it harder and harder to cope with very hot summers and esp with high humidity...these cooler autumn mornings and evenings are refreshing, then the days are still lovely, high sixties or about 70--I think September is the nicest month in NE USA actually.

Tina
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ed, Words escape me, Im just so thrilled for YOU!
Brilliant !!!!!

I hope this job turns out to be a good one for you, and a permanant job, even better money, hahahaaaa GREAT.

What about that, in the past week two of our Dear Friends have landed good jobs...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

By the way DDL Denise, I forgot to respond to these words of yours from your earlier post:

Quote:
Picked up the Sunday edition of The Times yesterday and it took me about 3 hours to get through it. FANTASTIC. I had forgotten what a proper newspaper was like.
end quote

YES! this is SO true about the newspapers, when I visit England I buy LOTS of them and read them avidly and cannot get OVER how much better they are than papers here in USA, hw much interesting writing, what a high standard the writing is, how each day's paper is like a whole magazine with feature articles and everything, and as for the Sunday papers, well, each one is like a book...

..the quality of the newspapers is one of the biggest things I miss about England.

Tina
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

DDL,

Thank you for telling us in detail what you did yesterday I really appreciate it.

There will be a change when you go from tourist to working girl but thats not all bad because you will feel a part of everything and also you will stop the leak in your savings.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Sep 13th 2010 at 5:25 am. Reason: Insert name
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ed, Words escape me, Im just so thrilled for YOU!
Brilliant !!!!!

I hope this job turns out to be a good one for you, and a permanant job, even better money, hahahaaaa GREAT.

What about that, in the past week two of our Dear Friends have landed good jobs...
Thanks, I also hope this the one I will be at till time to retire. I feel I need the stability, it's not even the money thing, as being on a budget is what we have being doing for the past five years anyways. Guess, I am being a little cautious after the last two jobs.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

As it is said in the States: Awesome! I am so pleased for you - you held out for the position that is correct for your knowledge and experience. Well done! Rosie
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, I've accepted the position in Windsor and I start on Friday. SCARED TO DEATH http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/redface.gif Starting a new job anywhere is never easy, but this one - a new job in a new country - will be a mega-challenge for me. At 55 years old (I will be 56 years old tomorrow) I don't learn as fast as I used to!

Tony has to go to hospital on Thursday for a stress test. For at least 6 months now he's been having chest pains. At first we thought it was just stress related to the move, etc. - and it very well could be - but his Dad had a history of heart disease (had bypass surgery and 8 years later died very unexpectedly from a heart attack at age 69) so I'm very concerned about what this test might show. I hate the fact that he has the stress test late Thursday afternoon and then I have to go away to work on Friday morning.

Never a dull moment around here!

Saturday was Heritage Open Days (free entry to selected historical sites) so we visited Red House (home of William Morris). On the way there, we took a detour through London so we could have pie and mash and M. Manze, one of the few remaining traditional pie, mash and eel shops. The shop itself was like stepping back in time - brilliant - but sadly the food really was not that good.

Anyway, after Red House we went to the beautiful Bluewater Mall and walked around. Very nice place.

Yesterday we had Sunday Roast at a Harvester pub in Chertsey (I had the pork, Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, and apple chutney - £6.50). The Italian Grand Prix was on the telly so we enjoyed watching that whilst we ate. Afterwards, we drove out to Windsor again to check out the walk between the train station and the office (it was a beautiful day and Windsor was mobbed with people!), then we crossed over the footbridge into Eton and had a snoop along the High street.

Saturday night we watched Last Night of the Proms on BBC. I soooo wished I could have been at Royal Albert Hall or Hyde Park (we did Last Night at Hyde Park many years ago) but it was lovely watching it on telly...all those people waving their Union flags, singing "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory." Bloody fabulous.

Tomorrow's my birthday and I think we're going to do Kew Gardens and Kew Palace (and Queen Charlotte's Cottage). The last time we lived here (7 years ago), they were just beginning to restore Kew Palace so we're looking forward to seeing the end result. We are "big fans" of George III. Since it's my birthday, I'll probably also be able to talk Tony into taking me for Afternoon Tea at Maids of Honour (across from Kew Gardens) - it's one of my favourite tearooms.

Picked up the Sunday edition of The Times yesterday and it took me about 3 hours to get through it. FANTASTIC. I had forgotten what a proper newspaper was like.

Passed a floor refinishing shop the other day. The name of the business was "Jack the Stripper".

That's about all my news this morning. It's a bit cloudy but I do see the sun poking its head through the clouds. Temperatures for the last couple of weeks have been in the 60s during the day.

Sending best wishes from this side of the pond to you all!

Congratulations on the job situation. I hoped you would take it, and it will seem fine after a while - you have had so many changes in a short time frame, this is just one more.
Thanks for the descriptions of the places you are visiting - getting in all the tourist attractions whilst you are still relatively free is a smart idea. I plan on doing the same in a few weeks, before settling down. Never thought of the Red House - now I will add that to my 'wish list'. All the best, Rosie
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:48 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, ED! Congratulations!! Wow, we're both going to have those first-day-jitters this week! This sounds like a job where you can really spread your wings and mold it into exactly what you want. I'm so happy for you!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:56 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just back from Tesco for a quick shop and thought I'd share some prices with everyone so you can get an idea on what to expect when you get here.

2 litre bottle Tesco brand still water = 17p
Pint milk = 45p
Box Yorkshire Gold teabags = £2.74
4 mini pork pies = £1
Yogurt (4) = £1
Tesco brand individual Steak Pie = 58p (and they are delicious!)
Pack of 5 sausage rolls = £1.09
5 bananas = 52p
6 Jonathan Gold apples = 95p
Loaf Hovis bread = 75p
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Just back from Tesco for a quick shop and thought I'd share some prices with everyone so you can get an idea on what to expect when you get here.

2 litre bottle Tesco brand still water = 17p
Pint milk = 45p
Box Yorkshire Gold teabags = £2.74
4 mini pork pies = £1
Yogurt (4) = £1
Tesco brand individual Steak Pie = 58p (and they are delicious!)
Pack of 5 sausage rolls = £1.09
5 bananas = 52p
6 Jonathan Gold apples = 95p
Loaf Hovis bread = 75p
I can't believe it! I will be able to eat AND pay rent... Pork pies - there's something I have not eaten for 24 years - my mouth is watering already!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, I've accepted the position in Windsor and I start on Friday. SCARED TO DEATH http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/redface.gif Starting a new job anywhere is never easy, but this one - a new job in a new country - will be a mega-challenge for me. At 55 years old (I will be 56 years old tomorrow) I don't learn as fast as I used to!

Tony has to go to hospital on Thursday for a stress test. For at least 6 months now he's been having chest pains. At first we thought it was just stress related to the move, etc. - and it very well could be - but his Dad had a history of heart disease (had bypass surgery and 8 years later died very unexpectedly from a heart attack at age 69) so I'm very concerned about what this test might show. I hate the fact that he has the stress test late Thursday afternoon and then I have to go away to work on Friday morning.

Never a dull moment around here!

Saturday was Heritage Open Days (free entry to selected historical sites) so we visited Red House (home of William Morris). On the way there, we took a detour through London so we could have pie and mash and M. Manze, one of the few remaining traditional pie, mash and eel shops. The shop itself was like stepping back in time - brilliant - but sadly the food really was not that good.

Anyway, after Red House we went to the beautiful Bluewater Mall and walked around. Very nice place.

Yesterday we had Sunday Roast at a Harvester pub in Chertsey (I had the pork, Yorkshire Pudding, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, and apple chutney - £6.50). The Italian Grand Prix was on the telly so we enjoyed watching that whilst we ate. Afterwards, we drove out to Windsor again to check out the walk between the train station and the office (it was a beautiful day and Windsor was mobbed with people!), then we crossed over the footbridge into Eton and had a snoop along the High street.

Saturday night we watched Last Night of the Proms on BBC. I soooo wished I could have been at Royal Albert Hall or Hyde Park (we did Last Night at Hyde Park many years ago) but it was lovely watching it on telly...all those people waving their Union flags, singing "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory." Bloody fabulous.

Tomorrow's my birthday and I think we're going to do Kew Gardens and Kew Palace (and Queen Charlotte's Cottage). The last time we lived here (7 years ago), they were just beginning to restore Kew Palace so we're looking forward to seeing the end result. We are "big fans" of George III. Since it's my birthday, I'll probably also be able to talk Tony into taking me for Afternoon Tea at Maids of Honour (across from Kew Gardens) - it's one of my favourite tearooms.

Passed a floor refinishing shop the other day. The name of the business was "Jack the Stripper".

That's about all my news this morning. It's a bit cloudy but I do see the sun poking its head through the clouds. Temperatures for the last couple of weeks have been in the 60s during the day.

Sending best wishes from this side of the pond to you all!

Hello Denise, DDL.

I'm enjoying your posts, the days out and all the details, newspaper, the proms, pie and mash, Sunday Dinner etc.

I think £6.50 is a fair price for Sunday dinner, we have a Sunday dinner every Sunday, My wife and I both love Yorkshires puddings and a real Sunday dinner, sometimes we have it mid week too, Life wouldn't be the same without it.

With all that traveling you do I cant see a walk from the Windsor train station being a problem, I'm happy you have accepted the job, I'm not sure about you but many Brit's seem to like their Tea as thick as Blood (yuk) so that's something to watch out for in the office.

When we went to Windsor we had a good look around the shops, we went down an alley and was surprised to find a train station there, what a cute setting.

I'm sure your new job will be a good thing, it will take a while to settle but that's normal for all of us, the money will come.

I sure hope all goes well for Tony on Thursday

Happy Birthday Denise.

Now for my Sunday roast story.
When we emigrated in 76 many things were sent in wooden trunks by sea, we had never been on a plane before, this flying business was all new to us, we flew from Heathrow to JFK on TWA, the next day we flew out to Denver, we were ready to board our last flight to Wyoming when a security guy discovered Mum had all these kitchen utensils in her carry on, Yes all the sharp kitchen knives including her favorite Prestige knife for the roast, you should have seen peoples faces, when asked Mum told them there were for cutting the Sunday joint, all went well, the security guys couldn't believe we had brought them all that way and nobody had seen them, they boxed them up and threw them in the hold and all arrived safely, we still have those knives today.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

ED...I am so thrilled for you If anyone deserves a break its you I feel this job sounds much more stable than the other two but you took little steps and it paid off. You can have a glass of wine, a blackcurrent tart ,cheese and onion pie, a dish of chips and some cheese to go with the wine
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I also hope this the one I will be at till time to retire. I feel I need the stability, it's not even the money thing, as being on a budget is what we have being doing for the past five years anyways. Guess, I am being a little cautious after the last two jobs.

I totally understand your position, Stability and Security mean a lot, like you say more than the money, I totally agree, I too hope this is one of those jobs that will take you to retirement, that would be Nice.

I know you've travelled a rough road, I just hope things smooth out for you so that hubby and pets can be with you soon, You Desereve it more than anyone.

Enjoy your week, what a great week it is already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.