Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
What new Bridge?
Google it, its fantastic..
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hi Don,
Well that sounds like a great place to meet up, you say its a Town with a station so I could get the train from Portsmouth to there,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney - Yes, of course you could. It is called Wellington ( Telford West) - presumably because we are supposed to be a part of the Telford City plan. Take care. 106 days for me, I hope! Don
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I found it on Youtube! The whole thing is funny ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKg8drEZyI

... but if you want to skip to the part about Boehner, just click this link instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKg8drEZyI#t=06m1s

Sally, thank you so much for posting this link of President Obamas dinner ---- roast, I have just watched it and WOW he had me in stiches, thanks a lot,
and also later I will watch President Clinton and Hillary's roast and the others too on the same link, good stuff,
Rodney.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Yes all those deaths was the bad part, and spooky like you say, Those guys worked Hard.

Your spelling isnt bad Rod, Ive read all your posts today,
That was lovely giving your pal that big Telly, So glad you made up, you just cant have too many Real Friends in life, Hopefully he will make it over to Blighty to see you in the coming years, Have a wonderful Night yourself Sir....
My friends name is Arthur or Art, the last time my Mum came over to visit me in 2004 she met Art and they both instantly clicked, recently she has told me that if Art cares to visit us in the UK sometime in the future please tell him that we will always have a spare bedroom and a bed with clean sheets for him to stay,
I hope he comes over one day to visit, that would be so nice, he's never been outside the United States,
Rodney.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
About time too! Everybody hated them, when they first came about, but there gets more, as you have to seperate, glass, and tins, from other trash - and you must never put garden rubbish, in a sack, or they will not take it. - they claim you are mixing green, with plastic! Oh! and the lid, MUST be closed right down. Don
My friend Art owns his house here in Vegas, just recently he showed me his new Wheeley bins, yes they are big but in America we keep them in our garages out of site, and only put them out on trash pick up day, then when we come home from work we put them back in the garage,
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Rodney - Yes, of course you could. It is called Wellington ( Telford West) - presumably because we are supposed to be a part of the Telford City plan. Take care. 106 days for me, I hope! Don
Don,
I will see you at the Pub for drink and food after a while when you get to England and settled a bit, looking forward to it too and maybe bluenose will want to join us for the day too, cant think though if his house was far from the town or not, pretty close to me though, take care, 25 days for me to blast off into the big blue sky on that huge flying machine,
Rodney
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Google it, its fantastic..
Jackie all I can say is Dah on my part, I kind of remember watching the news recently on Telly about the opening of the bridge, but forgot about it very quickly, trouble is I dont get out much
Rodney.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
The new bridge that just opened next to the dam for all the traffic, it no longer goes over the dam

THE GIST
The bridge cost $240 million to build and involved 1,200 laborers and 300 engineers.
The Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge is now the seventh highest in the world.
enlargeAmerica's
Ahhh thats the Baby, the Bypass... Rod should check out before he leaves...
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a treat for anyone who wants to see some wonderful northern countryside. It's a new British comedy starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon and it's on Youtube.

The humor really doesn't get going until part 2, so stick with it (if you like this kind of alternative, dry humor, that is). But even if you don't find it funny, they go up into Lancashire in episode one and the scenery is just lovely. Future episodes apparently feature the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales so they will be a feast for the eyes.

The Trip - Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZm0JFzbL0
The Trip - Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld3qRyifcZI
Thanks for that Sally, I'm Fan of Rob Brydon, The darn thing froze 5 minutes from the end, I will try again later.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ahhh thats the Baby, the Bypass... Rod should check out before he leaves...
Fish & Jackie I have put it on my to do list,
Tell me fish do you remember that lady I was talking about on her first day in UK --- in Birmingham, scared and alone?
You, me, and many others posted and talked to her, go back on my post today about 2 or 3 pages please and let me know,
I am just trying to remember her name and just cant for the life of me remember what happened to her, is she still there? or did she come back,
Rodney.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, only fish commented on my posts the last time, so maybe you have all forgotten me but I want to let you know, everything is going well, about the driving.........maybe it is because I am older but OMG, everyone drives so fast and the roads are so small hahaha, but I drove the day i got home, but then I did drive in March....only gone on the wrong side once and my dear brother reminded me, thank god he was with me or who knows how far I would have driven.
My times has flown by, Rod you must be very excited.
Not looking forward to winter in NH, the weather has been very mild here, well as far as I am concerned it is, few people have moaned about how cold and I am still out in just a sweater!
Hightide, 2 days till your trip, have a lovely time,
Trotty, did you get my email, been thinking of you and is there anything small you want me to bring you back, looking like I may have excess baggage, got some great clothes and shoes in the Charity shop!!!!!!!!! I reckon a rich lady my size dumped a load of,
I still think people can eat here quite cheaply if you buy basic range which I do for my mum and I, love the bread and choices of everything seems far more than US. Lots of good deals in the grocery stores, and lots of Buy one get one free too.
Love the fashion here.
Going to be a sad day when I go back to US. Trotty need to see you asap!!!!!!
Good luck to everyone with their dreams and plans.
Charleygirl in Leicester!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish & Jackie I have put it on my to do list,
Tell me fish do you remember that lady I was talking about on her first day in UK --- in Birmingham, scared and alone?
You, me, and many others posted and talked to her, go back on my post today about 2 or 3 pages please and let me know,
I am just trying to remember her name and just cant for the life of me remember what happened to her, is she still there? or did she come back,
Rodney.
I believe her forum name was Relocateme, I cant remember her real name, she went to Birmingham and felt as you said in your post, I heard she returned to Canada, I think Anna in Malta had some info on her.
It would be nice to hear from Relocateme again, I just hope she is doing well, she tried and thats the important thing.

I hate to see people go back to the UK only to return, plans dont always work out, Ive done it myself, its very hard and depressing, I was crushed but at the time it looked like my only option and I had plenty of family support, I came back angry with all my dreams down the toilet, as I returned I knew I would return again, little did I know it would take so long, Ive been back 20 years with no date in site as per house sales, I live in Hope.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi everyone, only fish commented on my posts the last time, so maybe you have all forgotten me but I want to let you know, everything is going well, about the driving.........maybe it is because I am older but OMG, everyone drives so fast and the roads are so small hahaha, but I drove the day i got home, but then I did drive in March....only gone on the wrong side once and my dear brother reminded me, thank god he was with me or who knows how far I would have driven.
Not looking forward to winter in NH, the weather has been very mild here, well as far as I am concerned it is, few people have moaned about how cold and I am still out in just a sweater!
Trotty, did you get my email, been thinking of you and is there anything small you want me to bring you back, looking like I may have excess baggage, got some great clothes and shoes in the Charity shop!!!!!!!!! I reckon a rich lady my size dumped a load of,
I still think people can eat here quite cheaply if you buy basic range which I do for my mum and I, love the bread and choices of everything seems far more than US. Lots of good deals in the grocery stores, and lots of Buy one get one free too.
Love the fashion here.
I bet you'll get more posts this time Charleygirl, Thanks for the update, you sound too happy, Good for you! Enjoyyy the rest of your Holidays, I know I would...
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's a treat for anyone who wants to see some wonderful northern countryside. It's a new British comedy starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon and it's on Youtube.

The humor really doesn't get going until part 2, so stick with it (if you like this kind of alternative, dry humor, that is). But even if you don't find it funny, they go up into Lancashire in episode one and the scenery is just lovely. Future episodes apparently feature the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales so they will be a feast for the eyes.

The Trip - Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZm0JFzbL0
The Trip - Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld3qRyifcZI
Hi Sally,
The last thing I want to do is offend you or anyone else on this thread --- and thank you for going through the trouble of finding this on utube, I watched the entire part one and part two of this as you say it is a new British comedy show, I listened and watched and I am afraid even me being a senior citizen British man living in America --- I found the whole thing boring and I couldent hear a single line that was in the least bit funny, ----- Im sorry, but everyone on here that has read my posts must know by now that I am a straight shooter and I speak my mind,
I have never heared of these two actors bydon and ? and the whole thing for me was a compleat waste of time, I love dry humar from UK but the ultimate word is humar, and just my opinion of course only, for me it was not at all funny, but the impersanations of Al pachino and Michael Cain were very good I thought, and the Northern Countryside pics were very beautiful,
I dont know maybe its just me, I also dont like American comedy shows today, all the sit-coms here are to my mind also a waste of time, nothing funny at all about them,
But up until now I had no Idea that through the generations that I have missed, --- the British comedy shows have got bad too,
Please someone take me back in time to the 60's & 70's and 80's in the UK when comedy was actually very funny,
Hancock half hour, Steptoe & Son, Tommy cooper, Norman Wisdom, Benny Hill, and the master of stand up comedy himself Ken Dod, you cant get better then that, ---- and of course all the other stand ups and comedy trios like acts like Morcome and wise and --- oh I just cant remember but there were so many, but they were all so good, and how about all the British variety shows like the Billy Cotton band show, Man what a show that was, he was a little crued but the show was great, and kids could watch everything in those days, no adult rating stuff like now before TV came to the UK we listened to the radio only and there was a great weekly SI-FI drama called (Journey into space) my goodness this was so good, I could not miss a single program, it went on for years while I was a kid,
And what about all the American sit coms these days, nothing even remotley close to funny, even two and a half men and thats starring a major star Martin Sheens Son,
Please somone take me back in time to the real quality funny days in the USA, in the 70's & 80's on TV, like the American version of steptoe & Son, Sanford & Son starring Red Fox, the Jeffersons, All in the family, Lavern & Shirley, Married with children, Threes company, and the tonight show with Johny Carson, there were so many and all were so good, and all the variety shows like the perry como show and the Andy William show, but I think they were more in the 60's, and the Liberache Show on TV, wow what a true showman he was,
The point I am making is simply this, that these days people in genaral wherever they live have excepted a much lower form of comedy and entertainment in Genaral on TV, the trouble is you see is that most TV these days at least in the US is geared to the younger genaration, they do not know of the days when entertainment on TV had to be really good otherwise it flopped within weeks, the standard was so much higher, it had to be to survive, the writers for sit coms in those days were of the highest caliber, you see these days there not, and to find a good one is like finding a needle in a hay stack, Unfortunatly these days the young people think even a very poor sit com is funny --- mostly cause this is all they know or have seen, the fake laughter machines control there mind on TV, --- So Sad,
Oh I do go on dont I --- sorry but please remember this is (ONLY MY OPINION)
Take care everyone and goodnight to all,
Rodney.
Darn it --- my spell check is not working again,
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Love the fashion here.
Hey Charleygirl don't forget about the cheap shower gels and shampoos and stuff, well they are compared to Australia!! And ooohh those pound shops I do love them LOL!!

Has your time over there made you come to any decisions as to your future?
I think the longer you are over there, not like a 2 or 3 week holiday the harder it is to come back and settle down, well it has been for me anyway, 1 year in the UK and 6 months back here trying so very hard to fit in, like a square peg in a round hole........and I don't and I have no idea where my life is going.......at the moment it is on a bit of a hold pattern......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.