Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi , our cards do have the chip in them and fortunately I do have the pin number. I haven't tried to use it since yesterday and at that time did not have pin number with me. Yes, I really like Heinz Salad D.ressing also, used to buy it every so often in Canada.

aes1: I think they take all the regular cards mine was visa but I remember seeing the sign for Mastercard also. My friends house is great I find it a little cool and that perhaps is the way she likes it though. Went for a long walk bread. Another thing I found very interesting here is that they don't refridgerate the eggs, not even in the stores. I did have a Turkish Delight this afternoon, and is it was wonderful.
Easterdawn - Glad you are there, but you should be ashamed of yourself, when I cannot have a Turkish Delight! got to wait till I get back to Shropshire.- but don't you fret! Once we are settled, maybe a free Shropshire holiday might be possible for you! regards dontheturner.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Easterdawn - Glad you are there, but you should be ashamed of yourself, when I cannot have a Turkish Delight! got to wait till I get back to Shropshire.- but don't you fret! Once we are settled, maybe a free Shropshire holiday might be possible for you! regards dontheturner.
Thanks Don, my favourite chocolate bar is Turkish Delight but the Fry's one not the Cadbury one. Things are not looking good at the job, I don't think they will be open much longer, seems that more bills are going unpaid every day, but will hang in there till something either changes or something better comes along. They say that whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teatime
Hi Lestagirl,
the only reason I mentioned New Hampshire is that if you are collecting your UK pension in the US it is indexed, whereas in the commonwealth countries it is not- pension rate stays the same as the day you applied for it. This is hurting a lot of UK pensioners in the commonwealth countries e.g. if you applied for your UK pension in 1986 and it was 25 pounds sterling it would still be the same in 2010 - there is a lot of controversy in regards to this - a bill to remedy this was struck down by the House of Lords and then taken to the European Parliament who did the same but the representatives of British Pensioners abroad are not giving up. Sorry I am so long winded and hope it makes sense.
The limit for getting pension increases, is NOT confined to Commonwealth countries as you suggest, but applies equally, where ever you are - take me for example - I am in Thailand - and all rises were stopped for me too, except Civil Service rises, they are continued ( But Cameron stopped them ALL for this year) - so due to the falling pound, I got HALF my total income this year, in pensions, compared with what we were getting in previous years.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Don, my favourite chocolate bar is Turkish Delight but the Fry's one not the Cadbury one. Things are not looking good at the job, I don't think they will be open much longer, seems that more bills are going unpaid every day, but will hang in there till something either changes or something better comes along. They say that whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger
Within a few days, of our return to Shropshire, there will be a small selection, of Fry's Whip with the Walnut on top? and other disgusting niceties in the pantry, just off the kitchen, waitng for me!!!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow! You couldn't get a house like that round here for less than $550K and that would be a fixer-upper, or a house in a not-so-great neighborhood. If I didn't hate the heat so much, I'd sell up and move there!

Does anyone here know anything about Lancaster? (UK, not PA) We're looking at cities/towns that are accessible to all our family and friends, and that came up as one option, but I've never been there.
Go onto www.Rightmove.co.uk, and look at houses for sale and rent - find one you quite fancy - then check the postcodes into Google Earth, and look down into the streets and houses. if cars are parked all along the curbway- then not so good. (only the shopping area should have that) That is what I have been doing, proir to deciding to goback into the house, I own and have already, but rented out! dontheturner
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Go onto www.Rightmove.co.uk, and look at houses for sale and rent - find one you quite fancy - then check the postcodes into Google Earth, and look down into the streets and houses. if cars are parked all along the curbway- then not so good. (only the shopping area should have that) That is what I have been doing, proir to deciding to goback into the house, I own and have already, but rented out! dontheturner
I do that I wander the streets on google earth. street view. I go by my Mums house and see her car is in the driveway and past Dh's and my old street we lived on, the house he grew up in is for sale on google earth Mine is too far in the cul de sac to see properly.
When I see an ad for a house I'd like I look then too.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

What a week it has been and it's only also lost one of our BT lines as they did not put the paperwork in, so we cannot call out, and we cannot use our credit card machine to take cards for payment. Faulty Towers plus

12 rooms but the owner seemed more batty than the manager I have, so better the devil I know than the one I don't.
Hello Again Easterdawn, Hope you are bearing up! Thailand, is also a Strange place - not quite the easy going place you might imagine to live. yesterday, as I do every 90 days, had to go report to Immigration (80km) - give them proof of abode ( photo of 'Nirvana' and fill out form of abode) The returned for dinner, then the internet connection went off. so bored - Then T.T.&T. came, asking would we like broadband free? Yes please, So job done - (three guys, and a girl) - then told, Oh! no! it will be connected by another team, as another company are buying the internet system! - But ! Hey! it is on today! RIGHT! When you have chance, and time, have a look on Google Earth, type in TF1 3QF, that is where you can come with OH for a holiday - promise! - after March next year. dontheturner
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you hit the nail right on the head cert, visit a museum etc. A read and hear about these types of villages in the the media but where are they, if any of you know of one like this let me know. I might have to take an ad outYou know, perfect village wanted for mature lady to live and work in, must have all of the above or at least some. Willing to relocate. What do you think??
Well! Here I am again!

Then My Girl - SHIFNAL IN SHROPSHIRE - very small town, almost Village like. And on the main London Rail Line, with buses in several directions, to larger TELFORD, or Shrewsbury, ( Historical) or City, of WOLVERHAMPTON< or Birmingham.or country Town of Bridgnorth, with it's flowing River Severn. or into my Town WELLINGTON. with a 200 stall market on Thursdays and Saturdays, and a once a month French Market too. what more could you want? Oh! and the FIVE museums of Ironbridge - too. ASK ME QUESTIONS!!! Please---dontheturner
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I do that too, Go to Google Earth with street view, its the best thing on the computer apart from this site, when I see a house I like in the area I wanna live I go looking to see what its like, and check out the neighbors, look for alleys where people will throw rubbish over, all that kind of stuff. Found a lovely house but the neighbors were pigs, its amusing and interesting.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well! Here I am again!

Then My Girl - SHIFNAL IN SHROPSHIRE - very small town, almost Village like. And on the main London Rail Line, with buses in several directions, to larger TELFORD, or Shrewsbury, ( Historical) or City, of WOLVERHAMPTON< or Birmingham.or country Town of Bridgnorth, with it's flowing River Severn. or into my Town WELLINGTON. with a 200 stall market on Thursdays and Saturdays, and a once a month French Market too. what more could you want? Oh! and the FIVE museums of Ironbridge - too. ASK ME QUESTIONS!!! Please---dontheturner
Hey Don, is yours the one with the caravan in the drive way, lovely house, and seems like a very nice street. The market sounds lovely, one of my favourite things to do is wander around markets, antique and other types, never really buy much but it is fun to look. Is there much work in your town do you think, that seems to be the one hurdle that I cannot seem to get over, here in Scotland.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Aug 5th 2010 at 7:04 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

That's how I've spent half my life the last year.

Last night I found my dream house in my dream location ... pity I'm nowhere near actually being able to move!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You guys crack me up, looking at google earth, do it myself of course and day dream never thought anyone else was.
Gosh i wish we could all have our wishes come true, spent a wonderful couple of hours with trotty yesterday, Oh how I wish I met her 10 years ago, I would not be here now in the situtation, she would have made me go home and do what i wanted too all those years ago.
ED wow about the job, but I suppose on the up side you did get paid and got some more experience to add to your resume.
Don all I can say about you is, what a character you are! Anyone that makes me smile is an okay bloke hahaha.
Fish how you doing I was talking about you to Trotty yesterday.....have you plans in the works. without searching thousands of posts I dont know. Want to share your story etc again briefly.
I wonder how High Speed grandma is doing. And all those gone home since this thread started.
Denise 2 still thinking of you, Denise 1 wow 2 more days.......
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Again Easterdawn, Hope you are bearing up! Thailand, is also a Strange place - not quite the easy going place you might imagine to live. yesterday, as I do every 90 days, had to go report to Immigration (80km) - give them proof of abode ( photo of 'Nirvana' and fill out form of abode) The returned for dinner, then the internet connection went off. so bored - Then T.T.&T. came, asking would we like broadband free? Yes please, So job done - (three guys, and a girl) - then told, Oh! no! it will be connected by another team, as another company are buying the internet system! - But ! Hey! it is on today! RIGHT! When you have chance, and time, have a look on Google Earth, type in TF1 3QF, that is where you can come with OH for a holiday - promise! - after March next year. dontheturner
What about the detached with yellow and red cars in the driveway, is that it? they all look nice in that area no matter what... Good for you Don.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl

Fish how you doing I was talking about you to Trotty yesterday.....have you plans in the works. without searching thousands of posts I dont know. Want to share your story etc again briefly.
Charleygirl, heres the short version.

I have no immediate plans to return to the UK, although I want to go everyday.

I was planning on leaving around 2000, I noticed negative change in my mothers behaviour back in 98/99 and decided to stay here and help, My Mum passed in Jan 09, she had lived in a care home since Christmas Eve 03 and suffered with Dementia, it was very Very sad.
My Dad was lonely but seemed to be doing OK, I had planned in my mind to try and get him to go back to the UK with us, then my Dad got sick and was told he had cancer August 10th 09 and on the the 22nd he passed away, that left me with their home to sell, My parents home has been for sale since October 09, I have not received any offers, I have another open house planned next weekend, then I have my own home to sell, its been a tough year but still I try to be a positive person.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:37 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Go onto www.Rightmove.co.uk, and look at houses for sale and rent - find one you quite fancy - then check the postcodes into Google Earth, and look down into the streets and houses...
We've been doing the same and it's very helpful, keeping in mind that sometimes those shots are old and things may have changed (for the better - or worse!) in the meantime.

Tony and I were just discussing yesterday that once we're back in the UK, we can always revisit our place here in America by using Google Earth, as well.

Wish the satellite views were real-time so I could check up on my kids and grandkids while I'm gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.