Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 22nd 2010, 9:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by bowery
Thank you all for your help. Apart from our dear daughter who is only 27 years old we dont have any real friends. We have tried like hell to achieve this but for what even reason have not been able to . We have the chance of returning for several years and working in Scotland. The job carries a house with it so we will not need to buy straight away. We dont have a lot of money but be able to live with enough and could invest the little we do have to cover the coming and going between hear and Australia. We are trying to sell a heavily mortgaged home at present in outer Sydney and are watching our hard earned asset slip away from us as we cant afford it now due to work cut backs interest rate hikes etc. We are desparte to go home and r connect with family and a country we left twenty years ago. I would love to chat to anyone on skype about all this - any takers out there?
I think you should go for this wonderful opportunity and just look on it as an adventure. You have the job and house already lined up for you. Hey and if it doesn't work out as well as hoped, you can always come back to Australia and start again, probably be a few hiccups but that's life. Better to have tried than to sit there and do nothing wondering what if.........

You could sit here for another 20 years wondering. And who knows you may be too old by then or not in good health and the opportunity would have passed you by................your daughter is young enough and has no children to pay for to visit you, so sounds like the ideal situation.

Good luck with your house BTW I know it is really hard here at the minute on all fronts despite the perception STILL in the UK about Australia being the lucky country.

Too many over there watch Home and Away and think we all live in big mansions or apartments overlooking Bondi Beach having fun in the sun with fantastic jobs driving around in in our convertibles LOL!!!
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to ask ED to post and let us know how she is. I hope things have improved for her.
Hello Rodney getting close to your moving time.

Those of you wondering about your children I think it depends on the children and what they are doing. I have three children all in the early thirties. The two boys live quite a distance from us and we dont see them very often. The married one is busy with his family and his wife has a very extended and demanding family, so much as I would have liked over the years we have not seen them for any major holiday. So nothing lost there.

I love my two Grandsons but they are also very involved in family events so we do not get to see them very often and most times it flying visits. They would like us to move closer to them but really it would be for babysitting and much as I love my Grandchildren I do not want to become the unpaid babysitter. When the grandchildren reach teenage years they are gone. So are you suppose to try and start your life then. At my age I would be ready for the grave.
Our oldest son is very independent and does alot of travelling for his job and when he's not at work he's working on his house and all the grown up toys he buys himself. Will I miss them both of course I will but they have their lives and we really are not part of it. Visits perhaps 6 times a year.
Do we sit around waiting for those visits or get on with our lives.

Our Daughter is a different matter she lives close and visits often but she want us to move back to the UK she knows how much I miss it. She talks about joining us when we have settled I would love that but who knows what could happen while we are waiting for our house to sell.

My family in England cannot wait for us to return its not just family its being able to do what I want to when I want to. I dont want to sit in my house and be stuck here like I have been for the past 10 years. Living in NH is not easy its very spread out and you have to drive miles to get anywhere. No popping on a bus, there are none.

Those of you who are in your 50's and want to go back home do it because life can hand you some nasty turns. I think we waited too long now my husbands health has turned really bad and we go from day to day hoping the pills work. Doctors not sure what is wrong, now they think he has parkinsons. I wish we had made the move much earlier but I was always afraid of taking the step and my husband was always half hearted about it.

So my advice is make your plans look into where you want to go and live and let those around you know what you are going to do that way they will get use to it.
Old May 23rd 2010, 4:07 am
Just Joined

bowery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Just want to ask ED to post and let us know how she is. I hope things have improved for her.

Those of you wondering about your children I think it depends on the children and what they are doing. I have three children all in the early thirties. The two boys live quite a distance from us and we dont see them very often. The married one is busy with his family and his wife has a very extended and demanding family, so much as I would have liked over the years we have not seen them for any major holiday. So nothing lost there.

I love my two Grandsons but they are also very involved in family events so we do not get to see them very often and most times it flying visits. They would like us to move closer to them but really it would be for babysitting and much as I love my Grandchildren I do not want to become the unpaid babysitter. When the grandchildren reach teenage years they are gone. So are you suppose to try and start your life then. At my age I would be ready for the grave.
Our oldest son is very independent and does alot of travelling for his job and when he's not at work he's working on his house and all the grown up toys he buys himself. Will I miss them both of course I will but they have their lives and we really are not part of it. Visits perhaps 6 times a year.

Our Daughter is a different matter she lives close and visits often but she want us to move back to the UK she knows how much I miss it. She talks about joining us when we have settled I would love that but who knows what could happen while we are waiting for our house to sell.

My family in England cannot wait for us to return its not just family its being able to do what I want to when I want to. I dont want to sit in my house and be stuck here like I have been for the past 10 years. Living in NH is not easy its very spread out and you have to drive miles to get anywhere. No popping on a bus, there are none.

Those of you who are in your 50's and want to go back home do it because life can hand you some nasty turns. I think we waited too long now my husbands health has turned really bad and we go from day to day hoping the pills work. Doctors not sure what is wrong, now they think he has parkinsons. I wish we had made the move much earlier but I was always afraid of taking the step and my husband was always half hearted about it.

So my advice is make your plans look into where you want to go and live and let those around you know what you are going to do that way they will get use to it.
You know you have describedour situation very well. We hardly ever see our 30 year old son even when he is in Australia and when her does come he normally sleeps half the day away bless him . He now lives in London. As to our daughter she is a nurse and works hard. One day she will have children I am sure bur i am not the type to find my life fullfillment is simply being a grandparent as much as i am sure i will love the kids. Both my husband and I want more for ourselves interms of friendships and work than we have found in Australia.
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to NH a few times TT, and found it to be..............mmmm.......well very uninteresting and those winters!!!

I'm not sure if you posted this before but where are you and what made you decide to live there and when you get back home where will you be living then? Somewhere a wee bit warmer no doubt!
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by WAWA
Hi exbrummy, Greetings to you and welcome! I too, watched this forum, I spent a rainy weekend greedily devouring everyone's journey, their ups and downs and all their achievements. Everyone is so nice, I feel as though I know them all...
I have also lived in South Africa - I actually grew up in Zimbabwe, and lived in Jo'burg for 13 years. Now in Canada and unhappily watching and waiting for the right moment to make our escape back to UK!!
WAWA, thanks for your response - wow SA to Canada, bit of an extreme change in climate. Was it a job opportunity that enticed you to cooler parts. Job opportunities, or lack of, is what's held us back for years, now retirement is here we haven't got those concerns. Have one child in OZ and 2 here but they have their own lives and their children are teenagers now so I think I need to take the advice of all the good souls that post on here and just think of what's best for us now and, in my heart, I know I need to be home in the UK. Good luck with your "right moment". Hope it comes soon.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

I am so sorry to hear your dear hubby's health is not improving yet. That's so tough for you both I am sure, especially being stuck in a place you don't want to be. Have you considered the fact that just the environment you are now in could be making things worse? By that I mean I am a great believer in the mind and emotions affecting and often even causing a physical illness. I have spent years in training and studying just this, and from my own personal experience, I can vouch for there being so much truth in it. When we feel negative, our body reflects it. Perhaps it would be better for his health if you did make that giant leap back to the UK - after all, considering cost alone, he would be better on the National Health. I can't begin to imagine how much money you are having to spend on his tests etc in the US. Have you ever written down in black and white how much you would actually gain/lose financially in future medical bills, if you did leave the house (foreclose) and go home??

Just a thought, and whatever you choose to do, know that we are all here with you 100 percent, wishing and praying for the best for you both.:fingerscross ed:
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Anna, I have never read Winnie the Pooh books, but maybe it's about time I started LOL!

I think I have been guilty of being a few of those characters and maybe it's time for me to be like Pooh, sit back, eat the honey and go with the flow.

I know I am going to get a good job eventually, I'm just finding it so frustrating to get these knockbacks without even an interview. It does affect your self confidence especially as we get older.......

Being on here is really the best place to vent, knowing others are going through or will go through all these emotions we have.

I was just having a bad day yesterday as also having my son and his problems in my face again doesn't help.

Good luck with that job, sounds great working in a hotel with a spa, oooh you will probably get free treatments, now wouldn't that be lovely.
Yes, I agree, it is great to vent on this site!!!!!

Don't feel so bad about not hearing anything back from potential employers. This has NOTHING to do with your age, just ask some of the younger unemployed - it is vary rare to get replies these days, no matter what the company is or field you are searching in. There are so many of us out there, in all countries, looking for work, that those hiring are just not in a position to reply to any one other than those they wish to interview. It's just a sign of the times!!!!! I send applications out every day and hear nothing back. Not to worry, we will BOTH find the job of our dreams given time and patience - and when we look back in the future, this time period will be just a distant memory (I already can't remember what I did day before yesterday, even though I know I had tons of fun!!) Hmm, free spa treatments....would that be worth working nights???
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, I know this is a Very Difficult time for you, you are making some very tough decisions right now.

Thanks for the explanation of your situation, everything you say makes lots of sense, I'm sorry your husband is still having a difficult time, I have to echo Anna's thought's, I know it wouldn't seem right to leave your home and go back to the UK, but would it make any financial sense and maybe medical sense for you to leave... Maybe your daughter could take care of all your legal matters as far as the home goes...

I don't know your financial situation or wether your home is paid for or not etc, but if you don't plan on leaving the USA I would look for a Good Elder attorney in your area, Id look at getting a revocable living trust, that way you and your husband are protected, you never know what might happen, Ours cost about $750 10 years ago, I wanted to protect my Mum from hassles of probate etc, should my Dad pass away, little did I know my Mum would get ill and pass away first...

The above advice is also for others staying in the USA, you need to be protected.

Sincerely Good Luck...
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum

I feel so sorry for the Americans who have worked all their lives then something happens an accident or something and they loose everything, it's so unfair. (my husband works with some amazing people that this has happened to) They pay into health insurance for years then they loose it when they need it most.
This is my biggest fear, or being put in a care facility, You can lose everything you have worked for basically over night through no fault of your own, Its just disgusting, if the common man would think this out instead of believing or praying that everything would be alright, The filthy rich don't live like this, they are protected, its only the poor working class that gets eaten up and spit out like this, its time the people in the country realized we need a better medical insurance system so they don't go bankrupt over a medical problem, I've spoken to many people but they are so against the idea, they just cant see it happening to them and fear a NHS system with all the horror stories they have been told by the politicians and Media ...
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

It's been wonderful to share others feelings on leaving their grown up children and relocating to the UK. Especially bowery who I think is on the same page as me.

I have wanted to go home for 28 years ever since I had post natal depression with my 2nd child. But my husband was adamant this was the best place to bring up children etc. After all these years all I can say is it's a different place but cetainly not a better place.

I spent 3 months in the UK last year and was determined to go home and make plans to relocate. But I am having cold feet for at 61 what a wrench. It would mean leaving my daughter, husband and two grandsons. She would have no help and I'm a very big believer in extended families roles in the well being of all family members. My son is single and has had problems with relationships and let downs from friends. He doesn't cope at times and I would have guilt at leaving him. I coped with 3 children under 4 years but at what cost. The strain eventually took its toll and I am now divorced.

I am now weighing up what I would gain from living in the UK as opposed to Oz. The thought of spending my 'golden years' in this place is not attractive at all. Senior citizens are a forgotten spieces in Oz. I have visions of myself being stuck inside a flat or nursing home with no stimulation etc. At least in the UK their are so many things for seniors and singles eg. holidays, bus trips, U3a and good transport to the shops etc when you can no longer drive. My sister has a ball going out all the time to different clubs and bus trips etc.

I have yet to make the decision but this site certainly provokes discussion and thought processes.

To think one small decision all those years back has caused me so much sorrow is difficult at times to cope with. I hope the rest of you make the right decision for you and find the happiness you deserve.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by I like tea
It's been wonderful to share others feelings on leaving their grown up children and relocating to the UK. Especially bowery who I think is on the same page as me.

I have wanted to go home for 28 years ever since I had post natal depression with my 2nd child. But my husband was adamant this was the best place to bring up children etc. After all these years all I can say is it's a different place but cetainly not a better place.

I spent 3 months in the UK last year and was determined to go home and make plans to relocate. But I am having cold feet for at 61 what a wrench. It would mean leaving my daughter, husband and two grandsons. She would have no help and I'm a very big believer in extended families roles in the well being of all family members. My son is single and has had problems with relationships and let downs from friends. He doesn't cope at times and I would have guilt at leaving him. I coped with 3 children under 4 years but at what cost. The strain eventually took its toll and I am now divorced.

I am now weighing up what I would gain from living in the UK as opposed to Oz. The thought of spending my 'golden years' in this place is not attractive at all. Senior citizens are a forgotten spieces in Oz. I have visions of myself being stuck inside a flat or nursing home with no stimulation etc. At least in the UK their are so many things for seniors and singles eg. holidays, bus trips, U3a and good transport to the shops etc when you can no longer drive. My sister has a ball going out all the time to different clubs and bus trips etc.

I have yet to make the decision but this site certainly provokes discussion and thought processes.

To think one small decision all those years back has caused me so much sorrow is difficult at times to cope with. I hope the rest of you make the right decision for you and find the happiness you deserve.
Yes that decision all those years ago when we were young and gung ho and excited about starting a new life has cost many of us dearly..........

Whereabouts in Oz are you I Like Tea?

Barb
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by aes1
Yes, I agree, it is great to vent on this site!!!!!

Don't feel so bad about not hearing anything back from potential employers. This has NOTHING to do with your age, just ask some of the younger unemployed - it is vary rare to get replies these days, no matter what the company is or field you are searching in. There are so many of us out there, in all countries, looking for work, that those hiring are just not in a position to reply to any one other than those they wish to interview. It's just a sign of the times!!!!! I send applications out every day and hear nothing back. Not to worry, we will BOTH find the job of our dreams given time and patience - and when we look back in the future, this time period will be just a distant memory (I already can't remember what I did day before yesterday, even though I know I had tons of fun!!) Hmm, free spa treatments....would that be worth working nights???
Anna you are sooo right, just going throught a bad emotional patch at the moment. We WILL both of us find great jobs and a better future.

Free spa treatments? Mmmm neck massges, facials, pedicures, manicures sitting at the poolside sipping on a Pina Colada or a cuppa tea, sounds like heaven to me.
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

I'm in Queensland Beedubya. Lots of sun but not much else except if you like Rugby league.
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

bowery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I like tea
I'm in Queensland Beedubya. Lots of sun but not much else except if you like Rugby league.
We live down in the Sydney area and frankly find it very very boring . There is nothing to do that doesnt cost a lot of money . it was funny I had my citizenship ceremony not long ago and after it the mayor said to us all " well go and enjoy something truly Australian -- a steak and beer" I thought gees thats about the strenght of it isnt it. we had a good laugh.Dont get me wrong there is much here to admire but its called gum trees and sea!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:36 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

I too was always afraid of taking the step. This website has been such a huge help for me, finding all these others that are experiencing the same fears as I am. If it wasn't for this British Expats website I would never have obtained my American citizenship. I would not have been making the move I am about to make, which is quitting my job and going to spend 6 months in Hong Kong with my daughter and her family. Then I am going to England, alone, to try and get a job and see what happens in the new year.
My husband who is American does not want to live in the UK, so for now we have agreed that he will stay and keep our house going in the US, while I go off and 'do my thing'. We have no idea what will happen next year when I realize which country I want to be in for the rest of my life.
But I have been putting this decision off for years, and now at 54 I HAVE to go and do this otherwise another 10 years of complacency and denying my real feelings will go by and then I will really feel too old to leave.

I now have dual citizenship which means I can come back and live in the US if I want. Or I can stay in the UK. I like having that option, after spending the last 20 years in the US the UK may not be where I decide to end my time. But I don't think so. The pull is so strong to go back and see.

Good luck to everyone trying to make the decision. I will have no income for 6 months or more. Nothing going into a pension. No health insurance. I am terrified of giving up my relatively well paid job. But I am not happy and there is more to life than just existing to pay a mortgage.

Sue.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; May 23rd 2010 at 12:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.