Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 16th 2010, 7:49 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Good for you. You are a very strong woman. I wish you the very best. Sounds like a great adventure, however, I certainly understand the dithering.

I am doing that right now. Have been doing it for the last few years. I'm afraid that when I move home I will not be able to find a job. I have always been self-sufficient, but the unknown does scare me. I was just talking to a friend about it, and I told her that I would go in a heartbeat (only one week of school left for me, I am a teacher), but I have a very negative family member at the other end that makes me feel awful everytime I talk to this family member. Which, makes me question myself continuously as I overanalyze everything..................I am sitting here with a feeling of excitement in my belly, but it is tinged with fear. The unknown makes me excited and fearful!

I love this quote: Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile...initially scared me to death. (Betty Bender)

Oh my god Marmalade...the negative family member needs to stop! Until they have lived in your shoes they have no idea how things are in your life. Unless you have really experienced homesickness, as we have, then you have no idea how it affects your whole life.

I worry desperately. I am panicking now just thinking about having to go to England in December/January after a 6 month hiatus and then having to find work. But the option is to stay where I am and it's just not where I want to be. I have to try this. We are getting older and each year it is harder. At least if we go now we can get another 10 years or so of work, hopefully. The fear won't lessen if we leave the decision to later, will it?

I have negative family members too who say "What?!! Are you nuts! What the heck do you want to come back HERE for? High taxes, high fuel, high cost of living, high this and that..." and so it goes on. But it's not just about the cost of everything. It's about being where you need to be.

We should all move back together and rent a place so that we can split the costs. My younger daughter is letting me stay at her place, but of course the boyfried doesn't like that idea to much. Good thing its HER place and she has the final say! But I can't stay there forever.
It's taking a huge leap into the unknown. But to paraphrase your favourite quote, it wouldn't be worthwhile if we weren't afraid. It wouldn't be any 'fun' or adventure! It would be like day to day life.

Old May 16th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Oh my god Marmalade...the negative family member needs to stop! Until they have lived in your shoes they have no idea how things are in your life. Unless you have really experienced homesickness, as we have, then you have no idea how it affects your whole life.

I worry desperately. I am panicking now just thinking about having to go to England in December/January after a 6 month hiatus and then having to find work. But the option is to stay where I am and it's just not where I want to be. I have to try this. We are getting older and each year it is harder. At least if we go now we can get another 10 years or so of work, hopefully. The fear won't lessen if we leave the decision to later, will it?

I have negative family members too who say "What?!! Are you nuts! What the heck do you want to come back HERE for? High taxes, high fuel, high cost of living, high this and that..." and so it goes on. But it's not just about the cost of everything. It's about being where you need to be.

We should all move back together and rent a place so that we can split the costs. My younger daughter is letting me stay at her place, but of course the boyfried doesn't like that idea to much. Good thing its HER place and she has the final say! But I can't stay there forever.
It's taking a huge leap into the unknown. But to paraphrase your favourite quote, it wouldn't be worthwhile if we weren't afraid. It wouldn't be any 'fun' or adventure! It would be like day to day life.

Thanks for that

I kind of gatecrashed this thread as I'm 43, but if I keep dithering I will reach 50 before a decision is made, ha, ha

You are right about them not knowing how we feel. For me too, it is not where I want to be (not right now anyway). I feel that I am just existing right now and waiting for the next step. I call it the "in-between time" where I am just plodding along and not doing what I want to do. I keep waiting to move on, but keep stopping myself. I need to be courageous and JUST DO IT!

It doesn't help that everytime I call home I get the same thing -" There's no teaching jobs here!!!!" Well, guess what, there's none here either, and I don't particularly like the one I have...................which, on one hand makes it easier to leave, and on the other hand people will think I am nuts for leaving a "safe" position. Can't win for trying

Anyway, I think you are very brave to be making the move, and very smart too. Going ahead of your husband is a great move, and if things don't work out then you always have the US to come back to without completely cutting ties. Good luck to you
Old May 16th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Wawa, good luck. It IS very daunting. At least your hubby is coming back with you. My American hubby is afraid of not getting a job in the UK, so he is loathe to sell our house in case neither of us get work in the UK. So he is agreeable to me doing it this way. I get settled, get a job, bank account etc, then if that is where I want to settle, we will take the next step, whatever that may be. It is scary, but then so is the thoughts of living the rest of my life here in the US when that doesn't appeal to me, the older I get!
I really hope we are lucky in getting jobs! I am prepared to do anything to get some money coming in. My daughter is working on my CV for me.
She has a friend who works in HR as an analyst, so she sort of knows what they are looking for on CV's so hopefully that will help.
We shall see.

This entire thread has been absolutely incredibly helpful and inspiring. I spend a lot of my free time going back through all the old posts.
I love this thread, and always on it! Sometimes giggling at all the old memories everyone has, and I almost feel as though I know everyone so well!

My hubby is Canadian and worries sick about getting a job there. We have two houses in Canada, and will rent them out (basically they are our old age pensions), and we also plan to buy a house in UK after about a year or so when we have decided where to settle. I have also been in touch with a company and had some advice on updating my CV to British standards - now its all done and ready to go. I have one or two contacts there that I will approach once I know when I will be arriving. Its pretty impossible to get a position before you arrive. All you can do is put out feelers.
Will you have to get a settlement visa for your husband then? I also have to arrange this once I get there and find a job. I hear its fairly easy and shouldnt take that long. Lots to do!!
Time for a glass of wine!
Old May 16th 2010, 9:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Folks,

Having just finally had time to sit down and read some posts I thought I would send an update on our fast moving plans. It is really encouraging to read of everyone's experiences and wonderful advice when one is going through such a life changing experience.

We were not planning on listing our apartment for a few weeks but then some friends approached us and said they would like to buy the place. It is now sold and we will most likely be moving out by August 15th. dependant on their buyers.

Have been busy selling some furniture and making lists of what to take and not take and store and not store etc. We have a place to stay here in Vancouver after we leave our home and get organized etc. for the big move.

Today we have started with the Settlement Visa for my partner. I know I will be asking questions to those who have gone before on the wording on certain questions.

Have been searching the length and width of the UK for B&B businesses and also houses which could be converted to a B&B. The North, the South West and Wales are still the most affordable we have found. Looking for 4-6 rentable rooms with En-suite facilities with private owner's quarters. Of two minds whether to go for a rural property or a seaside property. If anyone sees anything or hears of anything under around 350000 pounds would love to know.
Well back to making lists and form filling.
Have a great weekend everyone wherever you are.
Cheers, David
Hi David

Well good luck with your move. I did think of you because I know of a property for sale in Barmouth, the owners were retiring and told my sisters and I when we stayed there just before I came back to Oz. I just looked it up, but it is 435,000 pounds, but what a beautiful place it is. Very tastefully decorated, it's more like a boutique small hotel than a B and B. Check it out anyway, as it also has a shop and a small flat attached as well as the owners accomodation. Lots of potential.

http://www.businessesforsale.com/Thr...-For-Sale.aspx

http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/hotels/aberhouse.html

Last edited by Beedubya; May 16th 2010 at 9:29 pm.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:21 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
Will you have to get a settlement visa for your husband then? I also have to arrange this once I get there and find a job. I hear its fairly easy and shouldnt take that long. Lots to do!!
Time for a glass of wine!
Glass of wine is a fantastic idea. I am joining you in one.

Settlement visa? I don't know what that is . I shall be looking into it.

My husband is a master electrician, but that won't do him any good in the UK. They have a whole different electrical system. But he's a smart guy, he will pick it up. Otherwise, we will both be working at Tesco's. That shouldn't be a problem, Tesco's is taking over England one shop at a time.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:25 pm
I can't Re-Member

Thanks for that

I kind of gatecrashed this thread as I'm 43, but if I keep dithering I will reach 50 before a decision is made, ha, ha

You are right about them not knowing how we feel. For me too, it is not where I want to be (not right now anyway). I feel that I am just existing right now and waiting for the next step. I call it the "in-between time" where I am just plodding along and not doing what I want to do. I keep waiting to move on, but keep stopping myself. I need to be courageous and JUST DO IT!

It doesn't help that everytime I call home I get the same thing -" There's no teaching jobs here!!!!" Well, guess what, there's none here either, and I don't particularly like the one I have...................which, on one hand makes it easier to leave, and on the other hand people will think I am nuts for leaving a "safe" position. Can't win for trying

Anyway, I think you are very brave to be making the move, and very smart too. Going ahead of your husband is a great move, and if things don't work out then you always have the US to come back to without completely cutting ties. Good luck to you
Marmalade, if there are no teaching jobs in the US nor in the UK then you have nothing to lose! Heeheheheh.

Of course there is a downside to leaving the safe, comfortable life we have all built here in our adopted countries. But there isn't any reason why we can't achieve that again. We have the experience now and know what we don't want, right!
My SIL, (the negative person) can kiss my anchor. She will be the first one knocking on my door when I am settled I can tell you. Trying to borrow a quid or ten.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Glass of wine is a fantastic idea. I am joining you in one.

Settlement visa? I don't know what that is . I shall be looking into it.

My husband is a master electrician, but that won't do him any good in the UK. They have a whole different electrical system. But he's a smart guy, he will pick it up. Otherwise, we will both be working at Tesco's. That shouldn't be a problem, Tesco's is taking over England one shop at a time.
Hi Grandma...The settlement visa is something your hubby will need since he is a USA citizen. He will need this before joining you in the UK. I think it used to be called a spouse visa, and the forms are tedious, I hear, however from all accounts it should not take too long to process once submitted, especially if you have been married for a while. My hubby is a tool and die maker & CNC machine programmer. I am praying he can get a reasonable job there. Otherwise, as you say, Tesco's... Actually I wouldnt mind a library, as long as they dont mind me pouring a glass of wine while a read?!
Old May 16th 2010, 9:35 pm
I can't Re-Member

Hi Grandma...The settlement visa is something your hubby will need since he is a USA citizen. He will need this before joining you in the UK. I think it used to be called a spouse visa, and the forms are tedious, I hear, however from all accounts it should not take too long to process once submitted, especially if you have been married for a while. My hubby is a tool and die maker & CNC machine programmer. I am praying he can get a reasonable job there. Otherwise, as you say, Tesco's... Actually I wouldnt mind a library, as long as they dont mind me pouring a glass of wine while a read?!
A library and a glass of wine sounds like heaven to me! Only trouble is I would resent the patrons when they disturbed me from my reading!

Thanks for the info on the spouse visa.
We have been married 9 years this year so I think we should be ok. I have dual citizenship, so I can come and go as I please.

Thanks to this website I obtained my US passport. I had no intention of doing that at one time, but I am so glad I have now. It has given me this option of leaving and returning.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

A library and a glass of wine sounds like heaven to me! Only trouble is I would resent the patrons when they disturbed me from my reading!

Thanks for the info on the spouse visa.
We have been married 9 years this year so I think we should be ok. I have dual citizenship, so I can come and go as I please.

Thanks to this website I obtained my US passport. I had no intention of doing that at one time, but I am so glad I have now. It has given me this option of leaving and returning.
Certainly good to have dual citizenship. I am waiting for my Canadian, but they take so L O N G here - about 18months! I have been waiting well over a year, so if it does not happen soon, I aint hanging around. Believe US takes only a few months, so surprised and confused why it cant be the same here. I have only been here for 5 years, and married for 5 years too.
Where in the US are you? I might have missed that bit of info in earlier messages? Sorry.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you. You are a very strong woman. I wish you the very best. Sounds like a great adventure, however, I certainly understand the dithering.

I am doing that right now. Have been doing it for the last few years. I'm afraid that when I move home I will not be able to find a job. I have always been self-sufficient, but the unknown does scare me. I was just talking to a friend about it, and I told her that I would go in a heartbeat (only one week of school left for me, I am a teacher), but I have a very negative family member at the other end that makes me feel awful everytime I talk to this family member. Which, makes me question myself continuously as I overanalyze everything..................I am sitting here with a feeling of excitement in my belly, but it is tinged with fear. The unknown makes me excited and fearful!

I love this quote:

Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile...initially scared me to death. (Betty Bender)
Don't worry Marmalade, I have some negative people in my family too, the truth is negative people can stop you doing anything and everything, I think they are down because they think everyone else in the world has it so much better than them, I think its built into some peoples personality, they feel better looking on the gloomy side of everything.

"Negativity breeds negativity", That has to be true.

I've been influenced by negative before and really regretted it.

Always follow your heart or gut feeling, it wont steer you far wrong.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salopian
Hello everyone. I don't know whether I qualify for this thread as I'm only 49 but I just wanted to say I'm in a similar position to a lot of people who post here - returning to the UK later in life after being away for a long time, in my case 19 years in Australia, and I just wanted to thank you all and tell you what an absolute inspiration you all are. When things get tough and I just feel like giving up I just pop on here and read a few posts and my determination to finally return HOME returns. Thanks again, all of you, and I wish everybody the best of luck with their dreams.

Kevin

49 is close enough for us pal, even 45 is good, heck anyone can join in here, I'm happy to see you here, there is a lot to learn. Welcome Kevin
Old May 16th 2010, 10:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Believe US takes only a few months
I just snorted coffee out of my nose!

Just teasing, but my US citizenship took almost 2 years and was an absolute nightmare despite the fact that we used a lawyer. I got citizenship in Canada too and the two countries seem about as bad in terms of speed.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi David

Well good luck with your move. I did think of you because I know of a property for sale in Barmouth, the owners were retiring and told my sisters and I when we stayed there just before I came back to Oz. I just looked it up, but it is 435,000 pounds, but what a beautiful place it is. Very tastefully decorated, it's more like a boutique small hotel than a B and B. Check it out anyway, as it also has a shop and a small flat attached as well as the owners accomodation. Lots of potential.

http://www.businessesforsale.com/Thr...-For-Sale.aspx

http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/hotels/aberhouse.html
Thank you so much for posting that. It looks great and we have actually been checking places in the Barmouth area but had not come accross that one probably because I entered a max. price under that. There is another property we had been looking at there overlooking the estuary in Barmouth.

Hoping to be able to get over for 3-4 weeks in September to explore different areas.
I keep coming back to the computer to search for properties when I know I should be packing or working more on the Settlement Visa application. If we don't get that then plans will have to change considerably. Property hunting is so much more fun.
Thanks again,
David
Old May 16th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Hey there T1,

Was just thinking of you and wondering if you're ok?

Last time we caught up I think we'd both decided to stay put until our boys were a bit older so we could move to York without them. I felt so much relief after we made that decision a few weeks ago, but now my OH says he thinks we should have stuck to the original plan and concentrate on getting back to the UK asap with our 16 y/o. He honestly thinks we will not be able to make the break away from him even when he's 19 and that I'm kidding myself if I think I will be able to go through with it. He's probably right as I can't even begin to comprehend how I will feel when it comes time to leave him in Aus - we are a very close family. OH says we will be making a big mistake in waiting for him to reach 19 as we have already spent almost 9 yrs feeling that our lives are incomplete in Aus. Everything he says makes sense and my heart wants to go along with what he thinks, but like you I feel sick at the thought of dragging our son back to a life that he doesn't relate to as he has no real memory of the UK as we left when he was only 7. We've had a couple of trips back there and he thinks that the UK seems like a harsh and unfriendly place (he saw a couple of intimidating groups of teens when we were visiting when he was 13 and I think he is basing the whole of the UK on those experiences). We told him a few weeks ago that we'd decided to stay in Aus til he's older and he was so relieved and now I feel like we will end up going back on our word. I feel sooooo terrible right now - being stuck between a rock & a hard place is truly heart-breaking

I hope you are having more luck sticking to your decisions than we are T1. Also I was looking into areas in York again and as much as we like the look of Rawcliffe, it seems to be in a high risk flood area according to one of the government environmental websites, so we might have to consider moving further out than that to avoid the rivers that flow through York. I heard that if you live in one of the flood prone areas it takes the value of the house down but the cost of insurance way up....will look into it in more depth though once we are closer to taking the plunge back.

I'm wondering how Brits1 is doing too - it feels like ages since she left and yet it's only 2 weeks! Hope she's having a ball over there!

Hello Basil Brush, Love that name, love that character...

I think your husband is right, now is the time, I doubt it will get any easier as time goes on, chances are your son will go to college or get a job, maybe find a girlfriend, soon after that babies appear, and then you will be stuck, this really happens and ties many people down emotionally.

Kids are Kids, they think they know, lets say your son really wants to go back, nothing is stopping him from going back in the future if he so wishes.

I loved that 16 - 20 age in the Uk so much to do and so much fun, I hated to leave.

I say follow your gut feeling, If you've already wasted 9 years that 9 years too much.

Good Luck...
Old May 16th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Folks,

Having just finally had time to sit down and read some posts I thought I would send an update on our fast moving plans. It is really encouraging to read of everyone's experiences and wonderful advice when one is going through such a life changing experience.

We were not planning on listing our apartment for a few weeks but then some friends approached us and said they would like to buy the place. It is now sold and we will most likely be moving out by August 15th. dependant on their buyers.

Have been busy selling some furniture and making lists of what to take and not take and store and not store etc. We have a place to stay here in Vancouver after we leave our home and get organized etc. for the big move.

Today we have started with the Settlement Visa for my partner. I know I will be asking questions to those who have gone before on the wording on certain questions.

Have been searching the length and width of the UK for B&B businesses and also houses which could be converted to a B&B. The North, the South West and Wales are still the most affordable we have found. Looking for 4-6 rentable rooms with En-suite facilities with private owner's quarters. Of two minds whether to go for a rural property or a seaside property. If anyone sees anything or hears of anything under around 350000 pounds would love to know.
Well back to making lists and form filling.
Have a great weekend everyone wherever you are.
Cheers, David
Congrat David, Thats what I call a lucky break, Good for you, you are well on your way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.