Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 17th 2010, 2:05 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I love animals. Would rather work with them than humans. It's quite funny, I'm always looking at Edinburgh Zoo's vacancy site
Oh my. Me too, (love animals I mean). I would much rather work with animals than humans. I wish I had realized that years ago though then I could have done something about it.
The closest I got was volunteering at the local SPCA but unfortunately that doesn't pay the bills.
I want to go back to Africa to do a volunteer programme at a rescue/shelter facility for wildlife.
That is my next big plan.
Old May 17th 2010, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
Well, we bought our tickets today, flying out of Melbourne on the 20th July. Truth to tell I don't know whether to laugh or cry, there just seems so much to do and not enough time to do it, but I suppose we just have to 'not sweat the small stuff' and just go with the flow

We haven't experienced any negativity from the UK side (yet) but a fair bit from Oz. The usual "you'll be back" and "it's sooo expensive there" mixed in with the "but it's so cold' and "there's no work you know." I don't even bother replying now, just grin, and that seems to flummox them. Ah, happy days
Old May 17th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

I can't believe how many posts have been written since yesterday...........pages!!!!! I would love to reply to all, but won't even bother trying, way too many!!! Can you imagine how many people we would get at our planned meet up in the UK?? Malta might not be big enough to hold us all!!!

First, welcome, welcome, welcome, to all the newbies. I have always said this is the best thread on this site, now I am saying it is the best thread/forum on the entire web!!! For people like us that is

Second, for all those women dillying and dallying over their decision - who have not yet reached menopauseYou think you are worrying now???? Just you wait On the other hand, after that midlife crisis (applies to men too), we do tend to be a little more wise about our whole situation. Might not make it easier to follow through with our decision, but I think it seems to make more sense to go ahead and do it anyway. We realize we are not superwomen/men and we do only have one short life to fulfil our dreams, and in the end, we can only take care of ourselves.

Third, I read a lot of posts expressing anxiety about finding a job. Very valid point. It doesn't matter where we are, how old we are, what we do, in this new economic climate and generation, it is hard. However, I do believe, from my own personal experience, that attitude and perspective can influence everything. After all, we attract what we think, everything begins with our thoughts. So, for me, here in Malta, jobless, I am not worrying any more. When you are where your heart/soul wants and needs to be, somehow that makes the world of difference to how you feel about surviving. That's the key to open the door to all your dreams coming true. If we continue to think negative though, we will be dragged back into this twilight zone of worry and anxiety. I am not going back to that!!! On this side of the door there is hope, laughter, friendly people, a beautiful world!!! Yes, the other bad stuff still exists, but that's not what I look at or dwell on any more.

So, if I - a 59 year old divorced, introverted female, with no pension, just a few savings (which I am spending) , no solid career in my background, no family here in Malta, no job ( and no Tescos here unfortunately!!) can give up a car, house, friends, leave my sons in the US, and take that huge leap across the Atlantic all by myself (mentally, emotionally and physically) and (7 weeks later) feel happier and more full of life than I have felt in a long, long time, then ANYONE can do it!!!!

Bottom line, we are all perfect in our imperfections - that means stop beating ourselves up about everything we think/do, thought/did, and just DO IT. Not easy, but well worth it in the long run!!!!! And keep getting encouragement from all the wonderful people on this thread!!!

Sue - we could share a place here in Malta during winter and spring, and in England summer and autumn!!!! When I win the Maltese lottery!!!! Better go out and buy a ticket!!
Old May 17th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

My weekend in Malta. Saturday an expat with a car took me to a garden centre. I was surprised to find it very much like an English one. Same kind of layout, just not a coffee shop with it. Bought a basil herb for my balcony. Reasonably priced considering everything tends to be expensive on this island. We stopped at an outdoor cafe for a pot of tea and tira misu. How I love being back in Europe where you can drink and eat a yummy cake in a cafe in the middle of the afternoon!!! Today I woke up with the sun and the church bells ringing - happens on the hour, off the hour, you never know when!! I decided to take a 47 cent bus ride into the city of Valletta. Watching all the tourists getting on and off, asking directions, now I am beginning to feel less like one of them, and more like I actually belong here!!! Though I do still carry my torn and very much worse for wear map with me!! I took my picnic lunch and ate it overlooking the Grand Harbour. It fascinates me to hear all the different languages as people walk past, and I love to try and guess where everyone comes from by their clothes - before they open their mouth!! Then I bought The Sunday Times of Malta and sat on a park bench scouring the classified ads for jobs. Only a couple of vague prospects, but what the heck, life is good!!! The sun shines, the sea is blue, I am alive and healthy, what more do I need???? I wandered around the main street, near the Grand Master's Palace where there is a big square and a number of fountains (little ones). There was music coming out of a loudspeaker (the Maltese love music and fireworks!!!) and I was told it was a Maltese waltz by a famous Maltese contemporary composer. The water in the fountains was set to dance to the music, at different heights according to the high/low notes. Brilliant!!! After a cappuccino and later a glass of the local lager (I have drank more coffee and more alcohol in the last 3 weeks in Malta than a whole year in the US!!!), I made my way back to the bus stop (driver playing Italian music on his radio) and home to watch BBC Entertainment channel on TV. Which, by the way, is really cr....because it repeats the same few programmes over and over - and the selection is very poor! I must admit to missing 'Desperate Housewives' from the US and the latest Dr Who from the UK!!! However, I did watch the first episode of 'Monastery', quite interesting.

Does anyone know the deal with playing European DVDs on a US laptop???? I have a Gateway and was told (online customer support) that it is possible - but I am unsure and hate to do damage by trying.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salopian
Thanks everyone for the welcome.
Well, we bought our tickets today, flying out of Melbourne on the 20th July. Truth to tell I don't know whether to laugh or cry, there just seems so much to do and not enough time to do it, but I suppose we just have to 'not sweat the small stuff' and just go with the flow

We haven't experienced any negativity from the UK side (yet) but a fair bit from Oz. The usual "you'll be back" and "it's sooo expensive there" mixed in with the "but it's so cold' and "there's no work you know." I don't even bother replying now, just grin, and that seems to flummox them. Ah, happy days
Congratulations!!! It will be fantastic to get your life back in a country with variety and buzz so all the very best with the move and hope it goes smoothly!
Old May 17th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Anna, I'm loving your attitude, you seem like you are loving life, all the stress has gone, Good for you.

Your BBC coverage sounds like BBC America where shows are repeated daily because of four time zones.

Computers and DVD's...
I believe there are 7 regions for DVDs, I think America is Region 1 and Britain is Region 2.
You can play European Dvds on your computer, but you cant constantly keep changing from one region to another, the computer should give you the chance to change regions a few times, then at some point you are stuck with one region or the other, my Gateway gave me a warning that I was running out of chances, I think I had 5 or 6 chances total, this was 8 years ago so things may have changed. I hope other posters can confirm.

So its up to you to decide if you want to watch American or British DVD's, Malta might be another region, I'm not really sure. Good Luck with that...

I bought a region free DVD player here in the states, it cost me $115 but it plays any region all day long, that might be an option for you if you have lots of DVDs from both areas.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Anna, I'm loving your attitude, you seem like you are loving life, all the stress has gone, Good for you.

Your BBC coverage sounds like BBC America where shows are repeated daily because of four time zones.

Computers and DVD's...
I believe there are 7 regions for DVDs, I think America is Region 1 and Britain is Region 2.
You can play European Dvds on your computer, but you cant constantly keep changing from one region to another, the computer should give you the chance to change regions a few times, then at some point you are stuck with one region or the other, my Gateway gave me a warning that I was running out of chances, I think I had 5 or 6 chances total, this was 8 years ago so things may have changed. I hope other posters can confirm.

So its up to you to decide if you want to watch American or British DVD's, Malta might be another region, I'm not really sure. Good Luck with that...

I bought a region free DVD player here in the states, it cost me $115 but it plays any region all day long, that might be an option for you if you have lots of DVDs from both areas.
Thanks for the infoSo are you saying I just put the DVD in my disc drive and it should play? Without my altering anything on my laptop? I was thinking of renting one (apparently it only costs 1 euro for a week) and see what happens. I have thought about buying a DVD player but until I know how long I will be in Malta I am reluctant to do that. Plus electronics are so expensive here, I would probably wait till a visit to the Uk to get one. And then there is the added fact that the TV set here is ancient!! I doubt it has the capability to take a DVD player!!

Yes, BBC Entertainment might be similar to US, but with even less programmes! All I have seen so far on it are The Weakest Link, Dr Who documentary, Eastenders, Doctors, Casualty?? Silent witness??? And the same episode repeated....... Good thing I can go outside any hour of the evening and there will be plenty to look at!!
Old May 17th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Thanks for the infoSo are you saying I just put the DVD in my disc drive and it should play? Without my altering anything on my laptop? I was thinking of renting one (apparently it only costs 1 euro for a week) and see what happens. I have thought about buying a DVD player but until I know how long I will be in Malta I am reluctant to do that. Plus electronics are so expensive here, I would probably wait till a visit to the Uk to get one. And then there is the added fact that the TV set here is ancient!! I doubt it has the capability to take a DVD player!!

Yes, BBC Entertainment might be similar to US, but with even less programmes! All I have seen so far on it are The Weakest Link, Dr Who documentary, Eastenders, Doctors, Casualty?? Silent witness??? And the same episode repeated....... Good thing I can go outside any hour of the evening and there will be plenty to look at!!
Ummmm, I think you will get a warning you are changing regions if youve already watched a DVD in it from a different region. Maybe they have rentals already set up for the region you want, I take it you want to watch British stuff.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ummmm, I think you will get a warning you are changing regions if youve already watched a DVD in it from a different region. Maybe they have rentals already set up for the region you want, I take it you want to watch British stuff.
Well, films in Engish mainly, good point, I guess I must find a shop first and find out!! Thanks!! Will let you know!
Old May 17th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I guess Eileen must be on her way to Australia now, volcanic ash or not!!! What a journey she is having - Canada, England and now Australia, 3 continents in such a short space of time!! Your user ID, Relocateme is the best name you could have chosen!!! I wish you a safe flight and hope to hear from you when you land on the other side of the world!!!!
Old May 17th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe how many posts have been written since yesterday...........pages!!!!! I would love to reply to all, but won't even bother trying, way too many!!! Can you imagine how many people we would get at our planned meet up in the UK?? Malta might not be big enough to hold us all!!!

First, welcome, welcome, welcome, to all the newbies. I have always said this is the best thread on this site, now I am saying it is the best thread/forum on the entire web!!! For people like us that is

Second, for all those women dillying and dallying over their decision - who have not yet reached menopauseYou think you are worrying now???? Just you wait On the other hand, after that midlife crisis (applies to men too), we do tend to be a little more wise about our whole situation. Might not make it easier to follow through with our decision, but I think it seems to make more sense to go ahead and do it anyway. We realize we are not superwomen/men and we do only have one short life to fulfil our dreams, and in the end, we can only take care of ourselves.

Third, I read a lot of posts expressing anxiety about finding a job. Very valid point. It doesn't matter where we are, how old we are, what we do, in this new economic climate and generation, it is hard. However, I do believe, from my own personal experience, that attitude and perspective can influence everything. After all, we attract what we think, everything begins with our thoughts. So, for me, here in Malta, jobless, I am not worrying any more. When you are where your heart/soul wants and needs to be, somehow that makes the world of difference to how you feel about surviving. That's the key to open the door to all your dreams coming true. If we continue to think negative though, we will be dragged back into this twilight zone of worry and anxiety. I am not going back to that!!! On this side of the door there is hope, laughter, friendly people, a beautiful world!!! Yes, the other bad stuff still exists, but that's not what I look at or dwell on any more.

So, if I - a 59 year old divorced, introverted female, with no pension, just a few savings (which I am spending) , no solid career in my background, no family here in Malta, no job ( and no Tescos here unfortunately!!) can give up a car, house, friends, leave my sons in the US, and take that huge leap across the Atlantic all by myself (mentally, emotionally and physically) and (7 weeks later) feel happier and more full of life than I have felt in a long, long time, then ANYONE can do it!!!!

Bottom line, we are all perfect in our imperfections - that means stop beating ourselves up about everything we think/do, thought/did, and just DO IT. Not easy, but well worth it in the long run!!!!! And keep getting encouragement from all the wonderful people on this thread!!!

Sue - we could share a place here in Malta during winter and spring, and in England summer and autumn!!!! When I win the Maltese lottery!!!! Better go out and buy a ticket!!
What a wonderful attitude. Thank you so much for posting. I love to read your posts, they are so uplifting
Old May 17th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rod just to clarify I fly out on the 3rd ..land on the 4th...mum's 90th is on the 16th and I fly out on the 24th, June...final move to Wales fall on 2011...boy that brings sweet music to my ears..

cheers...Taffy
Old May 17th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

lazy is an unknown quantity at this point

aes1
It's my understanding that Fish is spot on with laptop DVD players. You can also change a set-region DVD player to a multi-regional one just by entering a certain sequence of numbers but you need to get that information from someone who knows the different manufacturers and model numbers.

However for future reference for everyone - were you aware that on the Saga website there is a forum where you can get technical help from other members? > Forum Maps > Special Interests > Technology> Computer Help.

Old May 17th 2010, 2:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

home to watch BBC Entertainment channel on TV. Which, by the way, is really cr....because it repeats the same few programmes over and over - and the selection is very poor! I must admit to missing 'Desperate Housewives' from the US and the latest Dr Who from the UK!!! However, I did watch the first episode of 'Monastery', quite interesting.
I highly recommend the Box (http://www.thebox.bz/signup.php). Once you join and download a piece of software onto your computer, you can download any UK TV show, including years of back episodes.

I worked my way through every series of "Location, Location, Location" and "Who Do you Think You Are" (family history show) and now I'm hooked on "Come Dine With Me."
Old May 17th 2010, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

lazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sally
I have never heard of thebox before. It looks very interesting, a UK friend is addicted to Come Dine with me. It must be me though as I can't understand the rules. Would you be so kind as to explain what the ratio means in plain English? I assume it is a safe link and not liable to viruses - as I have had those nightmares before. Please pm me so I am not hijacking the purpose of this thread. Thanks.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I highly recommend the Box (http://www.thebox.bz/signup.php). Once you join and download a piece of software onto your computer, you can download any UK TV show, including years of back episodes.

I worked my way through every series of "Location, Location, Location" and "Who Do you Think You Are" (family history show) and now I'm hooked on "Come Dine With Me."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.