Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 16th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by huyton
Fish n Chips and Marmalade..
Yes i remember the toasting fork.Toast made on the fire was great. Here in the US toast never tastes the same as in England. And too, the bread is different. I have never aquired taste for white American bread. It sticks to the roof of your mouth!
Will always buy wheat. Also loved the roasted chestnuts on the fire...mmmm
As bad as things were, there are always nice memories
Liz
As bad as things were...
I think it was always a lack of money, Everything else was OK, but we scrimped.

I love Bread and like American Bread, I never buy cheap bread, its such an important part of most meals, what about loose crumpets before they came in a packet, Great Memories.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Very good advice Fish, I may just go into a big dealership for a dummy run so to speak and ask them what they would pay me for my car, so at least I will have a good idea of what to expect when I am ready to sell it,
Rodney.
Rod you can always look up a price on (kbb) kelly blue book, look up trade in price and be honest about the condition for a honest price. Expect a bit less as dealers will offer you less if you are not buying a car.

Go to a few dealers and you will figure it out what is a fair price.
Old May 16th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I just snorted coffee out of my nose!

Just teasing, but my US citizenship took almost 2 years and was an absolute nightmare despite the fact that we used a lawyer. I got citizenship in Canada too and the two countries seem about as bad in terms of speed.
Coffee!!.... Its wine time, Sal...but seriously that makes me feel much better. I wonder if a lawyer here would have made any difference. Probably not! Hopefully it will happen before I go, but its not the end of the world!
Old May 16th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Marmalade, if there are no teaching jobs in the US nor in the UK then you have nothing to lose! Heeheheheh.

Of course there is a downside to leaving the safe, comfortable life we have all built here in our adopted countries. But there isn't any reason why we can't achieve that again. We have the experience now and know what we don't want, right!
My SIL, (the negative person) can kiss my anchor. She will be the first one knocking on my door when I am settled I can tell you. Trying to borrow a quid or ten.
Isn't that the truth, so will mine, that's the irony of it (but, not the borrowing money part).

I love your comment on the teaching jobs - that's exactly what I was thinking

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Don't worry Marmalade, I have some negative people in my family too, the truth is negative people can stop you doing anything and everything, I think they are down because they think everyone else in the world has it so much better than them, I think its built into some peoples personality, they feel better looking on the gloomy side of everything.

"Negativity breeds negativity", That has to be true.

I've been influenced by negative before and really regretted it.

Always follow your heart or gut feeling, it wont steer you far wrong.
Following the heart is much harder than being lazy and staying the same. I am tired of doing that and need to get off my little bum and go do what I want to do, thanks for the encouragement
Old May 16th 2010, 11:05 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
Coffee!!.... Its wine time, Sal

Oops - what was I thinking? Must rectify that right now

I have decided that the solution to my problems is simple. I have to win the lottery so that we can have a New York home and a place in Yorkshire. Then we can move back and forth at will and my OH and I will be be happy.

Problem solved!
Old May 16th 2010, 11:08 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WAWA
Certainly good to have dual citizenship. I am waiting for my Canadian, but they take so L O N G here - about 18months! I have been waiting well over a year, so if it does not happen soon, I aint hanging around. Believe US takes only a few months, so surprised and confused why it cant be the same here. I have only been here for 5 years, and married for 5 years too.
Where in the US are you? I might have missed that bit of info in earlier messages? Sorry.
I am in Northern Virginia. About 1.5 hrs from DC.
My citizenship took a year. Everyone else's took about 5 months or less. Mine got lost. But it's done now!
Old May 16th 2010, 11:10 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

49 is close enough for us pal, even 45 is good, heck anyone can join in here, I'm happy to see you here, there is a lot to learn. Welcome Kevin
Completely agree. And welcome Kevin.
Old May 16th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Thanks for that

I kind of gatecrashed this thread as I'm 43, but if I keep dithering I will reach 50 before a decision is made, ha, ha

You are right about them not knowing how we feel. For me too, it is not where I want to be (not right now anyway). I feel that I am just existing right now and waiting for the next step. I call it the "in-between time" where I am just plodding along and not doing what I want to do. I keep waiting to move on, but keep stopping myself. I need to be courageous and JUST DO IT!

It doesn't help that everytime I call home I get the same thing -" There's no teaching jobs here!!!!" Well, guess what, there's none here either, and I don't particularly like the one I have...................which, on one hand makes it easier to leave, and on the other hand people will think I am nuts for leaving a "safe" position. Can't win for trying

Anyway, I think you are very brave to be making the move, and very smart too. Going ahead of your husband is a great move, and if things don't work out then you always have the US to come back to without completely cutting ties. Good luck to you

43 ?. You lucky devil.

Don't wait till you are 50 or you might find it too hard, I'm 54 and even now I'm thinking this move will be very difficult, I just know it will be worthwhile, some times the thought of all there is to do overwhelms me, but I know if I take it one step at a time I will be OK, that's advice I give to others.

So the sooner the better as I see it, get put in a rest home and you will never leave this country again, 43 might seem too young but I've seen people much younger in care homes, things happen to people at every age, all of a sudden life is very different and there is nothing you can do about it, we all have expectations in life, we think we know what will happen in our future, but sometimes life takes an awful turn.

I'm sorry to be so negative but after seeing my Mum in a care home I look at life differently, I say Enjoy Every Day, get on with life.

Have you considered a different profession if you cant find teaching work???
Old May 16th 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

43 ?. You lucky devil.

Don't wait till you are 50 or you might find it too hard, I'm 54 and even now I'm thinking this move will be very difficult, I just know it will be worthwhile, some times the thought of all there is to do overwhelms me, but I know if I take it one step at a time I will be OK, that's advice I give to others.

So the sooner the better as I see it, get put in a rest home and you will never leave this country again, 43 might seem too young but I've seen people much younger in care homes, things happen to people at every age, all of a sudden life is very different and there is nothing you can do about it, we all have expectations in life, we think we know what will happen in our future, but sometimes life takes an awful turn.

I'm sorry to be so negative but after seeing my Mum in a care home I look at life differently, I say Enjoy Every Day, get on with life.

Have you considered a different profession if you cant find teaching work???
Good post, and no, you were not too negative, just realistic. I agree with you about life changing at any age. Around this age my father found out he had diabetes and it changed his life forever.........it affected him profoundly.

Yes, I have considered a different profession. So, if you have any suggestions, I am all ears

Last edited by Marmalade; May 16th 2010 at 11:48 pm.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:08 am
I can't Re-Member

Good post, and no, you were not too negative, just realistic. I agree with you about life changing at any age. Around this age my father found out he had diabetes and it changed his life forever.........it affected him profoundly.

Yes, I have considered a different profession. So, if you have any suggestions, I am all ears
Come and join me at Tesco's. We can be like those Walmart greeters.
Old May 17th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I dont know what other skills or desires you have, but teaching could have connections in training, thats all I have right now, Im sure you have other skills that would translate.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Come and join me at Tesco's. We can be like those Walmart greeters.
Sounds wonderful!
Old May 17th 2010, 1:26 am
I can't Re-Member

Sounds wonderful!
Old May 17th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I dont know what other skills or desires you have, but teaching could have connections in training, thats all I have right now, Im sure you have other skills that would translate.
I love animals. Would rather work with them than humans. It's quite funny, I'm always looking at Edinburgh Zoo's vacancy site
Old May 17th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.