Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Well Trottytrue, I can't report on sausages as I am a vegetarian! But I have had some good cheeses, such as Red Leicester, they are all better than the ones we got in the US. I have become quite partial to Jacob's Cream Crackers and Cornish Wafers (forget who makes them) with my cheese! Yesterday I had a homebaked scone still warm from the oven, at a garden centre coffee shop. That was with another group of my sister's friends – one of whom was on “The Weakest Link” and actually made it to the final!!!

Today we rode the bus to Newcastle, my sister has a bus pass, so it was free for her. For me it was a total of £10 return, which I didn't think was bad as it saved on petrol in the car and parking fees and hassle. The journey was very good, buses were on time, we changed only twice, and it took us about 2 hours (twice as long as with a car). One thing I found strange was that there was a butchers in the bus station!!! Do people buy meat there on their way home on the bus??? Newcastle Centre was very crowded for a Wednesday. The shops were crammed full with people spending lots of money by the look of it. There are some beautiful clothes about, a much larger selection of skirts and dresses than in the more casual US. Lots of people having coffee in the cafe, men included, we ate in John Lewis – a cheese scone in the morning and a fruit scone in the afternoon. Yummy!

My check card finally arrived today but I have a suspicion I can't use it abroad in a machine. I am not used to having to pay a monthly maintenance fee to bank, so I opted for the most basic checking account Lloyds Bank offers. I may have to change that later on.

Nothing else to report, tomorrow is another busy social day plus a walk! Hope my feet survive!!

Rodney, where are you????
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:07 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J.J
A Big Step today, we had the realator in and have listed our house for sale. Mrs J is excited, Mr J has lost all feelings after months of decorating. If we just look at the house then why would we ever want to leave, it looks great with green lawns and azealias - but wait, we just had a taste of 90 deg F weather this weekend and it reminds us why we dislike the hot & humid summers here. And then we think about how will we afford healthcare when we are both out of work, and how he wouldn't want to maintain the house at it's peak again for a sale somewhere doen the line, and how we have a limited family and friend network here and....and...
So here we are, committed at last to selling the house, it's been a 1 year process of building up from "lets stay" to "lets leave"
Hubby has been told that as his office is closing, if he moves himself to UK then they would hire him there, but they won't cover re-location costs cos it's not a Corp need that he be there - oh well, the money would have been nice but it was only a vision so nothing lost and never part of our plan, at least he will have a job to step into when we get back, thats a lot to be grateful for. And so the trial of selling our house begins.........
Your post - once again - could have almost been written by me except that Mr. DDL (at this point, anyway) will not have a job to step into when we get back. But everything else is about the same. I had a realtor friend over last week to give us her honest appraisal of the house - but we did not go under contract with her. 6% commission will just eat up too much of any profit we might end up making on the house, and she was not (said her company would not allow) willing to negotiate the percentage down. So anyway, we stuck up a FOR SALE BY OWNER sign on Sunday and we already have our first viewing this Saturday! (We live in a small town about 35 miles from Charleston, SC) We're also not doing the numbers game with our listing price. We've listed it at the amount the realtor says it is worth and she was brutally honest with us that we should expect no more than that.

I must say that once we put the sign out and started to list our furniture and Mr. DDL's car on Craigslist, it's all becoming a bit exciting. Still a lot of hard work ahead and loads of unknowns, but we're determined to look upon this whole thing as one big ADVENTURE!

The "let's stay" "let's leave" was emotionally draining for us, and we had been voicing those statements for at least 3 years.

Hear you on the heat and humidity! I am originally from Chicago but have lived down here for 30+ years and I STILL hate the summer weather. Mr. DDL admits that he will miss all the sunshine, but definitely not the heat/humidity.

Good luck with the house sale and looking forward to following your progress! Now go have a cuppa, you two.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

[QUOTE=aes1;8479615]Well Trottytrue,
My check card finally arrived today but I have a suspicion I can't use it abroad in a machine. I am not used to having to pay a monthly maintenance fee to bank, so I opted for the most basic checking account Lloyds Bank offers. I may have to change that later on.

QUOTE]

Hi we changed our Lloyds TSB cheque account to the basic one when we moved over here and we can use it abroad so you should be able to.
Just check what the charge for using it will be.

Chris
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Your post - once again - could have almost been written by me except that Mr. DDL (at this point, anyway) will not have a job to step into when we get back. But everything else is about the same. I had a realtor friend over last week to give us her honest appraisal of the house - but we did not go under contract with her. 6% commission will just eat up too much of any profit we might end up making on the house, and she was not (said her company would not allow) willing to negotiate the percentage down. So anyway, we stuck up a FOR SALE BY OWNER sign on Sunday and we already have our first viewing this Saturday! (We live in a small town about 35 miles from Charleston, SC) We're also not doing the numbers game with our listing price. We've listed it at the amount the realtor says it is worth and she was brutally honest with us that we should expect no more than that.

I must say that once we put the sign out and started to list our furniture and Mr. DDL's car on Craigslist, it's all becoming a bit exciting. Still a lot of hard work ahead and loads of unknowns, but we're determined to look upon this whole thing as one big ADVENTURE!

The "let's stay" "let's leave" was emotionally draining for us, and we had been voicing those statements for at least 3 years.

Hear you on the heat and humidity! I am originally from Chicago but have lived down here for 30+ years and I STILL hate the summer weather. Mr. DDL admits that he will miss all the sunshine, but definitely not the heat/humidity.

Good luck with the house sale and looking forward to following your progress! Now go have a cuppa, you two.
Oh that's good news! Fingers crossed for you on Saturday.

Good luck for everyone trying to sell!!!

Chris, I think I can only use it abroad at a Lloyds TSB machine, as far as I know there are none in Malta. Fee is 2.95% plus £1.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

jobolton is an unknown quantity at this point

Anna - AES1 ?

When you move to Malta, does your sister want a lodger ?
Mouth watering homemade food, country walks, nice day trips out etc
I could go for that no probs !
Glad your having a good time, you deserve it
Cheers
John
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:54 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
Well Trottytrue, I can't report on sausages as I am a vegetarian! But I have had some good cheeses, such as Red Leicester, they are all better than the ones we got in the US. I have become quite partial to Jacob's Cream Crackers and Cornish Wafers (forget who makes them) with my cheese! Yesterday I had a homebaked scone still warm from the oven, at a garden centre coffee shop. That was with another group of my sister's friends – one of whom was on “The Weakest Link” and actually made it to the final!!!

Today we rode the bus to Newcastle, my sister has a bus pass, so it was free for her. For me it was a total of £10 return, which I didn't think was bad as it saved on petrol in the car and parking fees and hassle. The journey was very good, buses were on time, we changed only twice, and it took us about 2 hours (twice as long as with a car). One thing I found strange was that there was a butchers in the bus station!!! Do people buy meat there on their way home on the bus??? Newcastle Centre was very crowded for a Wednesday. The shops were crammed full with people spending lots of money by the look of it. There are some beautiful clothes about, a much larger selection of skirts and dresses than in the more casual US. Lots of people having coffee in the cafe, men included, we ate in John Lewis – a cheese scone in the morning and a fruit scone in the afternoon. Yummy!

Nothing else to report, tomorrow is another busy social day plus a walk! Hope my feet survive!!

Rodney, where are you????
Gopd morning Anna, just to let you know I gain 2 kgs everytime I read your post. I don't eat wheat products but I have a good imagination and those scones tasted just great You sound so busy but having a great time. Every time I go home I'm amazed when I see so many people shopping at all times of the day; probably because the shops are so interesting and there is so much choice. Ah well, I'll continue to dream but in the meantime I must check the newspaper and see where I went wrong in yesterday's crossword I look forward to 'eating' something yummy when I check your next post.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:01 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL

Isn't that 'Let's stay, Let's Leave' just the worst time. There is so much that goes with it, 'shall we redecorate to sell or just leave it and travel', it even effects attitudes to shopping because if we decide to leave there is no point in buying anything new. Ugghh just horrible, it is the reason why I admire all the courageous friends on this forum who have taken the leap of faith. I keeping asking the Universe to let me know when is the right time, I'm beginning to realize that my heart is the only gauge. OK time to get back to my crossword. It's nice to know that I'm not alone with all this 'push pull stuff'
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:05 pm
mrs sully

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hey! Rodney

Where are you we all miss you ??????

Above is your last post on March 26th no mention of any trips..we all hope you are O.K Maybe you've actually bought that new laptop and are setting it up for the internet..lets hope...

cheers...Taffy
Hello Taffy, must be time to send out the search party for Rodney. At least when he logs in next time he will know how much we have missed him.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:11 pm
mrs sully

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Aces1...OK I give in what have you been eating today. Had any good cheese or sausages. Not heard anything from Rodney he must be away.
Been working in the garden to keep it looking good need to clean the windows. Small things count when your trying to sell. Needs to look like you have taken care of it.
Hello TT, thank you for asking Anna about the sausages, I know she doesn't eat them but perhaps she could check them out just for us. My favourite is Cumberland sausages, now I'm getting hungry. Must eat my breakfast now - fruit and yoghurt but would much prefer bacon, eggs and sausages with HP sauce. Back to the crossword
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:17 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Isn't that 'Let's stay, Let's Leave' just the worst time. There is so much that goes with it, 'shall we redecorate to sell or just leave it and travel', it even effects attitudes to shopping because if we decide to leave there is no point in buying anything new. Ugghh just horrible, it is the reason why I admire all the courageous friends on this forum who have taken the leap of faith. I keeping asking the Universe to let me know when is the right time, I'm beginning to realize that my heart is the only gauge. OK time to get back to my crossword. It's nice to know that I'm not alone with all this 'push pull stuff'
I think part of the stay / leave struggle is knowing that we are bringing massive change upon our lives and it is a uphill climb to get there - but we move ahead knowing once we reach the top then the view to the other side will be just fantastic. Sometimes we lose sight of the destination in the fog.

DDL, we had told our neighbors (the one that speaks to us) of our plans to leave and last weekend they sent across some visitors to express their interest, this before we even put up the board. We passed the name to our realtors, maybe this is a good omen. But still we want to see what other interest there may be, we are seeking to get through this in a timely fashion. Oh, we too have listed at a sensible proce, matching that of the same style house down the street that sold for a few months ago. With Zillow and such it's easy for buyers to know what else is previously sold on the street so they soon get sight of an overpricing.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:52 pm
mrs sully

Originally Posted by J.J
I think part of the stay / leave struggle is knowing that we are bringing massive change upon our lives and it is a uphill climb to get there - but we move ahead knowing once we reach the top then the view to the other side will be just fantastic. Sometimes we lose sight of the destination in the fog.

DDL, we had told our neighbors (the one that speaks to us) of our plans to leave and last weekend they sent across some visitors to express their interest, this before we even put up the board. We passed the name to our realtors, maybe this is a good omen. But still we want to see what other interest there may be, we are seeking to get through this in a timely fashion. Oh, we too have listed at a sensible proce, matching that of the same style house down the street that sold for a few months ago. With Zillow and such it's easy for buyers to know what else is previously sold on the street so they soon get sight of an overpricing.
So true JJ, it's just waiting for the fog to clear and the obstacles on the way up. Was a bit worried this morning because my vision was a bit blurred oops contacts in the wrong eyes, this is not a good start to the day, no wonder I couldn't do my crossword. Good luck with your property sale, I really do think the key in the market now is the sensible price - you are wise all round .
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:39 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Having some major dental surgery tomorrow and will be "out of commission" for a few days, but wanted to throw out this comment/question/topic:

Why is it that when I tell people/friends/family about our plans to move back to the UK, I feel like I have to tell them why - like I have to justify our decision to them? Do any of you feel that way or experience this?

Is it because 99% of the people I have told do not seem to understand/support our decision? Is it because they all seem to respond with, "WHY???"

It's really none of their business, but I find myself feeling a responsibility to tell them why.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:59 am
mrs sully

Originally Posted by DDL
Having some major dental surgery tomorrow and will be "out of commission" for a few days, but wanted to throw out this comment/question/topic:

Why is it that when I tell people/friends/family about our plans to move back to the UK, I feel like I have to tell them why - like I have to justify our decision to them? Do any of you feel that way or experience this?

Is it because 99% of the people I have told do not seem to understand/support our decision? Is it because they all seem to respond with, "WHY???"

It's really none of their business, but I find myself feeling a responsibility to tell them why.
Oh yes DDL, I have certainly met with that, often followed by "but what about your children and grandchildren". I have 'friends' who think I am mad and take every opportunity to voice that opinion. My favourite one 'you are just running away'. From what I ask? I have a good life here with OH, a nice house, financially secure, family etc and how dare I think about what I would like - at 58! Well it is quite simple, 30 odd years on and I'm still the wrong way up, I don't want to spend my golden years (if I'm blessed with them) feeling I am in someone else's house. My children are in their 30's I gave them my most precious gift - my youth, can someone please tell me it is OK for me to have my Autumn at MY home. DDL I hope that tells you that you are not on your own. It isn't fair for some people to steal your joy; you have no responsibility to them to tell them anything and you have every right to enjoy every minute of your dream.

Good luck with your dental surgery and speedy recovery
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Been off the site for a few weeks now due to emergency surgery- been a long slow recovery, hoping to go back to work next 2 weeks.

ED- glad that things are finally working out for you, now just need that house to sell and the family be re united.

Relocateme- safe trip home-looking forward to hearing from you once you reach the "other side".

Everyone else who has posted- very interesting read!!

Our plans are to review things again in the fall- we own a USA business which has been struggling and this summer its either going to be make or break.

We are in Canada- and we have one very elderly dog 13 and a half- the Queen Mary gets so booked up so quickly, and we cannot risk her flying, she won't make it.

Take care all
Welcome back Shelly,I was wondering what had happened to you, Get well soon.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Oh yes DDL, I have certainly met with that, often followed by "but what about your children and grandchildren". I have 'friends' who think I am mad and take every opportunity to voice that opinion. My favourite one 'you are just running away'. From what I ask? I have a good life here with OH, a nice house, financially secure, family etc and how dare I think about what I would like - at 58! Well it is quite simple, 30 odd years on and I'm still the wrong way up, I don't want to spend my golden years (if I'm blessed with them) feeling I am in someone else's house. My children are in their 30's I gave them my most precious gift - my youth, can someone please tell me it is OK for me to have my Autumn at MY home. DDL I hope that tells you that you are not on your own. It isn't fair for some people to steal your joy; you have no responsibility to them to tell them anything and you have every right to enjoy every minute of your dream.

Good luck with your dental surgery and speedy recovery

I've heard that statement many times, I think there are a few reasons people back home think we are NUTS.

Many Brit's look at other countries and think everyone has it better than they do, when they look at America they think Cheaper food, Cheaper gas/petrol, More sun, Bigger Cheaper homes, Cheaper Clothes/Levi's etc, Big cars, Numerous cars per family, Motorhomes, Boats, the list goes on etc.

I think Brit's watch American TV programs and think we live the life they see on the telly, they don't realize these things are expensive and out of many peoples financial reach.

I don't think America broadcasts the down side of living in America, why would they, I'm talking about the homeless and poor, the unemployment, the Drug problem, High murder rate, High bankruptcy rate, Earthquakes and other natural disasters, the lack of vacation time, I could go on, America usually shows the good America and Brit's focus on that.

There are many good things about America and the people have always made me welcome here, I will never say any different, still everything in life has trade offs.

If Brits only had two weeks vacation per year how would they feel? many people I know have only two weeks vacation, some just take the money and work their vacations.

Healthcare, sorry guys its my favorite hate, how many Brits living in the UK are stuck in a job they hate because it comes with great healthcare benefits?, Not anyone I know,

How many Brits don't have healthcare coverage?, and how many will risk losing their home if they get sick and cant afford medical bills?, I don't know any Brits that would trade their heath coverage for mine.

I'm with you Mrs Sully, Over 30 years and I'm still a fish out of water, I want to feel like a normal person in what I think are normal surroundings, I want to feel permanent for once in my life, I've always felt temporary here.

You really cant expect people back home to understand our issues unless they have walked in our shoes, I bet they would be surprised to see how many people are returning home from Australia, Canada and the USA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.