Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:10 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
Hi aes1, I lived in Columbia for 18 yrs and now I live in North Myrtle Beach...
Hi, tiamobrit1 - we are in Berkeley County, in Moncks Corner. We like Myrtle Beach, but mostly in the off-season! I was up that way not long ago - went to a "Winter Warmer Tea" at Brookgreen Gardens, right after the BIG SNOW in February!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi aes1, I lived in Columbia for 18 yrs and now I live in North Myrtle Beach, I enjoy it here , its just the people , if you don't talk like them or have the same humour as them then we are like outcast's. I feel that even if they are friendly it is so phony. My children are getting used to the idea of moving . I just have to wait for my youngest's adoption to be finalised. My own biological married son and daughter and their spouses and my 4 grandchildren were all killed in a car accident in 1999, I was living in Columbia then and my son and daughter were coming to join me . They were all going to a friends wedding and then the following week they were to come to the US. I did go a bit cuckoo for at least 3 yrs. Then I decided to turn a tragedy into something positive. Hence I have all these children now. Anyway , here I am spouting off, I suppose I must have needed to talk about it , forgive me . You only asked me one ? txs . tiamobrit1
Tiamobrit1.
Don't begin to apoligise, we are here to listen and help, talk about anything you wish, you dont need to excuse yourself, I cant begin to understand what losing your family like that was like, just stay positive like you already are.

York, Wow thats just wonderful place, Ive been to York a few times over the last few years, Id love to live there, it's full of the British things so many of us ex-pats love, Dont doubt yourself for a minute, just stay focused and dont look back, Good Luck to you.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Signing off now from Canada...flying tomorrow..leaving the house in the am and taking off at 3.45 so guys.....see you on the other side
I cant believe your time has come, but Im so happy for you, I hope all your dreams come true in the UK and I wish you well.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Signing off now from Canada...flying tomorrow..leaving the house in the am and taking off at 3.45 so guys.....see you on the other side

Good Luck on the trip, hope the sun is shinning when you get here. Hope we can get together for a glass of wine someday.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
OK - I've copied and pasted this:-

They want to know what income you (as a family) will have once you are living in the UK. If your husband will be the only one working, then you enter his future income; if you will be the only one working, enter your future income; if you will both have jobs in the UK, enter your combined income and if neither of you have jobs lined up, then you need to show how you will support yourself until you do find work (i.e. personal savings).

Note: You should only enter what you will be earning in the UK, not what you have earned or currently earn in the US. Also remember, as someone else mentioned, the form covers all situations, including those where the UKC half of the couple is already living and working in the UK, and so their income will usually be the one used for maintenance rather than the US citizen's
Good Morning, this is the main reason that I came before my husband even though he will have one of his pensions when he gets here. I wanted the visa application to be as smooth as it could be. I am hoping that with already establishing a residence and working full time that this will suffice, even though we do not have any savings, unless our house sells.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:58 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you a safe flight!!! It's so exciting as one by one the times comes around for the trip home.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by callé
Wishing you a safe flight!!! It's so exciting as one by one the times comes around for the trip home.
Yes, another one of us 'pigeons' returning to the roost! I think that is what we all are on this thread, a flock of homing pigeons, all eventually finding our way back to where we really belong!! Until the next mission/trip we find ourselves on Good luck Relocateme/Eileen!!! Hope you are wearing all your winter woolies for landing in Brum, the weather here is of course cold, grey and wet this morning! But the daffodils still manage to shine yellow through it all, even if the sun doesn't!!

Who is our next pigeon making it safely back?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

I visit UK Yankee, too.

I am no expert but I have been involved in the immigration/Visa process before and don't see how we could have entered what we would be earning in the UK since we're not even there yet! This - equivalent to 'guessing' - makes no sense.

In my UK Settlement Visa supporting documents, I provided proof of our joint incomes here in the US; provided copies of our CV's; proof of our UK job-hunting efforts to date, which included all solid, legitimate enquiries that my husband (IT) and I (Legal Secretary) have been receiving; and, of course, proof of our current savings in our US and UK banks.

It's impossible to enter 'future income' - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

This, is what I thought, but when I read responses on UK-Yankee I am having huge doubts. Everything that you are providing, I too am providing including a copy of my C.V (prior to coming to the US, I also was a Legal Secretary for many years). It is the application and questions concerning employment that is causing me a lot of worry.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

denneco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi again .I researched a lot of holiday rentals in the uk and looked at their availablity charts for rentals in winter ,then called them to try and negotiate a deal that included utility costs etc .I eventually got a one bedroom apartment next to a farmhouse in devon and as I am a country girl looking forward to it .
My biggest problem over here in the States are my 2 rescue cats ,all the animal services refuse to take them as they are overloaded with animals being dumped by people leaving their foreclosed homes .I cannot afford to fly them to the UK and am out of time now for shots etc ,I am breaking my heart over whats to become of them as they are so loving and dependent on me ,I am showing their photos all over the estate where i live in the vain hope someone will fall in love with them ,Many people have mentioned on this site about the sacrifices you have to make when returning back to the UK
Home is where the heart is
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Where is the bet place to look for jobs and accommodation in the UK - for the over 65's can anyone give me some info. Also what is the latest on bringing in pets from south africa. do they still have to have a 6mths quarantine
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:33 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Hi aes1, I lived in Columbia for 18 yrs and now I live in North Myrtle Beach,
Hello tiamobrit1, June and John wave from Raleigh, we visit M.Beach a couple times a year, and as does DDL, generally in the off season, Oct or Nov and include a visit down to Brookegreen gardens.
Cheers, J J
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denneco
Where is the bet place to look for jobs and accommodation in the UK - for the over 65's can anyone give me some info. Also what is the latest on bringing in pets from south africa. do they still have to have a 6mths quarantine
Accommodation: try Rightmove, local estate agents' websites and Gumtree.

For jobs, it kind of depends on your field/qualifications/experience, but networking (eg via LinkedIn) can be very useful for connecting with people in your field.

As far as pets are concerned, I imagine it's the same as for anyone moving to the UK from anywhere. If you do a search here, I'm sure you will find several threads on this issue. I believe there is also something in the Wiki.

SAGA may be another potentially useful resource:

http://www.sagazone.co.uk/

Last edited by Elvira; Apr 5th 2010 at 5:52 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
How much you are packing into your time you will need a long break when you get over to Malta.It's so great to hear about all your outings, just keep enjoying your time.

Yes i am getting worried about Rodney too, it's been a while since he has been on.

Chris
Have been following the adventures avidly - keeps me motivated!
Last time Rodney posted was on 26th March......very concerned! Maybe he went away for Easter.......
Tanto
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by J.J
Hello tiamobrit1, June and John wave from Raleigh, we visit M.Beach a couple times a year, and as does DDL, generally in the off season, Oct or Nov and include a visit down to Brookegreen gardens.
Cheers, J J
Hello J and J, thanks for the note . Myrtle Beach is nice is'nt it , let me know next time you come , I'll pop the kettle on ha ha. Are you planning to return home to the UK? I'm hoping to go in 2011, I've been looking at rental houses and I will need a van or large SUV, with all my children I have!. I hope you have had a nice Easter. I went swimming this morning ,at the gym(scared to swim in the ocean) to work some of the eater eggs and scones off. Hope to chat with you later. tiamobrit1.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi there everyone
Have made the decision to move home to the UK Most probably the Monmouth area. Now what to do with my animals. That is the heartbreaking part. Will have to look around very carefully. Hope all of you that are returning have safe journeys and thanks for all the advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.