Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:28 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Tanto
Wow, I feel the same way.
I have a tamed feral who lives outside and a siamese who decided he lived here 4 years ago. Couldn't get the feral in a carrier, I don't think - never mind getting him to the UK......and the siamese hates rain and cold.
Don't even know to which area I'd relocate.......Germany doesn't have a quarantine period.
Just got back from the grocery store - I carefully walked past a man with 2 Dachshunds completely blocking the sidewalk. He called after me saying I hurt his dog's mouth (I didn't even touch him)!!! When I mentioned that he said ' you have an accent' then stood outside my house........It's very disturbing here in LA and sometimes I think it 'is that bad here'!!!
Tanto
Hi Tanto
Like I mentioned above, you wont have any quarantine if you start the pet passport program. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Hello Anna, I didn't go away for Easter but I didn't log on, you know visitors etc. We booked our flights home last week, it's only for 8 weeks but I'm going to pretend for all of that time. Little secret, I still iron my sheets, I know life's too short to stuff a mushroom or iron sheets. Might give it up soon. Lovely to hear from you and you sound so happy
Oh I bet you are getting excited! And 2 months is quite a long time, when are you leaving? I wish the weather would warm up just a little here, it is expected to be 13 Celsius today, that's a far cry from sunny, hot Charleston! Still, I am no noticing it that much, too much of a social life going on!! Yesterday actually was a little more quiet here, the weather was miserable so we didn't get out and my sister spent all day practically preparing for the next lot of guests for tea! This time her son and his girlfriend. She did pheasant breasts, roast veggies, two kinds of potatoes, oh broccoli soup with stilton cheese for starters, then 3 desserts (with lots of cream and creme fraiche, and alcohol usually is part of them!) followed by cheese and biscuits, coffee or tea, mint chocolates!! Not to mention the pre tea drinks and wine with meal! We had just finished and a young couple stopped by, just dropped in to give my sister and OH a wedding invitation. So of course another bottle of wine was opened, more chocolates, and they left 3 glasses later!!! They are getting married at Sandhurst in May, both in the army. Despite rounds in Iraq and Afghanistan, they were very cheerful and fully of stories of funny escapades to tell.

Never ceases to amaze me, how super friendly and social everyone is here compared with the US. Also, how much dairy and alcohol is consumed and no one gets fat or drunk!! Maybe it's the cold weather that stops it

Sorry Trottytrue, I mentioned food again! Today on the agenda is the hairdresser coming to do my sister's hair (her husband shot the pheasant they ate!), here in the home, then we are having lunch with another group of my sister's friends (at the garden centre), and later this afternoon we are invited to my nephew's girlfriend's mother's house for tea/coffee!!!!! We will try and fit a trip to the bank before that, I have to get my check card and arrange for online banking.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh Anna,
Sounds like you went from boring life to busy life in one easy step, Nice.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Gosh Anna,
Sounds like you went from boring life to busy life in one easy step, Nice.
Well, I can't say it was boring, but definitely more quiet!!! Perhaps the colder weather keeps people here more active, got to keep moving otherwise you freeze!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
well only 3 weeks to go-I think my canal boats being attended to (it sank) for those who dont know-I will have to rebuild it when I arrive. I think we are doing OK-we will be teaching even though I haven't doing much since being here-We haven't found a rented house yet as there isn't much around the area(Leighton Buzzard)-We are also having trouble finding someone to look after the cat for 5 months while the rabies shot takes effect-getting good emails from UK as they are encouraging us to return as we have been totally ignored here(music and art)-there are NO teaching positions in Australia-
Its good to hear so may are returning AND doing well-we will have to vote but I dont know if we are NOT on the roll-Gordon Brown or David Cameron? Either the devil u know or Darth Vader-some choice!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thats great Anna, what a relief it must be to know you actually did it !!!
And your on British turf, so all that stress you went through in US is all over, and you even got your British passport in time, Phew --- that was close Huh,
Have Fun with your Sister & family, slow down and smell the roses and you have Malta to look forward to in 3 weeks,
Take good care of yourself,
Rodney.
Hey! Rodney

Where are you we all miss you ??????

Above is your last post on March 26th no mention of any trips..we all hope you are O.K Maybe you've actually bought that new laptop and are setting it up for the internet..lets hope...

cheers...Taffy
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Hi
I brought my 2 dogs and cat over on the QM2. It ended up being cheaper in the long run as it's 500. US dollars for dogs and 300. for cats. They put my husband, 2 teens and I in a quad cabin to save us money and it was fantastic and totally safe and comfortable for the pets. You can also visit them when you like. The website looks really expensive but if you ring them they will work with you. It was six days of bliss then in Southampton Defra were there waiting to check papers (Dont forget to start them on the passport program so you wont have quarantine) and we were off. Really easy. They leave from NY as well, so would be easy for you. You just need to call them soon as the kennels fill quickly. Also the kennels are no small cages, they are really big, roomy kennels. Lovely. My pets are just like more children to me so I know your concern. Think about it. Its really worth it.
What an interesting idea! I looked at the prices and actually, it probably winds up being cheaper overall, because flying the cats over will be expensive. Plus maybe this would be less stressful for them. Thanks for the tip!

aes1, I am so enjoying your updates from England. You must be exhausted with all this socializing!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:00 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
What an interesting idea! I looked at the prices and actually, it probably winds up being cheaper overall, because flying the cats over will be expensive. Plus maybe this would be less stressful for them. Thanks for the tip!

aes1, I am so enjoying your updates from England. You must be exhausted with all this socializing!
It's MUCH less stressful for them. I promise you wont regret it. Its absolutely lovely! One of my dogs made quick friends with a cook who kept her filled with turkey burger treats ( because she misses her own dogs when out to sea) and I think she would have loved to just stay on board with her.
The cat did good as well and they do have time in the 'big' room to run around and play, but the kennels are so big that playing room isnt a problem. the cats have their own dishes and litter box in their kennels. they provide all the food for them (unless you want to supply your own). They feed them Iams. As for you, think luxury....shopping, swimming, a gym, exquisite meals and a good choice!, films, library, shows...and chocolate on your pillow.

Yes, Rodney, where are you??? We are all getting a little concerned!

Anna, wow. Your day makes me tired! You will be ready to relax for a bit when you get to Malta.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by callé
Hi Tanto
Like I mentioned above, you wont have any quarantine if you start the pet passport program. Let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you - your QM2 experience sounded fantastic - the only way to travel, I think!! Will check into the pet passport program.........
Tanto
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
Oh I bet you are getting excited! And 2 months is quite a long time, when are you leaving? I wish the weather would warm up just a little here, it is expected to be 13 Celsius today, that's a far cry from sunny, hot Charleston! Still, I am no noticing it that much, too much of a social life going on!! Yesterday actually was a little more quiet here, the weather was miserable so we didn't get out and my sister spent all day practically preparing for the next lot of guests for tea! This time her son and his girlfriend. She did pheasant breasts, roast veggies, two kinds of potatoes, oh broccoli soup with stilton cheese for starters, then 3 desserts (with lots of cream and creme fraiche, and alcohol usually is part of them!) followed by cheese and biscuits, coffee or tea, mint chocolates!! Not to mention the pre tea drinks and wine with meal! We had just finished and a young couple stopped by, just dropped in to give my sister and OH a wedding invitation. So of course another bottle of wine was opened, more chocolates, and they left 3 glasses later!!! They are getting married at Sandhurst in May, both in the army. Despite rounds in Iraq and Afghanistan, they were very cheerful and fully of stories of funny escapades to tell.

Never ceases to amaze me, how super friendly and social everyone is here compared with the US. Also, how much dairy and alcohol is consumed and no one gets fat or drunk!! Maybe it's the cold weather that stops it

Sorry Trottytrue, I mentioned food again! Today on the agenda is the hairdresser coming to do my sister's hair (her husband shot the pheasant they ate!), here in the home, then we are having lunch with another group of my sister's friends (at the garden centre), and later this afternoon we are invited to my nephew's girlfriend's mother's house for tea/coffee!!!!! We will try and fit a trip to the bank before that, I have to get my check card and arrange for online banking.
Gosh Anna, civilization.....how lovely all that sounds. Dropping by without an appointment - what a concept!!
Am SO enjoying all your stories (and menus) and can't wait for the Malta sequel. Hope the weather starts to warm up soon.....
Tanto

Last edited by Tanto; Apr 6th 2010 at 7:15 pm. Reason: Forgot to add name
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice
Red face Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get online again Tiamobrit. First of all you say you are very active, I don't doubt that with five children between 15 and 3. You have alot of considerations there and no one can guarantee your standard of living. However, there are many of us on this forum who have this pain in our heart and the same worry as you re: ending up in a nursing home over here. Take one step at a time, one day at a time. There are so many of us here to support you. Sometimes we have to be practical because the hardship (financial and otherwise) we might encounter could take away all the joy of reconciling our heart's desire. The nursing home is a long way off for you. In 15 years your little one will be 18 and so much will happen in between. I manage by reading all the lovely posts on this forum, read Beedubya's especially, although everyone has such great wisdom. Watch English programmes on TV, I make myself a cuppa and have a couple of ginger nut biscuits and watch Midsummer - it gives me a fix. There are lots of others now, Move to the Country on a Friday evening is another one. Buy the English Daily Mail - read that with a G & T in the evening I suppose what I'm trying to say is keep your dream in your heart but in the meantime keep the joy in your life Hope that helps.
Mrs Sully I love you!1 I do all those things , I eat crumpets with English marmalade for breakfast, there is a world market near me and I buy Heinz salad cream, and other British foods. Then I have a lager and black at night when all the kids have gone to bed, yum yum. I am still in torment and go over my income all the time , only time will tell I suppose. Look forward to connecting with you again. tiamobrit1
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
Mrs Sully I love you!1 I do all those things , I eat crumpets with English marmalade for breakfast, there is a world market near me and I buy Heinz salad cream, and other British foods. Then I have a lager and black at night when all the kids have gone to bed, yum yum. I am still in torment and go over my income all the time , only time will tell I suppose. Look forward to connecting with you again. tiamobrit1
Follow your Gut Feeling Dear, it will tell you what to do, What can be harder in life then what you have already been through, Nothing can compare to that, I wont deny money is important in this life, but people first, money comes second. GOOD LUCK to you as always.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Been off the site for a few weeks now due to emergency surgery- been a long slow recovery, hoping to go back to work next 2 weeks.

ED- glad that things are finally working out for you, now just need that house to sell and the family be re united.

Relocateme- safe trip home-looking forward to hearing from you once you reach the "other side".

Everyone else who has posted- very interesting read!!

Our plans are to review things again in the fall- we own a USA business which has been struggling and this summer its either going to be make or break.

We are in Canada- and we have one very elderly dog 13 and a half- the Queen Mary gets so booked up so quickly, and we cannot risk her flying, she won't make it.

Take care all
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Aces1...OK I give in what have you been eating today. Had any good cheese or sausages. Not heard anything from Rodney he must be away.
Been working in the garden to keep it looking good need to clean the windows. Small things count when your trying to sell. Needs to look like you have taken care of it.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:11 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

A Big Step today, we had the realator in and have listed our house for sale.
Mrs J is excited, Mr J has lost all feelings after months of decorating.
If we just look at the house then why would we ever want to leave, it looks great with green lawns and azealias - but wait, we just had a taste of 90 deg F weather this weekend and it reminds us why we dislike the hot & humid summers here. And then we think about how will we afford healthcare when we are both out of work, and how he wouldn't want to maintain the house at it's peak again for a sale somewhere doen the line, and how we have a limited family and friend network here and....and...
So here we are, committed at last to selling the house, it's been a 1 year process of building up from "lets stay" to "lets leave"
Hubby has been told that as his office is closing, if he moves himself to UK then they would hire him there, but they won't cover re-location costs cos it's not a Corp need that he be there - oh well, the money would have been nice but it was only a vision so nothing lost and never part of our plan, at least he will have a job to step into when we get back, thats a lot to be grateful for.
And so the trial of selling our house begins.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.