Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 11th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Fish thats the way I think too, I love eating out ocasionaly but just nice wholesome pub food and a pint of bitter to wash it down,
And life is about being healthy, happy and comfortable, oh yes I second all that,
The more I think of how much better my life will be in UK and how much happier I will be being with my Mum and rest of family near by ---- I am now in the stage in my heart that if it were possible for me to go back home next week I would, but things take time, you cant wrap up 36 years over here in just a few weeks, my list of things to do is getting bigger the more I think, and I just dont want to forget even the smallest detail, and when you only have a couple of days a week on your days off to get things done,
I just have to stop complaining and get on with it thats all, once I start I will be alright,

When I get on that plane I want a nice clear mind knowing that I have taken care of everything --- and then all I have to think of is starting a brand new life and adventure, and starting a new chapter in my life,

my flight is still booked for November 30th, and I still want to bring the flight faward, but I dont think that it will be as early as July like I wanted,
You know Fish when you are on your own over here it is so much harder to get yourself motivated to start getting all the things done rather then if you had someone to do it with, it just gets so mindboggaling, and overwhelming,
and I dont even have a house to worry about selling like a lot of people,

Sometimes I just feel like driving to the top of one of our mountains here and screaming my head off and just let it all out,

Well you take care,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, please don't drive off one of those mountains you are screaming from!!!!!

You are right, it can seem very overwhelming and immensely difficult to motivate yourself to do everything necessary to get out of your adopted country after so many years. BUT I was completely on my own in my decision to move, I had no help at all from the US or the UK end. I did everything myself, no support whether mental, emotional or physical (except for everyone on here and that was a HUGE helpthanks!!), people thought I was crazy wanting to leave and so they left me alone thinnking I wouldn't follow through with my decision - till the very last two weeks before my departure date when friends helped me with a yard sale, drove my car away to sell for me, and my son came 3 days before my flight to drive me to the airport. What motivated me? Well, once I had made the decision to do it and my flight was booked, I kept on thinking of all the reasons I wanted to leave the US, all the negatives about staying there. Each time I doubted or stopped, I would think of another negative, another reason I was going. So if I can do it, a ditsy single female, so can you!!!! As for tying up all the loose ends, just do what you can and forget about the rest. Trust me, once you are out of the country, they will be gone from your mind, not important any more, because a huge weight will have been lifted from your shoulders and you will be having too much fun dancing up and down being back where you belong!! Life is for living, not worrying about the material stuff. Since leaving the US I have regained my balance, my true self, my inner child, things just don't bother me any more like they used to - and I can laugh again. I walk around with a constant smile on my face, even when the TV still isn't working (now my landlord is giving me another one today sometime) and my internet and phone went dead yesterday afternoon (I was told it would be a day or two before being fixed). If that had happened back in the US I would have cried. Here, I think oh well, I will have to stay out all day and explore new shops, new places, there is always maƱana..........and lo and behold, once I had thought that, this morning after breakfast, they are working again!! But I am still going to go out for the day So Rodney, and everyone else wondering if they can really do this...............YES YOU CAN - if you stop worrying so much about it!!!
Old May 11th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone, Well, I am now living in Ayr in my new flat. My friend and former landlady helped me move my stuff and I was amazed at what I had already accumulated. My friends and I had a good laugh about where I had put all this stuff, since when she would come over she never saw anything out of place. Spent yesterday recuperating from the move, muscles hurt that I did not know I still had. Did find a few needed things at the Charity shops at excellent prices and did invest in new bed and bedding.
I am still trying to figure out the system for heating and hot water, it seems to be beyond my comprehension for some reason and at the moment is a hit and miss thing. The apartment is in one of those 60, 70's concoctions that the councils came up with, huge complexes with many flats. Now many of them are owned but still it kind of reminds me of Russia during that time
The inside of the flat is very nice and very complete, it has been completely repainted and new kitchen put in. I did rearranged the furniture, boxed all the lace doilies, ceramic knic knacs and all the silk flowers as this is definetly not my style. Right now I have a very large chair sitting in my hallway as I can't get the darn legs off it to roll it into my bedroom, oh well I can at least stop for a rest between the living room and the bedroom.

I was watching Britains Gor Talent and listened to a lady by the name of Janey Cutler, who is 80 year old and she can sing with the best of them. I loved her spirit and her attitude towards life. So please go on You Tube Janey Cutler and it will bring up her video, enjoy it will give you a lift. Let me know if you enjoyed it.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning Everyone, Well, I am now living in Ayr in my new flat. My friend and former landlady helped me move my stuff and I was amazed at what I had already accumulated. My friends and I had a good laugh about where I had put all this stuff, since when she would come over she never saw anything out of place. Spent yesterday recuperating from the move, muscles hurt that I did not know I still had. Did find a few needed things at the Charity shops at excellent prices and did invest in new bed and bedding.
I am still trying to figure out the system for heating and hot water, it seems to be beyond my comprehension for some reason and at the moment is a hit and miss thing. The apartment is in one of those 60, 70's concoctions that the councils came up with, huge complexes with many flats. Now many of them are owned but still it kind of reminds me of Russia during that time
The inside of the flat is very nice and very complete, it has been completely repainted and new kitchen put in. I did rearranged the furniture, boxed all the lace doilies, ceramic knic knacs and all the silk flowers as this is definetly not my style. Right now I have a very large chair sitting in my hallway as I can't get the darn legs off it to roll it into my bedroom, oh well I can at least stop for a rest between the living room and the bedroom.

I was watching Britains Gor Talent and listened to a lady by the name of Janey Cutler, who is 80 year old and she can sing with the best of them. I loved her spirit and her attitude towards life. So please go on You Tube Janey Cutler and it will bring up her video, enjoy it will give you a lift. Let me know if you enjoyed it.
Hello Ed, Glad the move to your new place is out of the way, Wow your previous landlady helped you move, that has to be a rare case, Im sure she was sad to see you leave but happy for you too... How nice of her, Im sure you will go and visit her after a while...

I was thinking we hadn't heard from you and now it all makes sense... Good luck with the Chair... your a winner.

Keep Smiling...
Old May 11th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Ed, Glad the move to your new place is out of the way, Wow your previous landlady helped you move, that has to be a rare case, Im sure she was sad to see you leave but happy for you too... How nice of her, Im sure you will go and visit her after a while...

I was thinking we hadn't heard from you and now it all makes sense... Good luck with the Chair... your a winner.

Keep Smiling...
Hi Fish n Chips, yes I am sure that having your landlady help you move is not a something that happens often, unless it would be to throw your stuff on the sidewalk. Her and I are also very good friends, she was so upset that I was moving on the way home on Saturday she said she started crying and then when she got home the little dog was sitting on my step waiting for me. I do miss them as we had coffee together when I would get home early from work, and of course the Rudy would be over if I was home to spend the day with me.
I have found this move harder than the rest as I think I find the need to begin to put down roots, hopefully that will happen now. Ah, the Chair, the bane of my exsistance at the moment, having stubbed my toes, and banged my heel at least twice, and then there are the fingers pinched twice in the same place, the thumb that I banged with the hanger and all the other bangs and bumps, and you can imagine how blue the air can get.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi Fish n Chips, yes I am sure that having your landlady help you move is not a something that happens often, unless it would be to throw your stuff on the sidewalk. Her and I are also very good friends, she was so upset that I was moving on the way home on Saturday she said she started crying and then when she got home the little dog was sitting on my step waiting for me. I do miss them as we had coffee together when I would get home early from work, and of course the Rudy would be over if I was home to spend the day with me.
I have found this move harder than the rest as I think I find the need to begin to put down roots, hopefully that will happen now. Ah, the Chair, the bane of my exsistance at the moment, having stubbed my toes, and banged my heel at least twice, and then there are the fingers pinched twice in the same place, the thumb that I banged with the hanger and all the other bangs and bumps, and you can imagine how blue the air can get.
That's wonderful ED, good for you!!! It sounds like you are finally getting to where you want and need to be, keep it up, you have inspired me to do what I am doing moving to Malta, it all eventually falls into place if we keep going!!!
Old May 11th 2010, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Kilbride is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ED, As luck would have it, here I am in Kilmarnock about to phone you and cant find your phone number, I have lost the piece of paper I wrote it on.
However, I was determined to see you before I went back to Canada. What did I do, I drove down to Craig Tara, waited a bit outside, then a truck came in, parked to the side of the gate, which was open, the security guy was talking to the driver so I simply drove through the gate down the hill and parked oposite the reception. I went into the reception and asked one of the girls if the canadian lady was here and was told that you no longer work there. Whoops, did I miss a post somewhere. Anyway ED would you PM me with your phone number again.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

BA ARE TO STRIKE AGAIN

Just to let anyone know who will be flying with British Airways they are going on strike again between 18th May to 9th June.
Not all flights will be affected hopefully yours and our will be ok, we fly on 2nd June from Gatwick at the moment it looks like ours will be ok i am keeping my that it does.

Chris
Old May 11th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kilbride
Hi ED, As luck would have it, here I am in Kilmarnock about to phone you and cant find your phone number, I have lost the piece of paper I wrote it on.
However, I was determined to see you before I went back to Canada. What did I do, I drove down to Craig Tara, waited a bit outside, then a truck came in, parked to the side of the gate, which was open, the security guy was talking to the driver so I simply drove through the gate down the hill and parked oposite the reception. I went into the reception and asked one of the girls if the canadian lady was here and was told that you no longer work there. Whoops, did I miss a post somewhere. Anyway ED would you PM me with your phone number again.
Hi Kilbride, Hope you got my PM I am never sure if people get them or not. Now you have me worried about my meeting tomorrow. As I said I have taken a week off for the move, registering with the council etc, so not sure what that was about unless it was my friend from Alaska they were thinking about, she left about 3 weeks ago and whom I just got off the phone with, or it might be just as I said they know something I don't , yet..... Willbe lovely to talk to you.
Old May 11th 2010, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

ED, tried to get your PM but this is what came up

The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts.

Goint to Oban tomorrow, back on Friday, any suggestions eh !!!
Old May 11th 2010, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

ok, this will be my third post
Old May 11th 2010, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

and this will be my forth post
Old May 11th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fish n Chips 56;8557087]
Originally Posted by jasper123

I am now in the stage in my heart that if it were possible for me to go back home next week I would,
many of us feel that way believe me its true

but things take time, you cant wrap up 36 years over here in just a few weeks, my list of things to do is getting bigger the more I think, and I just dont want to forget even the smallest detail, and when you only have a couple of days a week on your days off to get things done,
I just have to stop complaining and get on with it thats all, once I start I will be alright,

When I get on that plane I want a nice clear mind knowing that I have taken care of everything --- and then all I have to think of is starting a brand new life and adventure, and starting a new chapter in my life, You know Fish when you are on your own over here it is so much harder to get yourself motivated to start getting all the things done rather then if you had someone to do it with, it just gets so mindboggaling, and overwhelming.

I do understand Rod...
Sallys advice is exactly what I would tell you, she's right on the money.

One step at a time and you will get there, Everything you need to do is easy it just takes time, If I were you Id get up on my day off so full of life knowing I was going to get things done TODAY, then go do it, make a list of all you need to do, and as you get something done cross it out with a red pen, keep adding to the list and keep doing all you need to do, make sure anything that is time sensitive you do first, so as not to trip up, after a month you can look at all your lists and you will be amazed how much you have got accomplished, I do this all the time.

I know if I got on this forum Im going to get less done in the day so sometimes I just cant look, but on the positive side I get things done that need to be done, maybe that might help you too, the messages are still waiting for me when I sign on.
Cheer up Rod you are going in the right direction and that is all that matters.
Thanx so much Fish n Chips, and Sally and Anna, and all, good advice, when it all comes down to it though nobody can do this for me, I can only do it on my own, and a magic wand cant help me either,
So Fish thats what I will do, list all the time sensitive things first and just get up on day off and start taking care of them,
And then take care of all the other stuff like getting a lot of boxes and start going through all my stuff and packing them away so I can store them at my friends garage until I think of what to do with them, soon we will have to have a nice garage sell over his house, as soon as I can get rid of most of my furniture and when the place starts to look quite empty I will feel a lot better, all I need is to keep one recliner to sit on and a kitchen table & TV until I leave on the plane and I will be a happy camper,
Rodney.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ed, wonderful, you sound much happier now, the flat sounds good, sad about the little pooch though --- he will miss you a lot, but maybe you can visit pooch and landlady for tea one day, I can just picture the little dog jumping up & down and wagging his little tail when he sees you,
Well done Ed,
Rodney.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jasper123;8559163]
Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Thanx so much Fish n Chips, and Sally and Anna, and all, good advice, when it all comes down to it though nobody can do this for me, I can only do it on my own, and a magic wand cant help me either,
So Fish thats what I will do, list all the time sensitive things first and just get up on day off and start taking care of them,
And then take care of all the other stuff like getting a lot of boxes and start going through all my stuff and packing them away so I can store them at my friends garage until I think of what to do with them, soon we will have to have a nice garage sell over his house, as soon as I can get rid of most of my furniture and when the place starts to look quite empty I will feel a lot better, all I need is to keep one recliner to sit on and a kitchen table & TV until I leave on the plane and I will be a happy camper,
Rodney.
Back in the day I used to be a grocery night foreman, stocking shelves etc, we'd compact many boxes that were damaged or of no use but the good ones we would throw outside for customers.
Boxes can be hard to find sometimes, you need to be at your grocery store early before someone else takes them, groceries are stocked at night so 7am is a good time to find them but of course 5am is better, some people will come and take the whole lot so its a case of being early.
Old May 11th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know if anyone who has returned to the UK has tried to get a MORTGAGE or can shed light on their experiences in this regard please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.