Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 7th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Lara45
So today is my final day at work .. five hours to go. I took the day off Tuesday and was "topped and tailed"!! i.e dentist, optician and hairdresser. Tonight we're off to my bosses house, down the bottom of the road so not far to crawl home after a few drinks!!, for a party they're putting on.

Household items, etc,etc were boxed up and picked up last Friday so they're on their way. We now have five suitcases between the three of us and have to go and get another one tomorrow - it's going to be painful paying the excess to BA but at least we get to take everything we want - and Im having a final day tomorrow just to get any odds and sods.

It's going to be a very strange feeling getting on that plane Sunday ... this week, I've had a few "emotional" outbursts, well not outbursts really, just me sitting in the bathroom on my own shedding a few tears. I think it's just a case of looking around me, seeing everything familiar, knowing how hard I've worked here since our arrival in 2004 - and now the house is just plain sad and empty, our two cats and two dogs have gone which is just about breaking our hearts. (I know it sounds so so hard and selfish but I'm deliberately trying not to even think about them - I just feel so very quilty - so am trying to focus on other things for now).

My daughter is so happy about coming home - yes, she's nervous about starting a new school and making new friends but I've reassured her that everything is going to be OK. She, like me, just wants to be closer to our family there.

MY OH is, in his words "getting antsy"!! He's beside himself with excitement and just can't wait to get on that plane!!

So anyway, from now until the time we get on that plane we're going to be busy - the next time I post will be when we're back on home ground - keep your fingers crossed for us!!
Well Lara its almost here, a couple of days and you and hubby and daughter will be on that plane, me and I am sure everyone else is rooting for you and we all hope you have a nice comfortable and safe flight and hope that when you arrive on UK soil from then on everything goes good for you all,
Fingers crossed,:fingerscr ossed:
Rodney.
Old May 7th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Anna that initial 6 months you talk about --- is the visa they give you only good for 6 months? is that a working visa? and if you get a Job then do you have to renew the visa after the first 6 months?
Rodney.
Rodney, you don't need a visa to live in Malta if you are a UK citizen. I may have to leave for a weekend after 3 months, not sure about that yet, but certainly once you get a job you can live here indefinitely. The six months is just the length of time for a long let on a flat, and my own personal deadline for making it work and being able to afford it here without a job. If I haven't found one at the end of that time, i will probably have to return to the UK.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

To Lara45 and Family...you have turned the page and a new chapter has started...good luck to all of you in your new adventure and have a great flight on sunday...

cheers...Taffy
Old May 8th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

All the best Lara 45!....and to all who are making their dreams a reality by doing the return to UK (or Malta)...it may be a long road once you get there too, unless like some lucky ones ...everything is laid on for you ..., its the journey that gets you to where you want to be.. is it not now?

I have been getting around to some of our beautiful places in UK..too much beauty to describe in the neatly groomed gardens and well kept buildings.

Wandering around them gives you many ideas of what you can accomplish with your own things and marvel at the ingenuity of the owners

Never seen so many novel and practical gate latches!

A few places I have visited: National Trust houses ..Charlecote Park home of the Lucy Family who are still resident in part of the house,in the parks there I saw dalmation-spotted sheep from Portugal..this house had huge tables inlaid with precious stones of stunning colours..the guide said the family would be millionaires of their day... each inheritant marrying a wealthy person,.Apparently Shakespeare poached a deer in the park and appeared before the local judge who was none other than Thomas Lucy the owner of Charlecote!!

Chastleton house which had met with the opposite sort of treatment and never really been touched since the 1600's...the last lady there died only 3yrs ago..it was a "make and mend house"..a bed was clearly made from a good door with a keyhole still in the footboard

Temple Balsall was a most picturesque rural idyll in the midlands.
Quaint cottages, an old hall and a Cathedral in the forest. built by the Knights Templar and the old hall used as their court. Some benefactors were the Sir Thomas Lucy family.

Inside the warm church were colourful stained glass depictions of the crusading knights in their garb and armour. Several knightly heads were dotted around the ceiling perimeter

Moreton-in-the-Marsh, Warwick, Stow, Bourton-on-the-Water, and many more places were just a delight to the eyes on my visit

Three weeks ago I went into local DVLA to exchange my Cdn drivers lic for a UK one...I took all rel docs including passport, b/cert ..all vetted by desk officer.

The envelope was returned today after 3 weeks from Swansea with what I thought would be the drivers licence in ..it was returned asking me to send my original passport.

Flying out in 9 days to Oz, ...........so bitterly dissapointed at this service...I wanted to use the licence to send away for other stuff so it would all be ready when I get back in August

One thing here is you must have a telephone or cell phone to contact govt service offices..they no longer like to speak face to face to a person.

emailing is often unavailable. A set of answer offerances are shown online but none are comprehensive enought to be conducive to competent service

Failing all this you must write in on paper and wait several weeks

I did not get any temp licence given to me in case only a receipt for the money from the DVLA..good job I didnt want to drive

You are allowed to drive here for a year but one day you will have to change over.
Old May 8th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Relocateme
All the best Lara 45!....and to all who are making their dreams a reality by doing the return to UK (or Malta)...it may be a long road once you get there too, unless like some lucky ones ...everything is laid on for you ..., its the journey that gets you to where you want to be.. is it not now?

I have been getting around to some of our beautiful places in UK..too much beauty to describe in the neatly groomed gardens and well kept buildings.

Wandering around them gives you many ideas of what you can accomplish with your own things and marvel at the ingenuity of the owners

Never seen so many novel and practical gate latches!

A few places I have visited: National Trust houses ..Charlecote Park home of the Lucy Family who are still resident in part of the house,in the parks there I saw dalmation-spotted sheep from Portugal..this house had huge tables inlaid with precious stones of stunning colours..the guide said the family would be millionaires of their day... each inheritant marrying a wealthy person,.Apparently Shakespeare poached a deer in the park and appeared before the local judge who was none other than Thomas Lucy the owner of Charlecote!!

Chastleton house which had met with the opposite sort of treatment and never really been touched since the 1600's...the last lady there died only 3yrs ago..it was a "make and mend house"..a bed was clearly made from a good door with a keyhole still in the footboard

Temple Balsall was a most picturesque rural idyll in the midlands.
Quaint cottages, an old hall and a Cathedral in the forest. built by the Knights Templar and the old hall used as their court. Some benefactors were the Sir Thomas Lucy family.

Inside the warm church were colourful stained glass depictions of the crusading knights in their garb and armour. Several knightly heads were dotted around the ceiling perimeter

Moreton-in-the-Marsh, Warwick, Stow, Bourton-on-the-Water, and many more places were just a delight to the eyes on my visit

Three weeks ago I went into local DVLA to exchange my Cdn drivers lic for a UK one...I took all rel docs including passport, b/cert ..all vetted by desk officer.

The envelope was returned today after 3 weeks from Swansea with what I thought would be the drivers licence in ..it was returned asking me to send my original passport.

Flying out in 9 days to Oz, ...........so bitterly dissapointed at this service...I wanted to use the licence to send away for other stuff so it would all be ready when I get back in August

One thing here is you must have a telephone or cell phone to contact govt service offices..they no longer like to speak face to face to a person.

emailing is often unavailable. A set of answer offerances are shown online but none are comprehensive enought to be conducive to competent service

Failing all this you must write in on paper and wait several weeks

I did not get any temp licence given to me in case only a receipt for the money from the DVLA..good job I didnt want to drive

You are allowed to drive here for a year but one day you will have to change over.
Happy to hear you are able to get about and see some of the beautiful English countryside. Great that these days are proving to be filled with pleasures before you fly off again to a new land! Sorry to hear though that the license didn't come through. If not intending to drive, what exactly did you need it for? I didn't do anything with my US one as I have no intentions of driving, either in the UK or in Malta. Here in Malta it is so easy to get around by foot and bus. The Maltese drive like maniacs so I am glad to be on two feet instead of 4 wheels! I am told they are even worse than the Italians!! Speaking of which, it helps if you know some Italian in order to figure out what you are buying in the supermarket! A lot of the products, such as biscuits, canned stuff, soap powders, are imported from Italy and have instructions/ingredients listed in every language except Engish!!!! I find myself reading the Italian, German, French or Dutch sometimes to understand what I am getting! But who cares when you are walking around the supermarket with a buzz having just had a free sample shot of Baileys Irish Cream to drink in a plastic cup (something to do with Mother's Day tomorrow!) at 11 in the morning!!! After the supermarket I began my two minute walk back home with my backpack full of assorted Italian/Maltese goodies, and I passed a group of young men and women wearing white aprons (maybe from a nearby restaurant?) playing Japanese drums outside Next and Clarks shops, with a man wearing a top hat and black and white coat on stilts accompanying them! I kid you not!!! Having only ever lived in a big city one year (London many moons ago), I am guessing that living in Sliema, Malta is like being in Manhatten but with the sea in one direction and old Arab like buildings in the other. I am sure the novelty of being here in constant sunshine and reasonable temperatures (for now) will wear off one day and I shall miss the green, green grass of the UK. But not yet. This is an experience I am soooooo happy I managed to make happen. Everyone, again I say, whatever your dream, just keep visualizing it and it WILL come true if you can change your attitude and see past the obstacles. Update on the cable TV installation. Cable box works. TV set doesn't. Nice technician (who recommends getting the hydrofoil over to Sicily for the day - yet to do)is coming back Monday (he had stopped by on way home after work to check my set out on Friday) to give me a 'loaner' whilst he takes my TV back to his shop to repair. Of course the landlord pays for all this, so no worries there. BBC can wait, too much entertainment going on outside my window for now.....
Old May 8th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=aes1;8551480]Happy to hear you are able to get about and see some of the beautiful English countryside. Great that these days are proving to be filled with pleasures before you fly off again to a new land! Sorry to hear though that the license didn't come through. If not intending to drive, what exactly did you need it for? I didn't do anything with my US one as I have no intentions of driving, either in the UK or in Malta. Here in Malta it is so easy to get around by foot and bus.

Thank you for your good wishes Anna!..in the post I mentioned that I needed to have the licence so I could send away for other documents,.here's the deal:

A driver's licence is an official pce of documentation showing your name and where you live on one page..sometimes a person in UK may be asked to provide a pce of documentation for rental purposes, voting app, opening a bank account,to apply for a bus pass,.the instances are in fact legion....

here in Uk a person may have to send away this proof to obtain other documents and I can afford to be without the drivers lic instead of be without a passport. going thru a replacement for loss of passport is a mission on its own.

As an added insurance,....say for instance something went awry and I returned to Canada, I can then swap the UK back to Canadian with no problems...get a vehicle and drive straight away!

I emailed Manitoba MPIC this morning and told them the licence ran out and I am overseas.....No problem Eileen....do it when you get back....save this email!...

Again an added insurance......you never know where you will end up ...just like the Brits in US getting US citizenship in case they have to return

My Canadian licence ran out May 5th ...I dont want not to have a document that may very well save my arse in a given situation...

If you recall Ed needed a paper with her name and addr on it to rent a place at the outset and there were tons of suggestions about rent books,landladies letters and so on...that was pretty much soon as she decided to move.

Hope this helps
Old May 8th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Relocateme, do you mean the very first original passport you ever got, or your current one? Elizabeth
Old May 8th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Rodney, you don't need a visa to live in Malta if you are a UK citizen. I may have to leave for a weekend after 3 months, not sure about that yet, but certainly once you get a job you can live here indefinitely. The six months is just the length of time for a long let on a flat, and my own personal deadline for making it work and being able to afford it here without a job. If I haven't found one at the end of that time, i will probably have to return to the UK.
Hi Anna,
OK now I understand, you probably explained it all in previous posts but I forgot, so you are giving yourself 6 months to make it like finding a Job and whatnot, yes good idea and by then you will know whether you want to stay or return to UK,
Now I just googled cheap flights from London to Malta and the very cheapest round trip flight that I came up with was Malta airlines for 130 pounds all inclusive of taxes and fees, and thats for a 7 day stay, of course not including hotel, now that is not at all a bad price is it, 3.5 hour flight from London,
So dont be surprised Anna if a whole bunch of us Brit World traveling expats come knocking on your door one day in the near future
seriously though everyone out there, wouldn't it be a nice break for a lot of us that could swing the little trip, of course circumstances would prevent a lot of us from doing it but some of us could and it would be a real nice opportunity for a lot of us to meet each other ---- and also give some good support to you Anna, anyway you take good care and have fun in the sun while you can,
Rodney.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

For those who moved back without meanng to be too intrusive - aside from 401k, pension monies etc how much did you have or take in liquid savings to return to UK? I think about doing it but not sure how much would be needed..
Old May 9th 2010, 2:40 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fulwood
For those who moved back without meanng to be too intrusive - aside from 401k, pension monies etc how much did you have or take in liquid savings to return to UK? I think about doing it but not sure how much would be needed..

Well everyone's situation will be different, but we're going back with some clothes, a few books, a small box of household bits and bobs, and somewhere between £15,000-£20,000. Once we get there, we'll be starting over from scratch. We are in our 50s.

We've spent the last 2-3 years just hanging on here in the States because we didn't think we had "enough" money to return. In the meantime, my husband's father in London (who longed for our return) died very unexpectedly. If we could do things over, we would have gone back sooner with whatever we could have scrounged up at the time.

As it is now, we're selling everything we have/cashing in everything we have in order to make the move. It's risky and there are no guarantees - but we are going to give it our best shot.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:43 am
DDL

Well, as if my move to England won't be hard enough leaving my 3 grandsons (the twins are 9 and their older brother is 11) - today my son and his wife announced that she is expecting their first child in December!!!!!!!!

Have you ever cried tears of joy and sorrow at the same time?

I now have.

Old May 9th 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
Well, as if my move to England won't be hard enough leaving my 3 grandsons (the twins are 9 and their older brother is 11) - today my son and his wife announced that she is expecting their first child in December!!!!!!!!

Have you ever cried tears of joy and sorrow at the same time?

I now have.

Hi Denise

I know exactly how you feel we will be doing the same thing leaving our two grandsons here. I call our move bitter sweet The only thing i can say is you have to try and do the best thing for you and your husband however hard it is. You never want to look back and have regrets when it's too late to do anything.
I'm sending you a (((((big hug))))) you are not alone i do know exactly how you feel, i feel the same way.

Take care Chris
Old May 9th 2010, 3:36 am
DDL

Thank you Chris, but I am sorry that you are in this position as well. It is not easy but these moves are probably not easy for all of us in at least one way or another.

A new grandchild wasn't even "on the radar" so I guess I'm just still in shock.

Hugs back to you ~ and Happy Mother's Day.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Relocateme;8551393]

Moreton-in-the-Marsh, Warwick, Stow, Bourton-on-the-Water, and many more places were just a delight to the eyes on my visit.

Eileen. I'm so happy you are doing better these days, I know you were frustrated at first but already you seem to be fitting in to the UK way of life, getting around and enjoying the sights, it sounds wonderful.

Last year I went to the places mentioned above, I just love those cute little villages, Britain at its best.

I agree on the Drivers licence info you provided, we all have plans but none of us know what will really happen, its best to keep these documents and others up to date just incase things dont go as planned.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Anna,
OK now I understand, you probably explained it all in previous posts but I forgot, so you are giving yourself 6 months to make it like finding a Job and whatnot, yes good idea and by then you will know whether you want to stay or return to UK,
Now I just googled cheap flights from London to Malta and the very cheapest round trip flight that I came up with was Malta airlines for 130 pounds all inclusive of taxes and fees, and thats for a 7 day stay, of course not including hotel, now that is not at all a bad price is it, 3.5 hour flight from London,
So dont be surprised Anna if a whole bunch of us Brit World traveling expats come knocking on your door one day in the near future
seriously though everyone out there, wouldn't it be a nice break for a lot of us that could swing the little trip, of course circumstances would prevent a lot of us from doing it but some of us could and it would be a real nice opportunity for a lot of us to meet each other ---- and also give some good support to you Anna, anyway you take good care and have fun in the sun while you can,
Rodney.
Yes, super idea, everyone come visit and we can have a grand reunion!!! Rodney, look at Ryanair prices, I came with them (yes they add on charges for ridiculous things, but still are pretty cheap) and it cost me £26 one way before taxes. If you don't check in baggage you can save money too. That price was from Leeds/Bradford, so I think it would be less from London. Of course it all depends on the season, the prices the following week were more, so you have to check around. I can recommend a nice hostel up the road from me at 30 euros a night with continental breakfast (check on line Comfort Inn Sliema), also there is the Days Inn further down and I think that is the going rate for here. If you want something more upscale and in a different area I am sure there are plenty of choices. And I have 2 spare bedrooms!!!!

Denise, you are right about money. You have to just dive in and make the decision to leave, senseless putting it off, life goes on whether we move or not. There is only this moment to enjoy, everything else is totally beyond our control. As you say, the grandchild was not planned and unexpected. Yes, it is tough for you to choose to leave family behind, but I have found in the past, if I stay in a place for fear of losing my friends/family, I find that they go and move instead of me!!!! Unless we want to continue following our loved ones around the world for the rest of our lives, we don't really have a choice. Always, always, go with your instincts and everything else will fall into place.

As for News from Malta. Yesterday I learned it is not a good idea to leave your washing hanging on the roof overnight. Especially when there is a strong wind blowing. I had left a couple of items hanging because they were not yet dry and when I went back up to retrieve them, one was missing!!!! My new yellow nightgown from M & S (bought before I left the UK) came loose from its clothes pegs and had flown away over the roofs of Malta in the wind I only wish I had seen it go!!! What a sight that must have been!!! Later on I saw my first sunset over the Med. Some of the expats I have met so far and I drove over to the Northwest coast of Malta and watched the sun come down over the water. So beautiful. Today I am catching the bus into Valletta to browse around the Sunday market in the search of a wooden spoon. Hard to find and expensive - 4 euros for one!!! Unfortunately, on an island, everything is imported and so it costs more. So if anyone comes to visit me, I have a long list of similar items to bring with you please!!!

Happy Mothers' Day to everyone!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.