Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Rodney... I wish you all the happiness when you return home... your Mum will be over the moon, just knowing you are going home will keep her going. I remember the heartache of leaving my Mum on the doorstep when I left to come back to the US when she was 90 just 3 years later she was gone, alot of it was to do with her being on her own and not having anyone to take care of her. You will sleep easy at night many of us waited too long to make the move. Can't wait to see your postings once you get home.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Hi Jasper123.. Rodney, yes, it is very interesting to wonder if all the decisions we made in the past had been otherwise...where we would be now. Did you ever find out what happened to Marg? How her life turned out, where she is now?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
We visit Llandudno every time we go home it's a beautiful resort and also we go to Conwy for a walk about castle walls,smallest house on the dock and then have a pot of tea in those wonderful Victorian Cafes, great Edward the 1st castle there. We've been many times down the Conwy Valley on the train and of course stopping in Betws-y-Coed to shop. The more I talk about North Wales I get those goose bumps working...cheers...Taffy
Oh Betws-y-Coed, one of my fave shopping places, that's where I bought my brass reproduction mining lamp many years ago, I will definitely be going there this year
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Runcorn!!!!! I was born there!!!! At least that's where we lived till I was 6!!! I was actually born in Chester hospital, does that make it better??
But my father was born and raised Runcorn, his sister lived in Frodsham till she died. We moved to Middlesbrough, then in North Yorkshire, but my dad was always proud of being from Cheshire!!
Wow Anna!!!! What a blimmin' small world eh? Do you still have any aunties and uncles or any other family there? Maybe we could meet in your home town!! My ex-husband and my kids are all Runcornians too!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Latest Update from Manitoba ...Waaaaah...its all happening here now!

Got an offer from Buyer #1 with July 1 possession a week ago and now another offer this last weekend from Buyer #2 for ...get this
March 13th!

(Plus throw in the 42" TV, Home theatre, DVD player et al.)

Good job I got the 48hr clause.. I have decided I have waited long enough for the sale of the house. I have had the place on the market since October. So I am going to go with the March 13th offer. Dont want to be here til July. It will turn into another year 3 months after that.

As soon as I get the nod from the lawyer I am handing in notice at work..I will find out in a day or two whether buyer #1 will go for it.

I have posted all the small stuff for sale on Kijiji Winnipeg (a free buy and sell site) and I am suprised to find that many buyers want the stuff delivered to their homes otherwise not interested in it.

Found digs in the city till I can get taxes and other errands done before the off. I have much to do once I get there but right now all attention is on selling and getting rid of furniture and small stuff.

travel:

I was looking for a backpak for travel.
Now I see some airlines posting only a "carry on" bag allowed 22 x 18 x 8 and laptop in bag with accessories only...

I have a feeling this may be for entry into US though, must check into that.

My memories of Wales:

Eight years in a row my parents (with my mom's family) all went together to Saundersfoot/Wisemans Bridge/Tenby area in Pembrokeshire, Wales and what wonderful times we had. We liked it so much we didn't want anywhere else.
It suited the family needs for distance and accomm for our large extended family
We stayed in caravans in the same field and we kids spent the majority of our time running our legs off in the grass and down to the beach.

Plenty of cousins with our bucket & spades, fishing nets etc,. jumping over the rocks looking for shrimp in shallow, sandy pools for supper. Boy we were so excited with our new equipment!..Our Dad was all for it!...he and Mom ended up with a great meal.

The best part of staying in the caravan was when Dad would get up in the morning to make us all a cup of tea.. He would light the calor-gas stove and I just loved the smell of it..then I would doze off back to sleep till Mom came round with the tea..Oh what joy!!!!

It was an affordable holiday for our respective parents as there were lots of kids in those days. This was before TV came out. Our families got together, sang songs and told stories for entertainment. There was always a place on a grown-ups knee. We used to go on walks in the evenings til it got dark.

We used to stop en-route in the Brecon Hills for breakfast at a place called The Anchor cafe. They served up wonderful flavourful bacon, golden eggs and thick toast...I returned to the Brecon on one of my trips home and visited the South Wales Borderers Museum to see the Zulu artifacts. I must say the drive and the surrounding countryside is breathtaking. I look forward to going to Wales when I get home and doing it all again. Thanks for mentioning Wales for it brought back so many happy memories
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:42 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you've got offers to buy, Relocateme. As you say, it's all happening!

Bev
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:44 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

To our fellow Canadian members here is my first question......RRSP's what is the best thing to do when we make the move back home. I believe there are two scenarios..

1) Cash in and pay the 25% with holding tax....
2) Leave it in Canada and draw small amounts when needed....
It really depends on whether you need the money, doesn't it? I doubt you can get better investment return here than in Canada (or worse) so if you can, leave it there. If you need it later, you can take it out later.

Bev
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Taffy Duck, It was very interesting reading about you emigrating to Canada in 1975 to Marry a Canadian Girl, almost the same thing happened to me, I emigrated to Canada from my Birthplace of Portsmouth England in 1974,
In 1976 I met a Canadian Girl, we dated for a while, got engaged, our wedding day was set for October 1977, her name was Marg, she was from Vancouver Island, a place called chamanus, wrong spelling I think, could have been chamanas or something like that cant remember, but we met in Vancouver, BC, anyway the evening before the wedding she called the whole thing off, her Father was mad as hell cause he had falked out $5,000 for the church service and reception for all the family and friends, apparently not refundable either,
Marg was 24 and I was 32 I think,
So anyway that was that, of course I was broken hearted not for the first time in my life though I may add, but life must go on,
So I thought well what shall I do now, shall I just chuck it all and go back to England to live or what, well I did not want to stay around there in Canada so I decided on the spare of the moment to just pack my bags and hop on a plane for Los Angeles, not quite sure why, not too much thinking went into it, I was kind of just mixed up I guess, chain reaction or something like that, so anyhoo that started my life in U.S. after a short while I ended up in Reno Nevada and lived there for many years and now been in Vegas for last 14 years, so here I am 33 years later and still here in U.S. --------- but not for long
Rodney.
PS life is strange for all of us, if you did this way back then instead of that, or stayed where you were and thought it through before you just up and left, or what if she didn't call off the wedding and we got married and had a brood of kids and lived happily everafter like the fairy tales, I would still be in Canada, would have lived a completely different life, if that all happened would I be doing what I am doing now and returning to England 33 years later? probably not, or who knows,
Hello Rodney yes fate works in strange ways any road we take changes life. It's great to hear you are finally moving back you must be so excited. My mum is also still living she'll be 90 this June and as I'm the baby of five I imagine that'll we will all be with her this June to celebrate her birthday.....cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

You could do a lot worse at the moment than taking the 25% witholding tax route and change the surplus into pounds at the present exchange rates. Compared to rates of the recent past the difference may well just about 'pay' for the tax, then when the money comes to the UK it's just regular savings that you'll only get taxed on interest/dividends earned. As bad as the savings rates are in the UK at the moment, they're still better than what you'd get in Canada, though maybe not the case if your funds are invested in stocks/mutual funds?

I guess it all depends on when you plan to return, what the exchange rates are then, and what you're invested in at the time, ie can you get out ahead of the game?

To our fellow Canadian members here is my first question......RRSP's what is the best thing to do when we make the move back home. I believe there are two scenarios..

1) Cash in and pay the 25% with holding tax....
2) Leave it in Canada and draw small amounts when needed....

My understanding is that when you cash out and pay the Canadian Government the 25% tax you can then re-invest the money in Britain or use it to help you settle down.

On the other hand if you leave it in Canada and withdraw small amounts at a time there is no tax as you are are not a resident, however you must pay British Tax as income coming in.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bevm
It really depends on whether you need the money, doesn't it? I doubt you can get better investment return here than in Canada (or worse) so if you can, leave it there. If you need it later, you can take it out later.

Bev
Thanks Bev, I think no matter where your money is you don't seem to get hardly any interest however HSBC in the UK does offer a higher amount you can place into a tax free savings account. Here in Canada you can put up to 5000 dollars per year, the HSBC in the UK if you were born before 1960 you can place up to 5100 pounds which is almost double. I guess it's all part of due diligence, mounds of info on the internet...what would we have done before computers, for one thing we would not have this wonderful thread...cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyone
You could do a lot worse at the moment than taking the 25% witholding tax route and change the surplus into pounds at the present exchange rates. Compared to rates of the recent past the difference may well just about 'pay' for the tax, then when the money comes to the UK it's just regular savings that you'll only get taxed on interest/dividends earned. As bad as the savings rates are in the UK at the moment, they're still better than what you'd get in Canada, though maybe not the case if your funds are invested in stocks/mutual funds?

I guess it all depends on when you plan to return, what the exchange rates are then, and what you're invested in at the time, ie can you get out ahead of the game?
Thank you for the insite you are exactly correct in what you saying, the exchange rate from C$ to pounds is very favourable at the moment the best it's been in years. At the moment I think the savings rate is better in the UK than Canada and the e-isa accounts are much better. I don't think it's possible to move your savings prior to leaving Canada as you have to become a non-resident, we plan to move back by the end of 2011 so we shall keep are fingers crossed. Let's hope the exchange rate is still good and that inflation hasn't gone crazy. The other thing is the price of housing a few years ago I would have found it impossible to move back and in fact thought we were going to be trapped here forever, even though the housing in Canada has taken a dive the exchange rate if it stays the way it is I can see a light at the end of the tunnel...cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well Done, Relocateme, I am very happy for you, back in the UK for summer, what could be better.

Our house will be back in the market in March, so wish us luck. If it does not sell by the end of July and hopefully I will have been working for a few months by then, he will still move over. Of course we are hoping that the house does sell, but what will happen will happen.

Tomorrow is the big day so just making sure that I have everything that I need. Heard today that we are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow, just my luck, oh well!!

My goodness what it seems I have missed out on, never having vacationed in Wales, sounds like where I really need to spend some time. Unfortunately my familly always seemed to travel out of the UK to somewhere in Europe, which wasn't so great for a pre-teenager, I would of enjoyed camping on the beach in a caravan much more, as I do today. We did go to Windsor for a holiday one summer to visit family, I remember tree lined streets, the trees were almond trees and that really seemed to impress me for some reason. I was my dads girl, and the best times were spent fly fishing with him or collecting "welks" and cooking them on the beach.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Feb 23rd 2010 at 1:50 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

You're correct about having to wait 'til you're in the UK, ie a non-resident.
For what it's worth, I expect there's a whole lot of bad news to come out of the UK economy over the next while and we may end up with an even lower exchange rate for you in 2011 who knows eh?

You could end up in the situation where your Canadian funds are worth more pounds than they've been in years, while at the same time homes in the UK have taken a sizeable drop in price, while at the same time your funds are able to earn a lot more interest than they do today

And why not eh? What's great for some will be awful for others no doubt. I wouldn't want to be coming to Canada to live right now compared to previous times that's for sure.

....but a great time for those thinking of returning to the UK

Thank you for the insite you are exactly correct in what you saying, the exchange rate from C$ to pounds is very favourable at the moment the best it's been in years. At the moment I think the savings rate is better in the UK than Canada and the e-isa accounts are much better. I don't think it's possible to move your savings prior to leaving Canada as you have to become a non-resident, we plan to move back by the end of 2011 so we shall keep are fingers crossed. Let's hope the exchange rate is still good and that inflation hasn't gone crazy. The other thing is the price of housing a few years ago I would have found it impossible to move back and in fact thought we were going to be trapped here forever, even though the housing in Canada has taken a dive the exchange rate if it stays the way it is I can see a light at the end of the tunnel...cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Hi Calle, thans for the info. I guess there is no getting away from the transfer fees. As for the cashpoint, you did well there! I have done tons of research online for different banks' cards, and they all have a percentage fee of 1 to 3% for using a visa or mastercard abroad, plus some have a $ fee per transaction, ranging from $2 upwards. It all adds up!! I was thinking of bringing the maximum amount allowed in cash over on the plane, however, I am now hearing that there have been extra security and limits set making it harder to do - maybe that's just in Europe??? Anyone else heard that??
It works out much cheaper if you use a currency broker like XE Trade or Forex to transfer money. No fees and a better exchange rate.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone.

I've been lurking here for a while, I found this thread back in mid December, since then I have read every posting, every page, I'm hooked, I have to say I have such a lot of respect for every single one of you, those moving and those with advice, its amazing how so many of you older folks have the guts to go back home, and it does take guts, never have I felt so normal, Wow this is wonderful, I cant believe other people think like me. I want to return to the old country too, but more on that in a later post.

Id love to name all of you but I'm sure Id miss someone and don't want to offend, I will thank trottytrue for the first post on this wonderful thread and what a thread it is, will it ever end?.

I have to say EDs postings have blown me away, from the preperation in Canada, to the flight back, renting a room, banks, jobs, phone calls, bus rides and shopping, all your ups and downs, Lady you've got passion, I know you will be happy, I think it took so many guts to leave your husband and pets behind, I'm not sure I could have done that, I was hoping you'd have that call centre job by now, I certainly have lots of hope for your interview on Wednesday, Good Luck on the Job and Good Luck on the sale of your home.

Id like to also remember Annie188, she hasn't posted in a while, she lost her son aged 24 to leukemia, I have to say her story brought tears to my eyes, I wish you well Annie.

I'm sure that most people that emigrate never can forsee difficult times where the family will be tore apart for one reason or another, if we only knew what would happen, In reality I suppose its inevitable that it will happen to some of us.

Right now Id like to address the Citizenship Issue, I know some have had difficulty with that, and believe me it was difficult for me too, I wasn't thrilled about renouncing my British citizenship, I felt like a traitor, I just figured it was some thing I had to do, I'm sure many of you know what I mean.

OK the issue is this, my experience may be rare and I'm not trying to scare anyone, My wife and I took our citizenship test on the same day about 14 years ago, she was told to swear in weeks later, I had to wait 18 months, My problem was finger prints, there was something different about my fingerprints that caused a problem.

I had my original fingerprints taken when I went for my Interview at the INS office, months later I hadn't been called to get sworn in and couldn't get an answer over the phone why, people were not very helpfuI, later I received blank fingerprint cards and was told to go to the police dept and get them done again, I sent them to Lincoln Nebraska as instructed and waited, months later still no contact for a swearing in, I called the INS only to find out they had been destroyed, this happened numerous times about once every four months.

Finally I was told to go back to the INS office where they took numerous amounts of prints, individual finger prints were checked and sets were pieced together by a finger print expert, I'm not saying this is normal by any means, it was just a big hassle and very frustrating at the time, I made many phone calls trying to find out what had happened to my fingerprints and why they were being destroyed, I was kept in the dark all along, all they would say is my fingerprints had been destroyed and would have to be redone.

My point is, DONT WAIT, you might get held up like I was, you can never foresee what problems might come your way.

Follow your gut feeling.

Enjoy Every Day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.