Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

WOW Relocateme you are sure moving fast now!!!!! Great news for you and thanks for those lovely tales of the good old days, I can remember the Calor Gas in caravans too, had forgotten all abou that

Good luck for tomorrow ED - you know we are all rooting for you, and if anybody deserves a job it is you!!

Welcome Fish and Chip and Mrs Fish and Chips and hello to everybody else out there tonight in cyberland, either packing, selling up, looking forward to coming home or here already and nice and snuggly watching (American LOL!) telly

Barb
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
WOW Relocateme you are sure moving fast now!!!!! Great news for you and thanks for those lovely tales of the good old days, I can remember the Calor Gas in caravans too, had forgotten all abou that

Good luck for tomorrow ED - you know we are all rooting for you, and if anybody deserves a job it is you!!

Welcome Fish and Chip and Mrs Fish and Chips and hello to everybody else out there tonight in cyberland, either packing, selling up, looking forward to coming home or here already and nice and snuggly watching (American LOL!) telly

Barb
You lucky thing ..already there with your feet up..

Welcome to the new ones....glad you plucked up the courage to go ahead and post here at the last count including other threads going back .. from Oz Can US and over 50/60 many of them were young too and only been over less than 10yrs...wish there was a spot to list them ..the polls dont seem to do the job

ED good luck for your interview tomorrow..had not forgotten

excpecting lady to arrive any minute to buy my rolling kart/kitchen island she was on her way 15 mins ago....all the rest thats not spoken for is dishes and small items so no great worry....it's rollin' on

Last edited by Relocateme; Feb 23rd 2010 at 7:04 pm. Reason: spell
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BW, living in Somerset, you devil, what a wonderful place it is.

Relocateme, Im so happy things are moving along for you, it wont be long, it gives all of us hope.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forum Fish-n-Chips and thank you for your kind words. Thanks everyone for the wishes for tomorrow, hope this is the start of better times, not just for me but for everyone who is struggling with the decisions of whither to move back to UK, or even what to sell and what to take.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you and Well Done Easterndawn, you are an inspiration to us all.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Hi Jasper123.. Rodney, yes, it is very interesting to wonder if all the decisions we made in the past had been otherwise...where we would be now. Did you ever find out what happened to Marg? How her life turned out, where she is now?
Hi Boodles, No I didn't ever see her or here anything about Marg after I left to this very day, Dont know what happened in her life whether or not she met another Man and married and had Kids, I Dont know, but I have always in my heart wished her well, and just put it down to well it was just not meant to be,
She did give me a reason way back then though for calling off the wedding, you see Marg was raised by parents where religion was very strict in there household, they were all born again cristians, although I believe in God I have never been a very religious person, so that night before the wedding when we had our dreaded talk she said that she felt that instead of us growing together in the lord she feels that I was pulling her back because I did not believe as strongly as she, so thats it in a nut shell really,
Thanks for your comment, take care,
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney you sound like a true Brit, not needing much in the way of Religion, but still a believer in God, Thats many of the English people to a tee, or is it Tea, hahahahaaa....
A nice story.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome to the Forum Fish-n-Chips and thank you for your kind words. Thanks everyone for the wishes for tomorrow, hope this is the start of better times, not just for me but for everyone who is struggling with the decisions of whither to move back to UK, or even what to sell and what to take.
Hi Ed, Heres wishing you good luck again for tomorrow, I hope you got over the food poisoning,
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rodney you sound like a true Brit, not needing much in the way of Religion, but still a believer in God, Thats many of the English people to a tee, or is it Tea, hahahahaaa....
A nice story.
Thanks Fish n Chips, yes your right there, thats where most Brits are about religion, and you called me a true Brit, thanks I feel even more like one now that I am going home shortly, and welcome to this thread,
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme

Welcome to the new ones....glad you plucked up the courage to go ahead and post here at the last count including other threads going back .. from Oz Can US and over 50/60 many of them were young too and only been over less than 10yrs...wish there was a spot to list them ..the polls dont seem to do the job

excpecting lady to arrive any minute to buy my rolling kart/kitchen island she was on her way 15 mins ago....all the rest thats not spoken for is dishes and small items so no great worry....it's rollin' on
Hi Relocateme, looks like everything is rolling along nice & smooth with you selling everything, I will start to sell all my furniture and things about two months before I go back I think that should be enough time to get rid of everything, good luck,
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme

Hi again Relocateme
Yes I remember the calor gas in the caravans, and also remember when we were kids and the whole family would go camping and pitch the old tents and we cooked with something else, what was it? it was filled with paraffin and you used to have to pump it up with this thing on the side, Oh I think it was the old bunsen burner, was that the name?
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hello Rodney yes fate works in strange ways any road we take changes life. It's great to hear you are finally moving back you must be so excited. My mum is also still living she'll be 90 this June and as I'm the baby of five I imagine that'll we will all be with her this June to celebrate her birthday.....cheers...Taffy
Hello Taffy Duck,
My Mum is 91 in June 22nd and yours is 90 in June Huh, bless her heart, I wont be home in time for her Birthday but we are sure going to have a great Christmas together with the whole family, Sister & Nephews,
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney... I wish you all the happiness when you return home... your Mum will be over the moon, just knowing you are going home will keep her going. I remember the heartache of leaving my Mum on the doorstep when I left to come back to the US when she was 90 just 3 years later she was gone, alot of it was to do with her being on her own and not having anyone to take care of her. You will sleep easy at night many of us waited too long to make the move. Can't wait to see your postings once you get home.
Thanks trottytrue for that, yes Mum is really over the moon with me coming home and so am I, She has been living alone now for such a long time since my Dad past away over 20 years ago, but she's a strong old bird, and I think and hope she will live way into her 100th year, I have always thought that she would outlive me, I hope so,
Rodney.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Everyone.

I've been lurking here for a while, I found this thread back in mid December, since then I have read every posting, every page, I'm hooked, I have to say I have such a lot of respect for every single one of you, those moving and those with advice, its amazing how so many of you older folks have the guts to go back home, and it does take guts, never have I felt so normal, Wow this is wonderful, I cant believe other people think like me. I want to return to the old country too, but more on that in a later post.

Id love to name all of you but I'm sure Id miss someone and don't want to offend, I will thank trottytrue for the first post on this wonderful thread and what a thread it is, will it ever end?.

I have to say EDs postings have blown me away, from the preperation in Canada, to the flight back, renting a room, banks, jobs, phone calls, bus rides and shopping, all your ups and downs, Lady you've got passion, I know you will be happy, I think it took so many guts to leave your husband and pets behind, I'm not sure I could have done that, I was hoping you'd have that call centre job by now, I certainly have lots of hope for your interview on Wednesday, Good Luck on the Job and Good Luck on the sale of your home.

Id like to also remember Annie188, she hasn't posted in a while, she lost her son aged 24 to leukemia, I have to say her story brought tears to my eyes, I wish you well Annie.

I'm sure that most people that emigrate never can forsee difficult times where the family will be tore apart for one reason or another, if we only knew what would happen, In reality I suppose its inevitable that it will happen to some of us.

Right now Id like to address the Citizenship Issue, I know some have had difficulty with that, and believe me it was difficult for me too, I wasn't thrilled about renouncing my British citizenship, I felt like a traitor, I just figured it was some thing I had to do, I'm sure many of you know what I mean.

OK the issue is this, my experience may be rare and I'm not trying to scare anyone, My wife and I took our citizenship test on the same day about 14 years ago, she was told to swear in weeks later, I had to wait 18 months, My problem was finger prints, there was something different about my fingerprints that caused a problem.

I had my original fingerprints taken when I went for my Interview at the INS office, months later I hadn't been called to get sworn in and couldn't get an answer over the phone why, people were not very helpfuI, later I received blank fingerprint cards and was told to go to the police dept and get them done again, I sent them to Lincoln Nebraska as instructed and waited, months later still no contact for a swearing in, I called the INS only to find out they had been destroyed, this happened numerous times about once every four months.

Finally I was told to go back to the INS office where they took numerous amounts of prints, individual finger prints were checked and sets were pieced together by a finger print expert, I'm not saying this is normal by any means, it was just a big hassle and very frustrating at the time, I made many phone calls trying to find out what had happened to my fingerprints and why they were being destroyed, I was kept in the dark all along, all they would say is my fingerprints had been destroyed and would have to be redone.

My point is, DONT WAIT, you might get held up like I was, you can never foresee what problems might come your way.

Follow your gut feeling.

Enjoy Every Day.
Hi fish & chips,
Wow what a story on your fingerprints when you applied for your citizenship years ago, I can only imagine what you went through, and what I would have gone through if it happened to me, yes I also say to everyone dont put it off just do it now, so many people on this thread told me to just go for it, and so I did, and I am so glad that I did take there advice cause my whole thing from start to finnish went so smooth, and from start to finnish from sending in my application to oath ceremony it only took 9 weeks for me to get my U.S. citizenship, and I became a yank just on the 5th of this month just weeks ago,
Rodney.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Fish-n-Chips, I'm new here too..isn't this a great thread...Good Luck today ED fingers crossed for you...Rodney my mum.s b/day is june 16th..thanks for the kind wishes....

cheers...Taffy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.