Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
dgjamison... I dont think really understands what this thread is all about. This thread has not been hijacked we are doing precisely what we set out to do, examine all the issues of moving back home. Easterndawn has shown us how much staminer and hard work it has taken her to get to where she is right now, she and others have given us an idea of the cost of food and what we could expect to pay for a rented flat. Many have shown their frustration at not being able to sell their homes which is needed if we are to make that final step. Jasper and myself have had to make the decision as to whether or not we really wanted to become US Citizens before moving home and the pro's and con's of doing it, others have given information on moving companies and banks and lots more. I think we have accomplished alot and I hope in the future when more of us do make the move home we can help others who are going to be going through what we will have gone through and we will be able to give them hope and encouragement.
Hi Trottytrue, and hello, I'm not sure if you had meant this for me, as I was replying to someone else who said the thread was being highjacked. I understand exactly what this thread is, I have been following it with biting nails hopeing all goes well with ED. I too am looking at going back home, just wish we had access to a great forum like this , we probably would have stayed home, anyway a great thread and I wish everyone on it a result to their wishes and hope all works out for each and every one of you
with house sales, relocating, jobs ect: I will be following all your progress here
God Bless Denise
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to our newest members Denise and Taffy!!!!!!!!!!

Lots to learn from the wonderful people on this thread
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Welcome to our newest members Denise and Taffy!!!!!!!!!!

Lots to learn from the wonderful people on this thread
Thanks and happy to be here
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi everyone, thought I would tell you a little of our experiences, as we have actually done things the opposite to the rest of youWe first came to Canada in 1976, with our two children ages 2yrs and 10 weeks. My husband had a job with Holiday Inn, and they put us up until we could get accommodation of our own, which was fantastic, really helped us out, but like everything, they got their pound of flesh from him, in the form of working 6 1/2 days 15-16 hours a day, as you can imagine, it was very lonely. Eventualy after a ot of ups and down and years I setted, when my kids went to school and I was able to work and meet friends, then I got to love it here, and my youngest was born here. When my dad died, we decided to go back,to be with my mum, with the intention of coming back, but before we knew it the years had passed, the kids grew, spouses, grandkids all came, then my mum passed and we started talking about Canada again. This was going to for us, our time, a new startWe were so excited but sad to leave the kids, we thought we will go home once a year the kids can come out to us in the summer, does'nt happen that way, you don't think of the expense, anyway, I slowly started to realise things were not right with me,I was finding the people a lot less friendly and helpfull, but did'nt say anything to my husband as he seemed happy enough with things. And here learneth a lesson!!! he was miserabe but keeping up a front for my benifit we wer both putting up a front for the other. I had gone onto expat to try and talk to someone, as I thought it was maybe us, Boy was that a mistake the forum I chose had to be the unfriendliest, condescending, nastiest forum I have ever come across, one that seemed to want to strip all self esteeme from people and make them feel ignorant and useless whiners. By chance someone mentioned this forum and even then I thought, it was going to be the other way and be a bunch of moaners, was'nt I wrong I am so glad I did have a look, wish it had been round before I came over, I probably would Have stayed at home. We are now putting our stuff into storage and going on a very budget minded holiday to the east coast of the USA, as we know when we return to Ireland we will never be back this side of the pond, so would like to see the areas we have always wanted to see i.e. Boston, martha's vineyard, Fredricksburg VA, ect: places like that. Hope I have given you a little info on our experience, as I said we have done things differently than yourselves, but wish each and every one of you your hearts desire, God bless
Denise
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi everyone, thought I would tell you a little of our experiences, as we have actually done things the opposite to the rest of youWe first came to Canada in 1976, with our two children ages 2yrs and 10 weeks. My husband had a job with Holiday Inn, and they put us up until we could get accommodation of our own, which was fantastic, really helped us out, but like everything, they got their pound of flesh from him, in the form of working 6 1/2 days 15-16 hours a day, as you can imagine, it was very lonely. Eventualy after a ot of ups and down and years I setted, when my kids went to school and I was able to work and meet friends, then I got to love it here, and my youngest was born here. When my dad died, we decided to go back,to be with my mum, with the intention of coming back, but before we knew it the years had passed, the kids grew, spouses, grandkids all came, then my mum passed and we started talking about Canada again. This was going to for us, our time, a new startWe were so excited but sad to leave the kids, we thought we will go home once a year the kids can come out to us in the summer, does'nt happen that way, you don't think of the expense, anyway, I slowly started to realise things were not right with me,I was finding the people a lot less friendly and helpfull, but did'nt say anything to my husband as he seemed happy enough with things. And here learneth a lesson!!! he was miserabe but keeping up a front for my benifit we wer both putting up a front for the other. I had gone onto expat to try and talk to someone, as I thought it was maybe us, Boy was that a mistake the forum I chose had to be the unfriendliest, condescending, nastiest forum I have ever come across, one that seemed to want to strip all self esteeme from people and make them feel ignorant and useless whiners. By chance someone mentioned this forum and even then I thought, it was going to be the other way and be a bunch of moaners, was'nt I wrong I am so glad I did have a look, wish it had been round before I came over, I probably would Have stayed at home. We are now putting our stuff into storage and going on a very budget minded holiday to the east coast of the USA, as we know when we return to Ireland we will never be back this side of the pond, so would like to see the areas we have always wanted to see i.e. Boston, martha's vineyard, Fredricksburg VA, ect: places like that. Hope I have given you a little info on our experience, as I said we have done things differently than yourselves, but wish each and every one of you your hearts desire, God bless
Denise
Welcome to the forum, we are all a good sort here. I think that I was on the other forum also, made me feel like an idiot for wanting to go back home. Found this forum just in time. Everyone here is friendly and helpful so don't feel bashfull about asking questions.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hello everyone just signed up will have to get the hang of this forum thing. First I would like to say what a wonderful thread this is, I have spent the last two weeks reading all the posts just amazing and to quote one member it's just like reading a novel. I think this thread is a winner with no end in site (101 pages and counting)..I have just started the long process of preparation and if all goes well by the end of 2011 my wife and I will be settled in beautiful Wales enjoying all that salt air and oxygen. I shall be posting a lot of questions in the future and also adding info that will help other people who are thinking or preparing to go back home......cheers..TD
Welcome to the Forum, hope your dreams come true. I have never been to Wales, but it looks like a beautiful part of the UK and someday will visit.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome to the forum, we are all a good sort here. I think that I was on the other forum also, made me feel like an idiot for wanting to go back home. Found this forum just in time. Everyone here is friendly and helpful so don't feel bashfull about asking questions.
Thank you Easterndawn, am keeping fingers crossed for you in your quest for a job, hoping something will turn up for you soon. They keep saying the housing market is really moving now, so maybe it won't be long until you sell yours and your husband can join you, good luck, and keep us informed how things are going for you, are you still happy you returned home?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Birthday AES!!!

ED hope you feel better for your interview this week- keep my fingers toes and eyes crossed for ya!!!! LOL

We are still in limbo re coming back....don't know what to do for the best!!!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome to the Forum, hope your dreams come true. I have never been to Wales, but it looks like a beautiful part of the UK and someday will visit.
OH ED, you really HAVE to visit Wales, land of my fathers and all that, it truly is lovely.........sigh...............
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Denise
Welcome Denise and thanks to everyone for all the greetings..looking forward to being part of this great family...cheers..TD
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Denise and thanks to everyone for all the greetings..looking forward to being part of this great family...cheers..TD
Welcome Taffy Duck and Denise, this thread is growing and it truly does Rock big time, everyone on hear are real people, and we help each other, and we are concerned about each other all the time, and we need new members like you two to keep it alive, so Welcome to you both from all of us,
Rodney.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Welcome Taffy Duck and Denise, this thread is growing and it truly does Rock big time, everyone on hear are real people, and we help each other, and we are concerned about each other all the time, and we need new members like you two to keep it alive, so Welcome to you both from all of us,
Rodney.
And Taffy Duck, where are you going to live when you finally go back to Wales?
My Dad passed away 20 years ago but he was born in Pembrook Dock, and as kids me and my Sister and Mum & Dad would go to Wales every two years for a weeks holiday, and we always spent lots of time in Pembrook Dock visiting my Dads relatives,
Yes Wales is a very beautiful country indeed, do you originally come from Wales?
Rodney.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Taffy and the same to you, looking forward to many more "talks" with everyone here
Cheers Denise
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasper123
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney, I read your threads, and was delighted when you got your citizenship, hope you have great quality time with your mum, I'm sure she is delighted you are going home?? When will you be heading back?
Denise
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

dgjameson...Sorry about that I did misread your post you where quoting what someone else had said. Just wanted to let them know what we are trying to accomplish on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.