Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Aces1 Happy Belated Birthday Wishes hope you had a lovely day.

Taffy Duck.. Welcome.. hope you enjoy this thread as much as the rest of us and find it helpful. Whereabouts in Wales do you want to settle. I am from Chester we always went to Rhyl for our hols and my Grandparents where from Blaenau Ffestiniog always seemed to rain when we visited.

dgjamison...I must be thick because I am not sure where you are at the moment. Are you in the Uk wanting to go back to Canada or in the Uk wanting to go to Canada. I really think I must stop reading this forum late at night.

I have unpacked another 2 boxes from the attic and the contents are going to Goodwill. By the time we sell up I will have very few boxes going with me. I will be taking my books and embroidery items. They can get very expensive back home.

I have made a list of things I must do in the Spring. I have two book binders that I keep on the table when we have people coming to look at the house. One I have all the information on the Appliances and anything else that is staying with the house. In the other one I keep up to date receipts from anyone that comes and works on the house. The oil man that cleans the boiler, the chimmey sweep, sewage pump records. People like to see that you have kept up with maintinence and every little detail might help sell. I also get a business card from the person doing the work and put that in the binder.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Taffy Duck.. Welcome.. hope you enjoy this thread as much as the rest of us and find it helpful. Whereabouts in Wales do you want to settle. I am from Chester we always went to Rhyl for our hols and my Grandparents where from Blaenau Ffestiniog always seemed to rain when we visited.

dgjamison...I must be thick because I am not sure where you are at the moment. Are you in the Uk wanting to go back to Canada or in the Uk wanting to go to Canada. I really think I must stop reading this forum late at night.

I have unpacked another 2 boxes from the attic and the contents are going to Goodwill. By the time we sell up I will have very few boxes going with me. I will be taking my books and embroidery items. They can get very expensive back home.

I have made a list of things I must do in the Spring. I have two book binders that I keep on the table when we have people coming to look at the house. One I have all the information on the Appliances and anything else that is staying with the house. In the other one I keep up to date receipts from anyone that comes and works on the house. The oil man that cleans the boiler, the chimmey sweep, sewage pump records. People like to see that you have kept up with maintinence and every little detail might help sell. I also get a business card from the person doing the work and put that in the binder.
What a good idea regarding the binders, we have a similiar type of informational package, we have included in hours all relevant daily living information, for example, ferry times, shopping times (as they change from season to season on the island), fantastic beaches, Vet offices, Dr. offices etc. Many people looking to purchase as from off island or they used to be, so this type of information is invaluable if moving from another country as island life is quite different.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:15 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!!!! I have been away from the forum for more than a month I know as we have begun the task of fixing up our first home we are buying here.
AES...a belated but very happy birthday wish!! Relocate me...congratulations on the house sale. Well done!! ED, sorry about the food poisoning. uuugh, awful stuff.
I have spent the good part of the morning cathing this thread up...it's lovely, and as many of you have said...no, dont stop posting. This thread has helped so many already in such a difficult time and will continue to help more. I was helped so much on my return by this site, and yet this particular thread would have made a really big difference and helped me sooo much more. You will all have your moments, I promise. I am tie with you ED, as I was away 45 years. It is soo hard at first, and you will have moments of pure elation at being home, and moments of torment as you feel everything you have known-all the familiarity- is gone. You will second guess yourselves over and over. It takes a lot of time and courage. But it smoothes out and becomes familiar, you one day begin to feel at peace with your decision, and you know that with all it's problems, it is a great and beautiful land and no one can appreciate it like we do unless they have been away for so long as well.
For that, we should all stay in touch as we have a special bond.
i still have days of tears...some in regret that I didnt grow up here, and some for the fact that I still have some family in the states and I miss them. Knowing you are all going through this same thing means a lot to me, as you dont feel so alone.
Welcome home to all of you. If you have any questions I can answer, just let me know. Bless you all.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by callé
OMG!!!! I have been away from the forum for more than a month I know as we have begun the task of fixing up our first home we are buying here.
AES...a belated but very happy birthday wish!! Relocate me...congratulations on the house sale. Well done!! ED, sorry about the food poisoning. uuugh, awful stuff.
I have spent the good part of the morning cathing this thread up...it's lovely, and as many of you have said...no, dont stop posting. This thread has helped so many already in such a difficult time and will continue to help more. I was helped so much on my return by this site, and yet this particular thread would have made a really big difference and helped me sooo much more. You will all have your moments, I promise. I am tie with you ED, as I was away 45 years. It is soo hard at first, and you will have moments of pure elation at being home, and moments of torment as you feel everything you have known-all the familiarity- is gone. You will second guess yourselves over and over. It takes a lot of time and courage. But it smoothes out and becomes familiar, you one day begin to feel at peace with your decision, and you know that with all it's problems, it is a great and beautiful land and no one can appreciate it like we do unless they have been away for so long as well.
For that, we should all stay in touch as we have a special bond.
i still have days of tears...some in regret that I didnt grow up here, and some for the fact that I still have some family in the states and I miss them. Knowing you are all going through this same thing means a lot to me, as you dont feel so alone.
Welcome home to all of you. If you have any questions I can answer, just let me know. Bless you all.

Welcome back Calle, you have been missed!!!
Thanks again to everyone for birthday wishes!! It came, it went, now onward it goes!!! Busy week ahead, have to revist where I used to live in SC to tidy up lose ends, get records from my optician, a reference from where I used to work, say goodbye to a couple of good friends Drag my son shopping for a laptop for me (btw he had good news - in Sept he will start a PhD at Northeastern University in Boston, Mass.!! So I guess when I visit the States again my two places will be Portland, Oregon for one son and Boston for the other!!!). Come back Thurs then fly to Florida for a few days to visit old, old friend I haven't seen in 20 years! Say goodbye to her. Hope I don't miss too many posts in the meantime!!!!

Trottytrue, I ended up sending 10 boxes home, 30 cu ft, and struggled to fill the last, really didn't need it surprisingly enough.

PLEASE send every vibe everyone can this afternoon. I have someone looking at my house between 2 and 4

BTW I am still struggling with what to do about ready cash back home on arrival. Who took pounds, who took dollars, who took nothing??
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:52 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
Welcome back Calle, you have been missed!!!
Thanks again to everyone for birthday wishes!! It came, it went, now onward it goes!!! Busy week ahead, have to revist where I used to live in SC to tidy up lose ends, get records from my optician, a reference from where I used to work, say goodbye to a couple of good friends Drag my son shopping for a laptop for me (btw he had good news - in Sept he will start a PhD at Northeastern University in Boston, Mass.!! So I guess when I visit the States again my two places will be Portland, Oregon for one son and Boston for the other!!!). Come back Thurs then fly to Florida for a few days to visit old, old friend I haven't seen in 20 years! Say goodbye to her. Hope I don't miss too many posts in the meantime!!!!

Trottytrue, I ended up sending 10 boxes home, 30 cu ft, and struggled to fill the last, really didn't need it surprisingly enough.

PLEASE send every vibe everyone can this afternoon. I have someone looking at my house between 2 and 4

BTW I am still struggling with what to do about ready cash back home on arrival. Who took pounds, who took dollars, who took nothing??
Hi!! Fingers crossed for you then. We kept our bank account open there and just used a cash point here to take out only what we needed. After the first week I opened an account here at Natwest. It was really easy. I still left my account opened there and use it for various things like when I visit, and also for an easy means to transfer birthday monies and things like that to family there. When we got jobs our pay here goes to this account of course and thats what we use, but when I go for visits I put a little in over there for any need that may arise. When we needed to draw out a large amount to put down on this house they just did a transfer of funds. You will be able to take out what you need here at any pay point. That way you could close your account there when and if you are ready.
XXX
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
And Taffy Duck, where are you going to live when you finally go back to Wales?
My Dad passed away 20 years ago but he was born in Pembrook Dock, and as kids me and my Sister and Mum & Dad would go to Wales every two years for a weeks holiday, and we always spent lots of time in Pembrook Dock visiting my Dads relatives,
Yes Wales is a very beautiful country indeed, do you originally come from Wales?
Rodney.
I'm from the seaside resort of Rhyl, emigrated to Canada Christmas 1975 to marry a Canadian girl who I met on my travels to Canada summer of 1975. We got married Jan 1976 Wow! 34 years. I go home to visit every year sometimes twice in fact I'm a member of two clubs there so there will be no cultural shock for me. My whole family still in North Wales the visits were essential I didn't want to become a stranger to them. My wife has joined me on many visits and is very familiar with Wales and in fact loves it there, she loves the beautiful walks as we are only 40 min drive to the Snowdonian mountain range. Rhyl over the years has been run down not the same place it used to be, however I do believe they are working hard and with help of the Welsh Assembly they will be able to bring back the town it used to be. I guess the forum will get to know more about me in the coming months as I think this is a wonderful thread...cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

What a small world I guess by now you've read my last post to Rodney..cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
I'm from the seaside resort of Rhyl, emigrated to Canada Christmas 1975 to marry a Canadian girl who I met on my travels to Canada summer of 1975. We got married Jan 1976 Wow! 34 years. I go home to visit every year sometimes twice in fact I'm a member of two clubs there so there will be no cultural shock for me. My whole family still in North Wales the visits were essential I didn't want to become a stranger to them. My wife has joined me on many visits and is very familiar with Wales and in fact loves it there, she loves the beautiful walks as we are only 40 min drive to the Snowdonian mountain range. Rhyl over the years has been run down not the same place it used to be, however I do believe they are working hard and with help of the Welsh Assembly they will be able to bring back the town it used to be. I guess the forum will get to know more about me in the coming months as I think this is a wonderful thread...cheers...Taffy
Yipee another North Wales family going home.
We are further along the coast closer to Conwy. We'll probably settle in Glan Conwy/Llandudno/Junction, if I can get Dh to pull his finger out
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi!! Fingers crossed for you then. We kept our bank account open there and just used a cash point here to take out only what we needed. After the first week I opened an account here at Natwest. It was really easy. I still left my account opened there and use it for various things like when I visit, and also for an easy means to transfer birthday monies and things like that to family there. When we got jobs our pay here goes to this account of course and thats what we use, but when I go for visits I put a little in over there for any need that may arise. When we needed to draw out a large amount to put down on this house they just did a transfer of funds. You will be able to take out what you need here at any pay point. That way you could close your account there when and if you are ready.
XXX

Thanks Calle, Only trouble with doing that is it costs so much each time you take money out of the cashpoint (dollars to pounds). I am trying to avoid that because I also need Euros. BTW How much did they charge you for a transfer fee when you withdrew a large amount from your bank?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:07 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yipee another North Wales family going home.
We are further along the coast closer to Conwy. We'll probably settle in Glan Conwy/Llandudno/Junction, if I can get Dh to pull his finger out
My grandfather was born in Bethesda and my dad went to school in Wales in between living in Liverpool and Penmaenmawr. Yes I come from a long line of slate quarry workers. I love North Wales and feel such an affinity when I go there. Which funnily enough I haven't since I came back here to live but will definitely do that this year - as they say (or rather as WE say) in the UK - "when the weather gets warmer."

Barb
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

XXX
Hi Calle

I do exactly the same thing regarding bank accounts. It's easier to transfer Aussie money to my daughter for the grand-kids birthdays etc.

I have to tell you I posted parcels at Christmas (did I write about it in this thread?? Can't remember??) and as much as I knew the kids would love getting the wrapped pressies it cost me over £85.00!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways.......yep that's what I do with the bank account thing.

Where are you now Calle??

Barb
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

dgjameson...Sorry about that I did misread your post you where quoting what someone else had said. Just wanted to let them know what we are trying to accomplish on here.
Absolutley no problem, I thought thats what happened. Its a great Thread you have started,and I think it will really be invaluable to people, wishing to return to UK after a lot of years. Love it, and am following everyones journeys, hoping all works out for them
Denise
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Thanks Rodney, I read your threads, and was delighted when you got your citizenship, hope you have great quality time with your mum, I'm sure she is delighted you are going home?? When will you be heading back?
Denise
dgjamison
I booked my flight for November 30th, all bought and paid for, and Im going home for good after 36 years away from home, 3 years in canada and the last 33 years in U.S.A.
And yes my Mum is so pleased that I am coming home, I will be 65 when I get home and my mum will be 91, I can hardly wait to get there, a little scared of the big move after so many years away but my heart is telling me that England is where I need and want to be right now in my stage of life,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

dgjamison
I booked my flight for November 30th, all bought and paid for, and Im going home for good after 36 years away from home, 3 years in canada and the last 33 years in U.S.A.
And yes my Mum is so pleased that I am coming home, I will be 65 when I get home and my mum will be 91, I can hardly wait to get there, a little scared of the big move after so many years away but my heart is telling me that England is where I need and want to be right now in my stage of life,
Take care,
Rodney.
Rodney,

This thread is the best. I am so excited for you. Good luck to you on your return back home. Very inspiritional. I am also chuffed to bits for your mother, who will no doubt cherish having you there. I have been in the US 23 years (come April), and want this to be my last year. Had a good run, but it's time to go home. Just need to find that job and off I go

I bet having the flight all booked, done and dusted is such a wonderful feeling. All the very best to you
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

dgjamison
Take care,
Rodney.
I really wish you well Rodney, and of course you will see a rally big change, as we all do when we move somewhere after a long time. Enjoy every minute, and I know you will be glad to have spent time with your mum, good luck in your journey and let us know how you find it all, warts and all,
Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.