Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:59 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
This thread was started on September 6th 2009 by Trottytrue for people who are in their 50's and 60's to help one another out with what will probably be their last move. We are here to support one another, exchange ideas, advise, help each other in any way we can. To talk, to joke, to laugh, to congratulate or commiserate with one another.

Since the inception of this thread there has been nary a harsh word spoken so please do not come on here trying to stir up trouble.

If you have anything worthwhile to contribute to this wonderful group of people, then please do so, if you have any advise about moving back to the UK, we are all ears. Please let us learn from your wisdom and experience.

If not please close the door gently behind you and leave us to discuss what is relevant regarding our move(s) home.

Thank You
Okay, MODERATOR IN WAITING.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

This thread was started on September 6th 2009 by Trottytrue for people who are in their 50's and 60's to help one another out with what will probably be their last move. We are here to support one another, exchange ideas, advise, help each other in any way we can. To talk, to joke, to laugh, to congratulate or commiserate with one another.

Since the inception of this thread there has been nary a harsh word spoken so please do not come on here trying to stir up trouble.

If you have anything worthwhile to contribute to this wonderful group of people, then please do so, if you have any advise about moving back to the UK, we are all ears. Please let us learn from your wisdom and experience.

If not please close the door gently behind you and leave us to discuss what is relevant regarding our move(s) home.

Thank You
Well said, Barb. My sentiments also.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Relocateme
.....and on a lighter note,. I, Relocateme, who humbly begged for good vibes for my house showing before the weekend does hereby have the following to report:

That one of the sets of viewers at the open house on Sunday last did indeed love the house and schedule a house inspection which was done Monday.

The offer went to the lawyer yesterday and I will be accepting it today!

So thank you for your wishes and vibes sent over to me...it works!!!...the Universe is with us!!!

The buyer does have to sell his own house but in his area it should go quick

Waaaaaaaah....cant believe its happened....thanks again all !!!!
YEAH!!! good for you!!! Now the exciting time begins!!!

Wish me luck still, I have only 5 weeks left to find a buyer
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

.....and on a lighter note,. I, Relocateme, who humbly begged for good vibes for my house showing before the weekend does hereby have the following to report:

That one of the sets of viewers at the open house on Sunday last did indeed love the house and schedule a house inspection which was done Monday.

So thank you for your wishes and vibes sent over to me...it works!!!...the Universe is with us!!!

Yipeeee, finally good news, good luck with the lawyers heres hoping it al goes super fast.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
YEAH!!! good for you!!! Now the exciting time begins!!!

Wish me luck still, I have only 5 weeks left to find a buyer
Does the price end in a #8 that seems to be the trick right?
Sending selling fast vibes your way ~~~~~~
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:35 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You
Yep, fully agree. Get outta here with your in fighting. This is a place for those with a more mellow approach to life and a need to be able to bring things to the table without fear of being attacked.

I'm off for my cocoa and a crossword
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I started this thread for those interested in hearing from others on how they are coping with moving back or not to the UK. Those who wish to argue about Tax issues could perhaps set up their own thread for that. There are so many more important issues we are dealing with.

Relocateme...Congratulations I am so happy for you thats the best news Lets keep the thoughts going for the buyers to sell their house.

The house across from us that went up for sale has had nothing happen the estate agent told my friend that the market is totally dead at the moment. It is to be expected as we are in the middle of winter and are deep in snow.
Lets hope Spring brings better news.

I think perhaps some of you feel the same way as me. I woke up this morning and did all things I am suppose to do. I liken it to being on automatic pilot there is nothing more I can do its just a waiting game.

I envy those of you in your early 50's and 60's. You have many years to make your dreams come true. Those of us in our late 60's or like me with a husband in his 70's know that time is running out. A year can make all the difference when you are older. I see that in my husband. So don't dither whether or not you should be moving at your time of life just go for it. The longer you leave it the harder it gets.

And Please lets keep this thread on message with helpful hints and not bicker we have enough of that without coming on here to get more. This is a thread to give hope and helpful insights from those on there way home and those who have already made it and sometimes to make us think twice about what we area doing..
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic!!!!!!!, good for you, so onward and upward. So when are you moving over?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Bev
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well had to take a trip to Glasgow today, and after I did the business that I had gone there to do, took some time walking around the downtown area. Glasgow has the most wonderful Georgian archecture that I have ever seen. Beautiful buildings with wonderful carvings on them, what a treat and all for a £7.00 bus fare, must do this again. Took a nap sack with me complete with sandwich, fruit and water, enjoyed this by the River Clyde, sun shinning on my face and the sound of birds, how much more can you ask for. Reminded me a lot of Montreal, Canada in some ways.

Really enjoyed the bus ride on the new double deckers, that come with tables for those commuters who want to use their laptops or reading lights for those who just want to relax and read a book, what a sensible way to get back and for to work.

Did see that although I was downtown in the middle of the week, stores and streets were very busy with people shopping and the city had the feel being on the edge of something big, of course they are hosting the Commonwealth Games in a few years.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

maureenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone advise us as to which bank to deal with as we start our plans to return 'home" to UK? It's this part that is making me a bit nervous! does it take a great deal of time, effort to transfer all our Candian funds?
Thanks, Maureen
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Fantastic!!!!!!!, good for you, so onward and upward. So when are you moving over?
Thanks again to everyone!..I am soooooo thrilled !! Yaaay!

My purchaser has to sell his own home in the City where he lives

I accepted the offer this morning with a 48hr clause

(If another offer comes up while I am waiting then he has 48hrs to buy it or walk away.)

As to when I will be going,. it could go several ways.

The buyer wants two months to sell his home (which is fair). He thinks it will go in a few weeks since there is nothing on sale in his area.

So hopefully it will be soon

(The market is really picking up now)

Plus two weeks from date of acceptance (today) to get it on the market. Now we are looking at two months from March 1st so that puts me at June 1st.

He has written in July 1st for possession date but I told the lawyer I want to put in "or sooner by mutual agreement " I dont really still want to be here in July.

Or the other scenario:..if he sells his house right away we move up the possession date.

I am feeling thankful that this sale has happened at all this year . I thought I was in for the long haul like others who have waited patiently for longer than I have.

Now I am going to make a time plan on paper for selling furniture, getting health things done, giving notice so I can get everything done.

Aes1.. I am sincerley wishing you the sale you hope for and all the very best to sell before you go.... I know its been a trial for you and a lot of stress.

I will continue to send vibes for the others....whose going next by the way?

Got my first T5 today in the mail so just the other T4's to come and then I can do taxes for 2009..

Rollin' on
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by maureenb
Can anyone advise us as to which bank to deal with as we start our plans to return 'home" to UK? It's this part that is making me a bit nervous! does it take a great deal of time, effort to transfer all our Candian funds?
Thanks, Maureen
If you check a lot of the posts I think you will find that many are using HSBC, from I have been told they seem to be easy to use and very helpfull
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Relocateme...Congratulations I am so happy for you thats the best news Lets keep the thoughts going for the buyers to sell their house.

The house across from us that went up for sale has had nothing happen the estate agent told my friend that the market is totally dead at the moment. It is to be expected as we are in the middle of winter and are deep in snow.
Lets hope Spring brings better news.

Ditto to 'Relocateme' on the house sale...I sincerely hope it will soon go through completion.

Trottytrue:

I was having a laugh on another website I use (for my locality). Someone is trying to sell her house and was asking if anyone had buried a statue of St. Joseph (patron saint of carpenters) in their garden when their house had gone on the market? Apparently, if you bury one in the garden it helps to sell the house.... and many realtors in the US give them to sellers, regardless of their religion. Indeed the woman asking about St. Joseph is Jewish, but still thought it would be worth trying to assist in her house sale, and since the thread started has buried a St. Joseph's statue in the ground (although other posters pointed out that Jesus and Joseph were Jews in any case) ...

I googled 'Selling a house + St. Joseph' and amongst the results were these:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/rea...20040831a1.asp

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/business...your_home.html

http://www.stjosephstatue.com/letters.mv

I'm not a Roman Catholic myself (lapsed C of E) and this St. Joseph's phenonomen might be a load of cr*p, but if you're the kind of person who might throw salt over your shoulder if you've spilled it, 'touch wood' etc. then perhaps you can have a giggle over it and consider giving it a try?

(If you want to read the thread where I learned about the house seller asking about the statue, go to http://www.maplewoodonline.com . Go to the messageboard, and at the top of the page click on the 'search' icon. Type St. Joseph Statue (it is in the thread title and also comes up if you search in the 'comments' section of the search facility). The last post was made 5 days ago)

Last edited by Englishmum; Feb 17th 2010 at 6:52 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maureenb
Thanks, Maureen

this is what my manager sent me from HSBC...might help you

If you have a premier account here in Canada (over 100G) you can also have Premier accounts abroad with no charge.

If you withdraw funds from your Canadian Premier account in the UK from a HSBC bank machine in the UK there are no fees.

Whatever country you withdraw from that is the currency that will receive, however the debit to you account here will be the Canadian equivalent.

It will do the exchange rate of that day.

Our travel card is our debit card.

And it is best to order Pounds as we only usually have a small supply on hand. We do offer travellers cheques in pounds, Canadian or USD.

With these services we only offer them to our clients with a fee. However as a Premier client the travellers cheques are free to purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.