Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hello Everybody, well had the interview won't know anything for about three days. Fantastic building they employ over 800 employees at that HSBC centre. Massive place, but very nice place for employees, lots of perks and bonuses.

The trip takes about 1hr 30min from home, and with all the snow we had today, took about 2.5 hrs coming home. Thought I would never get warm when I got back, long day left house at 0945 and got back at 1930. They had problems with the switchers or something in Kilmarnock, so was stuck on line for 45 minutes, train service good but not very warm I am afraid.

One of the shifts would be 1600 to 2400, not sure how I would work that one, unless I can find someplace to stay for those days until I would be able to move out that way.

Twelve weeks paid training and after the training period is over you get an increase in your wage. So, now I just wait and see, so still got everything crossed
Wow that's a bit of a commute. Did you tell them you would be moving nearer to the job? How do you feel the interview went? So "we" here on either Friday or Monday, cos you know we are in this with you too!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Wow ED it was quite the day for you..bet your exhausted..seems like you will have to move there to Blantyre if you want to get a good nights sleep

Did some searching on line and found no reference to a backpak as well as a carry on

ED you must have been one of the last ones to fly with carry-on and backpak

Carry on can only be 15lbs 14 ht x 22" long and 8 wide

laptop no more than 9lbs

briefcase no more than 9lbs

anymore than this and you have to start paying

I have always wondered what they would do without us small people

Sometimes I stand behind people who have got to be 300lbs or more
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Taffy.

Thanks for the welcome, and the pension info, the kind of info really is important.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I advertised my large furniture and tools locally at the post office and sold most that way very quickly..there is always someone starting out needing things

Things like dressers and lamps etc,.went onto a site called Kijiji and they are all over Canada..

never used Craig's List but I imagine its pretty much the same deal

As far as losing out ...Yep unfortunately with the new items..buyers know the price of new stuff..I am getting 1/4 of price paid definitley lost out on the couch,chair and ottoman $2000 new and getting $400

With 2nd hand items and clearance items I made more than I bought it for and sometimes double.

I have found out that no one wants dishes or glasses so I suppose they will be going to the thrift store

How I got round it though was when thinking of the house price, I built everything in.

Also here's a tip in the bargaining process I use:

Say I have an item going for $100 and they want it for $80,. instead of just saying "ok" ...I then offer to "be fair" and split the difference with them and see if you can get them to pay the $90.

That way you get closer to the price you want ...it works every time for me
and if they agree then its all good
Hi Relocateme,
When I get ready to sell my stuff I probably wont get much for the furniture, all in great condition but 14 years old, my 50 inch HDTV is only 18 months old and I will try to get at least half of what it cost me, but my car is what I will be loosing most money on I suppose, Its 6 years old but in like new condition and has only 39k milles on the clock, but hope to get at least $2,000 for it, I bought it new in 2004,
Anyway I just wanted to congratulate you again on your house sell progress, in a couple of days you should be very happy with the outcome, and the selling of all your stuff is just going along so fast huh
and by the way your Pigs pudding saying made me laugh, never heard that one before, Rodney.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Ed that sounds like a Great job, Our fingers are totally crossed.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What a long trip to the interview ED I hope that you can quickly move closer when you get that job
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Relocateme, I think I got lucky at the check-in counter, I know that I was overweight with the check-in luggage also, one over 7 kl, second 12kl, over, this was Icelandic Air.

Yes, I think I will have to move into the town if I get the job, the commute will be over 3hrs per day there and back. Not only the time, but the cost of the commute, just the train fare will be £135.00 per month and with the busses not running after 6:15pm it would mean that I would have to taxi it on those days when I would be coming home after they stop. Also there is a shift that ends at midnight and that would be impossible to commute to and from.

But I will do what I have to do to get and keep this job, as they are a good company to be associated with and I can see myself staying there until I retire. The rental property costs about the same as here, and if I don't have the cost of the commute it would actually be cheaper in the long run, also it is nice to live in the area that you work in, you get to know people and therefore set up a social circle for yourself. Will be waiting with bated breath as they say, to see what happens. Will let you know as soon as I know they we can all party
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

I advertised my large furniture and tools locally at the post office and sold most that way very quickly..there is always someone starting out needing things

Things like dressers and lamps etc,.went onto a site called Kijiji and they are all over Canada..

never used Craig's List but I imagine its pretty much the same deal

As far as losing out ...Yep unfortunately with the new items..buyers know the price of new stuff..I am getting 1/4 of price paid definitley lost out on the couch,chair and ottoman $2000 new and getting $400

With 2nd hand items and clearance items I made more than I bought it for and sometimes double.

I have found out that no one wants dishes or glasses so I suppose they will be going to the thrift store

How I got round it though was when thinking of the house price, I built everything in.

Also here's a tip in the bargaining process I use:

Say I have an item going for $100 and they want it for $80,. instead of just saying "ok" ...I then offer to "be fair" and split the difference with them and see if you can get them to pay the $90.

That way you get closer to the price you want ...it works every time for me
and if they agree then its all good
Thanks so much, thats great, will try what you said. I think if I dn't get the price for my suite, I may just take it with me, the rest I don't mind. Good luck in your move, it's all systems go now!!! and thanks for your reply
Denise
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Relocateme, I think I got lucky at the check-in counter, I know that I was overweight with the check-in luggage also, one over 7 kl, second 12kl, over, this was Icelandic Air.

Yes, I think I will have to move into the town if I get the job, the commute will be over 3hrs per day there and back. Not only the time, but the cost of the commute, just the train fare will be £135.00 per month and with the busses not running after 6:15pm it would mean that I would have to taxi it on those days when I would be coming home after they stop. Also there is a shift that ends at midnight and that would be impossible to commute to and from.

But I will do what I have to do to get and keep this job, as they are a good company to be associated with and I can see myself staying there until I retire. The rental property costs about the same as here, and if I don't have the cost of the commute it would actually be cheaper in the long run, also it is nice to live in the area that you work in, you get to know people and therefore set up a social circle for yourself. Will be waiting with bated breath as they say, to see what happens. Will let you know as soon as I know they we can all party
:f ingerscrossed: for you ED!!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Woh...our thread is expanding....a big welcome to Fish n' chips and Taffy( if I forgot)..

House update ....buyer with the earlier possession date of March 13th wins!!!!!

the other one gracefully pulled out..So I am out of the house by March 12th. its very quick but I can do it easy since all the large furniture is spoken for,. the medium stuff is moving along fast....only a couple of items left and the rest I am not to bothered about...give aways, to the thrift store or cost of doing business..whatever.

Taking the for sale sign down tomorrow and giving two weeks notice tomorrow as well... got to be done though

I do wish you all the best ED and hope that you get this HSBC job...will you be glad to be moving from where you are?

Thanks for wishes from everyone it makes my day to read them and this is just the beginning of the journey home!

Denise I hope your selling goes fast and you get what you want for your things. Its very hard to hold back when buyers criticise your stuff but that usually means they like it and they want to offer you less...

I found if I defended my things they keep on with pointing out why it does not suit.

"Oh it's not real wood"...you feel like saying "nothing is real wood these days..its all particle board, mdf and strandboard"

my favourites in the flyers I read are "simulated, wood-like and Pleather"

Anyway I let the buyers go at it.

As soon as you put up the pics you get email replies on the site...thats what I found the first two days is when its all going to happen
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Woh...our thread is expanding....a big welcome to Fish n' chips and Taffy( if I forgot)..

House update ....buyer with the earlier possession date of March 13th wins!!!!!

the other one gracefully pulled out..So I am out of the house by March 12th. its very quick but I can do it easy since all the large furniture is spoken for,. the medium stuff is moving along fast....only a couple of items left and the rest I am not to bothered about...give aways, to the thrift store or cost of doing business..whatever.

Taking the for sale sign down tomorrow and giving two weeks notice tomorrow as well... got to be done though

I do wish you all the best ED and hope that you get this HSBC job...will you be glad to be moving from where you are?

Thanks for wishes from everyone it makes my day to read them and this is just the beginning of the journey home!

Denise I hope your selling goes fast and you get what you want for your things. Its very hard to hold back when buyers criticise your stuff but that usually means they like it and they want to offer you less...

I found if I defended my things they keep on with pointing out why it does not suit.

"Oh it's not real wood"...you feel like saying "nothing is real wood these days..its all particle board, mdf and strandboard"

my favourites in the flyers I read are "simulated, wood-like and Pleather"

Anyway I let the buyers go at it.

As soon as you put up the pics you get email replies on the site...thats what I found the first two days is when its all going to happen
I do love my little flat and Lorna the landlady has become a very good friend and then of course there is her little dog Rudy who visits every day I am home sometimes for the whole day. As for Kilmarnock, not so much, people are very frindly but the city itself I find very depressing and very few places to visit except Dean Castle on the outskirts of the town. Would of preferred to of been going south not north but I am in a good position that I have very few items to move and no large pieces of furniture and you have to go where the work is.
A good place for household items in Winnipeg is the womens shelter, they might even come out and pick up, just a thought.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick one from me, just to let you know I saw my first golden daffodil today - yes the whole flower head!! Not exactly a host, just the one mind, but still that means spring is on the way
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Relocateme.... I am so happy for you looks like you will be home soon. If you get on the internet and take a look at the website for your airline they normally give you a list of what you can take on board with you.

Taffy Duck..... I wonder whether I will get an increase in my pension if you do not need all the extra credits. I know I was short maybe 9. I shall have to go to their website and take a look. They are normally very good at informing me of changes and increases in my pension.
It changes for both women and men, ....here is the link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...Pension/DG_474

cheers...Taffy
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just a quick one from me, just to let you know I saw my first golden daffodil today - yes the whole flower head!! Not exactly a host, just the one mind, but still that means spring is on the way
No daffs over here just white stuff and more on the way....I guess I wont be able to wear one on Saint David's Day this coming monday march 1st..

cheers..Taffy
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

For all expats leaving Canada and moving back to Britain this is a good link for tax purposes lots of info here....

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts.../lvng-eng.html

Cheers....Taffy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.