Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There are employment laws in the UK where companies can be taken to an Employment Tribunal if they have been shown to discriminate candidates for a job interview or an employee because of their age:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...rk/DG_10026429

I would imagine that HSBC has called in interviewees from a broad selection of applicants (ethnic diversity, age, disabilities etc.) to cover themselves from any accusations. If there is any possibility that EasternDawn feels that the real reason for not being offered a job is because of being 'mature', then yes of course she may take matters further. However, she will need to identify how she feels (whether by direct or indirect age discrimination) this occurred during the job selection process.

There is some interesting info here:

http://www.businessballs.com/ageism_...rimination.htm

and here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...9568262&r.s=tl

I must say that I used to work in the Civil Service and even in the early 1990s they recruited people in their 50s (and quite a number of disabled people and lesbians and gays) for admin jobs....it was pretty diverse, although I didn't have many colleagues who were black and can only remember a couple of Indians, but the local area had few black people living there (this may have changed for all I know).
The problem is proving it, unfortunately!!! They have ways of covering themselves, even these role playing exercises, says to me they want the youngish 20-35 year olds, but I can't prove anything, you just feel it. ED has'nt been home long, but I think even when she gets a job, she will see this happening in some workplaces. Unfortunate but true, Have to say Canada is much more forward thinking on that issue, I have to say i was really pleasantly surprised, I know if I want to work here my age won't stop me, in GB i knew I was finished with most companies sad eh?????
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

jobolton is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Trottytrue & Dawn

Like Dawn I can't tell you how sad I am to read your latest posting. Hope you are OK re Health Insurance etc as this is one the issues many of us have in our moving home decision. Was hoping you would be there when people talked about meeting up one day in the UK.

Also am not shocked by what has happened with Dawn & the job. Way back in 1994 I bumped into a long lost relative who was being made redundant from the RBS. He told me that most management over the age of 50 were being asked to take redundancy from the bank.
In recent years another old friend had struggled to find work even though he was a qualified 'Draughtsman' he told me qualified people half his age from Easter Europe would work for half the money he had earned. Eventually he got lucky, went for a job and a guy he worked with back in the 1970's was the interviewer , so he got employed. Sadly over a year ago was let go & is still unemployed. He is also in his late 50's, the ageism is relevant more than ever it seems these days.
On a lighter note, maybe we should all move to Malta (like AES1 is doing) & club together, open a small pub just for us over 50's !
John
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Dear Trottytrue,
I know exactly where you are, as I think I have posted before is the fact that my husband was diagnosed a few years ago with the early stages of Althzeimers, although the disease seems to be in remission stages I do see changes in him since I came here. This is one of the main reasons that I moved over by myself so that when he eventually gets here most of the stressfull situations will have been resolved. My heart goes out to you, and I am so sorry that you and your husband have to go through this. Think this as not the dream dying but that it has changed for reason that are not clear to anyone at this time. Keep us posted as we are family on this thread and we are all pulling for you and your husband
I am so sorry to hear your news, but sometimes I think things happens for a reason, (my mother used to say) I know you are disappointed at the moment, but I think when the situation has been taken out of your hands, you tend to accept it more and settle a little better. I truely hope everything works out for you both. I sometimes want to give up on Canada and go back to what is familiar and safe for me, coming back here after 26 years, things are different and I feel left behind, so we will most likely go home soon, maybe that would have been the same for you, I have no family support here and that is the worst part. If you have family here, it will a great support for you should your husband unfortunately need to go into hospital for example. Good luck to you, your story has made me think more seriously and I realise I don't want anything to happen to me or my husband here,, I want my family round me. Denise
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
We started this thread to give all those over 50 insights on why some of us wanted to go back home and the good and bad of it. You have see that some make it back and our very happy, a few have gone home and thought it was a mistake, others who have wanted to sell property have finally sold it others are still waiting.
I am going to give you another reason why those of you on the fence need to make your mind up and decide one way or the other before its too late. Age. This is relative to those over 50's and 60's and whose husband maybe quite a few years older than you.

I have come to the conclusion and the reality that I will not be going home. Sometimes its just not possible no matter how much you want it and there is nobody wanted more than me, from almost the first few years I was here.
If you are like me you kept putting it off either because others didnt want to do it at that time or you thought it would not be good for your family. Well I did all those things and now I am at the point where I know I cannot go. My husband is 74 and although he does not have some awful illness his age has finally caught up with him and I see him fading. Not able to do what he did let alone make a move to the UK. We where at the hospital last night and they think he might be having mini strokes but they are not sure. to put him through all the mental and physical issues that moving would bring would just not be fair.

I never thought I would be in this position but I am. I dont know what my next move will be but I am afraid at the moment selling my house and moving home will not be my top priorty. I have to put my husband first.

So as I have said before don't sit on the fence, make a decision one way or the other.

I will continue to post and if I find things helpful to you I will post them and I will read with interest postings by those of you who do make it back home.
So sorry to hear about your situation and wish your husband all the very best. I know how hard it's been for you as I have dealt with moving back myself for over 34 years. Home sickness is sometimes hard to contain and I give my wife all the credit for helping me manage it over the years. many times I just wanted to pack up and move back, so by going home every year to see my family it was my quick fix and my wife being Canadian and concerned encouraged me to do so. Now we both want to move back I'm already retired but my wife has to work until the middle of next year that's why our goal is the end of 2011. I don't know how many times you've been back to the UK...so maybe if your husband gets well enough to travel maybe you could return for a holiday it wont be as hectic and it'll be something to look forward to...take care.....

Taffy

Last edited by Taffy Duck; Feb 25th 2010 at 8:23 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Hi Everyone,
I recieved an e-mail from HSBC telling me that I was not being offered a positon at their HSBC centre in Hamilton. I was so surprised and shocked that I called them as per their e-mail to find out what had gone wrong in the interview. The answer to the question was that I had "failed the role playing part of the interview", I have never heard anything so stupid in my whole life and told them so. When I asked about the other parts of the interview I was informed that I had sailed through everything else.

I have called their head office in England and I am currently waiting to hear back from them in regards to this matter. I am no longer interested in working for the company but feel that failing an interview because of this "roll playing part" is demoralizing and very unecassary for the hiring of the position.

Will let you know what happens
Hi, E.D.

Sorry to hear you did not get the position..their loss!! why do employers still not recognize a "mature" person has more to offer? Do you need to put down your age on a C.V. and are they allowed to ask for your D.O.B. on application forms??
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

ED sorry to h ear that- b ut you know what- it happened for a reason, and you will get something closer to home and not have to move!!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone, I have been out of town for a few days and am back briefly (leaving for Florida first thing tomorrow till Wednesday!), and have just had to read TEN pages on here - that I have missed!!!! I can't believe you have all posted so much in the few days I have been gone. It is also amazing how much has happened!!! Forgive me if I leave anyone out, or any situation out. First, Trottytrue, I do hope your husband does well with his present health problem. So sorry to hear about that. ED, also sorry re your job interview, but it must mean something better is around the corner! Those still selling, me included, oh well, at least we are not alone. Those worrying about taxes, pensions, again, we are all in the same boat. Those with good news - Relocate Me - wow, from famine to feast!!!! And Rodney - pension thing working out - you deserve it! So there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Some of us just aren't that far down it yet, or took the wrong one!!
Elvira - yes, I have an account with currency online and Hifx, haven't used either yet. Problem being I am in need of euros initially, not pounds, and don't have a bank account in Malta, and don't know how many of either currency I need. That won't be till I decide which country to live in, and if that is dependent on finding a job - who knows how long it might take!!! I am giving up worrying, cold turkey!! Staying in the 'now', only thing I can control. Worried forever my passport renewal wouldn't arrive, it has been 4 weeks. Waiting for me on my return today. Been rejected. In my photos my lips were slightly parted enough to show two front teeth!!! Apparently NOT allowed! Now have to overnight new photos, will they accept them, will I get my passport back before March 24 when I fly to England???? Big question. I don't care anymore, worrying gets me nowhere!! Except sick! What will be will be. Now have to unpack and repack for tomorrow's trip! I am going to (try and) forget about everything for a few days in the sun. Wonder what you will all have written when I get back......
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
The problem is proving it, unfortunately!!! They have ways of covering themselves, even these role playing exercises, says to me they want the youngish 20-35 year olds, but I can't prove anything, you just feel it. ED has'nt been home long, but I think even when she gets a job, she will see this happening in some workplaces. Unfortunate but true, Have to say Canada is much more forward thinking on that issue, I have to say i was really pleasantly surprised, I know if I want to work here my age won't stop me, in GB i knew I was finished with most companies sad eh?????
Denise your right about Canada being much more forward thinking on that issue, and so is USA at my Job there are many people in there late 60,s and 70,s there is also a man and a woman over 80 where I work, all full time employees, the longest time anyone of these people have been working there is 4 years, so my point is these are not people that joined the company like 30 years ago when they were way younger, so over in USA just like Canada age is not an issue, I think it all boils down to this, both the UK and Canada and USA have Anti age discrimination laws in place, and USA & Canada companies in the past have been taken to court and sued on a wide scale, and the courts here in our countries tend to side with the person that was discriminated against and so the companies over in north America are quite scared not to hire a qualified older person, where in U.K I may be wrong but just going on what my family over there have told me over the years that companies over there seem to most always get away with it, the courts there I think are mostly siding with the companies that discriminate, so I think that unlike North America the U.K. does not enforce the age discrimination law, and as far back as I can remember when I was younger and used to work over there it has always been the same, and heres an example that I have just thought of, the last time I was in the UK was only 5 years ago for a 3 week holiday, and I know the UK has had the age anti discrimiation law for a lot longer then that, for many years, and anyhow I always read the local newspaper in Portsmouth that my Mum has delivered every day, and I always for interest sake look at the classified job listings and I have always noticed that so many of the companies when advertising say this ----- prefer applicants to be between 25 to 35, ---- now my point is that in North America ever since I have been here 36 years I have NEVER EVER seen that in a job ad, thats the difference you see, the UK has a completely different idea of what makes a good employee, ----- the older you are the more experience you have in your field so that alone makes a whole lot of sense to employers over here, and then of course they also quite rightly take into consideration that in most cases older people are more reliable in that they show up for work every day unless they are extremely sick, and they dont believe in going from one job to another, they find a job they like and they stay put,
I dont work in a store but think of all the times you have walked into any Walmart over here in North America anywhere you go, notice how many people there are in there 60,s & 70,s that work in there stores, now this is my point, Walmart is the very biggest retail giant in the whole of the world, and they hire all these hard working reliable older people, from so many ethnic groups it sometimes looks like the united nations,
But in the UK it seems to me that the majority of all large companies look at one thing and one thing only, say just for an example a firm is looking for only one person to fill the job opening, and only two people apply for the job both on the same day, now they both have equal qualifications for that position, one is 25 and the other is 55, now the company chooses the 25 year old, and there sole reasoning for there decision is that they can get there pound of flesh from the younger one, if he or she works out and stays with the company they can get maybe 30 years service from the person right up until they reach the what they look at as the over the hill age of 55,at that point the company would make the decision to put the old horse out to graze and offer a small severance package and say cheerio, and then turn around and replace the old horse with a nice young new one of the age of 25,and so the cycle starts all over again,
Rodney.
PS so sorry everyone but sometimes I do go on dont I, will have to try and keep my posts shorter in future,
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Oh I am sorry ED to hear the news about the job...

I can honestly say I was so surprised to hear you were not offered a position. HSBC will go a long way before they find another so bestowed of high courage, key managerial skills, wealth of experience and fortitude.

Had the same happen to me when I went back in 2000..just couldn't get nothing going on as we say in the family.

Didn't know why at first and then my neighbour told me it was the way I talk ...with the accent that is..I sounded too different for them and told me to change it...phew, never thought of that..I poo-pooed it at first then I needed the money so I thought I would give it a whirl and it was very hard to not come out with all the sayings and putting your own spin on stuff..

How I got round it was Office Temping...just went into the Kellys temping agency and did their typing test and tried to keep from speaking much. Even then I was asked how old I was. Now these days apparently in UK they cannot ask that,. so my friends tell me who live there.

This is crucial to me at this stage as I could end up starving to death

You see I found it difficult with my Canadian accent to change back . It was that they didn't like. Couldn't even get a job cleaning at the airport with it..

Believe me I applied for everything!

In the middle of some questioning the interviewer would stop and ask " just where are you from?"..After countless blasts of the great white north .I learned to say I was born in England but spent some time working in different countries...that seemed to go down better than "Oh I'm Canadian blah blah !"

So I buttoned it and just did the test..acted in a furtive manner (had to concentrate to focus on what and how to say the next thing and played it like a fine violin...

Hey Presto ended up with a temp postition for 6 months...once I was in the door it didn't matter then...its getting the foot in the door that counts. Everyone got used to me after that and we had the best laughs at work.

Also later that year I interviewed with someone who just got back...got that one right away, same age...Bingo!

I know what I have to do this time to make it work for me...

Well that's what happened to me to get a job as a 50plus worker the last time I went to England. Had I sussed it out sooner I would have saved a lot of money in rent and food. It took the neighbour to point out the obvious

As you know ED and as Jasper rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter one Iota
here,. even the younger ones at work accept you for who you are ..another colleague and that's all that matters really

Something will turn up you'll see

I too really dislike role-playing. Somehow it seems childlike and insincere. Spose its the North American Corporate Engine on a roll.

I had a number of temp jobs and that situation suited me as I was not staying in England.

By the time I came away from UK I had reverted completely to my English accent again although I must say with some improvements
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jobolton
Dear Trottytrue & Dawn

On a lighter note, maybe we should all move to Malta (like AES1 is doing) & club together, open a small pub just for us over 50's !
John
WOH!!!!!!...what a great idea John I love it ...put me down for this...whose going out there first?

I dont know why I didn't think of it myself ..I love Malta

Tell you what, I will meet up with AES1 in Malta then you Jo come out and Jasper you better bring your Mom...she will enjoy the sun..then ED and the others

We would have a good knees-up in that bar that night..anyone play the spoons?

A while ago wern't we talking about setting up a landing station for us to come back to?

ED ..were you supposed to be meeting with someone about it?

This would be more like an expat holiday villa with bar of course

Who remembers these?....Brandy and Babycham....Port and Lemon....Rum and Pep....Rum and Black...Rye and Dry Old Fashioned...Pint of mixed...Black and Tan....Gin and It...Oh I could go on
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
WOH!!!!!!...what a great idea John I love it ...put me down for this...whose going out there first?

I dont know why I didn't think of it myself ..I love Malta

Tell you what, I will meet up with AES1 in Malta then you Jo come out and Jasper you better bring your Mom...she will enjoy the sun..then ED and the others

We would have a good knees-up in that bar that night..anyone play the spoons?

A while ago wern't we talking about setting up a landing station for us to come back to?

ED ..were you supposed to be meeting with someone about it?

This would be more like an expat holiday villa with bar of course

Who remembers these?....Brandy and Babycham....Port and Lemon....Rum and Pep....Rum and Black...Rye and Dry Old Fashioned...Pint of mixed...Black and Tan....Gin and It...Oh I could go on
I will have one of each
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobolton
Dear Trottytrue & Dawn

Like Dawn I can't tell you how sad I am to read your latest posting. Hope you are OK re Health Insurance etc as this is one the issues many of us have in our moving home decision. Was hoping you would be there when people talked about meeting up one day in the UK.

Also am not shocked by what has happened with Dawn & the job. Way back in 1994 I bumped into a long lost relative who was being made redundant from the RBS. He told me that most management over the age of 50 were being asked to take redundancy from the bank.
In recent years another old friend had struggled to find work even though he was a qualified 'Draughtsman' he told me qualified people half his age from Easter Europe would work for half the money he had earned. Eventually he got lucky, went for a job and a guy he worked with back in the 1970's was the interviewer , so he got employed. Sadly over a year ago was let go & is still unemployed. He is also in his late 50's, the ageism is relevant more than ever it seems these days.
John
Sounds damn good to me John, just like relocateme put me down for that, yes lets all chip in and buy a Pub in Malta, the place has half of Briton living there so I know we would all feel very comfortable there, come on Ed we need you and your husband there too and dont forget to bring the dogs, (who let the dogs out?) they would love the sunshine and so would you, come on Denise, you too english mum, and aesi you cant seem to catch a break can you lately, cant believe the passport thing, we need you in malta for sure especially as you put the idea in our heads, and trottytrue well look at it this way thank goodness you did not sell your house already with you current situation with your husbands health and all, come on you both need to come to malta too, your husband will be better off there with the lovely sunshine and no stress and nice people, and I will try and talk Mum to come out too
Come on gang lets just chuck it all and make a completely new start, we are all pioneers arent we,
I know how to make a black & tan, and take the top off of a bottle of babycham,
Havent we all gone through enough, you can only kick an old horse so many times until he says woooooo thats it Im not taking anymore, Ed with her skills can be the manager of the Pub, How about a name ------- oh yeah the Rovers Return, isn't that the name of the pub in coronation street,
Come on ya all we all need to cheer up, nothing is ever hopeless, not all the time you have passion and hope in your hearts,
never loose the hope and never loose the passion, nobody lives forever, we are all getting older, but it is time for us all to jump up and dance and sing and be happy from now on,
too many problems thats what weve got, time to say like they do in New York ----------- forget about it !!!!!!
Rodney.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Oh I am sorry ED to hear the news about the job...

I can honestly say I was so surprised to hear you were not offered a position. HSBC will go a long way before they find another so bestowed of high courage, key managerial skills, wealth of experience and fortitude.

Had the same happen to me when I went back in 2000..just couldn't get nothing going on as we say in the family.

Didn't know why at first and then my neighbour told me it was the way I talk ...with the accent that is..I sounded too different for them and told me to change it...phew, never thought of that..I poo-pooed it at first then I needed the money so I thought I would give it a whirl and it was very hard to not come out with all the sayings and putting your own spin on stuff..

How I got round it was Office Temping...just went into the Kellys temping agency and did their typing test and tried to keep from speaking much. Even then I was asked how old I was. Now these days apparently in UK they cannot ask that,. so my friends tell me who live there.

This is crucial to me at this stage as I could end up starving to death

You see I found it difficult with my Canadian accent to change back . It was that they didn't like. Couldn't even get a job cleaning at the airport with it..

Believe me I applied for everything!

In the middle of some questioning the interviewer would stop and ask " just where are you from?"..After countless blasts of the great white north .I learned to say I was born in England but spent some time working in different countries...that seemed to go down better than "Oh I'm Canadian blah blah !"

So I buttoned it and just did the test..acted in a furtive manner (had to concentrate to focus on what and how to say the next thing and played it like a fine violin...

Hey Presto ended up with a temp postition for 6 months...once I was in the door it didn't matter then...its getting the foot in the door that counts. Everyone got used to me after that and we had the best laughs at work.

Also later that year I interviewed with someone who just got back...got that one right away, same age...Bingo!

I know what I have to do this time to make it work for me...

Well that's what happened to me to get a job as a 50plus worker the last time I went to England. Had I sussed it out sooner I would have saved a lot of money in rent and food. It took the neighbour to point out the obvious

As you know ED and as Jasper rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter one Iota
here,. even the younger ones at work accept you for who you are ..another colleague and that's all that matters really

Something will turn up you'll see

I too really dislike role-playing. Somehow it seems childlike and insincere. Spose its the North American Corporate Engine on a roll.

I had a number of temp jobs and that situation suited me as I was not staying in England. You are correct that they can't ask your age the way they get around it is they have a lit of ages for eg, are you between this age and this age and you click the appropriate box. My husband who is a Communication Engineer with huge amount of experience including working for CBC and working in Saudi has found that age has been a factor for him. I do think that Canada is movingover to the side of hiring more younger than older though. Well going to an open day at a holiday camp place in Ayr, so will keep pluggin away.

By the time I came away from UK I had reverted completely to my English accent again although I must say with some improvements
I did wonder about the accent if it has any bearing?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sounds damn good to me John, just like relocateme put me down for that, yes lets all chip in and buy a Pub in Malta, the place has half of Briton living there so I know we would all feel very comfortable there, come on Ed we need you and your husband there too and dont forget to bring the dogs, (who let the dogs out?) they would love the sunshine and so would you, come on Denise, you too english mum, and aesi you cant seem to catch a break can you lately, cant believe the passport thing, we need you in malta for sure especially as you put the idea in our heads, and trottytrue well look at it this way thank goodness you did not sell your house already with you current situation with your husbands health and all, come on you both need to come to malta too, your husband will be better off there with the lovely sunshine and no stress and nice people, and I will try and talk Mum to come out too
Come on gang lets just chuck it all and make a completely new start, we are all pioneers arent we,
I know how to make a black & tan, and take the top off of a bottle of babycham,
Havent we all gone through enough, you can only kick an old horse so many times until he says woooooo thats it Im not taking anymore, Ed with her skills can be the manager of the Pub, How about a name ------- oh yeah the Rovers Return, isn't that the name of the pub in coronation street,
Come on ya all we all need to cheer up, nothing is ever hopeless, not all the time you have passion and hope in your hearts,
never loose the hope and never loose the passion, nobody lives forever, we are all getting older, but it is time for us all to jump up and dance and sing and be happy from now on,
too many problems thats what weve got, time to say like they do in New York ----------- forget about it !!!!!!
Rodney.
Hey, great name for our group when we meet up "The Rovers Return"
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I did wonder about the accent if it has any bearing?
Hi Ed, yes the accent does kind of pull us down a bit over there, all us expats have that problem over there, we just sound so different, we cant try and pronounce our words like the Brits we would have to concentrate too much, and do we even really want to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.