Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 14th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb,
Yes the heating system in most UK houses are not at all what we are used to in north America, cant remember how it was in Oz in the 60,s when I was living there,
UK has the radiator system, and my Mums house has that economy thing too where the heat only comes on at certain times in the day like in morning about 7am I think for a few hours, and then at night for a few hours and goes off at about 11pm automatically, I think thats why Mum goes to bed at that time so she gets under the covers and stays warm all through the night she says,
But all the times I have gone back home for my 3 week visits every three or four years I have always gone in November cause the fares were always cheaper then,
And I remember many winters I would be absolutely freezing in my bed even with a comforter plus 4 heavy blankets on making me feel very uncomfortable and so cold still waking up often during night,
My Mum just always says you will get used to it --- but unfortunately 3 weeks was never enough time for me to adjust, so maybe when I go back as I will be there indefinitely this time that I will gradually get used to the cold at night,
Maybe I could go back to my hot water bottle that i had when I was a kid --- I wonder if my Mum kept it !!!
Last Sunday when I talked to my Mum on our usual weekly chats I brought this cold nights thing up and I said I would probably be buying an electric blanket when I get there to keep myself warm through the night, ---- she replied by saying no you wont need that, your get used to the cold nights, and I replied and said Look Mum I love you to bits but if I want to buy an electric blanket I will --- and I just need to keep it on low thats all, --- she just laughed and said Oh alright if it makes you happy,
Over here the hot air system to my mind is by far the better way to heat the house, and we have total control, we just set it at a nice comfortable temp and the place just keeps to that temp --- and if we dont want it on at all then we just turn it off or just lower the lever to 50 or so, its just so nice over here to have that control over your heat,
And the last thing I would like to comment on is the non mixer fawcets over there,
Oh why on earth are they not like ours over here when you can just turn on the tap and quickly just adjust the water temp to how you like it and the water just flows out at that temp, unlike UK where you have one stream of scolding hot water coming out from the right and another stream of icy cold water coming out from the left side of the tap, the best way I suppose is just feel up the sink with warm water when you wash and shave, and take more baths then showers,
Oh well thats the end of my little rant,
See you all and take care of yourselves,
Rodney.

Rodney

You made me laugh you sound just like me. I will never get used to the cold nights but i dont like to sleep with the central heating on in the UK. I have had an electric blanket for years and wouldn't be without it. I have been known to use it in June when we had a cold spell. They are very safe nowadays and cost hardly anything to run. I Love my husband to bits, we met 38 years ago yesterday but the other year he said " i dont think we will need the blanket " and i told him " please dont make me pick between you and my electric blanket at this time of year because the blanket will probable win" he never said it again lol.

Hoe you are taking one day at a time with your lists and not letting it get to you.

Take care Chris
Old May 14th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

huyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Changing the subjects a bit here...
The things I miss about England...
The old gas stoves that had the toaster on top, great for grilling everything. Hope I get one in my new place.
And those wonderful cakes..mmmm
American cakes and cookies are far too sweet.
Though I do like to bake my own, all English!
We have a little Irish store here, and I get pickled onions, oxo's, chocolate, PG Tips and so on.
On my first grocery trip, when I get home, will be treat!!
Though I will have to force myself not to compare prices with America.
Liz
Old May 14th 2010, 4:37 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=jasper123;8563846]
Hi June, Thanks for the good advice about craigslist, the reason that I was going to go with yard sales was that my friend talked me out of craigslist cause you left your self open to undisirables coming to your home and maybe later planing a break in, but my friend is quite paranoid about things like that though, I will get on the site and maybe list just one thing at a time and see how it goes, you know do a little trial for one item and if that goes well and sales with no problems then I can sell the rest the same way,
Rodney.
I agree that you have to be careful with websites like Craigslist. Actually, I just sold my car on Craigslist a couple of days ago. (I hate to see "her" go I loved my Saturn Vue!)

Generally speaking, it's fairly easy to figure out the bogus emails from the bonafide ones. I always Google the email address of the person inquiring before I give them any specific information. And on the other hand, the girl who bought my car said that she Googled me, as well.

All this Googling going on in the world!!!!!
Old May 14th 2010, 4:42 pm
DDL

A big huge welcome to all the new people on this thread, and to all the onlookers too, just pull up a chair and put the kettle on and let us know whats on your mind, you are going to love it here, everyone is wonderful.Rodney.
Hear, hear! Welcome one and all and I promise you that Rodney makes a lovely cup of tea.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:20 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

[QUOTE=DDL;8565235]

I agree that you have to be careful with websites like Craigslist. Actually, I just sold my car on Craigslist a couple of days ago. (I hate to see "her" go I loved my Saturn Vue!)

Generally speaking, it's fairly easy to figure out the bogus emails from the bonafide ones. I always Google the email address of the person inquiring before I give them any specific information. And on the other hand, the girl who bought my car said that she Googled me, as well.

All this Googling going on in the world!!!!!
We have also insisted that the enquirer provide a phone number and we speak by phone before I share our address. If the phone goes to answering machine with no personal message or it sounds the least fishy then I hang up. Can't be too careful.
No one gets to come into the house unless they pass visual scrutiny, most things I put out on front step when they are due to visit. So far have had no shady characters except for the email scammers.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:50 pm
DDL

"Great minds" and all that, J.J.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:37 pm
DDL

What I have learned (so far) as my husband (UKC) and I (USC) prepare to move back to the UK:

That no matter where I live - whether it is eight miles away or eight thousand miles away - I love my family immeasurably.

That starting over is expensive.

That meltdowns, second-guessing and tears are normal and to be expected.

That there are no guarantees in life and all we can do is what we think is right at the time.

That in fiction and in life, one can always revise.

That my life is mine to live as I please and not as my children/friends/family/co-workers/etc. think I should live it.

That I am strong, brave and adventurous.

That there are family and friends who are not happy about my decision; let them eat cake.

That there are family and friends who are very happy about my decision; let them eat cake, too - but with me at my going away party!

That most people don't have a clue about the immigration/repatriation process. If they did, maybe they would understand that this isn't just a whim.

That I have a love affair with England - always have, always will.

That stuff is just stuff and once you start sorting through it all, you discover just how little you need.

That Early Birds will show up no matter what your Yard Sale ad says.

That my husband truly is my best friend and this move has opened my eyes to that.

That there are some wonderful, kind-hearted people out there ready to share their knowledge and experiences with me and they are all right here on this thread!
Old May 14th 2010, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

penury is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL

That my life is mine to live as I please and not as my children/friends/family/co-workers/etc. think I should live it.

That stuff is just stuff and once you start sorting through it all, you discover just how little you need.

That there are some wonderful, kind-hearted people out there ready to share their knowledge and experiences with me and they are all right here on this thread!
absolutely - the important bits that I can relate to

Well said DDL
Old May 14th 2010, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

CEMT210 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am one of those onlookers for awhile now to this thread, it has been interesting reading all the posts and to know others feel the same way about the UK as I do .
A little about me,born in the U.S.A. to a British born father, and U.S.A. mother.My dad registered my birth with British Consulate over here when born. After my mum passed away when I was a child ,my dad took us back to England to live, I lived their for 11yrs and married a British man and had two children in the UK. My husband is 62 and I am 56.
England has all ways been home to me more then the U.S.A. and we both miss family in the UK and visit when finances let us. We have lived in the U.S.A. for 30yrs now and had another child over here and adopted two special needs children. My husband and two oldest have had American citizenship for many years now.
I know both of us would love to return home to live ,and talk about it, but our age and having to special needs boys who will never be able to be on their own are the main concerns.
Thought we were the only people from the UK crazy enough to live in South Dakota ,nice to see someone else in this state.
I do not always have enough time to post but will still enjoy reading everyones posts. We lived in Northamptonshire, but not sure that would be where we would want to return to if we could.
Old May 14th 2010, 8:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
What I have learned (so far) as my husband (UKC) and I (USC) prepare to move back to the UK:

That no matter where I live - whether it is eight miles away or eight thousand miles away - I love my family immeasurably.

That starting over is expensive.

That meltdowns, second-guessing and tears are normal and to be expected.

That there are no guarantees in life and all we can do is what we think is right at the time.

That in fiction and in life, one can always revise.

That there are family and friends who are not happy about my decision; let them eat cake.

That there are family and friends who are very happy about my decision; let them eat cake, too - but with me at my going away party!

That most people don't have a clue about the immigration/repatriation process. If they did, maybe they would understand that this isn't just a whim.

That I have a love affair with England - always have, always will.

That Early Birds will show up no matter what your Yard Sale ad says.

That my husband truly is my best friend and this move has opened my eyes to that.

VERY well said Denise I must say

And if I may I will just add one little bit of my own..........

I have learnt that sometimes because of your children/grand-children you can't live in the country you really want to however hard you tried to make it work.

Last edited by Beedubya; May 14th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Rodney

You made me laugh you sound just like me. I will never get used to the cold nights but i dont like to sleep with the central heating on in the UK. I have had an electric blanket for years and wouldn't be without it. I have been known to use it in June when we had a cold spell. They are very safe nowadays and cost hardly anything to run. I Love my husband to bits, we met 38 years ago yesterday but the other year he said " i dont think we will need the blanket " and i told him " please dont make me pick between you and my electric blanket at this time of year because the blanket will probable win" he never said it again lol.

Hoe you are taking one day at a time with your lists and not letting it get to you.

Take care Chris
Hi Chris,
YOU made ME laugh too, very funny, yes I am sure I will have to buy an electric blanket as soon as I arrive in UK, and I know they are very safe these days as you say, any sugestions on what big retail store over there would sale them, maybe Walmart, --- cant think of the name they use over there for Walmart, but I do know that they have one in Portsmouth.
Yes I am just taking everyones advice and doing all the time sensitive things first and then I will gradually start all the other things,
Not quite sure on how long before I leave to put the car up for sale, I am thinking of just selling it at Carmax, they buy your car even if you dont buy one of theres,
But of course I wouldn't get as much for it as if I sold it privately though,
What about craigslist has anyone ever sold a car on there site?
Take care chris,
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huyton
Changing the subjects a bit here...
The things I miss about England...
The old gas stoves that had the toaster on top, great for grilling everything. Hope I get one in my new place.
And those wonderful cakes..mmmm
American cakes and cookies are far too sweet.
Though I do like to bake my own, all English!
We have a little Irish store here, and I get pickled onions, oxo's, chocolate, PG Tips and so on.
On my first grocery trip, when I get home, will be treat!!
Though I will have to force myself not to compare prices with America.
Liz
Hi Liz,
My Mum has a gas stove just like that still with the gas grill on top, they are wonderful, she makes her toast on it and grills a lot of foods up top on it, and sausages too, and you can see everything thats going on cause its eye level,
Old May 14th 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

huyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I loved it too. You can keep all your modern ones.
I used to grill lamb chops, mmmmmm
Fish. Chicken.
I loved toast made on it.
Nothing like a piece of english toast, yummmy!!!
Liz
Old May 14th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Come on Rod, the UK has it all, Yep they have mixer taps if you want them, maybe you can update your mums place.

Heating, my inlaws have heating in the floor, there are 2 systems I know of, one is tubes laid in the concrete mortar floors, the cheaper way is an electic blanket under tile or wooden floors, its so nice on your feet, lets not talk about heated towel rails, Brits are early adopters of everything.

Still a hot water bottle is good, posts about Economy 7 relates to storage heaters filled with bricks heated at night on the cheap electricity, a smart idea at the time.

Later Pal.
Hi Fish, I know the UK is up on everything like you say, but hey what do I know, Im just going on my Mums house in Portsmouth and my sisters house in Plymouth, Mums house though was built in the late 50,s and my Sisters house built in the victorian days not quite sure what year, but both houses have had extensive upgrading,
So are you telling me nowadays Fish that the new houses are actually built with mixer faucets?
Anyway as I said I only go home every say 4 years and spend a few weeks so what do I know
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2010, 10:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fish, I know the UK is up on everything like you say, but hey what do I know, Im just going on my Mums house in Portsmouth and my sisters house in Plymouth, Mums house though was built in the late 50,s and my Sisters house built in the victorian days not quite sure what year, but both houses have had extensive upgrading,
So are you telling me nowadays Fish that the new houses are actually built with mixer faucets?
Anyway as I said I only go home every say 4 years and spend a few weeks so what do I know
Rodney.
Faucets? Dearie me Rodney, that's TAPS to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.