Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 13th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
Don't mind you asking at all. Any information we can share in this forum can be helpful for others, hopefully saving people both time and money.

Every situation is different. In our case, we are not bringing any furniture with us and in looking at what we wanted to bring with us, sending via US Mail was the most cost-effective.

Before packing, we sorted through our clothing, shoes, coats, handbags, etc., not once but twice so that we were truly only bringing what was the most appropriate and the most important to us.

Here's what we spent on the last shipment of 18"x20"x18" boxes. We bought our boxes from WalMart. We seal with good quality strapping tape and finish off with "shrink wrap". USPS Form 2976-A is the form used for customs.

55 pounds = $195.75
44 pounds = $162.20
41 pounds = $150.00

So far, everything we have sent has arrived in excellent condition. We sent the boxes to my husband's mum's house and she has been a dear to take the clothes out of the boxes and hang them up for us. The final two boxes that we ship will be filled with special "decorative" items.

In total, we will be spending about $1,000 on shipping our things back to the UK.

Hope this helps!

Denise
Oh Denise, what a wonderful reply. I am in the same boat on what I want to ship. Not taking any furniture, it will be clothing and small household items, so this is fantastic information. Thank you so much for sharing.

Good luck on your move home, and I will be crossing my fingers your house sells very, very soon
Old May 13th 2010, 2:12 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that, Marmalade!

I forgot to mention that we use one of those nifty digital, hand-held luggage scales to weigh our boxes so as not to exceed the maximum shipping weight limit (which I think is 66 pounds). It works really well and has been spot-on when compared to the Post Office scale.

We also line each box with an oversized bin liner, and insert a "TO" and "FROM" shipping label inside - just in case.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Cheers for that, Marmalade!

I forgot to mention that we use one of those nifty digital, hand-held luggage scales to weigh our boxes so as not to exceed the maximum shipping weight limit (which I think is 66 pounds). It works really well and has been spot-on when compared to the Post Office scale.

We also line each box with an oversized bin liner, and insert a "TO" and "FROM" shipping label inside - just in case.
You should become a professional packer Great tips, thank you so much
Old May 13th 2010, 2:43 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marmalade
You should become a professional packer
Blame it on the fact that both my husband and I are Virgos!
Old May 13th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I have just finished having a very fustrating week of trying to light my oven, could not figure out why the darn thing would not light, until I really looked at it and found out it is electric, the top is gas though, oh well, there goes that idea of sticking my head in the oven
Hahahahahahaaaaaa Thats so cute...
Old May 13th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
Call'e, A big thankyou!!! for all that you have written. I am almost 60 with 5 children 15 to 3 yrs (adopted) that would be a miracle . I have no family in the UK now but I miss it so much. Even though I have a nice big house , I too will hardly have anything to go with 10,000 pound if I am lucky. I am going to look into the pet/program thing, sounds great!! All my children were born here in the US, not to me so I am waiting for a new b/cert for the youngest, I am hoping to return 2011, but I am starting the process now and clearing out. My 15 yr old does not want to go , his brother 14 does. The eldest wants to join the milatary when he is 18 so even though thats 3 yrs away , I am still getting ready. What company did you use for your furniture etc? I am going back to York, my home in there was mortgaged with Halifax 20 yrs ago, they are really good and well established. Well I am going to do some baking , once again thanks for great info. tiamobrit1.
Its good to see you post again, I haven't seen you in a while.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well we made a decision and have put the house back up for sale. Even if we have to make a loss we cannot wait any longer. Now after taking all my stuff down from the attic I have to de-clutter again. Got one week to get it back into shape but if they are getting this place much cheaper then they can put more work into themselves. Lets hope it sells this time.
Thats it Avril, dont give up, go for it, maybe the time is right for you, I hope so. Good Luck...
Old May 13th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Blame it on the fact that both my husband and I are Virgos!
Oh my, what a challenge, both perfectionists, both super organized and detailed - hope you both think alike

That was a good price you got on your boxes, great info for everyone too. I looked into shipping that way, but in the end I opted for UpakWeship.com, whom I highly reccommend. My ten boxes cost $700 which included insurance, no costs the other end and delivered to my sister's garage. Not sure if they operate all over the US though.

Barb, thanks for feedback. You are so right, I am much,much happier now that I have left the States. I guess I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. And now I am definitely in the right place, at the right time Amazing how, if we just let go, allow the mud to settle, we eventually will find ourselves back in balance, just like nature. I think our problem is we want to control how, when and where that happens, the old Ego gets in the way, and old habits die hard!!!
BTW a side trip to Malta for everyone!!!! What a super idea!!!!

Peigi, glad you sorted out the stove!!! Life keeps us on our toes, doesn't it?!! This morning I was about to send my UK electric toothbrush back to my sister to return because it didn't charge overnight. Then I realized I wasn't pressing the 'on' button correctly!! How weird is that!!

Avril, have faith, and at the end of it all, go with your instincts!
Old May 13th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=J.J;8559415]
Originally Posted by jasper123

Hello Jasper, that's exactly our term for the situation, Camping, as we sell of things from the house we are left with a mixed pair of old chairs, our old TV and a plastic table and chairs we used on the deck.
We have held a yard sale but with over 400 happening every week here in the metro area we had only 8 visitors in 4 hours. Craigs List is the place to advertise your sale, thats where all our visitors found us.

We have been advertising items for sale large and small on Criagslist, it reaches a wider audience then a yard sale can and have a steady stream of buyers. I did research on Craigslist for the going price for items and put my price accordingly.

When folks have come to collect an item, say a garden tool, or a Teapot then I have placed similar other items nearby for them to see and have sold additional impulse items that way.

As you say, steady does it, bit by bit, just chewing at the tasks an hour in each evening and most of the day on a day off, steady progress is made without focus on the enormity of the task and it soon begins to show progress when you look up.

We are selling stuff as it comes to mind or to hand, no particular order because we can't control the order that people will ask to buy something.

With safety in mind, we place items for pick up outdoors or in the garage so we don't get strangers entering the house.
I also make sure that if visits arranged through Craigslist that I have their phone number and have spoken to them.
Be careful on Craigslist, if the email has little detail, is mispelt, the signed name doesn't match the email name, it may be someone harvesting emails for spam and never click on a link in their email. Rather not get a sale than get a computor virus.

A place to get moving boxes is on a Free Cycle website, there is a Yahoo group local to me that people with anything to give away can list it, boxes go quick though, are in demand. Old suitcases are also a good substitute for shipping boxes.

It does feel better now that stuff is clearing out of the house and we can see the shrinking amount that is left. It is also rather enjoyable being busy as a temporary trader.

Cheers, June
Old May 13th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jasper123;8563829]

Hi June,
Thanks for the good advice about craigslist, the reason that I was going to go with yard sales was that my friend talked me out of craigslist cause you left your self open to undisirables coming to your home and maybe later planing a break in, but my friend is quite paranoid about things like that though,
I will get on the site and maybe list just one thing at a time and see how it goes, you know do a little trial for one item and if that goes well and sales with no problems then I can sell the rest the same way,
Rodney.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Anna, I am very happy that you made the move alone. You are much braver than I. I still can't believe I am actually going to give up my job and be unemployed, and moving off to HK for a few months. Goodness knows what will happen after that. But as my husband said "we are only on this planet for a short time".
I can't believe he is being so adaptable. I have just been away for almost 2 months and here I am off again....
WOW Grandma, you are certainly a little globe traveler lately arent you, hope everything goes well for you in HK and of course why not give the UK a go from there and lets hope it all works out great for you too,
I too have a Son in UK he is single and owns a house, if push came to shove I am sure he would let me live with him for a short while, but I am lucky that I will be living with my 91 year old Mum, and I will be 65, so we will be a couple of old age pensioners ---- Mother & Son, --- she is even more active then me,
next week she is off to the cotswolds for a week holiday with her friends on a coach trip with the club that she belongs to, they do at least two of these coach trips each year, and the fare includes hotel with breakfast and evening meal and the cost is very reasonable,
Next year she says that I can go to, I will be looking forward to that !!!
Rodney.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I have just finished having a very fustrating week of trying to light my oven, could not figure out why the darn thing would not light, until I really looked at it and found out it is electric, the top is gas though, oh well, there goes that idea of sticking my head in the oven
Very funny indeed Peigi,
Isn't that weird though to have gas on top burners and electric oven,
Rodney.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by callé
Sorry about spelling errors on above post. I am rushing as I need to get cleaning my house on day off work!
I did remember another thing. When you arrive here register with a local GP. You are entitled straight away. Also go to a local citizens advise. They will help you sort out any benefits or housing till you get on your feet.
Hi calle,
Yes your right it is important for everyone as soon as they arrive in UK to get on a local GP list that they are entitled to right away,
My Mum told me recently that I am still on her Doctors list after all these decades away from home, so I dont have to sighn up, not the same Doc as I had when I was a kid of course, three Docs have died and replaced each other over the years, but its the same Docs office, same address just up the top of my Mums street,
And I still have my old NHS card and number if they need to see it,
Wow wont it be just absolutely wonderful when seeing a Doctor on appointment to just walk into the Docs office and you just tell the receptionist your name and she says OK the Doctor will call you, a short wait and your in like Flynn no co-pay, no papers to fill out, and me being over 60 --- no cost for prescriptions when you go to the chemist, I wont know myself, and if there are tests needed in the future like an MRI or whatever I wont have a bill coming through the mail for a hefty co-pay,
Rodney.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Avril,
Good on ya !!!! I hope your house sells quite quickly for you this time around,
How is your husbands health now? much better I hope,
we are all keeping our fingers crossed for you with the sell of house :f ingerscrossed:
Take care, Rodney.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wonderful positive post Anna. I am just catching up after no Internet for a few days and am loving your posts from Malta.

Glad you found your yellow nightgown too!

When you first used to post and you were worried about selling your house, etc. your posts were more "down" than the last few I have read. You seem sooooo excited and happy and I think it's going to help people who are a little "scared" of what they are doing.

You too Eileen, such a lovely post about the nice places you have visited in the UK. Don't forget to give us a wave from Perth.

Rodney, every day do one little thing and cross it off your list, just one small step nearer towards going home. You could easily be on the plane by July if you get a spring in your step, cross an item off your list and hop on the plane back to your mum and family with a side trip to Malta OH YES!!!!!
Hi Barb,
Oh yes you and Anna are so right in your advice to me, and I feel so much better now, you see this thread of ours is just wonderful isn't it how we all encourage each other to just carry on and not to sweat the small stuff, cause the small stuff will take care of itself, just do all the important things first and then just quickly cross off the small stuff at the end as we do them,

look how Denise and Hubby are coping and getting things done and just getting on with it, and all the other people right now on this thread who are getting ready to go back home,

And yes wouldn't a nice little side step to Malta be nice too on the way back home, and Anna can give me that little 10 cent tour around town,
I think we should all try to visit Anna on the way back to UK,

And I will for sure one day in the future visit Peigi up in Scotland, as she has been the inspiration of us all, it will be some time after I get settled in UK and I hope by then that her Hubby and Doggies will be there with her by then,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.