Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 13th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

A big huge welcome to all the new people on this thread, and to all the onlookers too, just pull up a chair and put the kettle on and let us know whats on your mind, you are going to love it here, everyone is wonderful.
Rodney.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Peigi,

So happy to see you settled in your new flat, that's wonderful and hopefully a better job will be on the horizon for you.

Yes the heating takes a while to figure out, well it did for me, it turns out the heaters I had only came on overnight at off peak times and they had some kind of brick in them that retained the heat and then slowly released it over the day, which sounds good in theory but not so good in reality as you have very little control over it, I believe its called Economy 7. Re your hot water, the immersion heater may have a timer on it that needs adjusting? These are both things I never had to deal with in Australia, and though frustrating it's just part of the steep learning curve.

I saw that lady on Youtube yesterday, only for a minute, but what a voice and a great attitude from Janey Cutler.

See IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!!!

Barb

p.s. Peigi, get some Radox Bath Salts (not the liquid) and have a good hot soak, nothing like Radox for untying those knotted muscles and aching joints.
Hi Barb,
Yes the heating system in most UK houses are not at all what we are used to in north America, cant remember how it was in Oz in the 60,s when I was living there,
UK has the radiator system, and my Mums house has that economy thing too where the heat only comes on at certain times in the day like in morning about 7am I think for a few hours, and then at night for a few hours and goes off at about 11pm automatically, I think thats why Mum goes to bed at that time so she gets under the covers and stays warm all through the night she says,
But all the times I have gone back home for my 3 week visits every three or four years I have always gone in November cause the fares were always cheaper then,
And I remember many winters I would be absolutely freezing in my bed even with a comforter plus 4 heavy blankets on making me feel very uncomfortable and so cold still waking up often during night,
My Mum just always says you will get used to it --- but unfortunately 3 weeks was never enough time for me to adjust, so maybe when I go back as I will be there indefinitely this time that I will gradually get used to the cold at night,
Maybe I could go back to my hot water bottle that i had when I was a kid --- I wonder if my Mum kept it !!!
Last Sunday when I talked to my Mum on our usual weekly chats I brought this cold nights thing up and I said I would probably be buying an electric blanket when I get there to keep myself warm through the night, ---- she replied by saying no you wont need that, your get used to the cold nights, and I replied and said Look Mum I love you to bits but if I want to buy an electric blanket I will --- and I just need to keep it on low thats all, --- she just laughed and said Oh alright if it makes you happy,
Over here the hot air system to my mind is by far the better way to heat the house, and we have total control, we just set it at a nice comfortable temp and the place just keeps to that temp --- and if we dont want it on at all then we just turn it off or just lower the lever to 50 or so, its just so nice over here to have that control over your heat,
And the last thing I would like to comment on is the non mixer fawcets over there,
Oh why on earth are they not like ours over here when you can just turn on the tap and quickly just adjust the water temp to how you like it and the water just flows out at that temp, unlike UK where you have one stream of scolding hot water coming out from the right and another stream of icy cold water coming out from the left side of the tap, the best way I suppose is just feel up the sink with warm water when you wash and shave, and take more baths then showers,
Oh well thats the end of my little rant,
See you all and take care of yourselves,
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:05 am
Just Joined

huyton is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hello to all you lovely people on this great site.
Have sat here for hours, going through all your posts.
Very informative and interesting. Having a great time!!
In SD now, formerly from Liverpool. Came here in 1989.
Hope to be going back within the next few months to Hereford to spend time with my granddaughters whom I haven't seen since 2003 when I went back for a short time as my son, their father, was killed in a horrific car crash there.
I am 61, but friends and family here think I am mad for wanting to go and live in England again.
But it is my discission not theirs.
I like Hereford so am looking forward to going.
Warmest regards to all.
Liz
Old May 14th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
WOW Grandma, you are certainly a little globe traveler lately arent you, hope everything goes well for you in HK and of course why not give the UK a go from there and lets hope it all works out great for you too,
I too have a Son in UK he is single and owns a house, if push came to shove I am sure he would let me live with him for a short while, but I am lucky that I will be living with my 91 year old Mum, and I will be 65, so we will be a couple of old age pensioners ---- Mother & Son, --- she is even more active then me,
next week she is off to the cotswolds for a week holiday with her friends on a coach trip with the club that she belongs to, they do at least two of these coach trips each year, and the fare includes hotel with breakfast and evening meal and the cost is very reasonable,
Next year she says that I can go to, I will be looking forward to that !!!
Rodney.
When I said that my Mum goes on these coach trips a couple of times a year I didn't mean that she goes to the Cotswolds each time, no the group go to a different place every time,
And Barb thanx for sending me that Cotswolds link a while back, I was quite surprised when my Mum told me on Sunday that she was going to the Cotswolds next week, I had never mentioned it to her, and it was just the place that the organizer picked this year, coincidence Huh !!!
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by huyton
Hello to all you lovely people on this great site.
Have sat here for hours, going through all your posts.
Very informative and interesting. Having a great time!!
In SD now, formerly from Liverpool. Came here in 1989.
Hope to be going back within the next few months to Hereford to spend time with my granddaughters whom I haven't seen since 2003 when I went back for a short time as my son, their father, was killed in a horrific car crash there.
I am 61, but friends and family here think I am mad for wanting to go and live in England again.
But it is my discission not theirs.
I like Hereford so am looking forward to going.
Warmest regards to all.
Liz
Welcome huyton,
And good on ya for your decision to move back home, so sorry to here though of your Sons terrible car crash, that must have been so very hard for you,
But you seem to now be following your heart back to UK like so many of us oldies,
Do you have any other relatives or friends back home apart from your Granddaughters?
Rodney.
Old May 14th 2010, 12:39 am
Just Joined

huyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Rodney,
One older brother, Liverpool, and cousins scattered around England.
I will be looking for a small cotage/bungalow, faily cheap if possible
Who am I kidding
But looking forward to the transition
I will get my American social security, sch as it is, as I am on disability. Not too many health issues, really.
Warm regards,
Liz
Old May 14th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huyton
Hello Rodney,
One older brother, Liverpool, and cousins scattered around England.
I will be looking for a small cotage/bungalow, faily cheap if possible
Who am I kidding
But looking forward to the transition
I will get my American social security, sch as it is, as I am on disability. Not too many health issues, really.
Warm regards,
Liz
Welcome Liz, Im glad youve made the decesion to go back, people here dont have much of a clue about the real UK, so many stories and perceptions just arent true, someone told me recently that the UK doesnt have hot running water hahahaaaaa, If they only knew how nice it is.
I used to live in Wyoming, so Im guessing you wont miss those warm SD winters hahhaaaaaa.
Again, Welcome and dive in with both feet.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb,
Yes the heating system in most UK houses are not at all what we are used to in north America, cant remember how it was in Oz in the 60,s when I was living there,
UK has the radiator system, and my Mums house has that economy thing too where the heat only comes on at certain times in the day like in morning about 7am I think for a few hours, and then at night for a few hours and goes off at about 11pm automatically, I think thats why Mum goes to bed at that time so she gets under the covers and stays warm all through the night she says,
But all the times I have gone back home for my 3 week visits every three or four years I have always gone in November cause the fares were always cheaper then,
And I remember many winters I would be absolutely freezing in my bed even with a comforter plus 4 heavy blankets on making me feel very uncomfortable and so cold still waking up often during night,
My Mum just always says you will get used to it --- but unfortunately 3 weeks was never enough time for me to adjust, so maybe when I go back as I will be there indefinitely this time that I will gradually get used to the cold at night,
Maybe I could go back to my hot water bottle that i had when I was a kid --- I wonder if my Mum kept it !!!
Last Sunday when I talked to my Mum on our usual weekly chats I brought this cold nights thing up and I said I would probably be buying an electric blanket when I get there to keep myself warm through the night, ---- she replied by saying no you wont need that, your get used to the cold nights, and I replied and said Look Mum I love you to bits but if I want to buy an electric blanket I will --- and I just need to keep it on low thats all, --- she just laughed and said Oh alright if it makes you happy,
Over here the hot air system to my mind is by far the better way to heat the house, and we have total control, we just set it at a nice comfortable temp and the place just keeps to that temp --- and if we dont want it on at all then we just turn it off or just lower the lever to 50 or so, its just so nice over here to have that control over your heat,
And the last thing I would like to comment on is the non mixer fawcets over there,
Oh why on earth are they not like ours over here when you can just turn on the tap and quickly just adjust the water temp to how you like it and the water just flows out at that temp, unlike UK where you have one stream of scolding hot water coming out from the right and another stream of icy cold water coming out from the left side of the tap, the best way I suppose is just feel up the sink with warm water when you wash and shave, and take more baths then showers,
Oh well thats the end of my little rant,
See you all and take care of yourselves,
Rodney.

Come on Rod, the UK has it all, Yep they have mixer taps if you want them, maybe you can update your mums place.

Heating, my inlaws have heating in the floor, there are 2 systems I know of, one is tubes laid in the concrete mortar floors, the cheaper way is an electic blanket under tile or wooden floors, its so nice on your feet, lets not talk about heated towel rails, Brits are early adopters of everything.

Still a hot water bottle is good, posts about Economy 7 relates to storage heaters filled with bricks heated at night on the cheap electricity, a smart idea at the time.

Later Pal.
Old May 14th 2010, 4:26 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Well over here in New Jersey the weather has been weird. A couple of weekends ago the temp was in the 90sF....then a few days later had dropped by more than 40 degrees in daytime and there was a widespread frost warning for the Tri-State area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut..

I'd already changed the cold weather bedding (duvets and flannellette/brushed cotton sheets) to the warm weather cotton quilts and Egyptian cotton sheets....so I had to put the heating back on. We have forced warm air, but it has a humidifier as the winter air is extremely dry, and whole house air conditioning for the Summer....bills are very expensive though!

(Oddly enough when I'm in Singapore which is just 85 miles north of the Equator and therefore a tropical climate, we only really have the aircon on in the bedrooms at night...it just seems healthier as it can't be right living in aircon 24/7 and also the electricity is extremely expensive there).

Thank Goodness I have some hot water bottles with fluffy covers (which I bought in Boots the Chemist on a trip to the UK) and have been using them for the past few nights. It's difficult to find 'hotties' here, they have some tiny ones if you are lucky to find them in the drugstores (chemists) and they rarely have covers.

If one lives in a hot climate, the blood thins - so sometimes it's an adjustment to acclimatise to a cooler climate, but it will eventually happen..
Old May 14th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Liz, Im glad youve made the decesion to go back, people here dont have much of a clue about the real UK, so many stories and perceptions just arent true, someone told me recently that the UK doesnt have hot running water hahahaaaaa, If they only knew how nice it is.
I used to live in Wyoming, so Im guessing you wont miss those warm SD winters hahhaaaaaa.
Again, Welcome and dive in with both feet.
I was thinking SD was South Dakota, now Im thinking it could be San Diego, Now I feel like an idiot as I could sound sarcastic... sorry...
Old May 14th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

All interesting posts about heating. Personally, I love the English radiators, you can sit right up to one and lean against it if you wish (maybe a cushion in between!), and dry the washing on it when it's wet outside and put your nightgown (my yellow one) on it to put on before you go to bed, and of course the heated towel rail in the bathroom for a warm towel when you get out of the shower.... Bliss!! Then there's the hot water bottles, Jasper, you mean you haven't carried yours with you through your life?? I have, and it's a teddy bear cover!!! Very snuggly! But the microwave bears (I have one!) make a good substitute. So all in all, I love UK heating!! As for acclimating to the cold weather, I was in England for three weeks and I was amazed how I didn't feel as cold as I should have considering my thin blood is now used to at least 20, 30 Celsius and higher weather for most of the year in the US. I think I didn't mind the North Sea chills as much because I knew I was no longer just a tourist there!!! Again, all about attitude. If you fight it, you will suffer, if you give in, you adapt! Of course now I have been in the Maltese 12 hour days of warm sunshine since end April, I am wondering if I could ever return to the UK climate Another attitude adjustment would be needed

All in all, Jasper, you will be just fine!!! Thick aran jumpers and dufflecoats (have they come back into fashion?), wooly scarves (I'll knit you one!!!), and you won't notice the cold - you'll be too happy being back home and going on trips with your mum! She really is amazing!!

Malta update: Fairly quiet yesterday. I discovered I could turn left from my flat and end up in a couple of minutes at a different part of the Bay than if I turned right!! That would be because Sliema, where I live, is in the middle!!! Duh!!! Yesterday was fruit/veg delivery day. From my balcony I can see when the truck arrives to deliver to the shop across the street. So off I trotted for my fresh strawberries, cauliflower (the greengrocer kindly takes the outside leaves off for you), fava (broad) beans, marrows (the little Maltese woman told me to boil quickly than sprinkle with Italian olive oil and parsley) and a curly cucumber! Did you know that cucumbers straight from the field, don't necessarily grow straight?? This one was almost bent double!!!

Now to my washing - I take it up on the roof (5th floor) to dry, that's where the washing lines are. The roofs here are all flat so at 7 am yesterday I was up there doing tai chi! No, I didn't fall off

Good idea, Rodney, an open invitation to anyone wishing to stop off in Malta on the way back to the UK!!!

Welcome Liz, sorry about your loss. You will love this thread, it got me through some tough times and I am sure you will find lots of support here.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:52 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Rod, the UK has it all, Yep they have mixer taps if you want them, maybe you can update your mums place.

Heating, my inlaws have heating in the floor, there are 2 systems I know of, one is tubes laid in the concrete mortar floors, the cheaper way is an electic blanket under tile or wooden floors, its so nice on your feet, lets not talk about heated towel rails, Brits are early adopters of everything.

Still a hot water bottle is good, posts about Economy 7 relates to storage heaters filled with bricks heated at night on the cheap electricity, a smart idea at the time.

Later Pal.
Yes, I was going to add that! Rodney, my house has mixer taps and even though we have radiators, they are hooked to a thermostat and we leave our heat on all the time through cold weather and just set it to a temp. I really love being able to open windows all through the summer. Lovely fresh air!! In Florida there was a short window of time in Autumn and spring to open windows, then the air con quickly came on. Also we dont have the dreaded mosquitos in the number that we had over there!!
Outside my bedroom we have a small balcony and each morning the same flock of several species of birds land to find their morning breakfast of bread and seeds we put out for them. I love watching them they are so gorgeous. Funny thing is my cat enjoys watching them as well, and sits at the window all morning with eyes fixed on those lovely birds.

Hi Liz. Welcome. You will find a wealth of sound advise and dear friends here.
Old May 14th 2010, 9:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking SD was South Dakota, now Im thinking it could be San Diego, Now I feel like an idiot as I could sound sarcastic... sorry...
South Dakota:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...94#post8547294
Old May 14th 2010, 12:24 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
even though we have radiators, they are hooked to a thermostat and we leave our heat on all the time through cold weather and just set it to a temp.
I was going to say that too. It won't be an adjustment for me as we live in an old house here with radiators. It is possible to set them to go on and off but I have no interest in being cold, so we just keep the thermostat set to the temperature we want and I plan to do the same in the UK.

I think the fact that lots of UK houses are cold is more by choice than necessity. People seem to see utilities as a luxury item!

When I go visit my mother, I need several layers of clothing and even the electric blanket isn't enough. They don't heat half the house because they say it's a waste, so if you want to leave the living room (with the cosy wood-burning stove) to go to the loo, you have to bundle up and just get it over with as fast as you can.

Towards the end of my last stay, I resorted to smuggling a little electric heater into my bedroom so I could warm the room up in the morning before I got up. When I left, I gave mum some money and 'fessed up to what I had done. Even thought it hadn't cost her anything, she got upset about the waste. She felt I had just frittered my money away. Good grief!
Old May 14th 2010, 12:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I was going to say that too. It won't be an adjustment for me as we live in an old house here with radiators. It is possible to set them to go on and off but I have no interest in being cold, so we just keep the thermostat set to the temperature we want and I plan to do the same in the UK.

I think the fact that lots of UK houses are cold is more by choice than necessity. People seem to see utilities as a luxury item!

When I go visit my mother, I need several layers of clothing and even the electric blanket isn't enough. They don't heat half the house because they say it's a waste, so if you want to leave the living room (with the cosy wood-burning stove) to go to the loo, you have to bundle up and just get it over with as fast as you can.

Towards the end of my last stay, I resorted to smuggling a little electric heater into my bedroom so I could warm the room up in the morning before I got up. When I left, I gave mum some money and 'fessed up to what I had done. Even thought it hadn't cost her anything, she got upset about the waste. She felt I had just frittered my money away. Good grief!
Around here, people have their radiators on in the winter, but open the windows to let in the fresh air!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.