Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I did my own passport pics for the UK passports and they accepted them just fine. http://www.epassportphoto.com/
Can't get better than free. I already have a printer and photo paper
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

OK, maybe those in the know can use (edit) this post to insert any details or additional benefits for oldies but goldies in the UK. Mostly I'm not sure what age some of these things are available.

Free bus pass (at what age?)

Free prescriptions (at what age?)

Twice the personal income tax allowance (at what age?)

Winter heating allowance (how much, what age, is it means-tested?)

No council tax (am I correct in thinking this? At what age?)

Any other benefits (age-related) I'm not thinking of? Or other social care, etc., that may be relevant to the oldies but goldies (and middlies but ... can't think of a rhyme)?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi alba1:

Yes, I am actually moving Kilmaurs, a small village of 2500 people 2 miles south east of Kilmarnock, 20 miles north west of Glasgow, I think that is what my friend said. The village has all the amenities that you would need for daily living including the village pub, three to be exact, one is highly recommended on the web. Old manse building, huge open fireplace, and lots of good pub food. There is also supermarket, hairdresser, bakery, Fish and Chip Shop, Cinese Restaurant, Tea Shop, etc.

From what I have been able find out from the internet and what my friend has told me, very friendly place to live, she herself only moved there from London 8 years ago. I was born in Ayr, so not to far to go for a visit. I have been told that some things have changed, buildings that have been torn down and new housing areas. But it is the things that I do remember that are still there, the church that my family went to for over 600 years, that I was babtised in, that my great, great grandparents, and parents were married in, the knowledge that I might meet and old school chum, or see a family member that makes my heart miss a beat. I will certainly keep writing in the forum, letting people know the good and the bad.

I have been told that Glasgow has changed dramatically for the better, I know that it is the IT capital of Europe and many of the areas that you would not want to walk down in the day light, never mind the night are now very safe. All places have their good and bad sides , you just have to know where and when to go or not to go.

Originally Posted by alba1
Hi Peggie,
did you say you were going to Kilmarnock or nearby? that is one of the areas I would be interested in so I will eagerly wait to hear how it is. I lived off the Kilmarnock Rd. just outside of Glasgow growing up. It's hard to know if areas have changed a lot and are still safe to live in.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, maybe those in the know can use (edit) this post to insert any details or additional benefits for oldies but goldies in the UK. Mostly I'm not sure what age some of these things are available.
I'm not an expert but will kick off with the free bus pass. You get that at age 60. Here is a scary story in the Daily Mail about the proposal to means-test the free bus pass, thus depriving middle-class folks of the benefit.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi alba1:

Yes, I am actually moving Kilmaurs, a small village of 2500 people 2 miles south east of Kilmarnock, 20 miles north west of Glasgow, I think that is what my friend said. The village has all the amenities that you would need for daily living including the village pub, three to be exact, one is highly recommended on the web. Old manse building, huge open fireplace, and lots of good pub food. There is also supermarket, hairdresser, bakery, Fish and Chip Shop, Cinese Restaurant, Tea Shop, etc.

From what I have been able find out from the internet and what my friend has told me, very friendly place to live, she herself only moved there from London 8 years ago. I was born in Ayr, so not to far to go for a visit. I have been told that some things have changed, buildings that have been torn down and new housing areas. But it is the things that I do remember that are still there, the church that my family went to for over 600 years, that I was babtised in, that my great, great grandparents, and parents were married in, the knowledge that I might meet and old school chum, or see a family member that makes my heart miss a beat. I will certainly keep writing in the forum, letting people know the good and the bad.

I have been told that Glasgow has changed dramatically for the better, I know that it is the IT capital of Europe and many of the areas that you would not want to walk down in the day light, never mind the night are now very safe. All places have their good and bad sides , you just have to know where and when to go or not to go.
I think Kilmaurs is northwest of Kilmarnock, which is southwest of Glasgow - maybe your first purchase should be a SatNav! A colleague has lived there (Kilmarnock) for many years and commutes (drives) to Glasgow every day. Another commutes 3 days a week from Stranraer, and likes living there. I think Kilmarnock has been affected by the economy (some redundancies, and I think particularly big drop in house prices), but nowhere is immune these days.

Glasgow still has some very rough places and people but some formerly bad areas are being regenerated, and the Commonwealth Games will hopefully bring development benefits. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Glasgow, but I think there are places in a 20-mile radius that would make good place to settle for returnees who want to live close to scenic mountains, city living, the shoreline, at a reasonable cost (except for my pior comments on housing, which I find expensive)
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has one, can't make head or tail of the thing. As long as I get where I am suppose to go everything is alright. That is the great thing about UK the transportation system, Thanks for setting me in the right direction :embarrassed_sm ile:

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think Kilmaurs is northwest of Kilmarnock, which is southwest of Glasgow - maybe your first purchase should be a SatNav! A colleague has lived there (Kilmarnock) for many years and commutes (drives) to Glasgow every day. Another commutes 3 days a week from Stranraer, and likes living there. I think Kilmarnock has been affected by the economy (some redundancies, and I think particularly big drop in house prices), but nowhere is immune these days.

Glasgow still has some very rough places and people but some formerly bad areas are being regenerated, and the Commonwealth Games will hopefully bring development benefits. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Glasgow, but I think there are places in a 20-mile radius that would make good place to settle for returnees who want to live close to scenic mountains, city living, the shoreline, at a reasonable cost (except for my pior comments on housing, which I find expensive)
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

WOW, I am away from my computer for only a couple of hours and there are at least 5 more posts!!! This thread is sweet!!!!!!!! Oops, guess I need to start changing my words to UK ones..........brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! biscuits, chips, vests, knickers, waistcoats and jumpers No more cookies, fries, undershirts, panties, vests and pinafores.....did I get that right?! Boy, this is going to be like learning a new language after 26 years, anyone else thought about that?? I don't want people thinking I am a Yankee or a Redneck Good points everyone, Peggie, great ad, thanks for posting that, will definitely be doing same. Thanks for concern again, still up here getting excited for Peggie on her countdown! Can we come and see you off at the airport?! Wouldn't that be great!! Hearing about Scotland almost makes me want to try moving there - but I know these 'middlie' bones of mine wouldn't appreciate the climate. Have to ease my way back in........all those scarves I've been knitting will come in handy.......wish I could post one to all of you going back!!! Question re passport. My UK one expires end of Feb next year. I hope to have my citizenship by then and will be getting a US passport. Seeing as I am doing a one way trip back, possibly March, I am wondering if I can leave renewing the UK one till I am back in the UK. Seeing as how it costs an arm and a leg to renew it over here in the US. What do you all think? As to senior benefits, is that true? Free bus pass at age 60?? the UK rocks!!!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

aes1: I would think it might be easier when you get to Heathrow or where ever you are landing if you have a UK passport. If you have a US one they might give you a hard time if you are on a one way ticket. Someone might no better than I. That is the reason I got my UK renewed as I did not want the hassle of explainign why I had only a one way ticket. It cost me $120.00 dollars and took only 10 days, my husbands for Canada took 6 weeks, and he Canadian

Originally Posted by aes1
WOW, I am away from my computer for only a couple of hours and there are at least 5 more posts!!! This thread is sweet!!!!!!!! Oops, guess I need to start changing my words to UK ones..........brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! biscuits, chips, vests, knickers, waistcoats and jumpers No more cookies, fries, undershirts, panties, vests and pinafores.....did I get that right?! Boy, this is going to be like learning a new language after 26 years, anyone else thought about that?? I don't want people thinking I am a Yankee or a Redneck Good points everyone, Peggie, great ad, thanks for posting that, will definitely be doing same. Thanks for concern again, still up here getting excited for Peggie on her countdown! Can we come and see you off at the airport?! Wouldn't that be great!! Hearing about Scotland almost makes me want to try moving there - but I know these 'middlie' bones of mine wouldn't appreciate the climate. Have to ease my way back in........all those scarves I've been knitting will come in handy.......wish I could post one to all of you going back!!! Question re passport. My UK one expires end of Feb next year. I hope to have my citizenship by then and will be getting a US passport. Seeing as I am doing a one way trip back, possibly March, I am wondering if I can leave renewing the UK one till I am back in the UK. Seeing as how it costs an arm and a leg to renew it over here in the US. What do you all think? As to senior benefits, is that true? Free bus pass at age 60?? the UK rocks!!!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
aes1: I would think it might be easier when you get to Heathrow or where ever you are landing if you have a UK passport. If you have a US one they might give you a hard time if you are on a one way ticket. Someone might no better than I. That is the reason I got my UK renewed as I did not want the hassle of explainign why I had only a one way ticket. It cost me $120.00 dollars and took only 10 days, my husbands for Canada took 6 weeks, and he Canadian
$214 US to renew mine. Money, money, money...........
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

think it as a good investment with a high return rate

Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Yes, definately renew your UK passport. No question it would be the best thing for you to do. Money well spent. If you get the wrong immigration officer in the UK, and they go according to the book, you might find yourself bounced back to the US
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Re: AES1 getting UK passport..

The cost of the Uk is worth every penny when you go swanning past the "Foreign Nationals" line-up at LHX.

I went over to UK on Cdn Passport and never do it again..all the UK passport holders were being greeted and waived through so nicely by staff and no one in the line...just walking through and there was me I 1/2 hours later still in line..

Second bonus is ..what about if you want to go somewhere in Europe..if you have UK your free to work and travel within the EU.

Downloaded forms tonight and filled them in

Photos tomorrow..I have no one to take the free photo for me so can't do that otherwise that would be the perfect solution
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:36 am
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm new here so bear with me. Just thought folks would like to know that you cannot (well from Canada anyway) purchase a one way ticket to UK without a UK passport. My brother returned to UK March this year on an expired UK passport but wasn't allowed to buy a one way ticket on his Canadian Passport.

Incidentally he had lived here in Canada for 40 years.

Hope this helps some of you ))
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 2aT
Hi I'm new here so bear with me. Just thought folks would like to know that you cannot (well from Canada anyway) purchase a one way ticket to UK without a UK passport. My brother returned to UK March this year on an expired UK passport but wasn't allowed to buy a one way ticket on his Canadian Passport.

Incidentally he had lived here in Canada for 40 years.

Hope this helps some of you ))
Thank you for that imformation 2aT, do you know if that also applies if a settlement visa is issued, by the UK, to someone holding a Canadian passport?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:35 am
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boodles
Thank you for that imformation 2aT, do you know if that also applies if a settlement visa is issued, by the UK, to someone holding a Canadian passport?
Sorry Boodles I don't know the answer to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.