Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 22nd 2010, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by bowery
I have read so many of your helpful words but have not found what I need. Do any of you feel heart broken at the thought of leaving your adult kids yet you know you have no option as you are so deeply unhappy with being so far from friends and family from the old country. How do we get to the place of emotional acceptance at leaving the grown up kids. Does it hurt less as time passes. We need to go - we cant live here any more as we have no support system and miss so much about Britain.We also cant afford to stay in Australia - housing costs are a nightmare we will never get out of the money mire and can live so much cheaper in Scotland, Children are very supportive of us and look forward to heaps of Scottish holidays but i am still fearful. We have felt lonely for a long time and our two kids need to be free to live their own lives . We also need to find the community we crave amoung friends from the past that we are close to. can any one relate to any of this. Thanks

Hello and welcome

Lots of us on here are in exactly the same position as you but as others have said this is a very personal decision and nobody else can prepare you for how YOU will feel. We can only tell you our experience.
My experience is from both sides of the fence. Our daughter has lived in USA for twelve years her husband is a USC. Since they adopted two amazing little boys 8 years ago I have been coming over 2 or 3 times a year. Although Florida is the last place i would have ever chosen to live for so many reasons. The main one being i dont cope well with the hot weather and we are outdoor people walking, cycling etc not that easy to do here lol. We decided to give it a go so we could be with our family. The idea was to spend 9 month here and 3 months split between UK and Ireland. We thought if we could do that for 5 years and become citizens then we could split our time between our daughter and her family here and our son and his family. We always knew it would be difficult for me but it was worth giving it a go. You know the saying nothing ventured nothing gained. I didn't want to get to end of my life with regrets that i had not given it a go.
Well to try and cut a long story a little shorter we now know we cant do that. We moved here 17 months ago and going back next month. I dont see it as a failure we have had a wonderful time with our family that we would not have missed for the world. Money and possessions have never ruled our lives. I do believe as long as you can get by and pay your bills you can have a great life on a small amount if you budget well. I am dreading the 2nd of June coming when we have to leave our family but know it is the right thing for us to do. We have to do what is bet for us because at the end of the day the grandchildren will grow and leave home, our daughter and her husband will have there life which they should do, and the last thing we would want to do is be here when we are old. Living back home we enable us to split our time between the countries we would not be able to do that if we carry on living here. I dont think we would ever be able to retire if we stayed here it is so much more expensive than being at home.
The only thing i can tell you and lots of us on here feel is to follow your heart and if it doesn't work out at least you will know. We are all here to help or just listen if you need us.

Take care Chris
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:11 am
Just Joined

bowery is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hello and welcome

Lots of us on here are in exactly the same position as you but as others have said this is a very personal decision and nobody else can prepare you for how YOU will feel. We can only tell you our experience.
My experience is from both sides of the fence. Our daughter has lived in USA for twelve years her husband is a USC. Since they adopted two amazing little boys 8 years ago I have been coming over 2 or 3 times a year. Although Florida is the last place i would have ever chosen to live for so many reasons. The main one being i dont cope well with the hot weather and we are outdoor people walking, cycling etc not that easy to do here lol. We decided to give it a go so we could be with our family. The idea was to spend 9 month here and 3 months split between UK and Ireland. We thought if we could do that for 5 years and become citizens then we could split our time between our daughter and her family here and our son and his family. We always knew it would be difficult for me but it was worth giving it a go. You know the saying nothing ventured nothing gained. I didn't want to get to end of my life with regrets that i had not given it a go.
Well to try and cut a long story a little shorter we now know we cant do that. We moved here 17 months ago and going back next month. I dont see it as a failure we have had a wonderful time with our family that we would not have missed for the world. Money and possessions have never ruled our lives. I do believe as long as you can get by and pay your bills you can have a great life on a small amount if you budget well. I am dreading the 2nd of June coming when we have to leave our family but know it is the right thing for us to do. We have to do what is bet for us because at the end of the day the grandchildren will grow and leave home, our daughter and her husband will have there life which they should do, and the last thing we would want to do is be here when we are old. Living back home we enable us to split our time between the countries we would not be able to do that if we carry on living here. I dont think we would ever be able to retire if we stayed here it is so much more expensive than being at home.
The only thing i can tell you and lots of us on here feel is to follow your heart and if it doesn't work out at least you will know. We are all here to help or just listen if you need us.

Take care Chris
Thank you all for your help. Apart from our dear daughter who is only 27 years old we dont have any real friends. We have tried like hell to achieve this but for what even reason have not been able to . We have the chance of returning for several years and working in Scotland. The job carries a house with it so we will not need to buy straight away. We dont have a lot of money but be able to live with enough and could invest the little we do have to cover the coming and going between hear and Australia. We are trying to sell a heavily mortgaged home at present in outer Sydney and are watching our hard earned asset slip away from us as we cant afford it now due to work cut backs interest rate hikes etc. We are desparte to go home and r connect with family and a country we left twenty years ago. I would love to chat to anyone on skype about all this - any takers out there?
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Bowery and welcome to this thread.

This is something nobody can tell you - you have to do it for yourself to find out if you can handle the emotions involved.

I moved back to the UK in April 2009 and came back here in April 2010 after one year back home. I REALLY REALLY thought I could stay over there and live out my days, HOWEVER the reality was I couldn't do it. I felt like I had "abandoned" my kids and grand-kids over here in Australia with no other family support system while I was over there in the UK with my close knit family of about 20 people.

If Australia was just a few hours away like the USA or Canada not 24 hours flight like it is to Australia, and the airfare was just say $700.00 as against $2000.00+ then I know my decision to come back here would have been different.

Believe me, if my kids and grand-kids weren't here there is NO WAY I would have come back to live in Australia, I never realised just how much I LOVE my own country.

BUT the decision I/we made in 1981 to emigrate to Australia with 2 young children who are now "Aussie's" and have Aussie partners and kids and quite frankly can't afford to be popping back to the UK for a holiday every year has left me no choice but to live out my days here if I want to have them in my life.

I left a good job in England with a rent free flat in Somerset (see past posts on this thread), left my ageing mother, 2 sisters, brother, assorted spouses, nieces, nephews and their kids to come back here. At the moment I am living at my daughter's place sharing a bed with my youngest grand-daughter and desperately trying to find a job. I have applied for 23 jobs so far with no interviews, am too scared to get a flat on my own in case I can't get a job soon enough and then will be eating into what little money I have left to pay rent. I am getting the "dole" but that is not enough to get your own place on, I just give my daughter money towards the housekeeping. I still have all my stuff in storage with more coming from the UK shortly and have started waking up really early every morning worrying about my future here.

But anyway like I said this is a very personal decision and nobody on here or any other forum or in fact any other person in your life can prepare you for how YOU will feel.

Maybe you will get back there and it will all work out for you and I do so hope this is the case, or maybe you will get back and find you just can't do it like I did. Australia is just toooooooo far away from the UK.

Good luck and my sincere good wishes in whatever you do.
I am so sorry to hear that. I know we were all hoping that things would get better for you once you had been back in Aus for a while, as we know what a tough decision that was for you. You really are stuck between a rock and a hard place. When I have been in that position, I have found it always best to do nothing. That means, just sit back and 'let the mud settle'. If anyone has ever read the Winnie the Pooh children's stories, they will know what I mean. There is a book called the Tao of Pooh. Pooh bear was the one character in the stories who would choose to do nothing at all when there was a problem, except to eat his honey! But he was the one that somehow came up with the solution!! The others would think it through to death (Owl), or rush through everything to make it work (Rabbit), or be too scared and end up making things worse (Piglet), or be totally negative and make a mountain out of a molehill (Eeyore)!!! Only Pooh would go with the flow, and just LET things happen, and all would work out! That has always worked so well for me (when I remember to just let go!!). For example, with my new maƱana attitude here in Malta, things have a habit of falling into place all by themselves. I have an interview for a different job on Monday! I only emailed my application yesterday afternoon, and within hours they called me! Of course, this job, like the last one, may not be what I want (night receptionist at a hotel resort & spa at the other end of the island), but hey, being asked for an interview brings a lot of self confidence! I am letting the mud settle, instead of churning it up and making nothing but dirty water!! See if that helps!!

BTW Those newbies on here, pretty soon you won't feel alone because this is one great big family!!!! I love you all, but I had never thought of Skyping anyone - great idea, but I would never get out of my flat if I did that - too many of us to chat with on here, we would be drinking cups of tea/coffee all day long!!! Maybe we could set up group Skypes???????
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I have read so many of your helpful words but have not found what I need. Do any of you feel heart broken at the thought of leaving your adult kids yet you know you have no option as you are so deeply unhappy with being so far from friends and family from the old country. How do we get to the place of emotional acceptance at leaving the grown up kids. Does it hurt less as time passes. We need to go - we cant live here any more as we have no support system and miss so much about Britain.We also cant afford to stay in Australia - housing costs are a nightmare we will never get out of the money mire and can live so much cheaper in Scotland, Children are very supportive of us and look forward to heaps of Scottish holidays but i am still fearful. We have felt lonely for a long time and our two kids need to be free to live their own lives . We also need to find the community we crave amoung friends from the past that we are close to. can any one relate to any of this. Thanks
I havent done it because my husband wont move from Australia but I am sure I could do it if I were free to do so. I hate living this half life and I know that I am the real me when I go home. For me it wouldnt matter - well, wont matter actually as I have one son with family here and one son who is likely to stay in UK having just got engaged and so I envisage grandkids on both sides of the world.

I guess that says too, you never know where your kids are going to end up - I wouldnt have predicted to have one in UK, after all, he only went for a gap year! Would you expect to cart around the world if your kids decided that they wanted to go and live in Timbuctu? I think most adult kids would have far less compunction about moving away perhaps than their parents do at making the same move.

At the moment I survive by going home at least once a year and if I had grandkids on the other side of the world I would expect to do the same and visit for holidays if they didnt come and visit me.

I think the trick for me is that we live 4 hours away from the son and his family so apart from the occasional skype (DGD has discovered she can talk to us any time and at 2.5 she is fast becoming a skypaholic) we dont see them too much. With a new baby on the way in November they are talking about coming to Canberra and are hoping to live in our granny flat - things may be a bit different then of course.

Bottom line I reckon is that you do what makes you happy, you raise kids and if you have done your best they will be happy and independent and you have the rest of your life to live and need to do it in a place where you belong and where you want to be. Good luck, I am sure it will be fine!
Old May 22nd 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome

Take care Chris
Wow Chris its a tough world, you put that so honestly and beautifully, we cant always have all that we want, I commend you for at least giving Florida a go, I many Brits seem to like Florida, personally I don't see whats to like, Ive been to the Orlanda and Tampa/Clearwater area on business a few times and it seems lifeless and full of cops.

Nothing in life is forever, circumstances always change even though its sometimes slow. I wish you and many others here well.
Old May 22nd 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to everthing you have said and am fearful that we will get overthere only to find we cant make it work. I dont really like Australia - it is rough and without the kind of culture we yearn for . It does have one beautiful person whom I adore and thats is our beloved daughter. She is happy here she has her partner and soon they will marry and hope to have children. We have the potential for meaning ful friendships in Scotland and meaninful work - She has lived with our sadness for a long time and I know it burdens her. We are viewing our return as being for about ten years and not for ever. Our daughter is excited at the thought of us going as she loves Scotland and regards our being there as a chance for her to visit often, Will she actuallybe able to afford to - thats the huge question. We will pull our money for fares but it is all very very scary and my husband and I are wishing like hell we could actually talk to foks face to face about some of the issues,
I sure wish I could help you, boy this kids things is a tough one, when you are a close knit family it seems so difficult, in your previous post you mentioned the high cost of Oz and retirement out of reach, surely you need to put your own selves first, I dont know your age but at some point working becomes very difficult depending on job skills an health, Im sure your daughter would see you in Scotland as much as possible, all I can say is go and try, maybe you can go back if you its to much for you, dont get me wrong these world wide moves are always difficult and expensive.

Lets not forget you dont even care for oz...

Good Luck to you...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; May 22nd 2010 at 9:01 am.
Old May 22nd 2010, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
I hate living this half life and I know that I am the real me when I go home.
Never were truer words said...

I feel for you quoll, feeling stuck as you do, When I go back to the UK I never even think about anything back in the Usa, Many times I have just wanted to stay over there, the UK just feels so right to me, I feel safer for some reason.

I think we all fantasize a little, expecting it to be so perfect in every way, let me tell you its not, I went back for six months and it was difficult trying to get a job, and there were times when we were bored, but I think that's life sometimes, still I had friends, real friends and that is what I miss at the moment.
I wish you well...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; May 22nd 2010 at 9:20 am. Reason: error
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

lazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Anna's Pooh bear story is so apt. There is a Pooh, Owl, Rabbit and Eeyore in all of us and it just depends how we feel on any given day.

Well my story is a little different. No children, family or friends in Florida except a USC husband with whom life has become intolerable over the 3 1/2 years I have been here. I have been isolated something unbelievable, and life has been hell. of course everything is my fault through the eyes of someone who has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I am not going to go into details except to say I want out ASAP - in full caps. This thread is about returning to the UK and it continues to empower us, to give us strength knowing there are others who feel the same urgency to return home and follow our dreams no matter what our age or circumstance. I would like to thank everyone for their honesty and input. I need to regain my independence and start to live again. Obviously I am really disappointed things didn't work out as I remember the optimism and joyfulness I came with.
All being well I'll be booking a flight any day now to fly back on/around June 10 .
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lazy
Anna's Pooh bear story is so apt. There is a Pooh, Owl, Rabbit and Eeyore in all of us and it just depends how we feel on any given day.

Well my story is a little different. No children, family or friends in Florida except a USC husband with whom life has become intolerable over the 3 1/2 years I have been here. I have been isolated something unbelievable, and life has been hell. of course everything is my fault through the eyes of someone who has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I am not going to go into details except to say I want out ASAP - in full caps. This thread is about returning to the UK and it continues to empower us, to give us strength knowing there are others who feel the same urgency to return home and follow our dreams no matter what our age or circumstance. I would like to thank everyone for their honesty and input. I need to regain my independence and start to live again. Obviously I am really disappointed things didn't work out as I remember the optimism and joyfulness I came with.
All being well I'll be booking a flight any day now to fly back on/around June 10 .
Good for you... I hope it all works out for you... take care of #1..
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow Chris its a tough world, you put that so honestly and beautifully, we cant always have all that we want, I commend you for at least giving Florida a go, I many Brits seem to like Florida, personally I don't see whats to like, Ive been to the Orlanda and Tampa/Clearwater area on business a few times and it seems lifeless and full of cops.

Nothing in life is forever, circumstances always change even though its sometimes slow. I wish you and many others here well.

Thank you for your kind words. I tried not to waffle but i think i did anyway.

I know when we decided to come here i tried not to say where we would be living because so many people have this misconception about Florida. When people knew they would go on and on about how wonderful it would be.I found myself trying to explain when you live there all the time it's not the same as being on holiday, they never quite got it. We knew exactly what we were getting into but still wanted to give it a try. I'm so glad we did because now we know the longest we would ever want to stay is 3 months in the cooler weather and we can do that on the visa waiver programme. I feel so sorry for the Americans who have worked all their lives then something happens an accident or something and they loose everything, it's so unfair. (my husband works with some amazing people that this has happened to) They pay into health insurance for years then they loose it when they need it most. I'm so hopeful for the future with president Obama in charge but i think it will take years to get it up and running. At least we have the option to go back to safety and i am very grateful for that. Our out goings at home are so much less in the UK between health insurance, utility bills ( living here you have to have aircon or heat on all year round) at home we could go months without any heating on even with the UK weather, our food bills are less etc.The only thing i find more expensive is the cost of petrol, but as we say here you have to use a car all the time at home you can be without one.
I know you can't put a price on family but we know by doing what we are doing we will have the option to come and go between all three counties and spend time with all our family. Staying here would make it impossible for us to do that. So at the end of the day we still will have it all but in a different way, with no regrets.

I do believe life is too short for regrets. If things dont work out there is always plan B or even plan C and look at all the fun you would miss out on if you dont give it a try.

Just look at Anna she is a great example

Good luck to everyone what ever you decide, i hope you find happiness and contentment.

Chris
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:35 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your kind words. I tried not to waffle but i think i did anyway.

I know when we decided to come here i tried not to say where we would be living because so many people have this misconception about Florida. When people knew they would go on and on about how wonderful it would be.I found myself trying to explain when you live there all the time it's not the same as being on holiday, they never quite got it. We knew exactly what we were getting into but still wanted to give it a try. I'm so glad we did because now we know the longest we would ever want to stay is 3 months in the cooler weather and we can do that on the visa waiver programme. I feel so sorry for the Americans who have worked all their lives then something happens an accident or something and they loose everything, it's so unfair. (my husband works with some amazing people that this has happened to) They pay into health insurance for years then they loose it when they need it most. I'm so hopeful for the future with president Obama in charge but i think it will take years to get it up and running. At least we have the option to go back to safety and i am very grateful for that. Our out goings at home are so much less in the UK between health insurance, utility bills ( living here you have to have aircon or heat on all year round) at home we could go months without any heating on even with the UK weather, our food bills are less etc.The only thing i find more expensive is the cost of petrol, but as we say here you have to use a car all the time at home you can be without one.
I know you can't put a price on family but we know by doing what we are doing we will have the option to come and go between all three counties and spend time with all our family. Staying here would make it impossible for us to do that. So at the end of the day we still will have it all but in a different way, with no regrets.

I do believe life is too short for regrets. If things dont work out there is always plan B or even plan C and look at all the fun you would miss out on if you dont give it a try.

Just look at Anna she is a great example

Good luck to everyone what ever you decide, i hope you find happiness and contentment.

Chris
Old May 22nd 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your help. Apart from our dear daughter who is only 27 years old we dont have any real friends. We have tried like hell to achieve this but for what even reason have not been able to . We have the chance of returning for several years and working in Scotland. The job carries a house with it so we will not need to buy straight away. We dont have a lot of money but be able to live with enough and could invest the little we do have to cover the coming and going between hear and Australia. We are trying to sell a heavily mortgaged home at present in outer Sydney and are watching our hard earned asset slip away from us as we cant afford it now due to work cut backs interest rate hikes etc. We are desparte to go home and r connect with family and a country we left twenty years ago. I would love to chat to anyone on skype about all this - any takers out there?
That is a great opportunity if you have a job offer that comes with accommodation. You dont have to burn any bridges, you could just give it a go and see what you think. As long as you can speak to your daughter when you need to and have the funds to get over to see her if it gets too hard. We kept in contact everyway possible before we came over and will do when we get back. We would just have the webcam on watching the boys play. My daughter and i would be on the phone for hours. I could cook a meal, eat a meal and wash up through a conversation. The one thing i would say is dont try to do your ironing while your on the phone for a long time, unless it has a speaker phone on it. I've given myself a soar neck so many times lol.

For us it was harder once the grandchildren came along. So maybe now is a good time for you before any grandchildren come along. Our daughter has always known how much we love her we have always been a very close family and still were even with all that distance between us. We want that with our grandchildren.

Our grandchildren thought we lived at the airport for years when they were younger, because that's where they always came to meet us. I know how lucky we have been to come over and have so much time with them over the years. I would not have missed a minute of it. Our daughter often says if we hadn't been coming over here so many times over the years we could have gone round the world with what it has cost. I wouldn't change a thing that we have done, the world will always be there but grandchildren grow up and move on.

Sorry I'm not on skype, i use msn and yahoo messaging.

Take care and good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris
Old May 22nd 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lazy

Good for you, as i always say age is just a number. Its whats inside that counts.

Good luck.

Chris
Old May 22nd 2010, 9:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
I am so sorry to hear that. I know we were all hoping that things would get better for you once you had been back in Aus for a while, as we know what a tough decision that was for you. You really are stuck between a rock and a hard place. When I have been in that position, I have found it always best to do nothing. That means, just sit back and 'let the mud settle'. If anyone has ever read the Winnie the Pooh children's stories, they will know what I mean. There is a book called the Tao of Pooh. Pooh bear was the one character in the stories who would choose to do nothing at all when there was a problem, except to eat his honey! But he was the one that somehow came up with the solution!! The others would think it through to death (Owl), or rush through everything to make it work (Rabbit), or be too scared and end up making things worse (Piglet), or be totally negative and make a mountain out of a molehill (Eeyore)!!! Only Pooh would go with the flow, and just LET things happen, and all would work out! That has always worked so well for me (when I remember to just let go!!). For example, with my new maƱana attitude here in Malta, things have a habit of falling into place all by themselves. I have an interview for a different job on Monday! I only emailed my application yesterday afternoon, and within hours they called me! Of course, this job, like the last one, may not be what I want (night receptionist at a hotel resort & spa at the other end of the island), but hey, being asked for an interview brings a lot of self confidence! I am letting the mud settle, instead of churning it up and making nothing but dirty water!! See if that helps!!

BTW Those newbies on here, pretty soon you won't feel alone because this is one great big family!!!! I love you all, but I had never thought of Skyping anyone - great idea, but I would never get out of my flat if I did that - too many of us to chat with on here, we would be drinking cups of tea/coffee all day long!!! Maybe we could set up group Skypes???????
Anna, I have never read Winnie the Pooh books, but maybe it's about time I started LOL!

I think I have been guilty of being a few of those characters and maybe it's time for me to be like Pooh, sit back, eat the honey and go with the flow.

I know I am going to get a good job eventually, I'm just finding it so frustrating to get these knockbacks without even an interview. It does affect your self confidence especially as we get older.......

Being on here is really the best place to vent, knowing others are going through or will go through all these emotions we have.

I was just having a bad day yesterday as also having my son and his problems in my face again doesn't help.

Good luck with that job, sounds great working in a hotel with a spa, oooh you will probably get free treatments, now wouldn't that be lovely.
Old May 22nd 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ed/Peigi Where are you? we have not heard from you for a while, I hope you are OK, please post and let us know what is happening to you in Scotland,
Are you still in the same Job? is that female supervisor still giving you problems? maybe you have found another Job?
Please take care of yourself,
Write soon,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.