Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:35 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by rebs
As we're on a company move OH's employer are paying our costs and for the price of 3 one way business class flights, we were able to get a small suite on the QM2.
Wowza. Now that really WILL be nice! Lucky you!

From what I've read I think it will be quite formal attire on board - at least in the evenings. We're not really 'formal' people, but we've decided to go all out for the formal nights (there are 4 formal nights on our crossing, so would be a shame to miss out on all of those). OH has purchased a tux and I've managed to get a couple of proper, formal gowns. I've even managed to get a smart suit for my 12 year old son to wear!
From the videos we've looked at it, it definitely looks like "smart casual" during the day which we are relieved about. Your formal nights will be awesome because of your cabin class - you'll be dining in the best-of-the-best restaurants! What fun!

Hope you have a superb trip and look forward to hearing about it when you get a chance to drop us all a line.

Best wishes upon your return!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:41 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

To: rebs, DDL and Calle

How did you book your sailings on the QM2 - did you do it via a travel agency or did you book directly with Cunard?

I won't be moving out of New Jersey for at least another year or two, but the idea of sailing across is *very* tempting...

Rebs - I'm flying out of JFK on July 6th on Singapore Airlines.

Will be thinking of you (and will wave if I see the ship as we go by lol!)
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

How did you book your sailings on the QM2 - did you do it via a travel agency or did you book directly with Cunard?

I won't be moving out of New Jersey for at least another year or two, but the idea of sailing across is *very* tempting...

I'll wave back from the deck Englishmum

I booked mine through our own lovely Cindy

If you can take the time, I really can't see any negatives to the boat option - no luggage restrictions, no jet lag, no disruption due to the volcano, depending on where you are returning to it might be more convenient in the UK - we live in Dorset so just a 45 minute drive from Southampton.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
[F Antiqua]Just an fyi for those who might want to consider their return to the UK via ship as opposed to air.

1-way transatlantic via the QM2 from New York to Southampton (August 2010) :

Balcony room w/king bed = $1,195.00
Tax = $21.23
Cunard coach transfer from LaGuardia to pier = $34.00

TOTAL $1,255.23/per person

We booked our flights from Charleston to New York with air miles, so only had to pay $5.00 each (tax).

So, the grand total for 2 of us to move back to England via a 6-day transatlantic cruise on the Queen Mary 2 comes to
[/FONT] [F Antiqua]$2,520.46.

[/FONT] [F Antiqua]An airfare check on Expedia for those same sailing dates:

Roundtrip Charleston to Heathrow = $2,684/two
Roundtrip Charleston to Gatwick = $3,000/two

One-way Charleston to Heathrow = $2,062/two
[/FONT] [F Antiqua]One-way Charleston to Gatwick = $2,994/two

Looks like, in our situation, it is excellent value for money to return home via ship.
[/FONT] [F Antiqua][/FONT]
[/FONT]
WOW what a lovely way to go home Denise, QM2,

The last cruise I took was in 1969 when I left Australia to go home to UK after living in Oz for four years, I took the SS Malaysia cruise ship, I think that was the name, I departed from Sydney to Singapore it was I believe a 12 or maybe was it a 18 day voyage, I do remember we had several ports of call on the way, Port Moresby New Guinea was the first stop and then Indonesia, and maybe another port --- cant remember, and to the destination port ---- Singapore, that was a very nice cruise, the food was fantastic too,
Then I made my way down to Penang and took a passenger and cargo ship to Madras India, bought a ticket on a truck that took about 10 passengers all sitting in the back of the truck up to Kathmandoo in Nepal, stayed there for 5 weeks living in a very large room with about 15 other hippies, Girls & Guys then took buses & trains all through the countries --- Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, then to Istanbul Turkey, and then took the Orient express train from Istanbul to France, 3 days & nights, and then I took the ferry over to Folkstone I think it was? and then a train to Portsmouth
I planned the trip well and the Journey took six months from the time I left Sydney to the time I arrived in UK and home to Portsmouth,

It was a very nice experience and really opened my eyes to the way people in other countries live,
And I dont mind telling you though that when I finally got home I really felt so good, and I didn't take life in England for granted any more after doing that trip, I was very thankful that I was born in England,

But alas after 5 years of being back home and working there my wanderlust took over and in 1974 I found myself Emigrating to Canada, stayed there 3 years and then 1977 came to the States --- been here ever since, sometimes I wonder if I have any Gypsy blood in me from my ancestors ---- but shortly I will be going back home again after all these years, and I am really so looking forward to it too,
I know its a huge step for all of us to decide to go back to our roots, but we all thought about it a lot before we made the decision, and like a lot of people on here this is the right time for me, I am certain of it,

I have loved living over here in the USA and also get on well with Americans and I do like them, and my life has been as good as I could have made it I suppose, I have no regrets whatsoever, when I leave the US this year in November to go home I would be lying if I said that I would not miss the US,
I think most of us will miss our adopted country wherever it is,
After all its been our home for so long hasn't it,

But for all the people who have already left and to all the people who are getting ready to leave I wish you all the very best,
Im sure that when we are all over there in UK and we have gradually settled into our new life over there that we will all be very happy and that we will have ---- Just like the Shirley Bassey song says --- (NO REGRETS)
Rodney.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:57 am
DDL

I booked directly with Cunard on the phone, but I did some research first. I found cheaper rates on various websites (including VacationsToGo.com) so when I called Cunard I pointed that out and they "miraculously" had a "flash special" going on that day that gave me the very same rates, so do not necessarily rely on the rates that you see advertised on the Cunard website.

Plus, with cruising, you can request to be considered for a complimentary upgrade, which is what we did. If most of the "cheaper" rooms have been filled, but they still have people wanting to book those rooms, they upgrade people who already have made their reservations in the "cheaper" rooms - but only if you ask to be considered.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:02 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Cookie,
OK I am looking at my card now, it is the same size as a credit card so it fits into your wallet just right,
the color is light blue and red, and on the front of the card it says in big black letters -------- NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBERCARD,
Just below that Is my N.I. number,
And below the number is my full name,

Now I dont think I had this card when I left UK 36 years ago ------ I think I applied for it on one of my visits home, but I'm sure I have had it for a good 20 years,
But the N.I. number on the card (IS) the same one as was issued to me when I first started work at the age of 15 and all my working life in UK before I came to live in North America,
When I applied for my UK pension forcast on the phone to Newcastle I just gave him my name and N.I. number on my card and he puled my file from his computer within minutes, and he asked do I want my forcast sent to my U.S. address or U.K. address? I said please send it to my U.K. address which is my Mothers address, was way back then and still is the same, all he did was read out my UK address to me and he said is that correct, and I said yes,
and he said that my pension forcast will arrive within 6 weeks, ---- but it only took 3 weeks,
Rodney.
Sounds like it's the right card then. I only moved overseas 3 years ago and I have never had an NI card - after working 33 years it is embedded in my brain forever
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I used Vetbed in my cats carrier for our flight over to Canada. Suitable for keeping your pet dry if they pee while in the pet carrier.

http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/ProductSearch.aspx

Rodney - I think you may be confusing your NHS card with your NI card because you didn't get NI cards years ago (not sure if you even get them now). They are totally different things so you may have to track down your NI number.
I recieved my NI card, it is similiar to SIN card in Canada, same size, colour red and blue, withname and number inprinted on it
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:20 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Englishmum,
I booked directly with Cunard. We rang them up mainly to discuss the pet situation (I was taking 2 dogs and a cat), and they were really wonderful. They took the time to discuss it all with us, and managed to put OH, myself and 2 teens into a Quad cabin and all three pets into very roomy kennel accomodation. Cant remember now the price I would have to look back on my own threads or find my booking slips. Anyway, it was WAY lower than any flights we could have booked, so it saved us quite a bit. And the luxury was all included. Cant beat it really. We dressed smart casual during the day and night, except night dining, we dressed it up a bit. Nothing drastic, just suit for hubby and son, and evening dresses for daughter and I. Its not unusual to see quite casual either, as people dress more casual for sitting in the sun on the deck, and of course there is swimming and the gym which calls for really casual
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:56 am
DDL

WOW what a lovely way to go home Denise, QM2, The last cruise I took was in 1969 when I left Australia to go home to UK after living in Oz for four years, I took the SS Malaysia cruise ship, I think that was the name, I departed from Sydney to Singapore it was I believe a 12 or maybe was it a 18 day voyage, I do remember we had several ports of call on the way, Port Moresby New Guinea was the first stop and then Indonesia, and maybe another port --- cant remember, and to the destination port ---- Singapore, that was a very nice cruise, the food was fantastic too,
Then I made my way down to Penang and took a passenger and cargo ship to Madras India, bought a ticket on a truck that took about 10 passengers all sitting in the back of the truck up to Kathmandoo in Nepal, stayed there for 5 weeks living in a very large room with about 15 other hippies, Girls & Guys then took buses & trains all through the countries --- Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, then to Istanbul Turkey, and then took the Orient express train from Istanbul to France, 3 days & nights, and then I took the ferry over to Folkstone I think it was? and then a train to Portsmouth I planned the trip well and the Journey took six months from the time I left Sydney to the time I arrived in UK and home to Portsmouth, It was a very nice experience and really opened my eyes to the way people in other countries live, And I dont mind telling you though that when I finally got home I really felt so good, and I didn't take life in England for granted any more after doing that trip, I was very thankful that I was born in England, But alas after 5 years of being back home and working there my wanderlust took over and in 1974 I found myself Emigrating to Canada, stayed there 3 years and then 1977 came to the States --- been here ever since, sometimes I wonder if I have any Gypsy blood in me from my ancestors ---- but shortly I will be going back home again after all these years, and I am really so looking forward to it too, I know its a huge step for all of us to decide to go back to our roots, but we all thought about it a lot before we made the decision, and like a lot of people on here this is the right time for me, I am certain of it, I have loved living over here in the USA and also get on well with Americans and I do like them, and my life has been as good as I could have made it I suppose, I have no regrets whatsoever, when I leave the US this year in November to go home I would be lying if I said that I would not miss the US, I think most of us will miss our adopted country wherever it is, After all its been our home for so long hasn't it, But for all the people who have already left and to all the people who are getting ready to leave I wish you all the very best, Im sure that when we are all over there in UK and we have gradually settled into our new life over there that we will all be very happy and that we will have ---- Just like the Shirley Bassey song says --- (NO REGRETS)Rodney.
Rodney, Wow. What a life you have had! I loved reading about all your travel experiences. See, now those are the types of things a person can look back on in their life one day and smile about and say to themselves, ‘Yep, I’m a pretty cool cat.’ Do you have pictures from those days? I hope so!

You truly are an inspiration to me and all of us here. You just keep on keeping on, Rodney – your trip home will be here before you know it.

This is such a great group of people. I don’t know what I would do without all of you – the encouragement, the support, the generous help and guidance, all the sharing that goes on. Each of our situations is unique to us but we share a common thread. We’re all mad.

No, really that common thread is the desire to follow our heart – and the courage to actually do it.

There is a quote that I just love:

I used to want the words "She tried" on my tombstone. Now I want "She did it."

Now that it’s t-minus 6 weeks and counting, we put together a calendar last night of all the final tasks (with due dates) that have to be accomplished before the move. As much organization and work we’ve put into the move, we were surprised at the amount of work still remaining – things that you really can’t do until the final days/hours.

We’ll be turning in our notices at work 2 weeks from today. That gives our employer 4 weeks notice, and I think we’re going to take the following week as annual leave which will allow us to remain covered under our US health insurance policy for those 5 days onboard the ship and until we set foot in the UK.

Have a great week-end, everyone! We’re having our third (and hopefully, final) Yard Sale tomorrow. Everyone keeps asking me “What could you possibly have left to sell?” but it’s amazing what a second and third “sweep” of drawers and closets can produce!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Rodney, Wow. What a life you have had! I loved reading about all your travel experiences. See, now those are the types of things a person can look back on in their life one day and smile about and say to themselves, ‘Yep, I’m a pretty cool cat.’ Do you have pictures from those days? I hope so!

You truly are an inspiration to me and all of us here. You just keep on keeping on, Rodney – your trip home will be here before you know it.

This is such a great group of people. I don’t know what I would do without all of you – the encouragement, the support, the generous help and guidance, all the sharing that goes on. Each of our situations is unique to us but we share a common thread. We’re all mad.

No, really that common thread is the desire to follow our heart – and the courage to actually do it.

There is a quote that I just love:

I used to want the words "She tried" on my tombstone. Now I want "She did it."

Now that it’s t-minus 6 weeks and counting, we put together a calendar last night of all the final tasks (with due dates) that have to be accomplished before the move. As much organization and work we’ve put into the move, we were surprised at the amount of work still remaining – things that you really can’t do until the final days/hours.

We’ll be turning in our notices at work 2 weeks from today. That gives our employer 4 weeks notice, and I think we’re going to take the following week as annual leave which will allow us to remain covered under our US health insurance policy for those 5 days onboard the ship and until we set foot in the UK.

Have a great week-end, everyone! We’re having our third (and hopefully, final) Yard Sale tomorrow. Everyone keeps asking me “What could you possibly have left to sell?” but it’s amazing what a second and third “sweep” of drawers and closets can produce!
You got it right the first time................Yes, we are all mad!!!!!!!! In the best way possible of course

Just wanted to report in..............but first, a BON VOYAGE for the next wave of home travelers, seems there are quite a few in July! Good luck to everyone of you, and don't forget to leave that seat open for Trottytrue (who always manages to go with everyone!!!

Malta is still amazing. Now I have to fit in two volunteer jobs (training for both in July, one working in the hospital the other with chidren in a public school) and my part-time job at the hotel around the corner. Well of course it is, you know everything here for me is just around the corner This is the one where I had the interview way back when and we just laughed...........well, it seems I am now officially working for them, doing some marketing on the internet, about 20 hours a week - which suits me just fine. Money??? what money you ask!!!! Doesn't seem to exist in Malta, not until mañana!!! My TEFL course starts Monday, nose to the grindstone then. I still live in the NOW as you can tell, still having too much fun to be true!!! Love, love Malta!!! Now committing myself to staying here a year, see how it goes. But for sure, I am checking in here to see what my expat family is up to, as often as I can, and am still hoping to see some of your faces here or when I visit the UK. Or maybe we can meet in Sicily - had a wonderful trip there this week on the catamaran. Nice to see grass and green foliage!!!! Not a lot of that in Malta, too dry. Can't have everything though! Not being greedy, wouldn't change a thing. Well........let me rethink that..........nope, won't do it, I wouldn't change a thing.

ciao4now till the next time............Wishing everyone's dreams coming true...........
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Questions for those who have or those who are going to use the QE2 to come back to UK. Does your dogs have to be crated or do you walk them on. Are they checked on ship when you dock in UK. What was the price you paid to take them.

Was talking with husband and mentioned that this would be a nice way to travel for him and the dogs. Not so stressful for hubby and he would feel better being able to visit the girls.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
[F Wow. What a life you have had! I loved reading about all your travel experiences. See, now those are the types of things a person can look back on in their life one day and smile about and say to themselves, ‘Yep, I’m a pretty cool cat.’ Do you have pictures from those days? I hope so!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F truly are an inspiration to me and all of us here. You just keep on keeping on, Rodney – your trip home will be here before you know it.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F is such a great group of people. I don’t know what I would do without all of you – the encouragement, the support, the generous help and guidance, all the sharing that goes on. Each of our situations is unique to us but we share a common thread. We’re all mad.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F really that common thread is the desire to follow our heart – and the courage to actually do it.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F is a quote that I just love:[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F I used to want the words "She tried" on my tombstone. Now I want "She did it."[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F that it’s t-minus 6 weeks and counting, we put together a calendar last night of all the final tasks (with due dates) that have to be accomplished before the move. As much organization and work we’ve put into the move, we were surprised at the amount of work still remaining – things that you really can’t do until the final days/hours.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F be turning in our notices at work 2 weeks from today. That gives our employer 4 weeks notice, and I think we’re going to take the following week as annual leave which will allow us to remain covered under our US health insurance policy for those 5 days onboard the ship and until we set foot in the UK.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[F
[F a great week-end, everyone! We’re having our third (and hopefully, final) Yard Sale tomorrow. Everyone keeps asking me “What could you possibly have left to sell?” but it’s amazing what a second and third “sweep” of drawers and closets can produce![/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hi Denise,
Thanks so much for those kind words, yes I do have pictures of those traveling days of mine, they are all black & white photos, I took them with my Kodak Brownie camera, My Aunt bought it for my Birthday before I left to emigrate to Oz as a ten pound pom in 1965, do you know that I still have that camara still in its little canvas casecameraa strap that goes over your kneck or shoulder, it is in mint condineckbecause I only used it a few times in Sydney taking pics before I left and from the ship sailing away from Sydney harbour,
And also used it taking pics in Kathmandoo and India and through out the journey through all the countries through the far east and middle east,
It may be worth a bit of money now to a collector, dont know, but I dont think that you can buy the kind of film that you would need for a camara like that any more,
Well you cameraare Denise,
Rodney.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Denise,
Thanks so much for those kind words, yes I do have pictures of those traveling days of mine, they are all black & white photos, I took them with my Kodak Brownie camera, My Aunt bought it for my Birthday before I left to emigrate to Oz as a ten pound pom in 1965, do you know that I still have that camara still in its little canvas casecameraa strap that goes over your kneck or shoulder, it is in mint condineckbecause I only used it a few times in Sydney taking pics before I left and from the ship sailing away from Sydney harbour,
And also used it taking pics in Kathmandoo and India and through out the journey through all the countries through the far east and middle east,
It may be worth a bit of money now to a collector, dont know, but I dont think that you can buy the kind of film that you would need for a camara like that any more,
Well you cameraare Denise,
Rodney.
well that was weird, when I finished that post to you Denise I clicked on the submit reply button and a lot of the words got really screwed up,
But when I signed off It was supposed to have said --- Well you take care Denise,
Rodney, somehow the word camera got in there too,
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Re the madness!!

I have a little saying I have saved and will get made into some kind of wall art when I have a job and some dosh!

THOSE WHO DANCED WERE THOUGHT TO BE QUITE INSANE BY THOSE THAT COULD NOT HEAR THE MUSIC.

I think that pretty much sums up this whole group, don't you think?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:53 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Beedubya
THOSE WHO DANCED WERE THOUGHT TO BE QUITE INSANE BY THOSE THAT COULD NOT HEAR THE MUSIC

Absolutely brilliant! That one's going in my commonplace book!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.