Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Good Evening everyone, Does anyone know if any other company other than Cunard have sailing to Uk from North America and that you can take your dogs on with you. Even though it seem to be the ideal way for husband to come with the dogs I do not think that I can wait all that time for him to get here.

I did take the train to Largs today, cost me £6.90 return, the journey was lovely and even though the seaside town of Largs is beautiful for me the journey is better than actually reaching the destination. This is for many reason, when you are on the train there is always something different to see and it does not really mattter if you are by yourself as you become absorbed in the scenery and the people getting off and on at all the different stops. But when you are alone the destination seems a very lonely place to be, you have a meal, walk through the town, take pictures and then the fact that everyone else is with family or friends really hits home. I do try to absorb myself in a good book and enjoy the beautiful sun and the sound of the sea but unfortunately for me it is loss of my best friend, my husband. When you are married to someone for a long time there is a rythme when you are together, even when you are spending quiet time. It is very difficult to describe but it is almost like two hearts beating the same rythme at the same time and when the one heart is not there the other heart has a hard time keeping its beat.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Here is maybe another option for going home to the UK. I knew of an elderley couple who travelled every year by freighter and would not go any other way. They had some wonderful experiences and visited many places cruise ships would never go. They also raved about the food.

It does not look as though pets can travel this way but maybe worth checking further.
http://www.freighter-travel.com/travel-faq.html
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Evening everyone, Does anyone know if any other company other than Cunard have sailing to Uk from North America and that you can take your dogs on with you. Even though it seem to be the ideal way for husband to come with the dogs I do not think that I can wait all that time for him to get here.

I did take the train to Largs today, cost me £6.90 return, the journey was lovely and even though the seaside town of Largs is beautiful for me the journey is better than actually reaching the destination. This is for many reason, when you are on the train there is always something different to see and it does not really mattter if you are by yourself as you become absorbed in the scenery and the people getting off and on at all the different stops. But when you are alone the destination seems a very lonely place to be, you have a meal, walk through the town, take pictures and then the fact that everyone else is with family or friends really hits home. I do try to absorb myself in a good book and enjoy the beautiful sun and the sound of the sea but unfortunately for me it is loss of my best friend, my husband. When you are married to someone for a long time there is a rythme when you are together, even when you are spending quiet time. It is very difficult to describe but it is almost like two hearts beating the same rythme at the same time and when the one heart is not there the other heart has a hard time keeping its beat.
Here is DEFRA's list of approved routes:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...nfo/routes.htm

- Non-EU routes by sea only include Cunard/QM2, unfortunately.

EU routes by sea include various ports in Denmark, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, and France (loads).
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
My personal note is that I was in UK when the first woman PM Margaret Thatcher came in. .I was in Canada when Kim Campbell became the first woman PM and now I am in Oz when Julia Gillard the first woman PM arrives..Wow!
Sheesh, Relocateme, so you are to blame are you?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Hello All...Relocateme here!

My personal note is that I was in UK when the first woman PM Margaret Thatcher came in. .I was in Canada when Kim Campbell became the first woman PM and now I am in Oz when Julia Gillard the first woman PM arrives..Wow!

As a favour, could you not move to the US anytime soon. I really don't want to see Sarah Palin in the White House
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
As a favour, could you not move to the US anytime soon. I really don't want to see Sarah Palin in the White House
I totally agree
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:52 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Originally Posted by Marmalade
I totally agree
There's loads of better American female politicans than Sarah Palin!!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw ED, i am glad you liked the train ride but so sad for you that you are mssing hubby. I dont know all your story, read some of this thread in the early days when i think you were planning your move home. Do you have any family there, have you ever thought of just cutting your loses on the home, or do you have a small mortage, see we moved here 13 years ago and actually have negative equity now...... and if it were my choice i think i would just pack up and go for it ........
I feel your sadness at missing hubby, hopeful it will not be too long now.....
would you have done anything different if you could?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Teatime..Glad to made the decision to go home thats the hardest part realizing that you do not want to spend the rest of your life sitting on the sideline looking on. Now comes the difficult time deciding what you want to take with you clearing out and selling up. Two years might sound like a long time but its not you need to make a list of 'things to do' and a time line

People in the US can be very strange I suppose it depends on where you live I let my neighbours dogs out a few times a week as she works not for money. She ask me would I mind. Yesterday I was trimming the hedge at the top of the driveway and I know she saw me but she purposely chose to leave the house without even saying hello. Twice she did it, so I am good enough to let the dogs out but not good enough to bother to say hello to. I just give up. I can walk up and down the street and people just keep their heads down and never bother with a friendly greeting.
Totty, you know what to do next time just a, no sorry cant do it.....
As you live only 4 miles from me I know the kind of people you talk about, they are right here on my road, avoid looking at you, my neighbour of 5 years will walk down her drive, I will be driving in and she looks straight ahead......
house the other side, Hubby has been gone since Jan only found out last Memorial day, fridnly lot here in Rural NH! ( NOT)
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rodney, so sorry about your friend, I hope he comes back around but if not then just remember you will be many thousand miles away in a few months.....
I have a few good friends here, but my best friends are the ones who I have known for between 22- 37 years..... all english and all still very much a part of my life.......
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestagirl
Rodney, so sorry about your friend, I hope he comes back around but if not then just remember you will be many thousand miles away in a few months.....
I have a few good friends here, but my best friends are the ones who I have known for between 22- 37 years..... all english and all still very much a part of my life.......
Thanks Lestagirl,
In all these years that I have been living in the US I've never been able to meet any UK friends, the few friends I have had throughout the years have always been American,
I have lived in four States, California, New Jersey, Alaska, and for the last over two decades Nevada, In this State I have not ever met any other British people that live here, I used to think that I must be the only one here
But of course there must be others, but probably not too many, I think the terrible hot dry climate here keeps most Brits away, after all it is the opposite kind of weather that we are used to in UK that has plenty of rain and much cooler temps, ------ cant hardly wait to see some rain again when I go home,
Bring it on !!!

What about other people on this thread who live in USA, in the many different States that you all live in are most of your friends British?

When I lived in Reno NV I had four American friends, but when I moved to Las Vegas 14 years ago those so called friendships that I valued went up in a puff of smoke within the first year, I used to phone them regulary, and also emailed them, and then suddenly my phone calls went straight to anwsering machine or voice mail --- and they never called me back anymore, my emails would be ignored too, so after a while I just gave up and put it down to --- well they all have there own lives to live and I'm not there anymore,
They seem to forget you so fast when you move away,
There (IS) one Brit person that I know here in Vegas, he is from London, been living here in US 16 years, he is just a guy that I work with, I have known him for 14 months since I have been working at this company, but he's not a friend, we have only talked at work occasionally, he did say he is planning on going back home within the next year,

You know its strange I always thought that I fitted in over here in US, but now I am thinking that maybe I never really did, I just thought I did, maybe thats why I never really had real friends, you know the ones I'm talking about that are always your friends no matter what,
So maybe just like a lot of people on here all this time I have been like you, standing outside the candy shop looking through the window but cant get to the candy,

Now I'm thinking that when I get back home will I have the same feeling there, cause I have been away for so long, and will I be accepted over there?
Will they ever look at me as one of there own, will I be able to just fit in there,

And you know sometimes I even wonder how my own family over there (REALLY) thinks of my decision to come home, except my Mum, I'm pretty sure she is looking forward to me coming home,

Excuse me everyone I am just babbling on here, I am just airing my thoughts and feelings, I will feel better tomorrow maybe, you know I was thinking that I was all alone now, but then I realized that I'm not at all alone cause I have all you wonderful people out there who are my friends,

You know one day when we are all back home we really (MUST) sometime arrange a getogether reunion for us all, I know it has been mentioned before by a lot of people on here ---- but when the time is right we really should get it planned,
Because we all understand each other, because we are all in the same boat doing the same thing, (GOING HOME)
Take care everyone,
Kind regards,
Rodney.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestagirl
Aw ED, i am glad you liked the train ride but so sad for you that you are mssing hubby. I dont know all your story, read some of this thread in the early days when i think you were planning your move home. Do you have any family there, have you ever thought of just cutting your loses on the home, or do you have a small mortage, see we moved here 13 years ago and actually have negative equity now...... and if it were my choice i think i would just pack up and go for it ........
I feel your sadness at missing hubby, hopeful it will not be too long now.....
would you have done anything different if you could?
Hi Lestagirl, unfortunately we purchased the house only few years ago and still have a mortgage on it, we have dropped the price twice now. We thought that by moving from the Praries in Canada to a Province in the East Coast that I would feel more at home closer to the sea and on an island that had a culture closer to home but if anything it made it worse.
I have wondered if I would do anything different, and yes there is a few things. I would still have to come and get things settled over here but I would of waited until the spring and not come in the fall, or we should of come over when I sold the business and our house in the Praries instead of investing our savings with an invester who invested it in a ponsy Canadian scheme and caused us financial disaster. My husband tells me all the time that we cannot look backward but have to look to the future, it is hard sometimes, but you have to, don't you, what if's will drive you crazy.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
Sheesh, Relocateme, so you are to blame are you?
Yep,...its all down to me!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks Lestagirl,
In all these years that I have been living in the US I've never been able to meet any UK friends, the few friends I have had throughout the years have always been American,
I have lived in four States, California, New Jersey, Alaska, and for the last over two decades Nevada, In this State I have not ever met any other British people that live here, I used to think that I must be the only one here
But of course there must be others, but probably not too many, I think the terrible hot dry climate here keeps most Brits away, after all it is the opposite kind of weather that we are used to in UK that has plenty of rain and much cooler temps, ------ cant hardly wait to see some rain again when I go home,
Bring it on !!!

What about other people on this thread who live in USA, in the many different States that you all live in are most of your friends British?

When I lived in Reno NV I had four American friends, but when I moved to Las Vegas 14 years ago those so called friendships that I valued went up in a puff of smoke within the first year, I used to phone them regulary, and also emailed them, and then suddenly my phone calls went straight to anwsering machine or voice mail --- and they never called me back anymore, my emails would be ignored too, so after a while I just gave up and put it down to --- well they all have there own lives to live and I'm not there anymore,
They seem to forget you so fast when you move away,
There (IS) one Brit person that I know here in Vegas, he is from London, been living here in US 16 years, he is just a guy that I work with, I have known him for 14 months since I have been working at this company, but he's not a friend, we have only talked at work occasionally, he did say he is planning on going back home within the next year,

You know its strange I always thought that I fitted in over here in US, but now I am thinking that maybe I never really did, I just thought I did, maybe thats why I never really had real friends, you know the ones I'm talking about that are always your friends no matter what,
So maybe just like a lot of people on here all this time I have been like you, standing outside the candy shop looking through the window but cant get to the candy,

Now I'm thinking that when I get back home will I have the same feeling there, cause I have been away for so long, and will I be accepted over there?
Will they ever look at me as one of there own, will I be able to just fit in there,

And you know sometimes I even wonder how my own family over there (REALLY) thinks of my decision to come home, except my Mum, I'm pretty sure she is looking forward to me coming home,

Excuse me everyone I am just babbling on here, I am just airing my thoughts and feelings, I will feel better tomorrow maybe, you know I was thinking that I was all alone now, but then I realized that I'm not at all alone cause I have all you wonderful people out there who are my friends,

You know one day when we are all back home we really (MUST) sometime arrange a getogether reunion for us all, I know it has been mentioned before by a lot of people on here ---- but when the time is right we really should get it planned,
Because we all understand each other, because we are all in the same boat doing the same thing, (GOING HOME)
Take care everyone,
Kind regards,
Rodney.
Rodney,

I think the same thing about going home. Will I fit in again? But, I wonder if I ever did, seeing I had the wanderlust in me. I am a very private person that keeps a lot to herself and was never the typical Brit anyway. But, I do have some very close friends back home that I see everytime I am home. Cannot wait to 'fit' back in whatever that means. I think it just means feeling comfortable with where you are and the people you are with. Seeing I am quite a loner sometimes it doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I want to be there, so things will work out as they are supposed to. What's that saying - 'What's meant for you will not pass you by.' I have fretted for 2 years about moving home and how things will be, but I know that is where I am supposed to be, no matter who is negative about it (I have a family member that can make me feel really bad about myself and my decisions in 1 second flat...............got to ignore these comments, I need to remind myself).

As far as British friends here in the US, I have had them, but they all seem to go back home at one point or another. Most of my friends are Americans, but that being said most of them think I am crazy for wanting to go back to Scotland. A few think I should do what I want to do, but they will miss me. I wonder how many of them will keep in touch...that remains to be seen. If they are true friends, 4,000 miles should not make any difference. My best friend lives in New York (she is from Scotland), and we have been friends for over 25 years.......so it can be done if it is meant to be.

Rodney, I know that you are questioning things right now, with good reason. But, I wholeheartedly think that you will have a lovely time when you move home. Just ignore the negative people and enjoy your life, that is what I am choosing to do.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just wanted to clarify, those friends i mention are all in UK, I have only one English friend here and that it is Trottytrue and we have only met once 2 weeks ago, no brits around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.