Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I got 70% first try, I passed I can be a Brit!

- I get the message that you need at least 75% to pass the test - I got 83% first test (passed), 70% second test (failed), 75% third test (passed) and then I stopped Some questions were hard , some silly and I guessed correctly the number of member in the Welsh Assembly And the one regarding West Indians being recruited to work on the buses was guessed because of the old comedy show of the same name - who'd have though my childhood viewing habits would come in helpful!!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
- I get the message that you need at least 75% to pass the test - I got 83% first test (passed), 70% second test (failed), 75% third test (passed) and then I stopped Some questions were hard , some silly and I guessed correctly the number of member in the Welsh Assembly And the one regarding West Indians being recruited to work on the buses was guessed because of the old comedy show of the same name - who'd have though my childhood viewing habits would come in helpful!!
I thought it said 70 (I know I need glasses ) but it did say you passed. I'm off to try again and read more carefully
OK I tried a few more tests passed 4 our of 5 of them. even got 100% on one!

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 24th 2010 at 1:54 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
The "Life in the UK Test" I had to take/pass in order to get my UK residency (it is also the same test used for UK Citizenship) was a computerized test of 24 questions. I think you can miss up to 7 questions.

I studied for months and months (reading the study guide and taking online practice tests) beforehand and I found it a very difficult test! There were lots of percentages to know, etc. (But I did pass.)

Try it yourself! http://www.hiren.info/life-in-the-uk-test/1

I did well at first and passed, as I continued I guessed at things I had no clue about and my score went down the toilet, I know alot about the UK, I live and breath it everyday with passion, but the percentages are so close Id bet most Brits living in the UK couldnt answer some of those questions correctly, some questions seemed a bit dumb and Yes I know I sound like a loser, the bus driver I thought was a trick, little did I know thats why we had so many bus drivers from abroad.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
PBS is re-airing MI-5, from the beginning, in Canada and US starting on Thursday, 30 Sept 2010.
Thanks IF1, in this part of the country (Oregon) we only got to see the first 2 or 3 series, I believe the UK is up to series 9 right now.

I sure hope our station shows MI-5, I like PBS but they do vary shows through out the country, I used to live near Salt Lake, we had a few hours Britcoms on every night of the week, Here in Oregon we have just three Britscoms on Saturday night, that's it. huhhhhhh, I expected better from somewhere so diverse as Portland.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=cheers;8873673]
We are following the following Brit productions. Midsummer Murders,
MI 5, Inspector Lewis, Doyle? and Inspector Morse.

My wife and I watch every British mystery that we get a chance to see, we enjoy them so much, we like the ones above, plus Frost, New Tricks, Hustle, Miss Marples, Inspector Lyndley, Foyles War, and oldies like Cracker, Silent Witness and Waking the Dead, I'm sure I've missed many others, I wonder how many others we miss that don't show in America.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
OK you started it.

I don't like BBC America especially that dumb show Top Gear.

Love Rowan Atkinson but never understood 'Black Adder'

Never understood the Holy Grail?

I could watch A Fish Called Wander over and over again.

That's too bad, but we all have preference, I like BBC America especially Top Gear, the New series starts this Monday.

I Love Rowan Atkinson shows and I do get Black Adder, I think you either get it or you don't, I just love it although some are better than others, I also enjoy Hugh Laurie and Stephen Frye in Black Adder.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
In arizona on PBS we get a great show called "New Tricks". It's very British and wonderful. I had huge school project due today and am cramming it in now as I watched the show last night as don't ever like to miss an episdoe! . check it out if it's in your area..
I absolutely love "New Tricks". It was shown here for a few years, but not recently (although I know the show is still in production). The first few series are now available at Amazon or Netflix. It's a mixture of mystery/comedy - retired police officers recalled to investigate former "closed cases". Love Dennis Waterman in it.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

yes it is super. very very British nobody else could make same show..you know Dennis Waterman sings the song on the show.. "It's alright, it's okay, doesn't even matter if you're old and grey".. It's a catchy song and now I will have in my head for rest os fay..
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i just got rid of BBC America they keep showing in Arizona episidoes Star Trek Generations day in and out. i never thougth I would get rid of it but did. Netflix is beckoning..Sorry to get off track with topic of this discussion. to get back on track - I will be in UK for Xmas for first time since left UK back in 1984.. should be fun..spending xmas when sun shines all bloody day not my cup of tea.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

i just got rid of BBC America they keep showing in Arizona episidoes Star Trek Generations day in and out. i never thougth I would get rid of it but did. Netflix is beckoning..Sorry to get off track with topic of this discussion. to get back on track - I will be in UK for Xmas for first time since left UK back in 1984.. should be fun..spending xmas when sun shines all bloody day not my cup of tea.
Where in the UK? Hope you get some snow!! I nearly always have a White Christmas here - unfortunately when it starts snowing here it forgets to stop - have seen plenty of White Easters too!!! (not kidding - we often get snow in April).
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

My home town is Preston but to be honest may spend it with friends in Scotland (Newton Stewart).. So miss England but time is not right for me to return and right now have more career opportunities than I would in UK. Brill place though and will always miss it.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Will do the adult beverage thing! My daughter suggested I did a few of those to tide me over....
Im flying out in less then 9 weeks, last time I was home was 4 years ago, I hate flying too, and it scares me, so what I have always done is as soon as the flight attendants start bringing the booze around I have a couple of those mini bottles of Bacardi gold, I drink as much as I am allowed every time they come around and Im able to sleep through a lot of the flight, thinking Virgin wont be as generous these days with the booze so am thinking of bringing my own bottle with me, not sure though if they let you do that or not,
Rodney.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well I had my medical yesterday, I think I posted on the site it was next week, sorry. I passed, not with flying colors, overweight, etc. but I can now really feel that sense of joy at being gainfully employed. I also recieved my first paycheck in my account this morning, they pay on the last Friday of the month and it includes pay up until next Thursday, how different is that from the last place.
I am really enjoying my job, the office is a nice mix of men, women, old and young and my manager is a lovely person with a great sense of humour. I finally feel that I have arrived, although it is actually a year today. My goodness how that year has flown past, so many ups and downs, some of those downs were a long way down, but my heartfelt thanks goes out to all of you on this thread for your love and support.
Now on to my next goal, finding a little car to get around in and getting the rest of the family over here.
Oh Ed,Pegie Wonderful news that you passed the medical ---- I was a little worried about that, great, now upwards and onwards, fantastic that you like the Job and the people, So for you it WAS the third time lucky, ---- and they actually pay you too unlike the last Job, by the way any news on getting that money they owe you from that Job # two?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Im flying out in less then 9 weeks, last time I was home was 4 years ago, I hate flying too, and it scares me, so what I have always done is as soon as the flight attendants start bringing the booze around I have a couple of those mini bottles of Bacardi gold, I drink as much as I am allowed every time they come around and Im able to sleep through a lot of the flight, thinking Virgin wont be as generous these days with the booze so am thinking of bringing my own bottle with me, not sure though if they let you do that or not,
Rodney.
You can't take liquids through security so you are out of luck, you'll have to beg the cabin crew for liquor and watch the TV in the back of the seat in front all the way back to London
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

My home town is Preston but to be honest may spend it with friends in Scotland (Newton Stewart).. So miss England but time is not right for me to return and right now have more career opportunities than I would in UK. Brill place though and will always miss it.
Oh I know Preston - I didn't live too far from there. I grew up in Northern Ireland, but then moved to England. I lived in Warrington. Not too far from Preston. My sister lives in Scotland. My mum was Scottish - I also have 2 aunties there and several cousins. I love Scotland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.