Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Think they must have all moved back to the UK and not told us
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2aT
Yes where is everyone I haven't got my fix today of this thread, lol Is it market day and everyone has gone/been shopping?
So funny. We had a full day, Dh had a hospital visit to get an x-ray he's been coughing for 2 months straight and making me crazy, I think me being crazy is the only reason the doc ordered it I'm sure he's fine. Just noisy.
Then we had to run to town, pay a bill, run through the thrift shop where I can say I'm now the proud owner of a couple of lovely Liz Claiborne winter tops and found Dd a like new Christmas dress, red velvet. Dh found a video of 2001 a space odyssey, so guess what he's doing now? That plus housework and cooking dinner (we had a rice pudding) and the excitement of someone stalking out new neighbors house, very strange goings on, better than telly round here. I don't get many busy days like that.
Tomorrow we are going on the Kindergarten field trip to the hospital, we should have saved Dh's chest x-ray the kids could have watched. They get fed by the hospital before coming back to school so I don't have to pack her lunch. Maybe I'll stalk all the different departments they take us too and try to find a job while I'm there.
So where did the rest of you get to?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Oh I wish. Dh is now suggesting I take the kids for Christmas 2011 instead of summer. I want us all back in 2012, so we may as well wait, but it is tempting.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Fish n chips.... Been out in the garden pulling up weeds I swear everytime I pull up a weed I pull up a flower. Now I can hear a dammed animal up in the attic. Even putting the lights on is not detering him.

19 houses went into foreclosure in town this month not a good thing. Nothing we can do about it. Out of our control. Its all so frustrating.

ED...Like Rodney said if anyone deserves the best its you. Anyone that can take all you have had thown at you and survive has to be strong and thats you. Must be your Scottish ancestry. I hope you and your hubby are back together this time next year and your babies. Just think a whole year has past since you started your jouney. Just very happy for you so much to plan and look forward to

Charleygirl.. were's the email. Having to good a time no doubt. I hope your stocking up on food to bring back with you for Christmas.

Rodney... What did you decide to do. Does your Mum want anything from the US. My mum always liked the beets and pickles. That was about it.

High Tide... How long are you staying in England.

DDL... It also the same about food. My family think I am silly when cant get enough of cakes and savouries. Just a simple thing like sauages or bacon. They dont understand how good they have it.
Hi Trotty,

I think we will try to head over about the 25th. November and probably stay until Jan 10th. or thereabouts. Really hope we are able to find a property. Hope to be able to find a small B&B at an affordable price. I hope it is not a crazy time to be buying a business in the UK with the current economy and the cutbacks announced in the last couple of days. There is a lot of competition there so we will really have to be careful where we buy.

Anyway we will give it our best shot and hopefully things will work out. It really is where we want to be and oh to be serving those wonderful sausages at breakfast. Yum.

Hope you found that animal in the attic.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, very busy day yesterday, ended up at 2 pm going to council meeting then on to meeting one of our private clients. Having to go back at 7am this morning to do spot check on care workers. Must get a car soon as right now I have to depend on someone giving me a lift if I have to go out to visit clients. I am getting to use my medical knowledge more and more and my ideas are certainly taken seriously, already I have revamped one of their documents.
This weekend will be taken up with packing and getting ready for move on November 1st, then no more moving for at least a year, We had our first frost here in the South of Ayrshire and snow has fallen in the Highlands so winter is definetly on it way, yesterday that old North wind was certainly blowing the leaves off the trees, making that walk in the park very crunchie indeed. Well, better get going still have to take the dog out for a walk,
Jackie, hope that you are feeling better

For those packing to move back home, congratulations, Christmas back with family and old friends , how lovely.

Rodney, not long now.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish n chips.... Been out in the garden pulling up weeds I swear everytime I pull up a weed I pull up a flower. Now I can hear a dammed animal up in the attic. Even putting the lights on is not detering him.

19 houses went into foreclosure in town this month not a good thing. Nothing we can do about it. Out of our control. Its all so frustrating.

DDL... It also the same about food. My family think I am silly when cant get enough of cakes and savouries. Just a simple thing like sauages or bacon. They dont understand how good they have it

Hi Trotty.
I have a hard time telling the difference sometimes, some weeds look better than the flowers Hahahhaaa, Luckily my wife has the Green Thumb in our house...

Animal in attic... What kind???

Foreclosures, Im not sure how many around here, Id sooner not know, its too many no matter what, it makes for tough competition, devaluing our homes Huhhhhhhh, I try not to worry about things I cant control.

Sausage, funny you mention it, I had Shannon Irish sausages tonight, they are very good if you can find them and their bacon is good too, I drove 100+ miles round trip today to pick up my english food, check aroud your area, maybe you can find them, Expensive but cheaper than steak and you can get a few meals from a packet.

I agree that in the UK many dont know how good they have it, and I mean in so many ways, Food, Medical, vacations and much much more.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

On Boy thats a great comment, if only it was so easy.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh I wish. Dh is now suggesting I take the kids for Christmas 2011 instead of summer. I want us all back in 2012, so we may as well wait, but it is tempting.
I suppose you'd sooner save the money and put it towards a real trip back in 2012. Cant blame you.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on the move to Ipswich, Suffolk which is why I have not posted or even read this thread for the past three days. Everyone else seems to be busy too, as it is somewhat slim pickings on here! Took the train from Liverpool Street to Ipswich - about an hour and fifteen minutes journey - not long at all. The taxi ride from Ealing to Liverpool took an hour! And cost £50! The taxi driver was nice - lots to talk about, and I am glad he did the driving as the traffic was horrendous. Liverpool Street is newly refurbished after the bombs there a few years back. Now there are no trash containers as a safety measure (leaving explosives in the metal containers), and the loudspeaker reminds you to attend to your luggage at all times, and that unattended luggage will be removed and destroyed. The train was an intercity one, so there was a dining car that sells sandwiches and drinks - there may be more than that, but I am unsure. Perhaps if it were one like the Glasgow Sleeper there would be a fully fledged dining experience to be had. Well, had to come back to London today for another chore, and will return to Ipswich tomorrow. I found out that if you ask at the station for a set train with a cheap price, that is so much more affordable than the regular single fare. For example: single to Ipswich is £30, open return Liverpool St - Ipswich - Liverpool St is £31, and a fixed train at 12 noon is £13! So guess which one I am taking...
Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I am on the move to Ipswich, Suffolk which is why I have not posted or even read this thread for the past three days. Everyone else seems to be busy too, as it is somewhat slim pickings on here! Took the train from Liverpool Street to Ipswich - about an hour and fifteen minutes journey - not long at all. The taxi ride from Ealing to Liverpool took an hour! And cost £50! The taxi driver was nice - lots to talk about, and I am glad he did the driving as the traffic was horrendous. Liverpool Street is newly refurbished after the bombs there a few years back. Now there are no trash containers as a safety measure (leaving explosives in the metal containers), and the loudspeaker reminds you to attend to your luggage at all times, and that unattended luggage will be removed and destroyed. The train was an intercity one, so there was a dining car that sells sandwiches and drinks - there may be more than that, but I am unsure. Perhaps if it were one like the Glasgow Sleeper there would be a fully fledged dining experience to be had. Well, had to come back to London today for another chore, and will return to Ipswich tomorrow. I found out that if you ask at the station for a set train with a cheap price, that is so much more affordable than the regular single fare. For example: single to Ipswich is £30, open return Liverpool St - Ipswich - Liverpool St is £31, and a fixed train at 12 noon is £13! So guess which one I am taking...
By mentioning Liverpool Street Station it reminded me of this wonderful commercial made there last year. I am sure many of you have seen it but for those that have not here goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM There are some truly wonderful characters in it.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
By mentioning Liverpool Street Station it reminded me of this wonderful commercial made there last year. I am sure many of you have seen it but for those that have not here goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM There are some truly wonderful characters in it.
Thanks - I loved that UTube, and have posted it on my Facebook page for others to enjoy. Rosie
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rodney are you in Reno ? If so I hope you are having a great time revisiting old haunts !!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Loved it!!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:19 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I've just got back to New Jersey after spending last week in London - hubby flew in from Singapore (where he's based on an expat posting) for his 50th birthday with his twin brother.

He was working in one of his company's London offices for a couple of days, so I decided to go and see my mum and siblings in Coventry (94 miles from London) for 2 days/1 night.

I went online to:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

and took a very comfortable coach from Victoria coach station to Coventry.

The trip was just 7 pounds each way!

(The buses were on time and kept exactly to schedule too )

PS: I'm too young to qualify for the 'Senior citizens' discount, but it's even cheaper on National Express for anyone aged 60+

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/over60s.cfm

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 21st 2010 at 11:22 am.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

When I go to UK I hate to drive as only ever learned to drive in US. I take National Express for days trips from Preston to wherever. Took trip from Newton Stewart to Preston and loved it! Had bus to myself nearly all the way. those lovely huge windows and British countryside - priceless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.