Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

For those of you back in the UK what do you think of the prices of houses are they going up or down and what about bank owned. Just wondering if things are getting better or worse. Depending on which country your are in
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Wish you could have seen me today. Planning for the future. Want the garden to look nice next Spring so bought some lupin seeds and had to plant them today as I had soaked them in water two days ago. Well wouldnt you know it started to rain.So I was out there in my wellies planting seeds one at a time. Rain dripping off my nose. In the end I found it quite peaceful and started to enjoy it and pulling more weeds was much easier when they are wet.

My next door neighbour has a house showing tomorrow. Suppose I should be happy for her. How come I'm not............
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hi Trotty,

I think we will try to head over about the 25th. November and probably stay until Jan 10th. or thereabouts. Really hope we are able to find a property. Hope to be able to find a small B&B at an affordable price. I hope it is not a crazy time to be buying a business in the UK with the current economy and the cutbacks announced in the last couple of days. There is a lot of competition there so we will really have to be careful where we buy.

Anyway we will give it our best shot and hopefully things will work out. It really is where we want to be and oh to be serving those wonderful sausages at breakfast. Yum.

Hope you found that animal in the attic.
Good luck David, let us know when you have booked your ticket,
My Mum said a few weeks ago that those lovely big plump sausages that we brits love are real small now, not like they used to be, I hope she is wrong,
DDL/Denise, charleygirl, Ed/pegie and all the rest over there ---- please say its not true,
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Fish n chips.... Been out in the garden pulling up weeds I swear everytime I pull up a weed I pull up a flower. Now I can hear a dammed animal up in the attic. Even putting the lights on is not detering him.

19 houses went into foreclosure in town this month not a good thing. Nothing we can do about it. Out of our control. Its all so frustrating.

ED...Like Rodney said if anyone deserves the best its you. Anyone that can take all you have had thown at you and survive has to be strong and thats you. Must be your Scottish ancestry. I hope you and your hubby are back together this time next year and your babies. Just think a whole year has past since you started your jouney. Just very happy for you so much to plan and look forward to

Charleygirl.. were's the email. Having to good a time no doubt. I hope your stocking up on food to bring back with you for Christmas.

Rodney... What did you decide to do. Does your Mum want anything from the US. My mum always liked the beets and pickles. That was about it.

High Tide... How long are you staying in England.

DDL... It also the same about food. My family think I am silly when cant get enough of cakes and savouries. Just a simple thing like sauages or bacon. They dont understand how good they have it.
No Trotty all my Mum wants me to bring her back is a digital camera, she said I just want a nice plain simple to use camera for snap shots, no movies, little does she know that they all I think come with both now,
Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Good luck David, let us know when you have booked your ticket,
My Mum said a few weeks ago that those lovely big plump sausages that we brits love are real small now, not like they used to be, I hope she is wrong,
DDL/Denise, charleygirl, Ed/pegie and all the rest over there ---- please say its not true,
I found the sausages quite large compared to what they are in Canada, and they are soooo much more tastier. I am not much of a sausage eater, but the ones I have had here have been lovely, I usually buy the Sausage with spices and sage ones, mmmm good.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Trotty.
I have a hard time telling the difference sometimes, some weeds look better than the flowers Hahahhaaa, Luckily my wife has the Green Thumb in our house...

Animal in attic... What kind???

Foreclosures, Im not sure how many around here, Id sooner not know, its too many no matter what, it makes for tough competition, devaluing our homes Huhhhhhhh, I try not to worry about things I cant control.

Sausage, funny you mention it, I had Shannon Irish sausages tonight, they are very good if you can find them and their bacon is good too, I drove 100+ miles round trip today to pick up my english food, check aroud your area, maybe you can find them, Expensive but cheaper than steak and you can get a few meals from a packet.

I agree that in the UK many dont know how good they have it, and I mean in so many ways, Food, Medical, vacations and much much more.
Yes Fish I for sure agree with your last sentence, but when I am back and settled in UK I know I will never take the British life and everything it has to offer for granted ever again, all I ask is Mother England the country I was born and raised in will welcome me with open arms and never let me go again,
I did the early voting today, never voted before, ---- couldn't, but now I became an American citizen this year in February --- I said to myself well why not !!!! It was a nice experience really, so easy too, lines of computers, you Just stand there and make your selections by touch screen and then its printed to the computer and thats it, you hand your card to the staff and they give me a sticker that says (I voted in clark county Nevada) I stuck it on the cover of one of my old expired British Passports as a souvenir,
Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, very busy day yesterday, ended up at 2 pm going to council meeting then on to meeting one of our private clients. Having to go back at 7am this morning to do spot check on care workers. Must get a car soon as right now I have to depend on someone giving me a lift if I have to go out to visit clients. I am getting to use my medical knowledge more and more and my ideas are certainly taken seriously, already I have revamped one of their documents.
This weekend will be taken up with packing and getting ready for move on November 1st, then no more moving for at least a year, We had our first frost here in the South of Ayrshire and snow has fallen in the Highlands so winter is definetly on it way, yesterday that old North wind was certainly blowing the leaves off the trees, making that walk in the park very crunchie indeed. Well, better get going still have to take the dog out for a walk,
Jackie, hope that you are feeling better

For those packing to move back home, congratulations, Christmas back with family and old friends , how lovely.

Rodney, not long now.
My goodness Pegie, you are a busy bee these days, so here you go packing and moving again, well good luck and I know the way you describe your new apartment it sounds lovely and I know you will love living there,

I still havent sold my sofa bed & love seat yet, I am getting stressed, the time is running out fast, I have to move the two recliners and the huge heavy 52 inch TV and other stuff over to my friends house, Im Just giving then to him, other stuff too, I just want to get it out of here, the sofas I would even give away if someone would just come and take them out and down the stairs of my apartment, they are just so heavy and bulky,
I will have to hire a U-haul, and my friend is trying to get some help of a couple of 20 ish year old guys who are sons of a friend of his to help us move them out, I will pay them $20 each plus a nice free all they can eat buffet, It would kill me if I was to lift those heavy things down 25 steps, cause I live on the 2nd floor,
we are making a deadline of this Monday to do it,
Yes you know that really good friend of mine Arthur, and we broke up after an argument the night before he left L.V. to go and visit his parents for a couple of months in New York City, well we are back friends again, (PHEW) yes it makes me happy, and he is really doing everything he can to motivate me and get everything out of my apartment, thank goodness for him, cause I was finding it so hard to do everything on my own, its all so overwhelming,
I could have done all this myself in a breeze when I was a lot younger
Well at least my four large suitcases plus one small carry on are all packed and ready to go, but the trouble is Im not anywhere near ready yet,
Oh dear,
Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
Rodney are you in Reno ? If so I hope you are having a great time revisiting old haunts !!
No David afraid not, still working till --- last day Wed 17th October Just a few more days, then I will be officially retired
Then I need to take care of a few things besides getting the rest of my furniture out of my place, and then I am hoping I can take my 500 mile trip from L.V. to Reno, and hopefully stay for a week and visit old friends I have known since the early 80,s oh that would be so nice, my last American (FLING) I would call it,
I dont think I want to drive all that way, Im not too good at long drives anymore, I get too tired, not safe for me or anyone on the road so I will be probably going by Greyhound, leave the driving to them, do you know they have Greyhound in the UK now, my mum told me a few weeks ago,
Then England awaits Just around the corner, and my dream comes true,
Take care David you must be getting very excited, it sounds like you will be leaving about 5 days before me,
Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I found the sausages quite large compared to what they are in Canada, and they are soooo much more tastier. I am not much of a sausage eater, but the ones I have had here have been lovely, I usually buy the Sausage with spices and sage ones, mmmm good.
Oh Pegie thank goodness (PHEW) I think its just that my Mum probably shops at her favorite store and maybe theres are quite small, I wont say anything to her about that, I will just wait and find out for myself real soon when Im Home, I dont like anything spicy, I just like the good old fashioned plain sausages from my youth, I really enjoy grilling them and making a nice sausage sandwhich, also of course in a real traditional english breakfast with the big thick english bacon & fried tomatoes & baked beans & eggs & fried bread cooked to a golden brown in the pan from the bacon grease, Hemmmm oh so yummy
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

Yes you know that really good friend of mine Arthur, and we broke up after an argument the night before he left L.V. to go and visit his parents for a couple of months in New York City, well we are back friends again, (PHEW) yes it makes me happy, and he is really doing everything he can to motivate me and get everything out of my apartment, thank goodness for him, cause I was finding it so hard to do everything on my own, its all so overwhelming
Im just glad you are friends again, you cant put a price on Friends. Good for you both Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Im just glad you are friends again, you cant put a price on Friends. Good for you both Rodney.
Me too Fish, He's a real brick, I shall miss him a lot, but Im not the kind of person that will ever forget true friendship, and when over in UK I will always keep in touch with him frequently,
Rodney.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

A quick recap as I am on my way to the station again - this time via mini-cab, for £25!! Live and learn.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi David I meant to say 27th of this month is my last day at work,
the Edit isn't working right now,
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I am on the move to Ipswich, Suffolk which is why I have not posted or even read this thread for the past three days. Everyone else seems to be busy too, as it is somewhat slim pickings on here! Took the train from Liverpool Street to Ipswich - about an hour and fifteen minutes journey - not long at all. The taxi ride from Ealing to Liverpool took an hour! And cost £50! The taxi driver was nice - lots to talk about, and I am glad he did the driving as the traffic was horrendous. Liverpool Street is newly refurbished after the bombs there a few years back. Now there are no trash containers as a safety measure (leaving explosives in the metal containers), and the loudspeaker reminds you to attend to your luggage at all times, and that unattended luggage will be removed and destroyed. The train was an intercity one, so there was a dining car that sells sandwiches and drinks - there may be more than that, but I am unsure. Perhaps if it were one like the Glasgow Sleeper there would be a fully fledged dining experience to be had. Well, had to come back to London today for another chore, and will return to Ipswich tomorrow. I found out that if you ask at the station for a set train with a cheap price, that is so much more affordable than the regular single fare. For example: single to Ipswich is £30, open return Liverpool St - Ipswich - Liverpool St is £31, and a fixed train at 12 noon is £13! So guess which one I am taking...
Hello again...

Thats good info on pricing, Im sure most of us need to pinch pennines, How long will you be in Ipswich, is it permanant or temporary?

Enjoy...
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again...

Thats good info on pricing, Im sure most of us need to pinch pennines, How long will you be in Ipswich, is it permanant or temporary?

Enjoy...
Looking to stay here, so next week is the trip to the Jobcentre (I already registered with them on the Internet last week) and need to see what else they can do for me. I have no real idea what help I am entitled to, if any, so next week is seek and ye shall find time! I will also register with a local Medical Center. If anyone can point me towards what the next step is, I will be grateful. So far I have papers from the Passport people to fill out, Drivers licence form to complete, already know my NI number, don't know my NHS number, but the medical center will find that for me according to the web site. I have all my photos already taken - did those the first week I landed in London. Do I have to let the Tax people know anything yet - I am not working, so don't see why I should have to - but collectively you all know better than I do! The closer I get to having to do all these things, the less I remember - I guess it is called stress!!! And those of us from the USA are used to that word and its actions.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.