Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by J.J
hello Windsong, Welcome,

We are this year happily back in UK from US, with a contented cat.

Your pet can enter the UK from USA without UK quarantine if you follow this DEFRA procedure.
Start the process at least 6 months before you want your pet to fly.
Follow the steps in the order;
1. Fit your pet with a microchip, (ideally a European ISO standard) record the number on all paperwork.
2. AFTER the microchipping, vaccinate against rabies.
3. Your vet takes a blood sample, if the result is successful your pet can enter the UK 6 months after the test date.
4. Obtain PETS certificate from a Government authorized veterinary - i.e your vet, have USDA endorse it.
5. Vet treats pet for tick and tapeworm between 24-48 hours prior to the time of check-in for the flight.

So it is a few steps, simple, but intimidating if it it your first time, be sure to follow the steps in order and get the paperwork straight.

You can get official website info from DEFRA, search for DEFRA Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) or go here http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...pets/index.htm
Or search in this Forum, there are other postings and threads where people have the same concerns as you.

Best wishes
Thank you, JJ - This is a HUGE relief for me, not having to have them go into quarantine for 6 months. I have two small dogs and two cats and they are already microchipped and vaccinated, so this shouldn't be too difficult. I have a feeling my two years of learning and prep time is going to be just right. I would never leave them behind. If they couldn't go, I wouldn't go. They are family.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh I have a feeling you are going to be returning home much sooner than in two years time.......just stick around here.......you will see......
Would be nice, Bee )) However, it's going to take me that long to save enough just to get back, I think. Somehow I need to estimate how much the move will cost and how much settling in over there will cost.

I may have to rent a home there for a while. I hope they would take four small pets, too. Lots to think about.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know where I can find a comparison of cost of living and standard of living for USA/UK? When I am 60, in two years time, I can elect to begin to receive US social security ($2200 a month) plus a $600 pension from a former employer. I am wondering how far I can get in Britain with $2800 a month. Perhaps I can live like a queen there and not have to work lol! Kidding!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Windsong,

There is a new system for taking pets into the UK. It has something about having a vet give some shots about 6 weeks before your departure. Don't hold me to this.
It's 6 months ...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Does anyone know where I can find a comparison of cost of living and standard of living for USA/UK? When I am 60, in two years time, I can elect to begin to receive US social security ($2200 a month) plus a $600 pension from a former employer. I am wondering how far I can get in Britain with $2800 a month. Perhaps I can live like a queen there and not have to work lol! Kidding!
I'd say you could do pretty well on that - and would be receiving a lot more than most people here in retirement.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
This is wonderful! My pets' shots are always current, including rabies, so they should not have to go into any quarantine in the UK. This was one of my biggest concerns.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd say you could do pretty well on that - and would be receiving a lot more than most people here in retirement.
Thank you. That's comforting. I would like to be able to buy a home at some point after I arrive in the UK but I have to save a downpayment. The terrible economy in my state in the U.S. has eaten up every bit of savings - this is why I have to wait two years before I go back. I have to save

I'd like to be able to return to teaching in high school when I return but I don't know if I have to go back to school to recertify or not. If I have to pay to go to school over there, I wouldn't be able to afford it, having just moved there.

Last edited by windsong; Nov 25th 2010 at 12:38 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

One thing I find really interesting is that many articles from a Google search say that the cost of living is cheaper in the USA. I truly don't believe it. I know it is expensive in the UK but in the USA you pay so much more for many things such as car insurance, health insurance . . .
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:51 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

This is wonderful! My pets' shots are always current, including rabies, so they should not have to go into any quarantine in the UK. This was one of my biggest concerns.
Good for you on being a responsible pet owner and keeping shots up to date.

To avoid disappointment I strongly recommend that you check with DEFRA soon on the procedure they require and the status of your pets vaccinations.
For instance was the microchip number recorded on the vaccination records. Consider starting again with a ISO chip (different to USA chips) and then getting full, not booster shots.

Read the DEFRA website and then give DEFRA a call to discuss your particular situation, I did one time, they were very friendly and helpful, I think that volunteers attend the phones. Their official advice put my mind at rest - and only they can give you the official line.

I kindly suggest you must make no assumptions, when you and your pet arrive in UK it is too late to make corrections or give explanations. The paperwork must be absolutely in order of DEFRA's process. There is no flexibility, the penalty is 6 months quarantine jail for your pets.

But don't let my comments deter or scare you, you have plenty time to figure out the best way ahead for you, when you get the DEFRA process all in order your pets will just waltz into their new country.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.J
Good for you on being a responsible pet owner and keeping shots up to date.

To avoid disappointment I strongly recommend that you check with DEFRA soon on the procedure they require and the status of your pets vaccinations.
For instance was the microchip number recorded on the vaccination records. Consider starting again with a ISO chip (different to USA chips) and then getting full, not booster shots.

Read the DEFRA website and then give DEFRA a call to discuss your particular situation, I did one time, they were very friendly and helpful, I think that volunteers attend the phones. Their official advice put my mind at rest - and only they can give you the official line.

I kindly suggest you must make no assumptions, when you and your pet arrive in UK it is too late to make corrections or give explanations. The paperwork must be absolutely in order of DEFRA's process. There is no flexibility, the penalty is 6 months quarantine jail for your pets.

But don't let my comments deter or scare you, you have plenty time to figure out the best way ahead for you, when you get the DEFRA process all in order your pets will just waltz into their new country.
Thank you, JJ. Excellent point about full vs. booster shots. I didn't think about that. I also didn't know the UK microchips were different. I will have to have them all re-microchipped.

I am glad I have given myself two years to plan all this. I think I need it in order to make the move wisely and sanely. In two years, I will turn 60 and can begin to collect my U.S. social security and my company pension if I have to - and probably will. This will be my safety net as I arrive in my "new" yet original homeland.

Come to think of it, would I be entitled to a British pension/equivalent of social security? I have been away since the age of 23 and have not paid into it. But, if I work in the UK for five years until I reach 65, then perhaps . . .
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, you are even braver than me - 56 years!! Long time to be away from home but good for you in making the decision to go back.

I am in Michigan - terrible economy and unemployment. That, combined, with 10 years of struggling and 30 years of trying to be American when I am not - enough! Time to go home. I am very proud to be British and even though I had to be come a U.S. citizen because of my job I never renounced my British citizenship. If having that good job meant I had to give up my British passport, I never would have taken it. In fact, I would never have set foot on U.S. soil if it hadn't been for my mother remarrying. Coming here may have been the right choice for her but it certainly wasn't for me.
Welcome Windsong and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes - the economy here is horrible and Michigan is one of the worst states for high unemployment. It is very bad here in Ohio too. I am thankful that I still have a decent job and health insurance - very important. I have told both my children that if (God forbid) I were to lose my job and health insurance I would move back to the UK. I wouldn't stick around here worrying about the "what ifs". You will find a lot of help and support on this forum and a lot of good info on moving back - it looks like a lot of people have posted with info on taking your pets home with you so you can worry less about that. Once again - welcome to the forum!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

One thing I find really interesting is that many articles from a Google search say that the cost of living is cheaper in the USA. I truly don't believe it. I know it is expensive in the UK but in the USA you pay so much more for many things such as car insurance, health insurance . . .
Totally agree with this

One only has to check the supermarkets in the UK to see the difference ,I look on line quite a bit -I am happily surprised .

Car insurance will be more for us ,as we will both be driving on US license's to start with though .

Of course homes are more expensive than round here ,that is to be expected seeing as we live in a tiny rural mid -western town .

Good news about your pets
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Welcome Windsong and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes - the economy here is horrible and Michigan is one of the worst states for high unemployment. It is very bad here in Ohio too. I am thankful that I still have a decent job and health insurance - very important. I have told both my children that if (God forbid) I were to lose my job and health insurance I would move back to the UK. I wouldn't stick around here worrying about the "what ifs". You will find a lot of help and support on this forum and a lot of good info on moving back - it looks like a lot of people have posted with info on taking your pets home with you so you can worry less about that. Once again - welcome to the forum!
Thank you, Derry. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

One thing I am feeling already since I joined this forum last night is why didn't I investigate all this sooner. I could have been in the UK by now I wish I had done it 10 years ago but I can't turn back the clock. Better late than never.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:20 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Come to think of it, would I be entitled to a British pension/equivalent of social security? I have been away since the age of 23 and have not paid into it. But, if I work in the UK for five years until I reach 65, then perhaps . . .
Currently you need 30 qualifying years to be awarded a UK State pension. Here is a link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...on/DG_10014671

I have no knowledge of if there would be other benefits available to you. It would be worthwhile looking into the possibility.

Re: pet microchips, not only are the USA and Europe chips different, the scanner for one cannot read the other (there are some combined scanners). So if you bring your pet to UK and it wanders off, a UK vets scanner may not be able to read your chip and connect your pet back to you. USA does have the Europe standard ISO chips available at vets. I seem to recall DEFRA allowing you can arrive here with a US chip provided you bring a scanner that will read it. Again, DEFRA can best advise you with current and future info.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Totally agree with this

One only has to check the supermarkets in the UK to see the difference ,I look on line quite a bit -I am happily surprised .

Car insurance will be more for us ,as we will both be driving on US license's to start with though .

Of course homes are more expensive than round here ,that is to be expected seeing as we live in a tiny rural mid -western town .

Good news about your pets
Hi Gab - Yes, terrific news about the pets. My babies come, too. Yippee!!!

Housing over there does concern me. I grew up in a beautiful home over there and have never lived in a council home or flat. The ones I came across in Scotland were pretty crummy. Yet, I won't be able to afford a home as soon as I get there. I will have to save a downpayment - have no idea how much UK requires as a downpayment either - could be 50% for all I know. I don't mind renting a house for a while - a private house, if possible, and one that will take my two little dogs and two cats.

What are the names of the supermarkets over there? I'd love to see their websites and check prices. Gosh, I need to check prices of so many things - furniture included.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.