Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:05 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hi Lucyloo

Yes, I think we could all write a book!! A meet up one day would be really nice for us all. I am all up for it.
I have even been thinking lately.....some of you coming back alone and are troubled about finding a home and starting on your own.....well, why cant the thought of meeting and sharing a beginner home be something to be considered??? Just a thought, as I sit here sometimes and wish I could win the lottery and run an expat return villa to help out (espescially older) returnees until they get their feet on the ground.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Ayr, lived all of my childhood in Coylton, 4 miles from Ayr. I am sure you have read my posts and the ups and downs of moving back home after 40 years away. First Ayr is one of the most beautiful towns in Scotland, the sea, the history are wonderful. It is one of the few towns that does not seem to be as depressed as the others in Ayrshire.
Secondly after all the ups and down, I spent a good part of the day today thinking if I had done the right thing and would I do it again. The answer is yes, but if I had had more knowledge about the regulations I would have done things differently and would have come more prepared to deal with these ups and downs. Good Luck in your quest and if I can help in any way do not hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by lucyloo1358
I am so glad I have read these posts. I am 59, lived in the US most of my life and have spent most of my time working two or three jobs to save money to visit and live with my family in the UK for 4 or 5 weeks each year. Sometimes times were bad and I had skipped a couple of years.

My only friends in the states are either British or half and half as I am. I have never assimilated in the culture here and now I am the only one left. My mother passed away a couple of years ago and I am now divorced. My cousins in England were always joking they would set me up with someone so I could move there.

I have always been so attached to my family in England as my Dad's side never got attached to my Mum cause she was one of those foreigners. I won't bore you with that!!

So just coming back from a trip home, as I consider it, I was depressed as usual. After having one of my major meltdowns on returning, I said out loud I can't take this any longer I need some sign as what to do. Now I am not a nutcase and I am not prone to yelling things out in the air. So don't visualize me as one of those types. The next day at work on a break I, out of a whim, checked the UK Borders website which I had not been on in years. To my surprise a new law has been passed.

I had always been upset about the fact that anyone born in February 1961 to sometime in 1982 could obtain British citizenship if they were born outside of the UK but their mother was a British citizen. I was once again left out in the cold. NO idea why those years were chosen but they were.

Well, what a shock. The new law that comes in effect January 2010, states that anyone born before 1961 will now be allowed to apply for citizenship through their mother in the same way a father could pass down citizenship. I am going insane. I can't believe it.

Now the big choice do I start over at my age or stay here and put up with life as it always has been and work two jobs to visit 3 or 4 weeks. I am getting older and how long can I do that. My health insurance, and I have not been sick as of yet is over $450.00 a month alone with a 5000 deductible. I called a very good friend of mine who lives in Ayr and she said, you are making a big mistake to stay, she moved back 7 years ago and has never looked back. She encouraged me and said that was the best choice of her life. She said even on a rainy, drizzly cold day, with no one about to talk to she is the happiest person on this planet. Go for it.

So I know I got carried away. but I just pray that my citizenship will be approved and I will be moving in the next year or so. I am so excited at the prospect of starting the life I have wanted All my life.

All the best to everyone on here!! Also, reading so many other stories I think it would be great to meet. We would all have so many stories to share.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Oct 25th 2009 at 7:10 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Calle: I would be up to help with that in any way I could. I think that is exactly what is needed. If you want to get together and talk about it, let me know.
Originally Posted by callé
Hi Lucyloo

Yes, I think we could all write a book!! A meet up one day would be really nice for us all. I am all up for it.
I have even been thinking lately.....some of you coming back alone and are troubled about finding a home and starting on your own.....well, why cant the thought of meeting and sharing a beginner home be something to be considered??? Just a thought, as I sit here sometimes and wish I could win the lottery and run an expat return villa to help out (espescially older) returnees until they get their feet on the ground.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lucyloo1358
I am so glad I have read these posts. I am 59, lived in the US most of my life and have spent most of my time working two or three jobs to save money to visit and live with my family in the UK for 4 or 5 weeks each year. Sometimes times were bad and I had skipped a couple of years.

My only friends in the states are either British or half and half as I am. I have never assimilated in the culture here and now I am the only one left. My mother passed away a couple of years ago and I am now divorced. My cousins in England were always joking they would set me up with someone so I could move there.

I have always been so attached to my family in England as my Dad's side never got attached to my Mum cause she was one of those foreigners. I won't bore you with that!!

So just coming back from a trip home, as I consider it, I was depressed as usual. After having one of my major meltdowns on returning, I said out loud I can't take this any longer I need some sign as what to do. Now I am not a nutcase and I am not prone to yelling things out in the air. So don't visualize me as one of those types. The next day at work on a break I, out of a whim, checked the UK Borders website which I had not been on in years. To my surprise a new law has been passed.

I had always been upset about the fact that anyone born in February 1961 to sometime in 1982 could obtain British citizenship if they were born outside of the UK but their mother was a British citizen. I was once again left out in the cold. NO idea why those years were chosen but they were.

Well, what a shock. The new law that comes in effect January 2010, states that anyone born before 1961 will now be allowed to apply for citizenship through their mother in the same way a father could pass down citizenship. I am going insane. I can't believe it.

Now the big choice do I start over at my age or stay here and put up with life as it always has been and work two jobs to visit 3 or 4 weeks. I am getting older and how long can I do that. My health insurance, and I have not been sick as of yet is over $450.00 a month alone with a 5000 deductible. I called a very good friend of mine who lives in Ayr and she said, you are making a big mistake to stay, she moved back 7 years ago and has never looked back. She encouraged me and said that was the best choice of her life. She said even on a rainy, drizzly cold day, with no one about to talk to she is the happiest person on this planet. Go for it.

So I know I got carried away. but I just pray that my citizenship will be approved and I will be moving in the next year or so. I am so excited at the prospect of starting the life I have wanted All my life.

All the best to everyone on here!! Also, reading so many other stories I think it would be great to meet. We would all have so many stories to share.
Lucyloo, that is brilliant, there is no doubt your British citizenship will get approved, but, you must make sure you have all the necessary documentation. Get a copy of your mother's birth certiicate from England, her marriage and your birth certificates all organized and it will make the process a doddle. A word of advice, sending a request to England is a little dodgey at this time on account of the postal strikes, use Purolator (or some other courier company of your choice) just to make sure your request, and the money order required, get over there quickly so your request can be dealt with asap. I have used Purolator 3 times recently and cannot say enough about how efficient they are.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hi Lucyloo

reporting in with no real news...house still up and waiting for sold house to be removed from the newspaper so I can get activity..more papers are now in place and xtra lite luggage and laptop are in place...glad Easterndawn keeps on keeping on.... been reading other posters opinions on Uk once your home
would your idea be the same as post #533 or would this be something entirely different...a great innovation!...
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I really think that this idea of locating a house that would be used by returning Uk citizens could be done if one could find a few sponsors and set up a foundation. I think this is a very viabile idea, have been trying to think of a way to get it off the ground though, if any one who has already moved to my area of East Ayrshire or close to, would be interested in getting together to brain storm, let me know.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:54 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
reporting in with no real news...house still up and waiting for sold house to be removed from the newspaper so I can get activity..more papers are now in place and xtra lite luggage and laptop are in place...glad Easterndawn keeps on keeping on.... been reading other posters opinions on Uk once your home
would your idea be the same as post #533 or would this be something entirely different...a great innovation!...
Ha, ha,ha. Must have missed that bit. Great minds think alike , dont they??
It would be a brilliant thing though, wouldnt it? I had dreams of running a B&B for years. That didnt happen as I didnt know where to start. hmmm. Some of us need to get together tto make this a reality.
Hope your house sells soon.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:05 am
Home at last

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I really think that this idea of locating a house that would be used by returning Uk citizens could be done if one could find a few sponsors and set up a foundation. I think this is a very viabile idea, have been trying to think of a way to get it off the ground though, if any one who has already moved to my area of East Ayrshire or close to, would be interested in getting together to brain storm, let me know.
I have sent you a PM
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I really think there is a real need for this at this time. I think that if successful could become a very big thing with perhaps more than one house througout UK. I'm excited!!!
Ha, ha,ha. Must have missed that bit. Great minds think alike , dont they??
It would be a brilliant thing though, wouldnt it? I had dreams of running a B&B for years. That didnt happen as I didnt know where to start. hmmm. Some of us need to get together tto make this a reality.
Hope your house sells soon.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:08 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
reporting in with no real news..:
No more heartbreaking tales of the heartless, mean Canadian government kicking out droves of jobless, homeless truckers ? You never did tell us. What has happened to these poor, unfortunate souls ? Is your friend still sobbing at Walmart ?
I still can't find where it's the government being heartless, more like rogue trucking companies. Seems that the government are actually trying to plug loopholes so that this sort of thing can't happen in the future. Please be kind enough to let us know. You did say that you would.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Simon Legree: Are you lurking in the wings waiting, honestly your like a dog with a bone, just wont let it go will you. As for the government plugging loopholes, of course they are! Mr. Harper always has loopholes to plug after the bathwater has emptied out. He probable had to ask President Obama what he should do!

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
No more heartbreaking tales of the heartless, mean Canadian government kicking out droves of jobless, homeless truckers ? You never did tell us. What has happened to these poor, unfortunate souls ? Is your friend still sobbing at Walmart ?
I still can't find where it's the government being heartless, more like rogue trucking companies. Seems that the government are actually trying to plug loopholes so that this sort of thing can't happen in the future. Please be kind enough to let us know. You did say that you would.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Oct 27th 2009 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Simon Legree: Are you lurking in the wings waiting, honestly your like a dog with a bone, just wont let it go will you. As for the government plugging loopholes, of course they are! Mr. Harper always has loopholes to plug after the bathwater has emptied out. He probable had to ask President Obama what he should do!
I would'nt ask OBama for a quarter- he is a very dangerous man!!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748
That's an interesting comment.........what makes you say it, I am curious, as there is something about Obama that I can't put my finger on........
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am also wondering why you would say that. I quite like the man and his politics. I was very pleased to see a African-American in the Whitehouse and so far have not seen anything dangerous about him. When I said what I said it was that Mr. Harper seems to always be trying to emulate President Obama, it was not a derogative statement against President Obama.

Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Roger that Shelley!..Not only does Obama hold the office of President but in a move contradictary to the Constitution of the United States for his post, has taken up another position outside Us in the chair of the UN Security Council.

He is the first President of the US to seat the chair of the United Nations Security Council.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.